Home
Posted By: djb Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
I love the light weight and accuracy of some of our modern rifles, but few would be considered heirlooms. My FIL is 92 and done hunting so gave away his few guns including this 1949 Husqvarna. It had years of gunk and grime, the beech stock had seen better days, and the checkering was nubs. I figured it would be a good winter project to rehab it and shoot it little. Plan was to get it in working condition but keep it’s old school character. It got a good cleaning and then I refinished the stock, bedded the recoil lug, added a recoil pad, and re-cut the checking as best I could; the beech was a little soft and oil soaked in places. The Redfield scope got replaced with a long tube M8 4x I bought here. The trigger tuned up very nice to just under 2.5 lbs with no creep. The bore is a little rough, so it got a treatment of DBC. I’m curious to see how it will shoot, and it may even go hunting someday. It weighs about 8.5 lbs as pictured and the ‘schlicht-schlicht’ working the action is something a push feed will never have. It’s a little garish for my tastes but a cool old girl.

Before…
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Let’s see some other vintage rifles.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
THAT is a hunting rifle I'd be proud to carry afield! Well done.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Neat old rifle. I always liked that "old school" stuff, as rifles like that were were some of the first ones I can recall drooling over as a kid back in the 50's & 60's. Stuff like that I think of as "Post WW2 classic", as the post war period brought new rifles and styling themes to the forefront.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Another Husqvarna, this one in .243Win

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: SS336 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
You did a very nice job on that. Would be proud to put it in my safe. Rifle probably has some good mojo in it, you should take it hunting. Old school cool, for sure.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Nice job. What's it chambered for?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Cool thread. I just had to buy this 1949 model 70. It was originally chambered for 375H&H, but now it's a 375 WBY. It has a little cool factor:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My 1917's are way old, but kind of old school cool:
This one was rechambered to 308 Norma, now that is cool in itself...

This one I keep as a grand ol 06:

Those 2 are my favorite hunting rifles...

Here's a 1958 300 WBY that I really like. Seems to be a good shooter too.

My 2 30-06 featherweights:
The top one is my '58 and the bottom one is my '56....

Oooo, this one is old too:

But she shoots good:
Posted By: djb Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by NMiller
Nice job. What's it chambered for?

Thanks everyone. Should have said it is a 30'06.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Not as cool as some but here is my Grandfather's M54. Not much bluing left and the checkering is pretty smooth. He hunted with it until he couldn't see well enough to use the iron sights then he quit.
With its steel butt plate in -06 it kicks a bit.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Not a bolt action but old school with a story. My friend and flight engineer mentor was a Korean War vet. When he got discharged from the AF in '52 he didn't have a deer rifle. His wife saved money without Bob knowing and gave it to him the for the first deer season after his discharge. It had a Weaver 3x with a crosshair reticle. I traded for the Leupold Big Bore 3x with a heavy duplex that's on it now. Bob gave me all of his rifles and shotguns a few months before he passed. Bob told me it would shoot the spinners out of a spider's azz and I have found it to be quite accurate myself. wink

Posted By: keystoneben Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20

Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Not as cool as some but here is my Grandfather's M54. Not much bluing left and the checkering is pretty smooth. He hunted with it until he couldn't see well enough to use the iron sights then he quit.

That's the coolest rifle posted. Something with character, is better than not. Where'd he hunt?
Posted By: jwall Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Hey man !! Great rifle and U did an excellent job.
Fantastic.

Jerry
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Great show...
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Originally Posted by Blacktailer

That's the coolest rifle posted. Something with character, is better than not. Where'd he hunt?

Born and lived his entire life in California with the exception of an all expense paid trip to Europe courtesy of his Uncle Sam in 1918.
A lot of California coastal blacktail fell to that rifle.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Old School Cool... - 02/03/20
Bunch of Grand Old Rifles. Thanks for sharing them.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
Great rifles fellas!

Dave that 99 is beautiful and Blacktail, that Model 54 is darned cool!

BSA, right of first refusal if you part ways with that 300 Wby... grin

Great looking rifles fellas.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
I don’t have too much that’s real old. One of Bobs old Featherweights

[Linked Image]

My old 338 Alaskan

[Linked Image]

And older P64 that started life as a 300 H&H, I got it pretty cheaply as someone made it into a 300 Wby. Couldn’t make it shoot, so as a last ditch it became a 375 Improved and I couldn’t be happier.

[Linked Image]

Not sure what year it is but this little 222 Sako is a fun rifle and looks pretty nice to me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: paint Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
Beautiful rifles, fellas.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
Last few guns I have bought are from the 50's, and all winchesters as it turns out.
I just like them and it keeps me connected with the past couple generations of family that have "gone ahead". I figure if they could use them to good advantage I should be able to, though a few have synthetic stocks now.
That trend will continue and my son appreciates the older stuff too so the next generation should be well supplied.
Posted By: Joe Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
Originally Posted by shinbone

Are you sure that is a Husqvarna?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
Originally Posted by Joe

Are you sure that is a Husqvarna?

Definitely not a Husqvarna, but it is definitely an Interarms Mark X.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
Neat stuff, fellas! I would hunt the OP's rifle any day, as well as all the rest here. Kind of mirrors my own "collection"- not much there newer than WWII.

That Model 54 in particular sings to me. I have a couple- a .30-30 and a .22 K-Hornet.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Neat stuff, fellas! I would hunt the OP's rifle any day, as well as all the rest here. Kind of mirrors my own "collection"- not much there newer than WWII.

That Model 54 in particular sings to me. I have a couple- a .30-30 and a .22 K-Hornet.

I like Winchester 54s, as they remind me of what a long action Savage 1920 could have been.

I think that Savage missed the boat when they chose not to catalog a long action version of the 1920, initially in 30-06 and, maybe 256 Newton and 7x57, and then later in 270.
Posted By: las Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20
The only 7mm Mag (which caliber I don't much care for) I have ever lusted after was a Husquevarna. I don't remember now what the guy wanted me to do to it, but when I check fired it afterwards, it put 5 factory ammo shots in just over a half inch at 100 yards off my bench. 3 times running.

Fugger wouldn't sell it, tho. smile
Posted By: z1r Re: Old School Cool... - 02/04/20

That's an Interarms Mk X.
This is a Husqvarna:

Got em both, both are nice.
Cool that Sears used to sell these, Mod 50 & 51 built on genuine FN actions.

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Old School Cool... - 02/05/20
Here is my Higgins 50/51 in the same rifle. Bought a 50 in a plastic stock. Fitted it in a 51 takeoff I picked up in the classifieds. Shoots well with many bullets. Took an antelope in October with it.

Posted By: shinbone Re: Old School Cool... - 02/05/20

Doh! Sorry about the brain fart. Yes, the above is an Interarms Mark X in .270 Win.

Here is the Husqvarna in .243 Win:

Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Old School Cool... - 02/05/20
Husqvarna Crown Grade .358 Norma Magnum

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

46A 9.3x57

Parker-Hale .308 Norma Magnum (restocked)

Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Old School Cool... - 02/06/20
Not Husqvarna, not even centerfire but I have a couple of 'old school' rimfires that belonged to Granddad.

The first is a Remington Model 24 ( a licensed copy of Browning's .22 semi-auto bottom eject) that shoots .22 Short. Grew up shooting that thing and it was always accurate. Grandma used to use it to head shoot the chickens. Made in the early 1940's. Still shoots great. After I got out of the servie in '74 the first big purchase was a Browning SA-22. Figured I wouldn't live long enough to inherit the Remington, but did get it 40 years later. Meantime, my daughters grew up shooting the Browning.

The second is a High Standard Model C, a .22 Short semi0auto made in the late 1940's. Grew up shooting this as well and, like the Remington, It still shoots great.

.22 Shorts are somewhat hard to find but I have a couple thousand sitting on my shelf of .22 ammo.

My oldest firearm is My other Granddad's 'Iver Johnson Firearms and Bicycle Works' 12 gauge shotgun, a break-open single shot. Shoots ok in warm weather but I think it needs a new hammer spring as it is unreliable in the cold.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/06/20
Love that old M-54. I have one in 22 Hornet but don't have pics to post. Maybe I can take one tomorrow.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Old School Cool... - 02/06/20
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Not a bolt action but old school with a story. My friend and flight engineer mentor was a Korean War vet. When he got discharged from the AF in '52 he didn't have a deer rifle. His wife saved money without Bob knowing and gave it to him the for the first deer season after his discharge. It had a Weaver 3x with a crosshair reticle. I traded for the Leupold Big Bore 3x with a heavy duplex that's on it now. Bob gave me all of his rifles and shotguns a few months before he passed. Bob told me it would shoot the spinners out of a spider's azz and I have found it to be quite accurate myself. wink

Good to hear from You Dave. I saw your Savage 99 and it reminded me when I go mine. My dad died about 3 yrs ago. The day after he died my mom called me and my brother upstairs. We took the guns out of their cases . Dad had a note to my brother Dave. It said " Dave I want you to have my Browning auto 12 gauge., Take care. " It was dated 2012. I opened the Savage 99 and there was no notes. I told my brother I would take " The Savage" I went to the back yard and sat on the table and said to myself , " he gave me the Savage" and I burst out in tears. Very emotional when someone thinks enough to give you a gun they cherished.
Posted By: z1r Re: Old School Cool... - 02/06/20
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Love that old M-54. I have one in 22 Hornet but don't have pics to post. Maybe I can take one tomorrow.

I love my 54 in .30 WCF, would love to see your pics.

Posted By: SS336 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/06/20
Nice old winchester, z1r. For sure old school cool.
Posted By: szihn Re: Old School Cool... - 02/06/20
I also strongly favor old rifles and old designs.
I am in favor of any kind of gun and shooting that burns powder or compresses air. But for my own tastes I like the older ones Starting with fllintlocks.

My "Modern rifles" are AR15s, an AR10 style I made myself, A Mossberg MVP in 308,

And then I have a "Class of rifles" that is not what I think of as old school, but are not super modern either. These guns are ones I like, that are older in design, but are still in production or at least the actions are. A Ruger #1, a Marlin 336, 10 different Mausers from 25-06 to 404 Jeffery. 2 of which are made in the commercial style (no thumb--cut for stripper clips) and the other 8 being per-war rifles ----before I made custom rifles out of their actions.

In the category of old rifles which are not made at all anymore I have a 1903 Mannlicher in 6.5X54, a Remington M81 in 300 Savage, a M99 Savage, also in 300 Savage, two M1895 Lever actions, a 303 British made in the style of a Lee Speed, and an M1 Garand.

On the list above the only rifle I have that I have not killed game with is the new AR10 and that's because I only finished it up in December of 2019 after all my hunting was finished for that year. After Christmas my wife went on one elk hunt in Montana, and brought one back, but all my hunting was over on the 15th of December and I finished the AR10 after I was done.

On my bucket list I have a Remington 141 in 35 Remington, but I have not ever found one when I had the money to buy, and then when I was broke---that's when I find them for sale. Things just have not worked out yet so I can get one.

I like guns and I like the fact that others like guns. The more the better.
But for me personally very few guns made today have my interest to a point I'd like to have one. Maybe a BLR in 358 Winchester, but most others just don't "call to me"
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Old School Cool... - 02/06/20
Real rifles have iron sights; they might have a scope mounted, but they still have iron sights.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Old School Cool... - 02/07/20
Great stuff!!!
Posted By: shootem Re: Old School Cool... - 02/07/20

Doh! Sorry about the brain fart. Yes, the above is an Interarms Mark X in .270 Win.

Here is the Husqvarna in .243 Win:

Figgered as much when I first saw it. But a Mark X full stock .270 in that condition is far, far from a bad thing. If a true brain fart, t'would have come from a petite red head with a diet of fresh strawberries.
Posted By: OAM Re: Old School Cool... - 02/07/20
Originally Posted by djb
I love the light weight and accuracy of some of our modern rifles, but few would be considered heirlooms. My FIL is 92 and done hunting so gave away his few guns including this 1949 Husqvarna. It had years of gunk and grime, the beech stock had seen better days, and the checkering was nubs. I figured it would be a good winter project to rehab it and shoot it little. Plan was to get it in working condition but keep it’s old school character. It got a good cleaning and then I refinished the stock, bedded the recoil lug, added a recoil pad, and re-cut the checking as best I could; the beech was a little soft and oil soaked in places. The Redfield scope got replaced with a long tube M8 4x I bought here. The trigger tuned up very nice to just under 2.5 lbs with no creep. The bore is a little rough, so it got a treatment of DBC. I’m curious to see how it will shoot, and it may even go hunting someday. It weighs about 8.5 lbs as pictured and the ‘schlicht-schlicht’ working the action is something a push feed will never have. It’s a little garish for my tastes but a cool old girl.

Before…
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Let’s see some other vintage rifles.

Bad aaaaaaass!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Old School Cool... - 02/07/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Real rifles have iron sights; they might have a scope mounted, but they still have iron sights.

I like that. cool
Posted By: jkinpa Re: Old School Cool... - 02/07/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I like that. cool

Agreed!

Awesome thread!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Old School Cool... - 02/17/20
BSA model "E" P-14 Enfield Sporter .303 Britsh

Posted By: jwall Re: Old School Cool... - 02/17/20

I like that. cool

Why carry irons THAT YOU DON'T use on a rifle ? The front sight gets snagged TOO EASILY on limbs, vines and
truck seats.

One thing I DISliked about Ruger 77s is the NON removable front sight.

Sorry but M M V.

Jerry
Posted By: utah708 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/17/20
I tried for old school cool with this .35 Whelen.

[Linked Image from oimg.photobucket.com]

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Old School Cool... - 02/17/20
1910 vintage 38-40 Winchester 1892.

Been a few WT's whacked with similar, although not by me. I have too many other rifles, not that this one wouldn't put a dent in a deer or a hog.

It shoots really well. Action is slick as glass; hundred plus years will do that.

Bore is shiny with a few pits.

DF

Posted By: jwall Re: Old School Cool... - 02/18/20
Here’s another post from yesterday that got LOST.
I don’t remember exactly what I said but something on this order.

Thanks for your post Mr Dave and the story.

[quote=Dave_in_WV]Not a bolt action but old school with a story. My friend and flight engineer mentor was a Korean War vet. When he got discharged from the AF in '52 he didn't have a deer rifle. His wife saved money without Bob knowing and gave it to him the for the first deer season after his discharge. It had a Weaver 3x with a crosshair reticle. I traded for the Leupold Big Bore 3x with a heavy duplex that's on it now. Bob gave me all of his rifles and shotguns a few months before he passed. Bob told me it would shoot the spinners out of a spider's azz and I have found it to be quite accurate myself. wink

————————

That 99 in 300 Savage is hard to beat for Old School KOOL !!

Jerry
[quote=utah708]I tried for old school cool with this .35 Whelen.

-------------------------------

Hey Utah.

That's a dandy for sure. Great rifle & cartridge!!!!!!!

Now, I didn't know just how many really good rifles have been built OUT OF SPEC confused
the bolt handle on the WRONG side !! whistle grin

When you gonna DIG up that buck buried under those antlers ? laugh

Jerry
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Old School Cool... - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by jwall

I like that. cool

Why carry irons THAT YOU DON'T use on a rifle ? The front sight gets snagged TOO EASILY on limbs, vines and
truck seats.

One thing I DISliked about Ruger 77s is the NON removable front sight.

Sorry but M M V.

Jerry

Boots and suspenders Jerry. First time I brought home a rifle with no front sight my dad said it looked like a pool cue. laugh
You mean "Belts" and suspenders. grin

Jerry
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/18/20
I have no means to post pictures but, my "old school cool" goes back a lot farther than most. More in line with Dirtfarmer's pre-WWI '92. I have Haenel bolt rifles on 1890 actions, pre-WWI Mausers and Mannlicher/Schoenauers, two double rifles, a combination gun, 3 drillings and a couple Haenel/aydt Schuetzen rifles. One is quite plain while the other has all the bells and whistles, heavy engraving, carved stock and most all of the case hardening still shines like new money, and a Husky roller in 8 X 58RD. And, I have a Husqvarna on a '96 Mauser in 9.3 X 57. What a cool, old cartridge and, by golly it shoots!!! Even with my old eyes with open sights, 35 grs. of IMR-3031 and a 270 gr. cast, gas checked bullet it will shoot under an inch all day long at 50 yards, benched and bagged. I often wonder what some of my old rifles would do with a scope but, I ain't about to drill and tap any of them.

A good friend and neighbor was over last week and he is a small caliber, velocity chaser and, has some really nice custom rifles in a couple rather exotic cartridges. He handled a few of my old rifles, set them down and said, "none of my rifles feel that good". Well, no. His are a completely different concept and mostly over a century newer.. Scary accurate, pushing 4000 fps and "totally modern Millie's". I don't believe he would ever own a rifle like any of mine and I'm the same about his but, we both appreciate the others rifles.

Yes sir, a lot of "old school cool" shown and mentioned in this thread!!
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Old School Cool... - 02/19/20
cz brno 22F 8x57

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy marvin wallpaper

71 or 72 Marlin 336A 30-30

Sorry for the schitty pictures
Posted By: TheKid Re: Old School Cool... - 02/19/20
How about an unaltered Remington Model 30S in the good old 30/06. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not a rifle but I do carry it afield often and I think it’s pretty cool, it’s definitely old. One of less than 150 or so 1926 Hand Ejector Target models. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jwall Re: Old School Cool... - 02/19/20
Kid,

Generally - where did you get the PIG ?

KOOL Rifle.

Jerry
Just around the farm here in SW Oklahoma Jerry. We aren’t covered up with them like they are in parts of TX but I usually kill 5-10 a month when I’m out goofing off or on my way home from work.

The M30 is one of my favorite rifles for nice weather days. I bought it from an old friend when I lived in Alaska and my only regret is that I didn’t also buy it’s even nice twin he had, the only difference was that it was a 257 Roberts.
I don't want feral hogs as a nuisance but it'd be nice to get to hunt/kill one occasionally.

Yeah ! that 257 R would be great to have too.

Thanks

Jerry
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Old School Cool... - 02/19/20

Fantastic
Posted By: SS336 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/19/20
One of my "old school cool" rifles. 120years old and still being used. Wish it could tell me the story of were it's been and what it's done. I've posted it before, well because it's cool and I like it. grin

S P L E N D I D !!

Jerry
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Old School Cool... - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
How about an unaltered Remington Model 30S in the good old 30/06. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now, I like that one. Always wanted a Rem 30.

Nice hog, too.

DF
Posted By: bt8897 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/21/20
Pre 64 Model 70 FW in an "old school" custom stock-

Posted By: jwall Re: Old School Cool... - 02/21/20
DROOL.>.>.> DROOL.>.>.>DROOL

[quote=bt8897]Pre 64 Model 70 FW in an "old school" custom stock-

---------------------------------------------

Jerry
Posted By: djb Re: Old School Cool... - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by SS336
One of my "old school cool" rifles. 120years old and still being used. Wish it could tell me the story of were it's been and what it's done. I've posted it before, well because it's cool and I like it. grin

For some reason I always thought Krag's were super cool. Smooth as butter too!
Posted By: Jim585 Re: Old School Cool... - 02/26/20
Posted my two 35 Remington 141's. Always a hard decision as to which one to take out to the range or hunting.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14606300#Post14606300
© 24hourcampfire