Home
Posted By: jorgeI 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
Decided to give the new Sierra Game Changers a go using 46.5gr Varget, BR-2 primers and WW brass seated to 28.10. Not bad and these should hold up at 308 speeds.. three shot groups:

Pre-64 70 Featherwight...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Browning Safari Grade, 22" pencil barrel...
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
I suppose you could live with that, were you forced to do so... grin

FC
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
Jorge using a Sierra bullet? What is going on? Is it just for target practice or are you planing to hunt with that bullet? The groups are excellent, I'm betting that it would be a great bullet to try on a hog hunt.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
I currently have the FWT sighted with 130 TTSXs (they shoot almost exactly 1" below the Sierras) and the Browning with 165 Partitions, but the accuracy of the Sierras is amazing. Going to try them on Georgia hogs as soon as I can. Hopefully I can find a big boar to test it on his gristle plate..
Posted By: mathman Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
How much powder compression is required for that load?
I'm just kidding you. I remember you saying that the 308 was like the missionary position with the lights off. Knowing your opinion of Sierra bullets, it would be like adding a condom the scenario. grin
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I'm just kidding you. I remember you saying that the 308 was like the missionary position with the lights off. Knowing your opinion of Sierra bullets, it would be like adding a condom the scenario. grin

Spot on smile it is an exceedingly boring cartridge and I too was a victim of Sierra tinfoil years ago, but I know they have been very accurate bullets. I hope these Game Chagers are indeed a game changer for them. But I've been known to change....once in a blue moon.

As to compression, I have no idea, math. All I can tell you is the bolt, in both rifles can be lifted with no effort and many folks here use that load. In fact this is where I got it. Max book I believe is 46gr of Varget, so I figured .5 was no big deal
Posted By: mathman Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
Pressure wasn't my concern, I like to load straight from the powder measure and when I throw 46 grains I have to take steps to get it settled down into the case. I don't like to crunch powder.
Oh. Well there is some slight crunching. Case gets pretty full.
Boring is okay, it gets the job done with no drama. The 2 rifles you mentioned are classics, very elegant. My main hunting cartridge is equally boring, a 30-06, but it works.
I have two Safari Grades in 06. Both beautiful guns and they shoot! One thing you will NOT see me change is having a plastic stocked rifle (other than an AR)...
Jorge, I agree, there is nothing like a beautiful wood stock. My Beretta Mato originally came with a fiberglass stock but I replaced with with a OEM XXX Claro walnut stock when Beretta had them on clearance. I don't have the pictures currently and haven't posted pictures here, but if you google my screen name, ar15a292f + beretta mato + opticstalk you can see pictures that I posted on that forum. If you get a chance check them out and let me know what you think. Sorry about hi-jacking your thread.
Posted By: hanco Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
What is the difference between a Game Changer and a GameKing beside the tip? The GameKings are very accurate in 308’s and 30-06’s for me. They have no problem with deer and pigs.
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Jorge, I agree, there is nothing like a beautiful wood stock. My Beretta Mato originally came with a fiberglass stock but I replaced with with a OEM XXX Claro walnut stock when Beretta had them on clearance. I don't have the pictures currently and haven't posted pictures here, but if you google my screen name, ar15a292f + beretta mato + opticstalk you can see pictures that I posted on that forum. If you get a chance check them out and let me know what you think. Sorry about hi-jacking your thread.

I'll take a look for sure!

From Sierra: In general, Sierra engineers took the MatchKing bullet and made it with a thicker jacket, a harder 3 percent antimony lead core and put a plastic tip on it, according to Jeff Marshall, Sierra’s engineering manage. "The result is a super-accurate and tough game bullet,” he said.
This it?

[Linked Image]
Yes it is Jorge. The best $140 I ever spent on a rifle stock. There are several pictures of the stock in that thread. Thanks for pulling it up.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
Interesting & good shooting...you know my disdain for that label as well, its never been about accuracy as much as jacket construction however that was moons ago.
Posted By: hatari Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19
Nice groups!
Posted By: aalf Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/30/19

308.......the B cup of the cartridge world......
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19
So a legit question for the floor; I used WW brass, would Nosler or Lapua brass made a difference?
Posted By: aalf Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So a legit question for the floor; I used WW brass, would Nosler or Lapua brass made a difference?

Doubtful you could see or shoot the difference from where you're at now.
Posted By: Rooney Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19
Might not get those loads in Lapua brass. Heavier than WW, less capacity.
Posted By: Brad Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19
My 165/308 Load is 46 of Varget in Lapua or Hornady brass ad Fed 210M Primers. It's generally a no-brainer award winner. Of the dozen or so 308's I've had, one or two would handle 46.5 gr's. Either way, you're in perfect territory!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19
I wonder where I got the .5 added? The bolts open as if the chamber was empty. Anyway, I have some Lapua and Nosler brass coming I purchased before I shot these groups. I will load some and see it there is a noticeable difference. I HOPE these new Sierras don't disappoint!
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19

Possibly,however I've loaded lots of different chamberings over the years and all my 308's have been most forgiving with excellent accuracy via most all components tested..

IMO it's the best balanced of all 30 calibers and of course I'm very partial to its Military counterpart as most of you know !
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19
Jorge, I haven't used either of those cases, but I don't think that they will change much either way. The groups you shot are excellent and the 308 Winchester is a very tolerant cartridge when it comes to components.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 308 MUSINGS - 10/31/19
This is the last thing a guy with boxes and boxes of .30 cal bullets already paid for needs to see.

Crap!
Posted By: BWalker Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/01/19
I currently have the FWT sighted with 130 TTSXs (they shoot almost exactly 1" below the Sierras) and the Browning with 165 Partitions, but the accuracy of the Sierras is amazing. Going to try them on Georgia hogs as soon as I can. Hopefully I can find a big boar to test it on his gristle plate..

I shot quit a few Russian boars when Inwas younger using a 243 with mostly Sierra and Speer cup and cores. Never had one shrug one off. I am sure the Gamechanger will work just fine on just about anything out of a 308.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/02/19
An update gents on the use of Lapua brass on my pre-64 and my Browning (sake action) Safari.

1. No appreciable difference in accuracy but with Lapua, I did get a 45 fps increase in MV (2792 v 2745 with Winchester) which makes sense given the Lapua brass is thicker.
2. The Browning, curiously enough did not show an appreciable difference in mv, but it definitively shot better with WW brass. Go figure

Lapua MV (Browning) 2772,83,64
WW MV )Browning) 2773,77,83

Overall, the M-70 is distinctly more accurate and WW brass also has an edge in accuracy. It shoots 130TTSXs into the bull at .75" and the 165 Sierras about 2" higher. I suspect given the Browning's very thin pencil barrel, give the 70 the edge.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/02/19
I've noticed same loading my Swedes..a slight increase in vel with Lapua vs Win.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/02/19
I liked the 165 NBT in the last .308 I shot game with. I worked up an elk load for my SILs spare rifle ( .308) using MR2000 and the 165 Swift Aframe for 2750fps! 22" barrel too.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
None...if you use a drop tube of 20"!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
Originally Posted by mathman
How much powder compression is required for that load?

I run 48.5 gr Varget with 155 Scenar’s. I push the bullet down until it won’t go any more, seriously. The rounds shoot the same as Jorge’s. My overall loaded round spec’s could not be more uneven. But, all 5 of my 308’s keep stacking them in one ragged hole. 308’s are the perfect hunting round out to 400 yards.
Originally Posted by aalf

I happen to prefer B’s or lesser.

Yes. Nosler brass can be too soft sometimes. Lapua is tighter volume. WW is an absolute no-go for me, way too brittle. Remington being just right.....has left the building.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Yes. Nosler brass can be too soft sometimes. Lapua is tighter volume. WW is an absolute no-go for me, way too brittle. Remington being just right.....has left the building.

See my results above between Lapua and WW brass regarding MV and accuracy..
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by aalf

I happen to prefer B’s or lesser.

I'm sorry.... smile
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
As an epic leg and a$$ man and preferring quality over quantity, I too am not a fan of udders. But I can heartily endorse the Barnes 110 TTSX and a case full of Varget in your .308. Give em about 60 thousands running start and enjoy.

Stuff ain't that hard to kill and the 110 works well.
Posted By: Quak Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
The 308 WCF is the culmination of what mankind has learned about the metallic cartridge. It is perfect
Posted By: mathman Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
No such thing.
Posted By: Quak Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
It was tongue in cheek. It is perfect for me though. A generalist hunter who needs something capable of taking anything outside of a cape buffalo, elephant, or rhino,...doesnt like recoil, loves accuracy, and is a cheap bastard. The 7-08 would also work nicely
I'm well invested in the 308 myself. I've got at least nine of them that I can think of real quick. grin
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
Originally Posted by Quak
The 308 WCF is the culmination of what mankind has learned about the metallic cartridge. It is perfect

I thought that was the Creedmoor....

[runs away]
Pretty soon the Kreemoor-Kooks will show and burn him in effigy...
I'm a Creedmoor fan as far as understanding its virtues and recommending it to newbies wanting a good deer rifle, and I don't even own one. Kook?
No sir...I'd do the same thing. It's arguably the best cartridge in a generation or two. The caveat being of course, not in a 700...
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/06/19
Does “no such thing” apply to

The 308 WCF is the culmination of what mankind has learned about the metallic cartridge.

Or

It is perfect
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/08/19
Decided to give the new Sierra Game Changers a go using 46.5gr Varget, BR-2 primers and WW brass seated to 28.10. Not bad and these should hold up at 308 speeds.. three shot groups:

Pre-64 70 Featherwight...

Browning Safari Grade, 22" pencil barrel...

Fine shooting right there, how did you get those rounds in the chamber? Take the bolt out? Must be a heck of a long bullet to get an overall length of 28.10!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/08/19
Rounds feed just fine. 2.810 (I think) is max OAL.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/08/19

I knew it was just a misplaced decimal point. In a college math class I did that once and had to solve an incredible equation in metric for penance.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by rickt300

I knew it was just a misplaced decimal point. In a college math class I did that once and had to solve an incredible equation in metric for penance.

I love this place.....
Posted By: whelennut Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/10/19
My favorite rifle is Browning Safari 30-06.
I wish I had a . 375 H&H to go with it.
My 35 Whelen will have to do.
I am going out this am with it.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/10/19
Gee, seven different prayers is all I had to do for penance..
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 308 MUSINGS - 11/10/19
Years back, Scenar Shooter did a thread comparing his .308 to a .260.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6552195/Re:_GAP_.308_VS._GAP_.260....S

First paragraph from that thread:

"I'll bet I've received 30 PM's in the past year about these two rifles. This question comes up a lot, "As your go to rifle, which would you grab, the .308 or the .260?" I thought it was time to do a real world head to head comparison. I have quite a bit of field time with the .308, with numerous big game kills and 800+ coyote kills. Last fall, all of my big game hunting was done with this lightweight GA Precision built .260. I also have a heavier .260 that I've used to take 231 coyotes with."

That would be a fair testimonial that the .308 is a great all around cartridge for everything up to and including bears. Pat has posted pics of some true wall hangers over the years with that .308.

Check out "Deceased by Scenar":

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4985572/1

For extremely long barrel life, if I had to choose only one cartridge, I know which one I would choose.

This .308 has numerous sniper/precision rifle schools under its belt and 15+ years of use, with a round count north of 5K on the barrel and it has not shown a reason to rebarrel yet.

It started as a early 2000's era T3 .308 Varmint (Pre T3 Tactical) with a 24 & 5/8ths" barrel.

This was right at 500 yards from the top of the haystack pictured in the rear.

Spring bear hunt where the bears were not cooperating, so we turned it into a long range ground squirrel shoot. Aiming low on the mound, we would launch them into the air killing them, yet keeping them intact. Fun times!

Eventually it was shortened to 20"s after the purchase of a 26" Sako TRG .308.

For a guy who may only want to buy one rifle, hunt a lot, and shoot a bunch, a .308 is going to be very hard to beat. The 6.5s are certainly excellent, and I like my .260. That said, a guy is simply not likely to get 5,000 to 8,000 + rounds from a 6.5CM or .260 and maintain a what most would consider an acceptable degree of accuracy.

This is where a .308 shines.
© 24hourcampfire