Home
Having trouble with my RAR, well, technically the magazines.

I get FTF's if I don't put just the right amount of pressure on the bottom of the magazine as I cycle the bolt.

I know this was an issue with the RAR when it first came out - but I though Ruger had straightened the problem out by now. Is anyone else having this problem?

As an aside, is Ruger ever going to build the RAR with a hinged floorplate, or is there a way to economically change it over to a hinged floorplate?
Funny you ask. I just picked up an American Predator that has the AR style magazine. The stock has a detachable 'insert' where the action screws go through. It is obvious that Ruger can then just change the stock insert when building to accept the rotary or AR mags. I emailed them twice as I wanted to convert from the AR mag to a rotary. Upon my second request I was told they weren't offer the stock insert to change magazine styles. I don't think the existing stock design would function with a hinged floorplate arrangement.

For an economy gun the Ruger American is pretty darn good but the magazine arrangement and feed kind of sux. When shooting the American with my Tikka's I kept double checking the chamber thinking the Tikka was empty since it feeds sooooo smooth.
Just got our son an American Go Wild. The A.I. style mag feeds just fine with his 7mm-08.
I'd not buy a RAR unless it's with the AI magazine. Rimfires withstanding
I’m having trouble getting my AI mags to seat without opening the bolt.
There are fans of the AI style here at the Fire. I think that’s the type Id buy if I ever bring myself to buy one.
Originally Posted by Port
Having trouble with my RAR, well, technically the magazines.

I get FTF's if I don't put just the right amount of pressure on the bottom of the magazine as I cycle the bolt.

I know this was an issue with the RAR when it first came out - but I though Ruger had straightened the problem out by now. Is anyone else having this problem?

As an aside, is Ruger ever going to build the RAR with a hinged floorplate, or is there a way to economically change it over to a hinged floorplate?

Ruger hasn't straightened schidt out. Their quality control is abhorrent.
The 450 Bushmaster mags work better with SA cartridges (except 223) and are more reliable. They stick out from the bottom of the stock maybe an inch or less. They have a normal spring and follower instead of the rotary boloney. I used them with the 22-250 I had and they worked fine.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
The 450 Bushmaster mags work better with SA cartridges (except 223) and are more reliable. They stick out from the bottom of the stock maybe an inch or less. They have a normal spring and follower instead of the rotary boloney. I used them with the 22-250 I had and they worked fine.

This!!!!!!!
I had trouble with 4 different magazines on two different RAR's. Life's too short to screw around with inferior/cheapass equipment so they all went down the road. They did shoot good though.
Buy the 450 BM mag and sell your rotary mag on ebay or somewhere. I sold a package of 3 rotary mags here on the classifieds.
Send the mag back to Ruger and they will replace it. I've owned and shot a bunch of those rifles, over a dozen with multiple magazines for each. I had to send one back years ago and I have one now that needs to go back. All others have fed just fine. BUT.... I have broken 2 of the rotary magazines when dropped on carpet. When loaded and they hit the floor they simply broke. I've never had a single issue with the versions with AI magazines. If you have a newish rifle converting over is easy.

And while I've not tried the 450 mag my brother has and it is a better design. But I'd still rather convert to AI magazines if possible.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I had trouble with 4 different magazines on two different RAR's. Life's too short to screw around with inferior/cheapass equipment so they all went down the road. They did shoot good though.

No offense meant, but if you wanted a Ruger with 1st class quality, why not get a Hawkeye or a RPR ? You did, afterall, buy a "budget" rifle.
How old is it? Is this the magazine you have? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021370181
only issue i've had with the rar mags is my 260 rem was extremely tight to get the 4th round in and when you did you had to almost hit the bolt handle with your palm to get it to go forward. ruger promptly sent me a replacement that will hold 4 and is easy to chamber round 1-4. ruger is usually good cs. granted the best cs is that that you never use but the guy above is right in that they are classified as budget guns and as such require a lil fiddling sometimes. most are pretty accurate though which makes up alotta time to me.
Big Ed
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
How old is it? Is this the magazine you have? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021370181

Whttail, is that a non-rotary (for lack of a better term)? Is it flush with the bottom of the stock?

The rotary that came with my .308 has always worked fine, but I can see buying one of those.
Here is the mag on my son's Go Wild 7mm-08. I'm going to order him a 10 round too.

Attached picture 20191127_143121-287x263.jpg
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Whttail, is that a non-rotary (for lack of a better term)? Is it flush with the bottom of the stock?

The rotary that came with my .308 has always worked fine, but I can see buying one of those.

It's center feed, stagger stack (non-rotary), and flush fit.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

It's center feed, stagger stack (non-rotary), and flush fit.

Thank you, I'll have one of those shortly.
The magazine pictured above (from Midway) was the cure for my grandkids’ failure to feed issue with their American. CP.
Wish they had those in 223
American Magazines: Giving my name, Ruger supplied a new replacement magazine. This magazine had a synthetic follower and worked very well. I can get either magazine to jam up working the action slowly. I called Ruger first up before doing anything radical, Later learned this rifle was made 2013. At that time magazines not working was pretty common.
© 24hourcampfire