Home
Why did Ruger have to make the safety so small on the 77’s? My Kimber swing safety is perfect and so is the model 70. I actually always preferred the Remington 700 type 2 position the most but have become accustomed to the swing safety. When I worked in a shop in Kodiak we were selling.300 Winchester mags and .375 H&H Model 77’s to guys for hunting brownies and I always wondered if they would be able to get that safety off in a hurry if the need ever arose. Is it just me? And has anyone ever come up with an aftermarket larger safety for the77?
Look for old models with flattened bolt handle and tang safety or just the tang safety, those were wonderful rifles. The safety location is perfect. Certain calibers are outstanding in terms of handling and balance the .35 Whelen being prime example.
I have no issue with the size.
Agreed. I cheat the safety by popping it out slightly if I'm expecting a quick shot.
Phil Shoemaker, 458Win here, posted a picture several years ago where he used Devcon to build up an extended tab on the Ruger safety. Along the lines of his famous "Ol' Ugly" in aesthetic value but he's all about results.

Here's the thread fwiw but the picture of this is long gone.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5726077/1
Originally Posted by moosemike
Agreed. I cheat the safety by popping it out slightly if I'm expecting a quick shot.

ditto
My buddy suggested hunting with it at the half way position but I like Phil’s solution better. Someone needs to invent a screw in knurled extension that goes in the top to make it stick up a little higher.
Always hunt with them in the middle position.

No reason to leave them all the way back. It is just as safe in the middle position as it is when full rearward.

Sell the Ruger and go back to the Winchester. That is what I did.
Originally Posted by hikerbum

thats what she said
Posted By: Fotis Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/22/20
I would like them more if they were as accurate as the American rifles. Especially the predators
I’ve owned and hunted several MkII’s and Hawkeyes (including two MkII’s currently) and the safety lever has never been a problem.
Originally Posted by lastround
I’ve owned and hunted several MkII’s and Hawkeyes (including two MkII’s currently) and the safety lever has never been a problem.
Same here but I don't particularly care for them either, preferring a tang or side lever safety.
Posted By: Elvis Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/22/20
I own eight or nine Ruger bolt guns and the safety has never been a problem as I never use them.

I always hunt with the bolt on half cock. It's a simple matter to lower the bolt with the thumb if game is spotted. If I'm going through thick bushes or climbing a fence I close the bolt on an empty chamber.
Rhe Ruger swing safety has never bothered me. Most of the time I have it in the "Fire" position over an empty chamber, which makes the manual of arms the same as my other bolt rifles regardless of safety type - load and fire.
I never gave it a thought until I read your post. The only safety issue that I ever had with my Mk ll was the "click" when I pushed it off that put a nice 8 point into launch mode. It made a simple shot into a tougher one when he stopped in the brush farther out. I've since learned to hold the top of the safety and let it down easily and silently.
Originally Posted by Windfall
I never gave it a thought until I read your post. The only safety issue that I ever had with my Mk ll was the "click" when I pushed it off that put a nice 8 point into launch mode. It made a simple shot into a tougher one when he stopped in the brush farther out. I've since learned to hold the top of the safety and let it down easily and silently.
Didn't happen according to many of the "experts" here. Deer do not spook due to metallic clicks. But then alot of "experts" are fuggin dummies and aren't really as experienced or knowledgeable as they think they are.
I once owned a Browning BLR in 308 WIN - I racked it real easy one morning (being stealthy) and didn't realize I missed chambering a round until I fired it on an empty chamber at a doe standing about 50 yards away - she launched like a rocket when that CLICK sounded off! Sat there laughing my A$$ off at my own dumbness. Used to own a Ruger M77 MK-II in 257 RBTS, after many years of owning both Winchester M70's and old, M77 blue bolt/tang safety Ruger's I never grew to like the MK-II safety.
When hunting, I always use my thumb and forefinger to move the safety to fire to keep down noise, unless the jig is already up.

Bolt-mounted safeties can be longer without sticking out too far.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Rhe Ruger swing safety has never bothered me. Most of the time I have it in the "Fire" position over an empty chamber, which makes the manual of arms the same as my other bolt rifles regardless of safety type - load and fire.

That doesn’t work when still hunting......way too much movement and noise. I made the “click” with the safety on my Kimber a couple of years ago and watched a buck shiver all over when he heard it. Fortunately I made the shot.
Posted By: GeoW Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/22/20
Never have just flipped the safety off knowing it will make the click. I do use the finger and thumb to quietly manipulate the safety off safe, no problem, and if game is already spooked it really doesn't matter how you remove the safety.

I do like to glance down and see the safety engaged into it's slot in the cocking piece.

g
Originally Posted by GeoW
Never have just flipped the safety off knowing it will make the click. I do use the finger and thumb to quietly manipulate the safety off safe, no problem, and if game is already spooked it really doesn't matter how you remove the safety.

I do like to glance down and see the safety engaged into it's slot in the cocking piece.

g
No need to use the finger and thumb to quietly ease off the Ruger safety. Just push down on the top corner of the safety with your thumb and ease it forward..
That is how I do it. Works great.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Windfall
Didn't happen according to many of the "experts" here. Deer do not spook due to metallic clicks. But then alot of "experts" are fuggin dummies and aren't really as experienced or knowledgeable as they think they are.

Exactly. It's fake news. The experts here know better.
Never had a problem with it. Actually never thought about it until reading this thread.
Posted By: GF1 Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/22/20
I’ve hunted a lot with MkII rifles, never a problem with the size of the safety. In fact, I really don’t want it bigger and risk it catching on stuff.
If you have the time, taking the safety off a 77 isn’t a problem. It’s the need for speed that makes the 77 less than optimum in my opinion. If it was just a tad bit “prouder “ rather than hidden alongside the cocking piece I’d have nary a complaint. It not enough of a problem to get rid of the gun, just a minor annoying (to me) feature.

The time I “clicked” off the safety on the Kimber was on a very close deer that surprised me, literally looked to my left before I was going to take a step and there he was. He wasn’t there 30 seconds before, and I’ll admit I raised the gun a little fast and flicked off the safety a little fast. He got my heart pounding. When (if) I no longer get that excitement before pulling the trigger I’ll quit hunting.

+1
Originally Posted by GF1
I’ve hunted a lot with MkII rifles, never a problem with the size of the safety. In fact, I really don’t want it bigger and risk it catching on stuff.

This. The Ruger safety "problem" isn't.
I think it could be a bit larger and it certainly has a longer ARC then the M70 safety .
Posted By: jwall Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/26/20

CH & I have discussed this in years past here on the ‘fire’
Some strenuously object but I’m gonna say it again.

IF I’m hunting, ——- Rifle is HOT !
In 60yrs of hunting, quail, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, coyotes, deer, whatever (gun)
NEVER a problem.
YMMV, it doesn’t affect me.

Jerry
My Ruger centerfire rifles are predominately original 77s with tang safety, which I really like, but the safety on the MKII and Hawkeye I have are less desirable when hunting in very cold weather. In that weather I hunt with finger mittens, which you could make the point they can be bulky.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Excellent
Excellent
Excellent
good

It is good to see Ruger has the tang safeties on the Ruger American.

As usual, your mileage may vary.
Posted By: GF1 Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/26/20
Now, which of those safeties block the striker from falling, not just lock the teigger?
Originally Posted by jwall

In 60yrs of hunting, quail, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, coyotes, deer, whatever (gun)
NEVER a problem.

Jerry

Absolutely. I carry a fully loaded gun everyday of my life. I'm not about to switch to an unloaded gun to go hunting.
699 + 1 = 700 . . . . . . . . .there's your answer.
Originally Posted by jwall

NEVER a problem.

Jerry

Absolutely. I carry a fully loaded gun everyday of my life. I'm not about to switch to an unloaded gun to go hunting.

I have no problem with people that prefer to carry hot. I choose not to for a variety of reasons, as do the rest of my group. From a safety aspect, there is no safer way to carry. From a hunting aspect, I've never lost an animal because I carried empty and if I ever do, oh, well. smile

My CCW weapons are also empty chamber, for which Big Brother, who has carried hot for almost 50 years, gives me no end of grief. But I've never put a round through the floorboards of my car dropping the hammer on a 1911. Empty chamber makes the manual of arms the same for all my CCW weapons, regardless of single or double action, safety up or down to fire. There are advantages and disadvantages.
Posted By: GF1 Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/27/20
The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by hikerbum

thats what she said

I knew someone had to have beat me to this 😂
Originally Posted by GF1
The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.

Why don't you come right and say it, the 77 is a piece of crap.
Does nobody hunt w the safety in the middle position?

Sticks out plenty far to get ahold of and is still on safe.
Posted By: jwall Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Not a 77, But mine sticks out plenty, 70s and yes I like it in the middle. whistle

Jerry
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by GF1

Maybe because it’s not. Point is that the MkIIs, Hawkeyes and #1s all block the striker/hammer. The tang safety guns are as safe in that respect as a 700 Remington and it’s ilk.

I sometimes carry a rifle with a round up the spout, and believe the blocked striker business is a good deal.
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1

Maybe because it’s not. Point is that the MkIIs, Hawkeyes and #1s all block the striker/hammer. The tang safety guns are as safe in that respect as a 700 Remington and it’s ilk.

I sometimes carry a rifle with a round up the spout, and believe the blocked striker business is a good deal.

OK, so to be clear, you own and shoot MK11s, Hawkeyes and #1s, but no tang safety guns or 700 Remingtons and their ilk. Or, what else do you own and shoot? I am asking for a friend. grin
Did a lot of Army Training with the Safey On, but certain 'situations" called for "Safeties OFF". In Civillian Life, carried a 'Cocked & Locked" 1911 of some sort for about 25yrs. Never had a "ND", nor with the Glocks I used later. If the weapon is in "my control", its Hot. If not, its MT Chamber, hammer down. Hunting, I like the Mod 77 MKII style in the middle only when I expect a fast shot. I hunted with an Afrikaner who kept his bolt raised a tad, but this was not my cup of tea. I read somewhere that certain rifles still have the FP resting on the Primer in this position. Mod 70 was his rifle mostly. He was also a SA Vet who used his middle pad to fire his R1, so he set his hunting rifles at 8# and used the middle pad. He wanted me to use his 375 H&H/270 Failsafe on my first Warthog, just to see. I use the "right way" and I pulled under/missed a super nice pig! I later shot a smaller one, after I chewed him out about that God Awful Trigger and used "my own" middle paddigit! Hard Headed Afrikaners....I have a Love/Hate Relationship with them, ha.
Posted By: JPro Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/27/20

I keep mine in the middle when hunting. It's not as intuitive (in my hands) as my Tanger models, but it works okay. I do know a local hunter who missed an opportunity on a really nice buck a few years back because he didn't swing his MkII safety all the way forward. He luckily saw the buck again and didn't make the same mistake twice. We discussed the merits of the middle position for the lever when you are in a stationary hunting spot.
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1

OK, so to be clear, you own and shoot MK11s, Hawkeyes and #1s, but no tang safety guns or 700 Remingtons and their ilk. Or, what else do you own and shoot? I am asking for a friend. grin

Model 70s and Mausers...and an old Ruger heavy barrel flat bolt .220 Swift.
I have no issues with M77 safeties. Mine are all tangs.
Posted By: jwall Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/27/20
Guys, this is NOT directed at anyone and I'm NOT looking to fuss. This is JUST my experience & preference.

I'm not a 'tang' safety fan and here's why. I have hunted WITH gloves in extremely COLD wx and......
*< more than once >* I have ' found ' the safety OFF because of the WEB of the glove between thumb & palm pushed it
off.

Now, on the # 1 and Brownings the safety is far enuff forward NOT to be dangerous.

I prefer the safety to NOT be low in the pistol grip. Just my preference.
No Offense to anyone.

Jerry
I don't get all f***ed up about it I just use mine and kill stuff. Got tangers , All weathers and some Mk 2's. Winter must be getting long for some around here. MB
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1
[quote=roundoak][quote=GF1]The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.

Model 70s and Mausers...and an old Ruger heavy barrel flat bolt .220 Swift.

Oh boy, Model 70s. That should give pause to safety concerns on how they vent or contain gases, but that is getting too far off subject of this thread. grin
A CZ safety or the safety on my Marlin 22 would have em really phucqed up.

They are backwards. Never really bothered me any as I got that 22 when I was maybe 12 and been running the backwards bastard ever since.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/27/20
A CZ safety or the safety on my Marlin 22 would have em really phucqed up..

If this ain’t the truth.

I’ve got Push to fire 700s, Wing 77s, pull to fire CZs, crossbar safety 760s, thumb safety CZ75s and no safety glocks.

Never have had an issue with any, and all firearms outside of the safe are HOT. Always.
Posted By: GeoW Re: I like the Ruger 77 but..... - 02/28/20
Damn straight..
© 24hourcampfire