Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by skeen
Kimber Montana - you can still find new ones for ~$1149 or used on the Classifieds for around $900 bucks.

Where are you finding a new Kimber Montana in .243?

$1099 at Reeds w/free shipping. And there's more on Gunbroker.

https://www.reedssports.com/kimber-84m-montana-green-243-win-22in-tb-3000803-669278308036

Sweet! Thank you. I have one on the way I a few days tho. Found a used one from a fire member.

Camp is where you make it.
HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Ok then, here's more specifics...

All up, rifle, scoped and belly full of ammo, under 9#

Barrel 24" or shorter.

Intended use, deer, coyote and plinking paper and steel out to 500 yards (which is much farther than I could shoot under 99% of hunting conditions around here).

CRF or push fees doesn't really matter but definitely make it a bolt action, right handed.

Wood, blue or as, synthetic don't much care. But it's gotta be capable of 1/2 MOA and preferably w/o me bothering with a gunsmith. Loading for it is in the cards and bullet selection on the table too.

Still have a hard time wanting a Remington but I suppose I could get talked into it.

Have already had a fair number of Winchesters and Rugers.

The Howa mentioned made the shortlist and I looked at a Kimber Hunter (used) that I should have bought. Oh well.

Keep em coming.

I’m a fan of the Kimber Hunter. Not as much as the Montana, but I like the hunter a lot.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Barrel 24" or shorter.

Intended use, deer, coyote and plinking paper and steel out to 500 yards (which is much farther than I could shoot under 99% of hunting conditions around here).

CRF or push fees doesn't really matter but definitely make it a bolt action, right handed.

Wood, blue or as, synthetic don't much care. But it's gotta be capable of 1/2 MOA and preferably w/o me bothering with a gunsmith. Loading for it is in the cards and bullet selection on the table too.

Still have a hard time wanting a Remington but I suppose I could get talked into it.

The Howa mentioned made the shortlist and I looked at a Kimber Hunter (used) that I should have bought. Oh well.

Keep em coming.

From what I have seen, there are a lot more rifles capable of shooting 1/2 MOA groups when those rifles were tuned and a handload tailored to that particular barrel then there are shooters capable of shooting MOA or better groups on a regular basis.

I currently have 30 243's; 19 bolt actions, 9 lever actions, 1 pump action, and 1 semi-auto. The 2 factory specs rifles that shoot the best groups are an RAR-P and a V2, but I haven't shot anything except paper with either of them. My 243s with the most coyotes killed are a Marlin XS7, because it is the rifle that I kept an my MIL's ranch, and a Winchester 100, because it is the rifle that I like to use when calling predators in and around heavy cover. When more than one coyote comes to the call, having a rifle that cycles itself helps me to shift between targets more quickly. Regardless of where I have hunted coyotes, most of the shots presented themselves within 200 yards, with a lot more coming inside 50 than over 300, even on the open prairie of eastern CO, western NE, and southern SD.

If weight isn't an important consideration on your decision hierarchy ladder, I think that you could do a lot worse than by bedding a Weatherguard barreled action in whatever style of McM stock works the best for you. I've become a fan of the McM Hunter style of stock, particularly on a short action with a 24" barrel. If a rifle feels good in my hands and comes to my shoulder with my right eye aligned with the scope, I'm more likely to shoot it better than if it doesn't. "Feel" can only be determined by the shooter, so what works for me may not work as well for you.

When you figure it out, please let us know what you bought and how well it works out for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Because bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,I'd greedily lose case capacity,to grab RPM. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Teeker 243's suck ass,because they are a 1-10" Retard Twist Rate on a fhuqking 30-'06 receiver. STUPID +P+++! Hint.

Winchester isn't much better,as they'll stretch to 3" COAL,but are a fhuqking 1-10" RPM Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Montucky follows suit in RPM,but at 2.815" COAL. Hint.

I'd rather shoot a 1-8" or 1-7" 6XC or 6BR over any/all of 'em. Why? The better bullets,will offset the case capacity differences of a 243Win in comparison,rather quickly and it'll correlate nicely to terminal effects. Have only shot a brace of 1-8" 6XC's,that were formerly OEM 10" 243Win Montucky's. Hint.

Barrett do the 243Win right,at 3"+ COAL and 1-7",with throating on the money. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass everyone's 243 Kreedmire,over a Retard Twist Rate 243Win. With metal in hand,you've got moves and of course Factory Fodder jives with same. Hint.

Even Ruger's RAPR will SMOOCH 105's from modest COAL MagPul's,then there's steel bindered with more latitude and steel binderless for javelins. Hint.

Boobs TRYING to "talk" rifles,never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS and you Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot! Pardon my shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Bless your hearts for TRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Because bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,I'd greedily lose case capacity,to grab RPM. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Teeker 243's suck ass,because they are a 1-10" Retard Twist Rate on a fhuqking 30-'06 receiver. STUPID +P+++! Hint.

Winchester isn't much better,as they'll stretch to 3" COAL,but are a fhuqking 1-10" RPM Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

I'd rather shoot a 1-8" or 1-7" 6XC or 6BR over any/all of 'em. Why? The better bullets,will offset the case capacity differences of a 243Win in comparison,rather quickly and it'll correlate nicely to terminal effects. Have only shot a brace of 1-8" 6XC's,that were formerly OEM 10" 243Win Montucky's. Hint.

Barrett do the 243Win right,at 3"+ COAL and 1-7",with throating on the money. Hint.

Pass everyone's 243 Kreedmire,over a Retard Twist Rate 243Win. With metal in hand,you've got moves and of course Factory Fodder jives with same. Hint.

Even Ruger's RAPR will SMOOCH 105's from modest COAL MagPul's,then there's steel bindered with more latitude and steel binderless for javelins. Hint.

Boobs TRYING to "talk" rifles,never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS and you Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot! Pardon my shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/921/BHHkrc.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/924/6JlvzC.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/921/lFvrIa.jpg[/img]

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/922/yemhvy.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/923/mUGVtP.jpg[/img]

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Lol! You are just as I remembered you from 15 years(ish) ago.

It’s a good thing you aren’t a golfer, lol.

I thought it was “laffin” though??!?

I’ve boight a piece of land and a cabin on your enchanted land. Dunno how close it is to you, AK is BIG. It’s in the SE though so I may be your neighbor come next summer. You can make fun of me all you would like, that’s fine. I’m sure your rifle skills will be superior. I doubt you could hang with me in a golf (wtf is that, you say?-lol) match. First beer is on me if we ever meet. I’ve been here damn near as long as you have. I still recall someone taking a nice “evenly rubbed” bear, ahahaha!

Peace brother. If it comes down to it you can show me how to shoot and I’ll show you how to golf...... are their even golf courses there? Lol. Glad to see you are on here and haven’t changed in 10 plus years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Barrel 24" or shorter.

Keep em coming.

From what I have seen, there are a lot more rifles capable of shooting 1/2 MOA groups when those rifles were tuned and a handload tailored to that particular barrel then there are shooters capable of shooting MOA or better groups on a regular basis.

I currently have 30 243's; 19 bolt actions, 9 lever actions, 1 pump action, and 1 semi-auto. The 2 factory specs rifles that shoot the best groups are an RAR-P and a V2, but I haven't shot anything except paper with either of them. My 243s with the most coyotes killed are a Marlin XS7, because it is the rifle that I kept an my MIL's ranch, and a Winchester 100, because it is the rifle that I like to use when calling predators in and around heavy cover. When more than one coyote comes to the call, having a rifle that cycles itself helps me to shift between targets more quickly. Regardless of where I have hunted coyotes, most of the shots presented themselves within 200 yards, with a lot more coming inside 50 than over 300, even on the open prairie of eastern CO, western NE, and southern SD.

If weight isn't an important consideration on your decision hierarchy ladder, I think that you could do a lot worse than by bedding a Weatherguard barreled action in whatever style of McM stock works the best for you. I've become a fan of the McM Hunter style of stock, particularly on a short action with a 24" barrel. If a rifle feels good in my hands and comes to my shoulder with my right eye aligned with the scope, I'm more likely to shoot it better than if it doesn't. "Feel" can only be determined by the shooter, so what works for me may not work as well for you.

When you figure it out, please let us know what you bought and how well it works out for you.

I feel much better about my outrageous rifle collection and I only have 2 243's left after having sworn them off.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The best buy going on a rifle right now IMO is a Remington Model 7 Predator. They're usually in the $400-450 range. I have 3, 223, 22-250, and 243. All are very good shooting rifles. As far as twist rate goes, I believe all Remington barrels are a 1-9.25 twist.

Be hard to beat for the money. Everyone I know that has one says theirs is accurate too.

My second choice would be the RAR-P

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/05/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Big fan of my Sako A7. Extremely accurate with every load I tried.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...a7-roughtech-varmint-in-243#Post12389110

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (17Fan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.