Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
WOW! intellesting, somehow i missed any posts about modifying the hogues. those dont look shabby at all, very nice!

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by MadMooner
What you folks doing for mounts/rings?

700 compatability? Seems like its diminutiveness might make a rail a good idea over 2 piece mounts?

Shorter, stiffer action, no? Two piece Warne bases.

I was thinking of spacing between rings. Thought the little action might of placed them unduly close to each other. Pics look great though.

The stocks look killer!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Nice work! Thanks for posting. Inspirational. I think you just cost me $359 for a rifle and a couple stocks... I'll post some pics when the project is underway. I'm envisioning a something very "mini" when its all done.

Is that a mini action on the buck in the last pic?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What you folks doing for mounts/rings?

700 compatability? Seems like its diminutiveness might make a rail a good idea over 2 piece mounts?

Shorter, stiffer action, no? Two piece Warne bases.

I was thinking of spacing between rings. Thought the little action might of placed them unduly close to each other. Pics look great though.

The stocks look killer!

Yah, I got to thinking on spacing too. Good point. I edited after you got the quote I guess.

Thanks for the Kudos.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Nice work! Thanks for posting. Inspirational. I think you just cost me $359 for a rifle and a couple stocks... I'll post some pics when the project is underway. I'm envisioning a something very "mini" when its all done.

Is that a mini action on the buck in the last pic?

It is, a Grendel killer.. Tempted to ditch the whole forearm beside a slab sticking out, fully under the barrel, a few inches.... It's solid and thick enough, I THINK.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can see on #1 and 2 the foreaem tip is not real rounded, kinda U shaped. There's a gap that opens up there if you do shape to round. As seen on the 1500, I used some Devcon PlastiSteel (the reliable epoxy for this material) to fill that gap, and allow the fuller rounded shape, ala Kimber.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/26/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the stocks are actually made by HTI.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I think the stocks are actually made by HTI.

Hogue titties inc?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interesting, don't recall Howa announcing that previously. Wonder if thee composition is the same..... Wonder if HTI makes the overmolds? Hmmmm. Thanks for the info.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I picked up a mini barreled action in 7.62x39 with the light barrel from Brownells on clearance a few years ago. It's got the cheap plastic mag and bottom metal. I was about to order a Boyd's laminate for it because I was tired of looking for a cheap Tupperware stock for it.

Then I saw this post and thought for the price of the Boyd's I should just put it towards this combo. I'll keep the adult stock on the Grendel and put the youth in the 7.62. Might be a bit of free float but it'll be ok.

Bb

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
First post here but could not resist. I picked up a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel Youth last year in case my kids wanted to hunt or a friends kid.I’ll be honest it was a challenge for me to get it to group. It’s really light! It does not like factory SST, Hornady Black is decent. It really likes the Federal TNT 90gr. I put a butt pad on it to increase LOP for me and slapped a Burris Fullfield (read about them here). It’s a great little gun. Killed my first hog with it Sunday. An estimated 250-300# sow at 25-30 yards. Dropped her where she stood.
Edit: As noted it is not a Hogue stock. Some kind of plastic. Reminds more of one on a Ruger Predator. With the 20” #1 barrel no flex issues on mine.

Attached Images
Last edited by chefcreed; 09/27/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cool. That's sure a fatty!

As per calling it a Hogue stock, I'm guilty. They're the same dimensions, contours, shape and pattern as the overmolds. Same same. Same pillars. Howa has sold the 1500 with the overmold.... That poly is likely the same chit that's under the rubber on the Hogue labeled overmolded stocks. Someone should kick the mold maker's ass for making them so fat, whatever company(ies) they worked for! LOL

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/27/19. Reason: edits, duhhh

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Here is a better pic of her and the wound from the tnt bullet. Interested to see how it does on deer but it would need to be close for me to try.

Attached Images
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Cool. That's sure a fatty!

As per calling it a Hogue stock, I'm guilty. They're the same dimensions, contours, shape and pattern as the overmolds. Same same. Same pillars. Howa has sold the 1500 with the overmold.... That poly is likely the same chit that's under the rubber on the Hogue labeled overmolded stocks. Someone should kick the mold maker's ass for making them so fat, whatever company(ies) they worked for! LOL

I looked at the ad again and it does say the Youth stock is a Hogue? This is a great deal for someone wanting a “truck” gun that handle different scenarios. Mine has the linked 20 MOA rail and does the trick. I’d be careful not to over scope it. MtnBoomer, Your stocks look amazing. Are you sure you can’t offer it as a service?! Any recommendations on product for painting my black Hogue? I think you said one was Duracoat.

Last edited by chefcreed; 09/28/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you'd want to mess with an airbrush, Duracoat is pretty forgiving. It's a simple 12:1 ratio so tea and tablespoons work. There's aerosol version too but I have not used it. But, lots of great stuff has come from cans of Krylon we've had lots of fun with painting threads. Ill try to link you to some.

I suspect both mini stocks will be the hard types, not overmolded rubber ones.... Danged if I know for sure.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/28/19. Reason: Cuz I changed words

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Curious question.....

Is it possible to retrofit an Alpine stock so that it would work on a mini action?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.