Home
I hear good and bad thing about this rifle. This would be my first rifle since I order a remington 700, ADL and when I went to pick it up today at Gander Mountain it was all scratched and full of dings... Amazing. They didn't have a new rifle in a box to exchanged it, they only had the one on display. I didnt feel like waiting another week for a new one in a box, They offer me a deal because of their [bleep] on a Remington 783 .243 caliber for $260 + tax. So I took it. What do you guys think ? On the + side I can buy a better scope.
What? You got F'd.
Why ? And dont hold back. I'm already piss
The 783 is junk. You can just ignore that, go forward with the recommendations made and have fun. Don't worry about it.
It's really not junk. It's not an adl but they're put together same as a savage and somewhat better in some ways.

Check out whittaker guns and see if you can put an adl on layaway for later
Oh, and I forgot, they also threw in a year subscription to the Good Sam Club for free.
Yah, should be just great... Got money left over for a scope too boot.
I know how you feel, dont pull that on me now, I want honest opinions. After all this rifle is going to my son when I get my 700. You won't hurt my feelings.
I would not be afraid of that Rem 783-- I own two and have shot 3 others. The two I own are a .308 (standard configuration) and a 6.5cm heavy barrel. Clean up the barrel channel if there are any contact points and adjust the trigger until you are comfortable with it. Get rid of the junk scope and rings that it comes with and put on a picatinny rail, good rings and decent glass.

The .308 did not like 155gr Amax but loved 168s. It shot the Hornady Black factory ammo, 3 shot groups around .6".

The 6.5 is even better-- it is the 24" heavy barrel- it shoots handloaded 140 ELDMs at 2850fps and around 3/8". I have 250 rounds through it and have taken it out to 800 yards on sub moa targets with no issue. I think if you dropped it into a chassis and fed it from AI mags it would make a helluva good budget target/comp rifle.

The other 3 were a group of .270s that were being donated for a group hunt. I took them apart, cleaned, remounted and re-torqued everything to include the cheap package scopes. Then dialed them in with Winchester silverbox 130gr and each shot 1" or just better and each hunt scored with their rifle!
Its fine for a starter. Try it out and do some learning. Its not a bad rifle its just not a classic traditional rifle is all.
Plus with the short action and standard bolt face you can get a pre-fit barrel and swap it to anything your heart desires!! 22cm, 6cm, 7/08, .308 etc etc
I'm an admitted gun snob and don't own a 783. However I sell guns for a living and don't consider the 783 junk. I rate it with the other similar "econo" guns from Savage, Mossberg, Ruger and formerly, Marlin. I get quite a few in the shop to be sighted in and have never seen a problem. The loading port is rather tight, but that's about all I can gripe about. It is head and shoulders above the discontinued (thankfully) 710 / 715 / 770 series. THOSE were junk...
buy some blue box federal ammo and enjoy shooting it. It will never be a collector, neither will an ADL.

It will shoot better than you can for quite a while.

when you can shoot better than it, move up to a different rifle.

I wouldn't change the scope either, unless it falls apart.

sight in with your ammo and leave the scope alone.
Thanks I didn't know that. I love the forum.
SCGunNit,

Thanks you for your expert opinion
Good tip, thanks. I will got to the back of my house and do a little shooting. I live out in the country...
I haven’t handled all the entry level rifles but the one that stood out is the 783. I have a couple of heavy barreled ones and both are shooters. They have good triggers and a decent magazine. They both feed/cycle well and the bluing and finish is better than the axis. The one thing that stood out is how easy they cocked. Night and day compared to the RAR.

I think you made a decent choice.

On a side note, the barrel on both of my rifles needed some more clearance in the barrel channel. ( 10min with a dremel) . It was rubbing on the sides.
Thanks, not feeling so bad anymore lol. I mean is my first rifle and I kind ofmdisnt want to throw in too much money because I was afraid of picking up the wrong rifle and then I would be $1000 on the whole with a rifle that I wasn't happy about, like Sycamore said, It will shoot better than I can for quite a while. when I can shoot better than it, move up to a different rifle.
I;ll take any other rifle over a Rem 783....Savage Axis is head and shoulders above it in my opinion...

Friend's son gave on to his dad for his 70th birthday...in 7 Mag... wouldn't even chamber a round...
Send it back and we'll replace it... that one wouldn't chamber the round either... factory ammo..

Sent that one in and Rem replaced it again...this one would chamber a Round...

immediately sold it, and bought a Savage 116, and never looked back....
Damn, I guess I would hate it too.... but since I dont know much about rifles. I'm sure I will love it lol. Ignorance is bliss
Damn, I guess I would hate it too.... but since I dont know much about rifles. I'm sure I will love it lol. Ignorance is bliss
More so than the 783, which ultimately does not sound too bad, at all, per the other guys, you got F'd on the transaction. A 700 243 ain't hard to locate and is a lot more rifle to start with. Good luck, be careful, and have fun.
Originally Posted by Elliot

Elliot,

don't let the fact that someone else doesn't care for the rifle. dissuade you from enjoying your purchase....

if an when you outgrow it ( if you ever do), you can always replace it with...

I hope you enjoy it and it gives you many many years of enjoyment and good service...

cheers and best regards...
Is anyone beside me beginning to smell a rat here?
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Ohhh no not at all. Just couldn't be. Don't be silly.

Here's my 700 243.
Notice how sexy it is?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Here's my 700 243.
Notice how sexy it is?

that actually is quite sexy
Personally i will not own a newer remington unless it is a Sendero or a heavy varminter. Got tired of sending back 2 MOA guns and then telling me it is well within spec. Everybody worth a damn has an accuracy guaranty.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Here's my 700 243.
Notice how sexy it is?

that actually is quite sexy

Why thank you! It was born a 700 ADL....
Nice, what kind of model 700 is it ?
You should have just bought a Tikka and left that Remington {all Remingtons} junk on the shelf. That way you wouldn't have to rebuild the whole fuggin thing before you had a decent rifle.
It's ok, I wanted to buy a rifle caliber .243 as a start up gun. when I get used to it and understand what I like and dislike I will buy a real rifle. Didn't want to make a costly mistake. Thanks.
Here are some pictures of my Rem
783 I will sight that scope today

How did work out for you today?
$260?

That is expensive for a piece of junk. I would easily opted for a blemished new 700. Not much thinking involved in that decision.
It shot awesome today, bolt loads cartridge easily and low recoil, the scope is not the greatest but gets the job done. Not bad at all, for a start up 4ifle I'm very happy with it. Thanks for asking Pymi. I guess when I get my next rifle I would know exactly what I want.
What kind of rifle you have Pymi?
Great to hear it went well for you that will get you by for now then pass it on to your kid to start out with.
Winchester ammunition has a $5 a box mail in rebate going on with the power point ammo limit 2 boxes.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I'm an admitted gun snob and don't own a 783. However I sell guns for a living and don't consider the 783 junk. I rate it with the other similar "econo" guns from Savage, Mossberg, Ruger and formerly, Marlin. I get quite a few in the shop to be sighted in and have never seen a problem. The loading port is rather tight, but that's about all I can gripe about. It is head and shoulders above the discontinued (thankfully) 710 / 715 / 770 series. THOSE were junk...

+1. The 783 is the late, lamented Marlin X7 series with the "styling" Remington seems to think an inexpensive gun must have. It's a solid economy rifle, and a good deal at $260.

The 710/770 series WAS junk.
Are these the guns Blackheart builds? Nice work
Originally Posted by natman

+1. The 783 is the late, lamented Marlin X7 series with the "styling" Remington seems to think an inexpensive gun must have. It's a solid economy rifle, and a good deal at $260.

The 710/770 series WAS junk.

Agree completely on the 710/770 Did not care for the Remington 798/799 rifles either, although my Interarms Mark X was built by the same company, Zastava. The Mark X was head and shoulders better than the 798/799.
Thought I better fess up.... I was just shopping for one of these! I caught myself before it went too far, but I was looking! LOL grin
Hah!
Never owned a rifle before, I shot many from my friends, I can tell you that I'm very please with the purchase. I know there are better rifles out there but for the money, this one is awesome.
Nothing wrong with starting off, as you are, gaining experience as to what works for you. I have lost a whole lot of money, through the years, trying out a new caliber, rifle, etc and trading/selling it. No way do you ever really come out doing that, ha. Then there are guys that want a "truck gun", one they don't mind getting roughed up/wet/muddy, whatever and they will replace it if it fails them. My kinfolk down in East Tx have been doing that last one with Savages for years. They strap in the four wheelers and its raining straight down, drive down a muddy pipeline ( 90 miles an hour!) then sit in a box stand for hours. Shoot their deer ( where they hunt, no way a buck can grow old enough to be "big") usually at 75yds or less( no need for awe inspiring accuracy so cheapest factory ammo) and usually with a7mm Rem Mag ( just in case you get a long shot) ha. Have a wreck and ruin it, bend the barrel or break it? Have it rust the trigger up shut? No sweat, run down to Academy and get another combo...in 7mm Rem Mag! ha You just enjoy "yourself", take good notes. You will learn a great deal about what works for what/how you want to use a rifle. Have a ball!
Do your part and find or load the correct ammo and it will be a sub MOA shooter. A looker? probably not but you're not going to get a looker for under 600.00 bux
© 24hourcampfire