Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by shinbone
Another Husqvarna, this one in .243Win

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Are you sure that is a Husqvarna?

Definitely not a Husqvarna, but it is definitely an Interarms Mark X.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Neat stuff, fellas! I would hunt the OP's rifle any day, as well as all the rest here. Kind of mirrors my own "collection"- not much there newer than WWII.

That Model 54 in particular sings to me. I have a couple- a .30-30 and a .22 K-Hornet.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Neat stuff, fellas! I would hunt the OP's rifle any day, as well as all the rest here. Kind of mirrors my own "collection"- not much there newer than WWII.

That Model 54 in particular sings to me. I have a couple- a .30-30 and a .22 K-Hornet.

I like Winchester 54s, as they remind me of what a long action Savage 1920 could have been.

I think that Savage missed the boat when they chose not to catalog a long action version of the 1920, initially in 30-06 and, maybe 256 Newton and 7x57, and then later in 270.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The only 7mm Mag (which caliber I don't much care for) I have ever lusted after was a Husquevarna. I don't remember now what the guy wanted me to do to it, but when I check fired it afterwards, it put 5 factory ammo shots in just over a half inch at 100 yards off my bench. 3 times running.

Fugger wouldn't sell it, tho. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Another Husqvarna, this one in .243Win

That's an Interarms Mk X.

IC B2

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is a Husqvarna:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Got em both, both are nice.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cool that Sears used to sell these, Mod 50 & 51 built on genuine FN actions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my Higgins 50/51 in the same rifle. Bought a 50 in a plastic stock. Fitted it in a 51 takeoff I picked up in the classifieds. Shoots well with many bullets. Took an antelope in October with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Doh! Sorry about the brain fart. Yes, the above is an Interarms Mark X in .270 Win.

Here is the Husqvarna in .243 Win:

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Husqvarna Crown Grade .358 Norma Magnum

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

46A 9.3x57

Parker-Hale .308 Norma Magnum (restocked)

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not Husqvarna, not even centerfire but I have a couple of 'old school' rimfires that belonged to Granddad.

The first is a Remington Model 24 ( a licensed copy of Browning's .22 semi-auto bottom eject) that shoots .22 Short. Grew up shooting that thing and it was always accurate. Grandma used to use it to head shoot the chickens. Made in the early 1940's. Still shoots great. After I got out of the servie in '74 the first big purchase was a Browning SA-22. Figured I wouldn't live long enough to inherit the Remington, but did get it 40 years later. Meantime, my daughters grew up shooting the Browning.

The second is a High Standard Model C, a .22 Short semi0auto made in the late 1940's. Grew up shooting this as well and, like the Remington, It still shoots great.

.22 Shorts are somewhat hard to find but I have a couple thousand sitting on my shelf of .22 ammo.

My oldest firearm is My other Granddad's 'Iver Johnson Firearms and Bicycle Works' 12 gauge shotgun, a break-open single shot. Shoots ok in warm weather but I think it needs a new hammer spring as it is unreliable in the cold.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/05/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love that old M-54. I have one in 22 Hornet but don't have pics to post. Maybe I can take one tomorrow.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Not a bolt action but old school with a story. My friend and flight engineer mentor was a Korean War vet. When he got discharged from the AF in '52 he didn't have a deer rifle. His wife saved money without Bob knowing and gave it to him the for the first deer season after his discharge. It had a Weaver 3x with a crosshair reticle. I traded for the Leupold Big Bore 3x with a heavy duplex that's on it now. Bob gave me all of his rifles and shotguns a few months before he passed. Bob told me it would shoot the spinners out of a spider's azz and I have found it to be quite accurate myself. wink

Good to hear from You Dave. I saw your Savage 99 and it reminded me when I go mine. My dad died about 3 yrs ago. The day after he died my mom called me and my brother upstairs. We took the guns out of their cases . Dad had a note to my brother Dave. It said " Dave I want you to have my Browning auto 12 gauge., Take care. " It was dated 2012. I opened the Savage 99 and there was no notes. I told my brother I would take " The Savage" I went to the back yard and sat on the table and said to myself , " he gave me the Savage" and I burst out in tears. Very emotional when someone thinks enough to give you a gun they cherished.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/05/20.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Love that old M-54. I have one in 22 Hornet but don't have pics to post. Maybe I can take one tomorrow.

I love my 54 in .30 WCF, would love to see your pics.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice old winchester, z1r. For sure old school cool.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also strongly favor old rifles and old designs.
I am in favor of any kind of gun and shooting that burns powder or compresses air. But for my own tastes I like the older ones Starting with fllintlocks.

My "Modern rifles" are AR15s, an AR10 style I made myself, A Mossberg MVP in 308,

And then I have a "Class of rifles" that is not what I think of as old school, but are not super modern either. These guns are ones I like, that are older in design, but are still in production or at least the actions are. A Ruger #1, a Marlin 336, 10 different Mausers from 25-06 to 404 Jeffery. 2 of which are made in the commercial style (no thumb--cut for stripper clips) and the other 8 being per-war rifles ----before I made custom rifles out of their actions.

In the category of old rifles which are not made at all anymore I have a 1903 Mannlicher in 6.5X54, a Remington M81 in 300 Savage, a M99 Savage, also in 300 Savage, two M1895 Lever actions, a 303 British made in the style of a Lee Speed, and an M1 Garand.

On the list above the only rifle I have that I have not killed game with is the new AR10 and that's because I only finished it up in December of 2019 after all my hunting was finished for that year. After Christmas my wife went on one elk hunt in Montana, and brought one back, but all my hunting was over on the 15th of December and I finished the AR10 after I was done.

On my bucket list I have a Remington 141 in 35 Remington, but I have not ever found one when I had the money to buy, and then when I was broke---that's when I find them for sale. Things just have not worked out yet so I can get one.

I like guns and I like the fact that others like guns. The more the better.
But for me personally very few guns made today have my interest to a point I'd like to have one. Maybe a BLR in 358 Winchester, but most others just don't "call to me"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Real rifles have iron sights; they might have a scope mounted, but they still have iron sights.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great stuff!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Doh! Sorry about the brain fart. Yes, the above is an Interarms Mark X in .270 Win.

Here is the Husqvarna in .243 Win:

Figgered as much when I first saw it. But a Mark X full stock .270 in that condition is far, far from a bad thing. If a true brain fart, t'would have come from a petite red head with a diet of fresh strawberries.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by djb
I love the light weight and accuracy of some of our modern rifles, but few would be considered heirlooms. My FIL is 92 and done hunting so gave away his few guns including this 1949 Husqvarna. It had years of gunk and grime, the beech stock had seen better days, and the checkering was nubs. I figured it would be a good winter project to rehab it and shoot it little. Plan was to get it in working condition but keep it’s old school character. It got a good cleaning and then I refinished the stock, bedded the recoil lug, added a recoil pad, and re-cut the checking as best I could; the beech was a little soft and oil soaked in places. The Redfield scope got replaced with a long tube M8 4x I bought here. The trigger tuned up very nice to just under 2.5 lbs with no creep. The bore is a little rough, so it got a treatment of DBC. I’m curious to see how it will shoot, and it may even go hunting someday. It weighs about 8.5 lbs as pictured and the ‘schlicht-schlicht’ working the action is something a push feed will never have. It’s a little garish for my tastes but a cool old girl.

Before…
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Let’s see some other vintage rifles.

Bad aaaaaaass!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (10gaugemag, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.