Home
Posted By: verns ? take off barrel for SPS 22-250 - 11/19/19
I am a lefty so on the cheep I got a 22-250 with the 26 in bull barrel (the only option for LH ) .I want a 24 in sporter barrel twist is not a concern .A smith told me to get a take off barrel and usually they do not need are do for head space and he could do the swap . Is this likely that the take off would be fine without having to re headspace it ? Opinions please
Likely... Yes.
Mtn that is encouraging .It might be possible to get this done for about $175 or less .This rifle is a beast to carry (I knew that before I bought it ). Strange to say but I like the feel of the stock ,most chatter is they are junk .I am not sure how to handle the huge barrel channel once I get a sporter barrel .Thanks boomer .
I had a gunsmith tell me that most of the time the headspace will be within acceptable limits, but the logos and stamps on the barrel won't be timed correctly. Of those that were too long, he thinned the recoil lug.
I took off a 243 barrel and installed a 308 barrel. It would just close on a no go gauge. I disassembled it and thinned the recoil lug until it would just close on the go gauge. It is accurate and has worked well for redneck gunsmithing.
The only problem will be if it won't close on a go gauge. Then the chamber would have to be reamed.
Originally Posted by verns
Mtn that is encouraging .It might be possible to get this done for about $175 or less .This rifle is a beast to carry (I knew that before I bought it ). Strange to say but I like the feel of the stock ,most chatter is they are junk .I am not sure how to handle the huge barrel channel once I get a sporter barrel .Thanks boomer .

pleeeease get a different stock, haha. makes me wince thinking about a sporter contour in that already-ugly sps varmint stock
Crowkiller tha is encouraging ! I am not really too concerned over some of the cosmetic issues that keep some of us gun folks awake at night .n8dawg ,yes it will be two wagon ruts for sure !Maybe some bedding filler material until I get another winning lottery ticket ! Thanks to both of you .
I had the take off barrel put on by a smith ! Headspaced great ! Text 180 degrees off and up side down . I now have a rifle I can carry and I do like the feel of it . Will give range report soon .
Good stuff
A bit of black silicone down each side of the barrel will tidy things up nicely
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I had a gunsmith tell me that most of the time the headspace will be within acceptable limits, but the logos and stamps on the barrel won't be timed correctly. Of those that were too long, he thinned the recoil lug.
I took off a 243 barrel and installed a 308 barrel. It would just close on a no go gauge. I disassembled it and thinned the recoil lug until it would just close on the go gauge. It is accurate and has worked well for redneck gunsmithing.
The only problem will be if it won't close on a go gauge. Then the chamber would have to be reamed.

Can one not find a thicker recoil lug?

I purchased a barrel vise, and an action wrench along with head space gauges in 308 from Midway. So far this winter I have pulled the barrels from a model seven, and a 700 ADL. The seven got the 243 barrel from the ADL. The ADL got a SS 7-08 take off barrel I had purchased. The roll marks came out in the correct position, and both barrels check out okay for headspace.
Crowkiller tha is encouraging ! I am not really too concerned over some of the cosmetic issues that keep some of us gun folks awake at night .n8dawg ,yes it will be two wagon ruts for sure !Maybe some bedding filler material until I get another winning lottery ticket ! Thanks to both of you .

Vern could you live with the rifle in an ADL configuration?

I have a brand new factory SA ADL synthetic stock from a 24 inch 243 I could sell cheap. $40 plus postage.

And since I just finished turning the ADL into a Walnut BDL, I could also turn loose of the second stock which is a beat up and bedded wood SA ADL stock. $20 plus postage.
Castle Rock ,I had not thought of silicone and that is a great idea ! Idaho ,are the stocks LH ?If so I might be interested .I am very excited about this Gubered up custom rifle ! As you can tell I am not hard to please on the cosmetics ! I have another SPS Varmint LH in 223 which I will probably do something with . The take off barrels are fairly reasonable if you can live with the slower twist as most are being replaced with custom fast twist barrels .Thanks to you both for your input .Vern
I don’t know if you have worked with silicone much, but have a look at this way of finishing it, and use release agent on the barrel so it can still be removed from the stock
Castle Rock ,I had not thought of silicone and that is a great idea ! Idaho ,are the stocks LH ?If so I might be interested .I am very excited about this Gubered up custom rifle ! As you can tell I am not hard to please on the cosmetics ! I have another SPS Varmint LH in 223 which I will probably do something with . The take off barrels are fairly reasonable if you can live with the slower twist as most are being replaced with custom fast twist barrels .Thanks to you both for your input .Vern

No Sorry, I missed the reference to left hand. I really wished I could help you out, and reduce the clutter in my gun room a bit.
© 24hourcampfire