Home
I'm bored and looking...

So, just curious at this point but if you were in the market for a new 243 Win, what would you consider? I already have some ideas where I'm gonna end up, but would be curious to hear what some others think. And to get this out of the way right up front, the answer isn't a different headstamp. Not going to entertain 6.5CM or 6CM, 6mm-06 or any other 6mm cartridge. Answers should be speaking specifically to the 243 Win cartridge in your choice of factory bolt action rifle. Would also be interested to hear why you suggest something. Personal experience? You're brother's, girlfriend's, uncle's, cousin shot a record book muley with it?

Price could also be a consideration so, let's try to keep it to factory bolt action rifles under $1000.

Go...
I like the Rem 700 platform, so I'd buy another Bergara B14 in 243. (Pick the model that works for you and your budget). Tikka would probably be my 2nd choice. Browning BLR would probably be a 3rd choice (not a bolt action, but a fun gun).

2 Bergaras (308 and 6.5PRC). Both are shooters. If it ain't broke...
I would just buy a stainless Remington M700 SPS and then install an aftermarket "Trigger Tech" trigger assembly on it. Then you would have an excellent .243 rifle, lightweight, safe and accurate.
Used TC Icon. I have a soft spot for those rifles. They are pretty much a laser beam

EDIT: Sorry for the used suggestion, if buying new, I’d get a standard hawkeye. I like the 1:9 twist and just the whole rifle in general. If Winchester’s didn’t have “Portugal” stamped on the side, the FW stainless would easily be my decision.
What bullet would you want to shoot?

I am a huge fan of the 105s. Which basically eliminates everything under 1k that I am aware of.
Ruger Hawkeye, which has a 1-9” twist. Mine is an excellent shooter with both my handloads and factory ammo. My gunsmith adjusted the trigger to 2.5 lbs and it breaks like glass.
Something used. Maybe a 700, Ruger 77 MK II or Hawkeye.

Contemplating searching for a 700 BDL SS after the first of the year.

Not much of the new stuff excites me. Seems detachable mags are the norm and I have no interest in them.
Kimber Hunter.
Was in the same boat about a half year ago and nothing got me interested. About two to three months ago, I check out the used rack at a local store, and there was the rifle that met all my needs. Steyr SBS in 243 Win for just over $400 and in like new condition. Had a Nikon on it and got a little over $100 for it when I sold it here. So got it for basically around $300. They were going for $800 asking and $600 when they were on Sale a few years ago. I've never heard of one that doesn't shoot great.
I'd try to hunt down a new Howa Alpine.
Originally Posted by Calvin

I am a huge fan of the 105s. Which basically eliminates everything under 1k that I am aware of.

Same thought here. If you up the $ the Fieldcraft has been discontinued in .243 but there might still be a few floating around.
I literally just finished ordering a Weatherby Vanguard. 243 .
The .243 is a favorite of mine, and I've killed a lot of deer with one, as have several of my buddies. Even though they are assembled in Portugal, the new Winchester model 70 Featherweights are very nice. I love mine.

I'd look at a Remington model 7 as well.

1:10 twists kill stuff just fine for me, but heck I'm only a deer hunter.
Tikka, Fieldcraft or Remington. If going Remington, it'd be a Remage setup. I'd prefer a 1/8 twist as opposed to a 1/10. 1/9 would be OK.
I was never a fan of the 243. I bought a Gander Mountain Mountain Guide in 243 for my daughter and fell in love with the damn thing. Basically a stainless Remington 700 mountain rifle in a first generation Remington Ti stock. About the nicest carrying rifle I have lugged around, accurate and we have killed several truckloads of deer with it pushing an 85 grain TSX. We have killed the two biggest whitetails our family has shot with it. Don’t see them often but they do show up once in awhile. Gotta believe a Montana or Fieldcraft would be close to the same thing.
I’d buy a stainless Rem 700 action and then look for a 8” twist stainless barrel off either here or eBay and have it screwed on, then I’d get a Timney trigger and if money left over I’d get a 1st gen TI stock and bed it.
Kimber Montana - you can still find new ones for ~$1149 or used on the Classifieds for around $900 bucks.
Savage Axis II shooting the cheapest ammo available...
NEW —. Tikka T3X

USED — Win 70 XTR FTWT

NO questions about either one.

Jerry
I think any mentioned would be fine. I guess I’d go Howa or Wby VG. Like the Howa better w/22 inch barrel in lieu of Wby VG w/24 inch barrel. I would not give much consideration to barrel twist as a 1-10 twist does it all for field use. Fast twisting will take the accuracy of lighter bullets out of the mix and true duel purpose (varmint/big game) function. A 243 Win w/1-10 twist easily stabilizes 55-100 gr bullets, plenty adequate for quite a range of field use. One things for certain it pushes projectiles fast and flat.
The best buy going on a rifle right now IMO is a Remington Model 7 Predator. They're usually in the $400-450 range. I have 3, 223, 22-250, and 243. All are very good shooting rifles. As far as twist rate goes, I believe all Remington barrels are a 1-9.25 twist.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Same thought here. If you up the $ the Fieldcraft has been discontinued in .243 but there might still be a few floating around.

I'd like options. Could be a ground hog and / or coyote rifle but could also be a deer rifle. My primary stockpile of 6mm bullets currently consists of 85, 95 and 100gr bullets.
Originally Posted by jwall
NEW —. Tikka T3X

USED — Win 70 XTR FTWT

Jerry

Ha! Just sold my M70 XTR Featherweight 243, thus the search.

Have considered Ruger American Predator w/22" tube...hmm
Tikka. My first Tikka was a Model 558 Whitetail Hunter in 243. I bought it new in 1995 and hunted woodchucks and other varmints in NJ and NY States with it. Its accuracy astonished - and spoiled - me. Since then, I have owned a Model 695 30-06 and four T-3s, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, and 308. I foolishly sold the 7mm-08. All - repeat ALL - shoot extremely accurately. My two cents.
I would probably go with the kimber classic, nice and light and pretty too.
Top it with a Swarovski z3 and you're off to the races.
Originally Posted by Technoman26

WHY. ? for crying out loud.

I’m not in the market, I have a great 6mm Rem. but I LOVE the
XTR FTWT.

Jerry
700, prefit barrel choice of twist , contour and length.TriggerTech or Timney.
If I specifically wanted a factory .243, Tikka would be hard to beat. 95gr NPT's loaded over an accurate load of Varget... JMO...
I've never had a bad 700 SS barreled action. I'd likely buy a 700 ADL combo gun from Buds, cut it to 22" or so, and put it in a better stock. A trigger swap wouldn't hurt. It would be under your $1,000 mark. Mine shoots the 105 Hornady HPBT well. A faster twist would be dandy, but there are still options with the 1:9.125" twist.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I would just buy a stainless Remington M700 SPS and then install an aftermarket "Trigger Tech" trigger assembly on it. Then you would have an excellent .243 rifle, lightweight, safe and accurate.

Me too...:)
I bought a Howa Alpine not too long ago for $600, a tremendous bargain IMO. That's my first recommendation and still to be found online. Maybe a Tikka, Mauser M18, Kimber Hunter, or Vanguard S2. Many of the Tupperware rifles shoot well, but I still buy based on keeping the rifle long-term, even though I often don't. Lots of the cheap ones have parts with questionable materials and/or designs, again IMO. You may feel differently.

I've had a vintage Sako, Vanguard S2, Hawkeye AW, and a Ruger 1V. All good rifles, but no more 9-pound .243s for me.

If used is a possibility, a two-lug Sako is a personal favorite, one of the finest rifles ever made, one more time IMO.
I will say that there is no way I would consider a 243 over a 6cm
So, just curious at this point but if you were in the market for a new 243 Win, what would you consider?

A visit with my friend Quigley for counseling perhaps.

grin
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

The close out priced FC’s are what immediately came to mind.
I would search for a closeout fieldcraft, The 3 inch mag box , 7 twist barrel , and being a 108 eldm will kiss at 2.860. nothing else comes close especially at $1150 .
You sold it,a M 70 Featherweight. wink
Have you seen the Savage 110 High Country yet? Not sure if it’s offered in the 243 but they are awesome rifles. My buddy just bought one in 308 and I helped him mount his optics and get it sighted in on paper. Super nice rifle with nice barrel contour/weight and a good stock and I’m also liking the Accu trigger the more I get to shoot it. Did I mention that Savages are pretty darn accurate? Might be worth looking into.
The deer I’ve shot with my 243’s 100 gr Speer Hot Cor
Never wished they had been shot with a CM so they would be deader..... 😊
Originally Posted by Stevens223
The deer I’ve shot with my 243’s 100 gr Speer Hot Cor
Never wished they had been shot with a CM so they would be deader..... 😊

laugh laugh laugh

Jerry
Tika t3x a SS 3x9 and nosler 95 grain ballistic tips. This combo will likely be very accurate, and very dependable for about everything. You probably will only have to zero your rifle once, it's that good. My son has this combo. It shoots about 1" groups at 2 00 yds, and it has maintained zero for 3 years now, and he dials out to 500 yds quite a bit.
No one mentioned Savage 10, yes they're not a Tikka but I have one that'll out shoot all my Tikkas, easily shoots 1" groups at 300 yards with a ole Redfield Revolution but if I was buying a new one today, Tikka hands down.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You sold it, a M 70 Featherweight. wink

Yeah Buddy !

Jerry
I will say that there is no way I would consider a 243 over a 6cm

Like I said initially no consideration for anything but a 243. Thanks for playing.
You sold it,a M 70 Featherweight. wink

Get this...I've actually sold 3 of them over the years. Who knows maybe #4 will come and go too.
Sounds like it.

Or #4 could just stay home and be a part of the family. wink
You sold it, a M 70 Featherweight. wink

Yeah Buddy !

Jerry

Been there, done to that.

Saw a decent used salvage 10 the other day. $300. The problem is...well, it's a salvage.
Sounds like it.

Or #4 could just stay home and be a part of the family. wink

I have plenty of model 70s at home already. Not sure a model 70 in 243 and me are a forever match. smile
I have a M 70 in .243 and it's going to stay with me.

Have you given any thought to a CZ 557 American?
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-557-american/
BLR
Originally Posted by gitem_12
BLR

Eeegads...maybe an 88 for a lever. BLR, pass. Just my opinion though.
My tack driving .243 is an older Remington slide action with a Simmons AETEC scope. This slide action rifle has accounted for numerous South Dakota antelope. But I've never had to shoot an animal twice with it. My favorite bullet is the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip which is really fast, too.

If I simply had to buy a bolt action, I would seek out the walnut stocked Browning, TIKKA, or SAKO.

My wife has a custom RUGER model 1 in .243 which was fitted to her body size. A portion of the stock was hollowed out to reduce weight and the muzzle was Magna-ported to eliminate muzzle jump. It is amazingly accurate.

By the way, Henry offers their levergun in .243 named the Long Ranger model. Henry also offers a break open single shot in .243 these days.

Sherwood
BLR

The BLR at least has the lever action advantage of a slim receiver for easy, comfortable, one hand carry.. Not so for the 88. I see absolutely no point in the 88 whatsoever. Might just as well have a fat bolt action with a good trigger as a fat, lever operated bolt action with a crappy trigger.
I bought a Fieldcraft in 243, but that's out of your range. I agree with Calvin on the 6 CM. Right twisted. Excellent factory ammo. But....whatever.
Tikka T3 Lite. Get a pound of 26.... pick your boolit and pick your velocity. I have an 83 model 700 adl Remington that is close to the Tikka but not quite as good.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
BLR

The BLR at least has the lever action advantage of a slim receiver for easy, comfortable, one hand carry.. Not so for the 88. I see absolutely no point in the 88 whatsoever. Might just as well have a fat bolt action with a good trigger as a fat, lever operated bolt action with a crappy trigger.

There are some rifles I just find ugly to look at, even if they may have some decent characteristics as you mentioned. But if I wanted an ugly rifle, I'd still not choose the BLR and that salvage model 10 would have come with me the other day. I'm an 88 fan personally, but that's my call and I don't have any issue with it and 1 handed carry. That said, pass me a model 94 30-30 every day over the BLR in any cartridge and I'll accept its limitations and enjoy both carrying and looking at it. smile
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I bought a Fieldcraft in 243, but that's out of your range. I agree with Calvin on the 6 CM. Right twisted. Excellent factory ammo. But....whatever.

Exactly, whatever. Like I mentioned before, the 6CM isn't going to be considered.

This is mostly an exercise in seeing what some of you all think about current production (mostly bolt action) rifles. I'll get another 243 soon enough and have some likely choices in mind for that rifle already. I suppose I could have asked "If you were in the market for (insert cartridge here)...?" and gotten mostly the same responses. Although the variation of answers around the 243, in particular, have been good and twist rate is a consideration so I'm finding this both helpful and amusing. The other consideration is accuracy. I've had some good 243s that shot minute of deer with little problem, but I'm looking for something that might shoot 1/2 MOA regularly when I get my part right.

Honestly, I've looked at the fieldcraft. Nice rifle. Not sure it's the direction I'll go. Model 70s and M77s do tend to follow me home. Don't know why I can't seem to keep them in 243 though. I've probably bought and sold 7 or 8 M70 and M77 243s in the past decade. I can't seem to find a M700 I want to own. Nice looking and handling rifles, but they don't flip my switch.

Anyway..thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
A Tikka T3 Lite in Stainless would be my first choice. I have one in .308 and it shoots great. Two that haven't been mentioned are the TC Venture (again in .308) and the Browning X Bolt. I have a rifle in each and I'm not disappointed with either one, and would buy another if the option came up. My own .243 is a M70 I bought used and am quite happy with. Load development was done literally the first afternoon I took it out. I own 2 Savages, and I'm not impressed at all with the sloppy machining on them.
My Fieldcraft 6 CM shoots MOA (10 shots) at 100...........good luck with the 1/2 MOA unless you are referring to 3 random rounds at a 100 yards.

Exactly, whatever. Like I mentioned before, the 6CM isn't going to be considered.

This is mostly an exercise in seeing what some of you all think about current production (mostly bolt action) rifles. I'll get another 243 soon enough and have some likely choices in mind for that rifle already. I suppose I could have asked "If you were in the market for (insert cartridge here)...?" and gotten mostly the same responses. Although the variation of answers around the 243, in particular, have been good and twist rate is a consideration so I'm finding this both helpful and amusing. The other consideration is accuracy. I've had some good 243s that shot minute of deer with little problem, but I'm looking for something that might shoot 1/2 MOA regularly when I get my part right.

Honestly, I've looked at the fieldcraft. Nice rifle. Not sure it's the direction I'll go. Model 70s and M77s do tend to follow me home. Don't know why I can't seem to keep them in 243 though. I've probably bought and sold 7 or 8 M70 and M77 243s in the past decade. I can't seem to find a M700 I want to own. Nice looking and handling rifles, but they don't flip my switch.

1/2 MOA? Look at an X Bolt. Have owned 1 and been around others, none in 243 but these have been close to 1/2 MOA guns. The 22-250 was more like 1/4.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

1/2 MOA? Look at an X Bolt. Have owned 1 and been around others, none in 243 but these have been close to 1/2 MOA guns. The 22-250 was more like 1/4.

The X-Bolt is on my shortlist. Like them or not (which I do), I haven't seen or been around one that won't shoot. My brother has a stainless stalker that is easily a 1/2 MOA rifle.
How about a Marlin XS7 with a scope for $279. Just shoot the pizz out of it, and use it as man-bun creedtard repellent.

This would also save you from a Browning lower back tattoo.
Originally Posted by Travis13
How about a Marlin XS7 with a scope for $279. Just shoot the pizz out of it, and use it as man-bun creedtard repellent.

shocked

I have considered those CDNN Marlins. Pretty hard to beat the price. But how do they shoot in 243? Will it be a 1/2 MOA rifle?
I don’t have the most experience with the XS7, but the little I have leads them to be very accurate. Especially for a sub-$300 rifle. This thread is making me want to get one though.
I don’t have the most experience with the XS7, but the little I have leads them to be very accurate. Especially for a sub-$300 rifle. This thread is making me want to get one though.

Buy two, send one to me. smile
I'd buy another old school Remington heavy barrel from the 80's.
This thing has slain all kinds of critters.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That is exactly what I was going to recommend.
My wife's nephew just purchased a Tikka TX3 lite in SS and that thing is a dream to carry and shoots lights out!

If I was in the market, it would be tops on my list!

Elk Country
Rem 700 SPS - you'd be very lucky to shoot 1/2 MOA. Most of the others, I think you'd be real lucky if they shot that good.

Maybe a Savage would get you there?? If not, it would be easy and cheap to buy an action wrench and gauges and a Criterion sporter barrel from Northland Shooters ($300)....and you'd still probably be under $1,000.

You could also Remage a 700 SPS if it didn't shoot.

As someone else mentioned the Remington Model Seven Predator with its fluted barrel is really hard to beat for the price. Also previously mentioned, the Howa Alpine is a nice handy little package.

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]

Originally Posted by snowboardguy
As someone else mentioned the Remington Model Seven Predator with its fluted barrel is really hard to beat for the price. Also previously mentioned, the Howa Alpine is a nice handy little package.

I do like the Howa's and Weatherby Vanguard. And they're fairly cheap. Might be a good option. No way in Hades that Model 7 Predator would be a 1/2" rifle in factory form.

And currently available at very good prices. https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.co...t-action-fluted-mossy-brush-p-23917.html

I do like the Howa's and Weatherby Vanguard. And they're fairly cheap. Might be a good option. No way in Hades that Model 7 Predator would be a 1/2" rifle in factory form.

That may or may not be true but at sub $450 there's plenty of room to tweak if necessary.
My Winchester M 70 .243 that I still have.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

wink
Originally Posted by skeen
Kimber Montana - you can still find new ones for ~$1149 or used on the Classifieds for around $900 bucks.

Where are you finding a new Kimber Montana in .243?
Originally Posted by tzone

$1099 at Reeds w/free shipping. And there's more on Gunbroker.

https://www.reedssports.com/kimber-84m-montana-green-243-win-22in-tb-3000803-669278308036
I’d wait for Tikka to make a 6CM...
If it's for any time in any weather I'd get a Montana, mount a VX-III 2.5x8 in Talley light weights. Light and weather resistant. Otherwise what floats your boat. I have a M77 MKII stainless 243 boat paddle with a VX-II 3x9. I've taken several deer with it. 100 gr CoreLokts 41gr H4350. Never had it fail me.
Without much to go on like preferred weight, barrel length, intended use, I'll say:

Two that I handled recently and liked were a Rem Model Seven SS and a Tikka T3 Lite.

If I intended more long range shooting I'd opt for something a little heavier maybe with a longer barrel.

I have a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 mm, and would get another in .243 if I were in the market.
Ok then, here's more specifics...

All up, rifle, scoped and belly full of ammo, under 9#

Barrel 24" or shorter.

Intended use, deer, coyote and plinking paper and steel out to 500 yards (which is much farther than I could shoot under 99% of hunting conditions around here).

CRF or push fees doesn't really matter but definitely make it a bolt action, right handed.

Wood, blue or as, synthetic don't much care. But it's gotta be capable of 1/2 MOA and preferably w/o me bothering with a gunsmith. Loading for it is in the cards and bullet selection on the table too.

Still have a hard time wanting a Remington but I suppose I could get talked into it.

Have already had a fair number of Winchesters and Rugers.

The Howa mentioned made the shortlist and I looked at a Kimber Hunter (used) that I should have bought. Oh well.

Keep em coming.
1/2 MOA, if it's a real 1/2 MOA, is likely going to be hard to reach for the rifles mentioned.
. . . But it's gotta be capable of 1/2 MOA and preferably w/o me bothering with a gunsmith.

Unless you get real lucky, that pretty much eliminates all factory rifles.
Originally Posted by shinbone
. . . But it's gotta be capable of 1/2 MOA and preferably w/o me bothering with a gunsmith.

There are some. Seen some Brownings do 1/2 MOA regularly. Plenty of capable Savages too. 1/2 MOA would be a goal...maybe with some tweaking on my part and definitely with hand loads.

Perhaps I'll back off to MOA so it will leave the door open.
I pointed that out earlier, define your MOA standard......2, 3, 5, 10 or 30 shot groups?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/The_Trouble_With_3_Shot_Groups/118-279218/

Your probability of achieving 0.5” MOA in any rifle without the barreled action being properly bedded and barrel floated is extremely low. Every rifle needs this if you’re serious about trying to achieve your stated accuracy.
I own an XS7 .243 and my brother and dad also both own one. They are all very accurate and I would not hesitate to say that they are all MOA rifles. I shoot 95 gr. ballistic tips in mine, my dad shoots 70 grain ballistic tips and brother typically shoots 100 grain federal blue box. Any time someone mentions a .243 I almost always recommend the XS7 from CDNN. Someday they will all be gone especially at the price they are selling for right now.
Originally Posted by shinbone

There are some. Seen some Brownings do 1/2 MOA regularly. Plenty of capable Savages too. 1/2 MOA would be a goal...maybe with some tweaking on my part and definitely with hand loads.

Perhaps I'll back off to MOA so it will leave the door open.

You could get lucky with a number of makes but there is no factory rifle that you can go buy off shelf and KNOW that it'll give you half MOA for a grand or less.

There aren't even many factory 243's that are twisted properly.

Occasionally people sell great rifles just because they're bored and/or had a lapse of their senses. That's probably your best bet given the limits you've imposed.
Bullet of choice? That might make a little difference. Dunno. Maybe. Could be.
I also believe I said this is mostly just boredom and fodder for discussion and entertainment. So say we back off the specs to MOA...just for discussion. We could also open the door to used rifles and spend some more cash. But I was thinking about something I could pick up and not spend a fortune and have good, not reasonable, accuracy. In the end, I won't spend $2k on this rifle, but for the right rifle, I could maybe go $1500. But can I get $1500 accuracy out of a $450 Ruger American or a used $300 salvage?

If I had to pick a bullet, I'd probably choose the 100gr Sierra GameKing BTSP or as my do-all. What would you recommend?
Originally Posted by RDW
I pointed that out earlier, define your MOA standard......2, 3, 5, 10 or 30 shot groups?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/The_Trouble_With_3_Shot_Groups/118-279218/

I've seen that 3 shot group stuff brought up here and other places before. I generally consider 5 shots sufficient but have shot 10 shot 243 groups as well.
Keep an eye out for a used Kimber Montana here on the classifieds. It won’t shoot those popular heavy 6mm bullets (105s and what not) but it’ll kill deer just as dead with vanilla rounds. I carried one for years and punched tags without trouble with 80 grain deep curls. Very effective and a joy to carry.
With that budget I’d see if anyone would part with one of the Fieldcrafts that Whittaker’s was blowing out. Might be some guy in Cali who grabbed a few to resell ... whistle
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
With that budget I’d see if anyone would part with one of the Fieldcrafts that Whittaker’s was blowing out. Might be some guy in Cali who grabbed a few to resell ... whistle

Perhaps I will...
I bet a Winchester 70 FWT XTR would fill that niche wink
I would go Barrett or Kimber if I could find one. On the cheap though that shoots better than it should, Savage 110 lightweight storm
Originally Posted by RDW
I bet a Winchester 70 FWT XTR would fill that niche wink

You know, it's not outta the question. Ha!
Originally Posted by 16bore
I’d wait for Tikka to make a 6CM...

Man! How long does a fella have to wait! whistle
I'm bored and looking...

So, just curious at this point but if you were in the market for a new 243 Win, what would you consider? I already have some ideas where I'm gonna end up, but would be curious to hear what some others think. And to get this out of the way right up front, the answer isn't a different headstamp. Not going to entertain 6.5CM or 6CM, 6mm-06 or any other 6mm cartridge. Answers should be speaking specifically to the 243 Win cartridge in your choice of factory bolt action rifle. Would also be interested to hear why you suggest something. Personal experience? You're brother's, girlfriend's, uncle's, cousin shot a record book muley with it?

Price could also be a consideration so, let's try to keep it to factory bolt action rifles under $1000.

Go...

A Weatherby Weatherguard and whatever style of McM stock that you prefer would come close to your budget.

That said, when I move back to NH I may be looking for lighter rifles to carry up and down those hills.
REDUX !

NEW —. Tikka T3X

USED — Win 70 XTR FTWT

Jerry

I bought a Tikka SL in 243 this year. I have never owned a Tikka and really like this one. The Barnes 85ish gr factory ammo was the first thing I shot it the rifle. The rifle shot clover leafs at 100 yard so I zeroed it and shot a small buck this year in Michigan.

Mine is simple, works and is awesome. I would recommend one. I did swap the stock with a Tikka Forest because I love a roll over cheek piece. The factory stock is hollow and a bit loud but there are a bunch of easy fixes for that.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm bored and looking...

Go...

A Weatherby Weatherguard and whatever style of McM stock that you prefer would come close to your budget.

That said, when I move back to NH I may be looking for lighter rifles to carry up and down those hills.

I got the lightweight deer rifle covered for up north. Actually a couple times over. Have an XTR featherweight 06 in a Brown Precision and a Pre-64 featherweight 270 win in a Brown Pound'r. And a couple others that get to make that trip too. smile

This 243 quest is for fun. Mostly would be a coyote killer.
Because bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,I'd greedily lose case capacity,to grab RPM. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Teeker 243's suck ass,because they are a 1-10" Retard Twist Rate on a fhuqking 30-'06 receiver. STUPID +P+++! Hint.

Winchester isn't much better,as they'll stretch to 3" COAL,but are a fhuqking 1-10" RPM Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Montucky follows suit in RPM,but at 2.815" COAL. Hint.

I'd rather shoot a 1-8" or 1-7" 6XC or 6BR over any/all of 'em. Why? The better bullets,will offset the case capacity differences of a 243Win in comparison,rather quickly and it'll correlate nicely to terminal effects. Have only shot a brace of 1-8" 6XC's,that were formerly OEM 10" 243Win Montucky's. Hint.

Barrett do the 243Win right,at 3"+ COAL and 1-7",with throating on the money. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass everyone's 243 Kreedmire,over a Retard Twist Rate 243Win. With metal in hand,you've got moves and of course Factory Fodder jives with same. Hint.

Even Ruger's RAPR will SMOOCH 105's from modest COAL MagPul's,then there's steel bindered with more latitude and steel binderless for javelins. Hint.

Boobs TRYING to "talk" rifles,never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS and you Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot! Pardon my shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Bless your hearts for TRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
It's about time you showed up stick. Welcome to the party.
I bought a beautiful winny supergrade in 243 this spring. It has not been shot yet .I could part with it. if interested send me a PM.
Originally Posted by Buckman
I bought a beautiful winny supergrade in 243 this spring. It has not been shot yet .I could part with it. if interested send me a PM.

Feel like I've been down the Winchester 243 road enough for now and mostly for Stick's reasons. Thinking fast twisted 243. Well, faster than 1-10 anyhow. Thought Ruger did the American Predator in 1-8 but maybe it's a 1-9...? I know Salvage is a 1-9.25. The X-bolt is 1-10 but I'd bet dollars to donuts it will out shoot anything else twisted such.

Anyway, I'm gonna pass on that offer and hold out for something different this time around.

Feel like I've been down the Winchester 243 road enough for now and mostly for Stick's reasons. Thinking fast twisted 243. Well, faster than 1-10 anyhow. Thought Ruger did the American Predator in 1-8 but maybe it's a 1-9...? I know Salvage is a 1-9.25. The X-bolt is 1-10 but I'd bet dollars to donuts it will out shoot anything else twisted such.

Anyway, I'm gonna pass on that offer and hold out for something different this time around.

If this is a coyote rifle, what bullets are you planning to shoot that will require a ROT quicker than 1-10"?

I've shot dozens of coyotes in CO, KS, NE, and SD with 243s while shooting 80 grain Federal blue box factory loads and handloads that feature the 85 grain Sierra BTHP. I've never felt handicapped with these loads, but I call coyotes and don't think that I've ever shot more than a hand-full at ranges greater than a quarter mile, all with rifles barreled 1-10" and 1-9".
I also believe I said this is mostly just boredom and fodder for discussion and entertainment. So say we back off the specs to MOA...just for discussion. We could also open the door to used rifles and spend some more cash. But I was thinking about something I could pick up and not spend a fortune and have good, not reasonable, accuracy. In the end, I won't spend $2k on this rifle, but for the right rifle, I could maybe go $1500. But can I get $1500 accuracy out of a $450 Ruger American or a used $300 salvage?

If I had to pick a bullet, I'd probably choose the 100gr Sierra GameKing BTSP or as my do-all. What would you recommend?

There’s a Tikka chambered as such in the classifieds, priced well and supposedly a proven shooter. I’d roll with that.

If this is a coyote rifle, what bullets are you planning to shoot that will require a ROT quicker than 1-10"?

I've shot dozens of coyotes in CO, KS, NE, and SD with 243s while shooting 80 grain Federal blue box factory loads and handloads that feature the 85 grain Sierra BTHP. I've never felt handicapped with these loads, but I call coyotes and don't think that I've ever shot more than a hand-full at ranges greater than a quarter mile, all with rifles barreled 1-10" and 1-9".
'
That's a legit question. If I were going after deer with it, as mentioned, the bullet would likely be 100gr Sierra GK BTSP which is overkill for coyotes.

For coyotes I've used 65gr V-Max with good success and run them through both 1-9 twist Rugers and 1-10 twist Winchesters. I think what I'm looking for more than anything with this 243 will be an accurate 243 no matter the bullet choice. And if it CAN do it all, great. If it's only accurate with lighter bullets, I could live with that because it's not likely to be the choice for deer, moose or anything else I might hunt, but I'd rather have the option.

I can call coyotes up north and have shots out to 300-400 yards in some logging cuts. Around home, there are some power line areas I could stretch to 500. But as you know, around here, most shot are going to be less than 100 under regular/normal hunting conditions.

Anyway...just pondering options. Lots of good information to go with.
Originally Posted by ryoushi

There’s a Tikka chambered as such in the classifieds, priced well and supposedly a proven shooter. I’d roll with that.

Haven't drunk the Tikka cool-aid and probably won't. I know what I read about them here and elsewhere, but it's just a rifle that I have no interest in.
I would use the 100 grain Sierra on both deer and coyotes.
I would use the 100 grain Sierra on both deer and coyotes.

I concur
Kimber Montana or mod 70 featherweight
I'd seriously look at the Ruger Predator. 22" barrel. 1 in 9 twist. Threaded barrel, and AI style magazine. 6.6# with mid weight barrel.
Heck of a gun for $400 shipped.
Yes, there are some negatives, but many could be improved.
Stock, bolt handle and plastic shroud could all be swapped, if you chose to.

If the Tikka is out, that would be really my only other choice. I'm LH, but that isn't a factor, because the same are available in both RH and LH.

Sounds like you want a repeater. Sometimes the bolt action single shot Coopers can be found for $1200-$1300. Accuracy is always great. Twist is 1 in 10" on those.

Some people try to make the 243 something it isn't, and strive for heavy weight bullets, long OAL and high BC numbers. In practical hunting situations, that doesn't really mean Jack Schitt.

Good bullets in the 80 to 100 grain range will do everything you need a 243 to do, with lighter ones as an option for varmint/plinking.
I have shot several coyotes and deer with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX. They didn't protest because it wasn't a 120 grain bullet. Actually, it worked as well as a larger caliber.
all the rifles mentioned are great rifles mentioned, but if you are just buying a rifle to hunt with and not target shoot alot myself i would only buy one of these 3 rifles just because they are just a neater type rifle to hunt with . Browning BLR ,used maybe or new Ruger #1 , or a used Savage 99.
Originally Posted by KenMi
I'd seriously look at the Ruger Predator. 22" barrel. 1 in 9 twist. Threaded barrel, and AI style magazine. 6.6# with mid weight barrel.
Heck of a gun for $400 shipped.
Yes, there are some negatives, but many could be improved.
Stock, bolt handle and plastic shroud could all be swapped, if you chose to.

If the Tikka is out, that would be really my only other choice. I'm LH, but that isn't a factor, because the same are available in both RH and LH.

Sounds like you want a repeater. Sometimes the bolt action single shot Coopers can be found for $1200-$1300. Accuracy is always great. Twist is 1 in 10" on those.

Some people try to make the 243 something it isn't, and strive for heavy weight bullets, long OAL and high BC numbers. In practical hunting situations, that doesn't really mean Jack Schitt.

Good bullets in the 80 to 100 grain range will do everything you need a 243 to do, with lighter ones as an option for varmint/plinking.
I have shot several coyotes and deer with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX. They didn't protest because it wasn't a 120 grain bullet. Actually, it worked as well as a larger caliber.

Ken,
This is actually where I think I'm leaning. I don't love some things about the Ruger American Predator but the 22" @ 1-9 with a mid-weight barrel seems a good compromise at a price point that doesn't break the bank. I've read good things about these rilfes, bad too, but the good seems to outweigh the bad. Besides, @ $400, I can throw it away when I'm done and not feel too bad about it.
Rob
$350 700 SPS 243 in a Saber Chassis

I just saw they make the Go Wild Camo version in 243 as well. Model 26924. Only about $70 more from dealers. Burnt bronze Cerakote, camo stock, AI mag. 22" barrel (looks to be the same mid weight barrel, same overall weight), threaded, with brake included.

You certainly could not get a Cerakote job, stock dip and muzzle brake for $70
Featherweight Compact
Originally Posted by MGunns
Featherweight Compact

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by MGunns
Featherweight Compact

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good stuff. Did you read through the whole thread? I'm gonna pass on the model 70s in 243.
There's a Montana in the classifieds right now, or the was last night anyway.
Originally Posted by tzone

$1099 at Reeds w/free shipping. And there's more on Gunbroker.

https://www.reedssports.com/kimber-84m-montana-green-243-win-22in-tb-3000803-669278308036

Sweet! Thank you. I have one on the way I a few days tho. Found a used one from a fire member.

Barrel 24" or shorter.

Intended use, deer, coyote and plinking paper and steel out to 500 yards (which is much farther than I could shoot under 99% of hunting conditions around here).

CRF or push fees doesn't really matter but definitely make it a bolt action, right handed.

Wood, blue or as, synthetic don't much care. But it's gotta be capable of 1/2 MOA and preferably w/o me bothering with a gunsmith. Loading for it is in the cards and bullet selection on the table too.

Still have a hard time wanting a Remington but I suppose I could get talked into it.

The Howa mentioned made the shortlist and I looked at a Kimber Hunter (used) that I should have bought. Oh well.

Keep em coming.

I’m a fan of the Kimber Hunter. Not as much as the Montana, but I like the hunter a lot.

Barrel 24" or shorter.

Keep em coming.

From what I have seen, there are a lot more rifles capable of shooting 1/2 MOA groups when those rifles were tuned and a handload tailored to that particular barrel then there are shooters capable of shooting MOA or better groups on a regular basis.

I currently have 30 243's; 19 bolt actions, 9 lever actions, 1 pump action, and 1 semi-auto. The 2 factory specs rifles that shoot the best groups are an RAR-P and a V2, but I haven't shot anything except paper with either of them. My 243s with the most coyotes killed are a Marlin XS7, because it is the rifle that I kept an my MIL's ranch, and a Winchester 100, because it is the rifle that I like to use when calling predators in and around heavy cover. When more than one coyote comes to the call, having a rifle that cycles itself helps me to shift between targets more quickly. Regardless of where I have hunted coyotes, most of the shots presented themselves within 200 yards, with a lot more coming inside 50 than over 300, even on the open prairie of eastern CO, western NE, and southern SD.

If weight isn't an important consideration on your decision hierarchy ladder, I think that you could do a lot worse than by bedding a Weatherguard barreled action in whatever style of McM stock works the best for you. I've become a fan of the McM Hunter style of stock, particularly on a short action with a 24" barrel. If a rifle feels good in my hands and comes to my shoulder with my right eye aligned with the scope, I'm more likely to shoot it better than if it doesn't. "Feel" can only be determined by the shooter, so what works for me may not work as well for you.

When you figure it out, please let us know what you bought and how well it works out for you.
https://gunworld.com/guns/predator-on-the-prowl-rugers-predator-rifle-in-6mm-creedmoor/
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Because bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,I'd greedily lose case capacity,to grab RPM. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Teeker 243's suck ass,because they are a 1-10" Retard Twist Rate on a fhuqking 30-'06 receiver. STUPID +P+++! Hint.

Winchester isn't much better,as they'll stretch to 3" COAL,but are a fhuqking 1-10" RPM Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

I'd rather shoot a 1-8" or 1-7" 6XC or 6BR over any/all of 'em. Why? The better bullets,will offset the case capacity differences of a 243Win in comparison,rather quickly and it'll correlate nicely to terminal effects. Have only shot a brace of 1-8" 6XC's,that were formerly OEM 10" 243Win Montucky's. Hint.

Barrett do the 243Win right,at 3"+ COAL and 1-7",with throating on the money. Hint.

Pass everyone's 243 Kreedmire,over a Retard Twist Rate 243Win. With metal in hand,you've got moves and of course Factory Fodder jives with same. Hint.

Even Ruger's RAPR will SMOOCH 105's from modest COAL MagPul's,then there's steel bindered with more latitude and steel binderless for javelins. Hint.

Boobs TRYING to "talk" rifles,never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS and you Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot! Pardon my shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/921/BHHkrc.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/924/6JlvzC.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/921/lFvrIa.jpg[/img]

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/922/yemhvy.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/923/mUGVtP.jpg[/img]

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Lol! You are just as I remembered you from 15 years(ish) ago.

It’s a good thing you aren’t a golfer, lol.

I thought it was “laffin” though??!?

I’ve boight a piece of land and a cabin on your enchanted land. Dunno how close it is to you, AK is BIG. It’s in the SE though so I may be your neighbor come next summer. You can make fun of me all you would like, that’s fine. I’m sure your rifle skills will be superior. I doubt you could hang with me in a golf (wtf is that, you say?-lol) match. First beer is on me if we ever meet. I’ve been here damn near as long as you have. I still recall someone taking a nice “evenly rubbed” bear, ahahaha!

Peace brother. If it comes down to it you can show me how to shoot and I’ll show you how to golf...... are their even golf courses there? Lol. Glad to see you are on here and haven’t changed in 10 plus years.

Barrel 24" or shorter.

Keep em coming.

From what I have seen, there are a lot more rifles capable of shooting 1/2 MOA groups when those rifles were tuned and a handload tailored to that particular barrel then there are shooters capable of shooting MOA or better groups on a regular basis.

I currently have 30 243's; 19 bolt actions, 9 lever actions, 1 pump action, and 1 semi-auto. The 2 factory specs rifles that shoot the best groups are an RAR-P and a V2, but I haven't shot anything except paper with either of them. My 243s with the most coyotes killed are a Marlin XS7, because it is the rifle that I kept an my MIL's ranch, and a Winchester 100, because it is the rifle that I like to use when calling predators in and around heavy cover. When more than one coyote comes to the call, having a rifle that cycles itself helps me to shift between targets more quickly. Regardless of where I have hunted coyotes, most of the shots presented themselves within 200 yards, with a lot more coming inside 50 than over 300, even on the open prairie of eastern CO, western NE, and southern SD.

If weight isn't an important consideration on your decision hierarchy ladder, I think that you could do a lot worse than by bedding a Weatherguard barreled action in whatever style of McM stock works the best for you. I've become a fan of the McM Hunter style of stock, particularly on a short action with a 24" barrel. If a rifle feels good in my hands and comes to my shoulder with my right eye aligned with the scope, I'm more likely to shoot it better than if it doesn't. "Feel" can only be determined by the shooter, so what works for me may not work as well for you.

When you figure it out, please let us know what you bought and how well it works out for you.

I feel much better about my outrageous rifle collection and I only have 2 243's left after having sworn them off.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The best buy going on a rifle right now IMO is a Remington Model 7 Predator. They're usually in the $400-450 range. I have 3, 223, 22-250, and 243. All are very good shooting rifles. As far as twist rate goes, I believe all Remington barrels are a 1-9.25 twist.

Be hard to beat for the money. Everyone I know that has one says theirs is accurate too.

My second choice would be the RAR-P
Big fan of my Sako A7. Extremely accurate with every load I tried.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...a7-roughtech-varmint-in-243#Post12389110
© 24hourcampfire