Home
Posted By: kandpand Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
Looking for a bolt action 223 to shoot paper and to hunt whitetail deer. Which factory bolt actions have the correct length mag box or detachable magazine as well a a fast twist barrel?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
Well, that sure is the crux of the 24hcf and all drama associated.

You can certainly kill deer with a slow twist .223 though

Originally Posted by Higbean

Yep, a 1in 9 works just fine.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19

I understand and hated to even post the question but I don't own a 223 and want to buy one. I wondered if any factory 223 bolt actions had everything the 24HCF deems necessary?
Closest would be the Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 with Accurate Mags or MDT 10 rounders I do believe.

Tikka makes a 1-8" twist but mags have to be modded.

It really is a shame nobody has done better.

Building schit right has become way easier though.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
Tikka T3X with a 1-8" twist is an option you may want to consider.

My apologies to Higbean, I didn't see your post.
kandpand,

I have Shaen Rifles doing a 21", 1-7" Bartlein in .223AI throated for 75's and 88's at the moment.

It'd be easier to build what you want and Shaen has stuff figured out rather well.

OSU,

Apologies?

Ha!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-eldm-advice-in-a-1-8-tikka#Post13634027

And...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...223-75-grain-eld-m-for-deer#Post13784426
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
The Tikka is the easy choice if you want a moderately priced quality rifle.
The Sierra 77 grain TMK performs beautifully at magazine length
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
How heavy of a rifle are you willing to accept?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/weatherby-vanguard-223rem-heavy-barrel.html?___SID=U#.XacMoeHYrnE
Posted By: ingwe Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
Closest would be the Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 with Accurate Mags or MDT 10 rounders I do believe.

Another vote for Tikka here, for sure. Get the 1 in 8 twist.

No real reason to modify the mags unless you just feel compelled to shoot 75 grainers.

Lots of truly good deer bullets in the 55-65 grain range that require no mods.

Another one I just bought was a HOWA 1500 Kuiu with a 1 in 8 twist....been very happy with it, but you won't be modifying the mag on it. Accuracy wise I think the Tikka has the edge.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
55 grain TSX out of a plain old Stevens 200 1:9 twist worked very well for my daughter for a couple of years in Oklahoma. A buddy used the 63 grain Sierra SMP out of a 1:12 barrel to kill deer down there as well. So I'd buy the rifle you like the best regardless of twist, then find a bullet that'll work for your application.

He went whitetail hunting with his Ruger Precision rifle.

- No one
Posted By: Seafire Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by taylorce1
55 grain TSX out of a plain old Stevens 200 1:9 twist worked very well for my daughter for a couple of years in Oklahoma. A buddy used the 63 grain Sierra SMP out of a 1:12 barrel to kill deer down there as well. So I'd buy the rifle you like the best regardless of twist, then find a bullet that'll work for your application.

that 63 gr SMP Sierra is a darn good deer bullet....

but my favorite of the old slow twist 22 cal bullets for deer is the often overlooked Speer 70 grain SMP...

a stiff load of RL 15 in a 223 case, out of my Win Featherweight clocks at about 2950 fps...
blacktails taken with that rifle have been bang flop kills...

a spinal cord hit on the backbone on one shot at 200 yds in the neck from behind, came out the throat the size of an open book.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
My Tikka really likes 75gr hpbt and has no mag issues
Posted By: lastround Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
I have a Boat Paddle Ruger Stainless Mk II that does all I want from a 223. I think I’ll keep it.
Posted By: tzone Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by kandpand
Looking for a bolt action 223 to shoot paper and to hunt whitetail deer. Which factory bolt actions have the correct length mag box or detachable magazine as well a a fast twist barrel?

Used Kimber Mt.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
I'm thinking of sending my Ruger American Ranch stock to CDI for the DBM install. The 5.56 throat is perfect for the 75 Amax. and 1-8" twist. Factory rotary mag sucks. I have a bunch of AI 223 mags (that work and allow longer COL). Anybody tried the CDI conversion for $149?

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/ruger-american-short-action-factory-stock-dbm/
CDI is no more.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I'm thinking of sending my Ruger American Ranch stock to CDI for the DBM install. The 5.56 throat is perfect for the 75 Amax. and 1-8" twist. Factory rotary mag sucks. I have a bunch of AI 223 mags (that work and allow longer COL). Anybody tried the CDI conversion for $149?

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/ruger-american-short-action-factory-stock-dbm/

I think he died.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
I’m happy with my Montana. I have loads for the 55 SGK, 65 SGK and the 70 grain Speer Semi-Sptizer which is more of a round nose IMO. I use the 70 Speer on deer and it works well, just don’t expect the type of blood trail you would get from a larger rifle. I haven’t had a deer stop that bullet yet, but the exits are small in comparison to deer that I kill with bigger cartridges.
Posted By: Buzzaw Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
BUDGET???

BARRETT ????
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
If you don't mind $700 Tikka. If you want to keep it closer to, or maybe under $400, the Ruger Predator. My brother has an 8 twist Tikka and I have the Predator. Both shoot 1/2 MOA groups with decent ammo. I've had good luck with 75 gr Hornady ammo. Not sure if my brother has tried anything that long in his Tikka.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/16/19
Thanks for all of the responses.

Budget? Kimber Montana is probably close to the top.

Barrett? Does Barrett have a 223 yet?
Have a Kimber Montana 223 and I would recommend that. Might try a Fieldcraft myself someday if they ever get it out.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/17/19

Barrett does not have a .223 out yet.

For Barrett money, you could do a Tikka in a McMillan/Manners, inlet for m5 dbm and run 5 rd Accurate Mags.
Kimber isn't making a .223 Montana anymore either fwiw
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/17/19

Barrett does not have a .223 out yet.

For Barrett money, you could do a Tikka in a McMillan/Manners, inlet for m5 dbm and run 5 rd Accurate Mags.

Or look for a Barrett in 22-250. There were some on sale for ~$1200 earlier this year. Not sure if there are any still floating around at that price. Whittaker’s might know.
Best part about a 22-250 Field Craft is you could punch it .22 Creedmoor, which isn't a .223 last I checked.

smile
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/17/19
Sucks about CDI. Didn’t know that.

100% yes on the Fieldcraft 22-250. No on the Fieldcraft 223 if ever produced due to short mag box.

I have a Ruger American 1-8” 22-250 for sale in classifieds. Whittaker special with the fast twist and stainless barrel. And you can use the better mags, which I do.
Posted By: RickF Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/17/19
I have had quite a number of 223s over the years. The only one that has stayed, and will never leave, is the Kimber Montana. More precisely, once I got it the rest became dust collectors.

A no-brainer, be patient and find a used one.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/17/19

Kimber isn't making a .223 Montana anymore either fwiw

True, but Whittaker’s had twenty-five 223 Montana’s from Kimber’s final run of the caliber back in late Feb. that were priced at $1150.00 shipped. Might be worth a call to see if any are left.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/17/19
I like the little Howa Mini 223 with 22" tube. The magazine is not my favorite but have gotten used to it. It accurate, lightweight and well balanced. 1:9 twist on these.
Posted By: sako706 Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/17/19
I own both a Tikka and several CZ 527 rifles, including .223, .222. 204 and .22 Hornet. For the money, buy a CZ and never look back. One of the most accurate out of the box rifles you can own, center fire or rim fire. But, I also own a Savage .204 that cost less than either a Tikka or a CZ and it will also shoot .5", or less groups.
If you move forward with the Tikka purchase the larger magazine and replace the bolt stop to utilize the longer OAL.

For the stated purposes, you don't really need a long mag box or a fast twist. As has been said, Hornady 60 grain & Sierra 63 SMP would do both jobs splendidly all day long, even in a 1:12 twist.

For similar purposes to yours, I ended up with a Marin X7S that has a blind box & a 9-twist. It was goin' too cheap, & felt good in my hands. Such as it is, I don't live or hunt in an area where I could watch longer bullets show their stuff. I've used the previously mentioned bullets, along with the 55 grain TTSX with complete satisfaction.

Just another opinion. No doubt you'll get plenty more.

Let us know what you choose.

FC
Posted By: Shadow Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 10/20/19
Take a hard look at Howa's Mini Action Rifle in .223. All the current Howa Mini's are 1-8 twist in .223.

https://www.legacysports.com/wp-content/uploads/LSI_Catalog2019_web.pdf#page=14
I’d hunt down a used Kimber 84m in 223. Mine is sweettttttttt.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/24/19
I wanted to follow up with what I purchased. I found a Tikka T3 locally at a good price. I have wanted to try a Tikka and a 223 so this rifle fits both wants. What is the best for mounts and rings for the Tikka?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/24/19
I’m a big fan of the sportsmatch. Several threads in the last year on the same topic if you do a search.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/24/19
Here is one; still trying to find the most recent ...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12730439/tikka-t3x-mounts-and-rings
Posted By: wilbilly Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/24/19

It really is a shame nobody has done better.

Building schit right has become way easier though.

The one I got from you will shoot 75s into knots
Posted By: Dre Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/24/19
Talley rings are best bang for the $
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/24/19
Modified Talley lows from Whittaker Guns. 16bore’s dad use to make them. They’re all I have on my Tikkas.

And happy birthday.

P
Posted By: skeen Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/24/19
I wanted to follow up with what I purchased. I found a Tikka T3 locally at a good price. I have wanted to try a Tikka and a 223 so this rifle fits both wants. What is the best for mounts and rings for the Tikka?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Congrats on your rifle and Happy Birthday!
Posted By: RJM Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/26/19
Friend of mine bought a Winchester Ranger Model 70 back about 20 years ago at Walmart...1/12 twist I believe... Now has 40+- whitetails and hogs all one shot flops. Ammo of choice has been the Winchester 64 grain PowerPoint and a few with the Trophy Bonded.

Had two doe run at the shot...one made 30 yards and the other did a little circle and drop...all others just flopped right there. Only bullet recovered was from a 150# 8-point that his wife shot in the shoulder at 150 yards...bullet was recovered under the skin on the opposite side...

I sent him a Remington 600 Mohawk that was rechambered to .223 from .222. He took one deer with it so far with I believe a 63 grain Sierra SMP that I sent him...

His Uncle used to kill all his deer with a .222...no fast twist guns back then.

If I was looking for a lightweight .223 it would be the Remington Model SEVEN stainless synthetic...they do now have a 1/9 twist barrel...

I have one of the Tikkas purchased from Mackay sagebrush...a very fine gun...but is long...you should like yours...

Bob
A model seven stainless in 223 would be fun.
My CZ 527 is extremely accurate, can't imagine needing anything more, lightweight and balanced well.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Which 223 bolt action? - 12/26/19
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by taylorce1

This
© 24hourcampfire