Home
With the exception of the Redfield style base & rings, I'm having a difficult time finding fault with this rifle. Winchester 70 XTR Featherweight? Check. God's 7mm (7x57)? Check. Its definitely already making my 700 Mountain Rifle .280 jealous, and I can see the 700Ti 7mm-08 already starting to sweat. Now I just need to find some Talley Lightweights, decide on another scope, and start launching some ammo!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Good catch!

Talley Lightweights with a fixed 4x or 6x and you're GTG!
Dunno about perfect, but it REALLY doesn't suck!
All that matters is that it is perfect for you. A blued and wood stocked rifle wouldn't be perfect for my needs but to each his own.
I like it!
"Perfect". Is in the eye of the beholder but that one would be hard to argue against.
She’s a beauty! Almost too pretty to hunt with.
I’d go 2-10
If you're enamored with that chambering.
Not to me it ain't.
I can’t find a fault in it
Well...maybe...except for my Ruger Hawkeye 275 Rigby! :-)
nothing wrong with those rings for a 7x57
I have the same rifle in the same cartridge. It has Talley lows and a Meopta 6x42.
Don't know if perfection exists in a firearm, but you had me at Featherweight...though I prefer CRF.
Beauty. Enjoy.
I'd take the Ti 7-08 off your hands.
Wrong caliber, wrong finish, wrong maker and wrong stock material. So no it’s not perfect for me. Don’t really matter what i think though. Sounds like it’s perfect for you.
The Model 70 is a great rifle for sure.
Nothing wrong with that! A pile of meat will fall in front of it.
GreggH
I always thought this one might be perfect. Not the prettiest but gets the job done. Steyr M Professional .30-06
[Linked Image from ]
Originally Posted by DollarShort

I used to think it was damn near perfect, it has a Vari-X III 2.5-8x36...but I've always had a soft spot for the old Rigby.
Originally Posted by Jason280
Originally Posted by DollarShort

I used to think it was damn near perfect, it has a Vari-X III 2.5-8x36...but I've always had a soft spot for the old Rigby.

I like blued and walnut also. Would like a Swede with a heavy barrel and a big scope for a classic range toy.
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Wrong caliber, wrong finish, wrong maker and wrong stock material. So no it’s not perfect for me. Don’t really matter what i think though. Sounds like it’s perfect for you.

Now I have to admit this is about the most perfectly self-aware, fair, and judicious disagreement I have ever read on an internet forum. Well said, sir.
I on the other hand, have the same rifle except in 6.5x55 (factory chambered) and think it's just the bomb. The only thing I did different is I wanted to preserve the original stock so I found a green, grey, and brown Winchester factory wood laminate stock on eBay and glassed my barreled action to it, just to preserve resale value on this somewhat rare chambering. I don't even know which rifle it originally came on...anyone? I've killed a bunch of critters with it. But how I wish it had a little shorter throat! With the full length magazine, I just load every 6.5 bullet with the heel of the slug even with the base of the neck and I still have a LONG drive to the lands.

Yours is a lovely rifle.
Rex
It is almost perfect, except its a pushfeed
TRexF16.......had the same rifle in the same 6.5x55mm. With the mag length you have available seating way out there isn't such a bad thing. Think Swede with a 3.34 COL. Friends used to comment on my loads as having a "lot of bullet hanging out there" way before they understood the concept of long high BC 6.5's
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It is almost perfect, except its a pushfeed

Well I have to admit I missed that. My 6.5x55 I wrote of is CRF but I doubt that makes it any better. I have three Remingtons that are push feed (out of a few dozen Mausers, CRF M-70s, and Springfields) and they are excellent rifles. I don't think the average shooter of a 7x57 (WDM Bell excepted) is going to have his actuarial tables altered by shooting a push feed versus a CRF.
I still side with the OP that it's a fabulous rifle.
BUT, were we to apply Col. Whelen's criterion, is it "interesting?" Inquiring minds want to know...
Originally Posted by bartman
TRexF16.......had the same rifle in the same 6.5x55mm. With the mag length you have available seating way out there isn't such a bad thing. Think Swede with a 3.34 COL. Friends used to comment on my loads as having a "lot of bullet hanging out there" way before they understood the concept of long high BC 6.5's

Like I tried to say, mine are hanging WAY out there - as far as I can stand, and they still are pretty far off the lands. On the other hand its like having an "improved" case without the feeding @ss pain. I get a bit more capacity in the case, and still some freebore to mitigate pressure. I can really "fling" a 140 AB or Partition out of that baby.
But I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. To keep it relevant, JC280, Mr. OP, what is the throat like in your 7x57?
Cheers,
Rex
No, not even close in my opinion, but if you are happy with it then that is all that matters
For myself, I like a Browning BLR takedown. I have several. The chamberings are pretty varied, from a straightwall .450 to the 22/250. My choice as a saddle rifle
Well perfect for you not me I have one like it in 6.5x55 with good rings and mounts. I sure wouldn't f**k it up putting talleywhackers on it.MB
Me either. Leupold Dual Dovetails and a gloss Leupold 3x9.
That checkering pattern is butt ugly (to me anyways) and would be the deal breaker. All else, including the chambering is perfect.

This one does blow my hair back. smile

https://thegundealer.net/product/winchester-model-70-super-grade-7mm-mauser/
Good Looking Rifle, however I'm prejudiced. I fell in love with the XTR FTWT when they were introd. in 1981 and got one in the Spring of '82 when they were available. I let that 270 W get away from me - I thot IT had a problem but it was NOT the rifle or stock. frown

When I had a good op I replaced it with this 6.5X55. smile Great rifle but not my fav cartridge.

It has killed deer for me anyway.

Jerry

It ain’t perfect....but pretty darn close! memtb
Originally Posted by jwall
Good Looking Rifle, however I'm prejudiced. I fell in love with the XTR FTWT when they were introd. in 1981 and got one in the Spring of '82 when they were available. I let that 270 W get away from me - I thot IT had a problem but it was NOT the rifle or stock. frown

When I had a good op I replaced it with this 6.5X55. smile Great rifle but not my fav cartridge.

It has killed deer for me anyway.

Jerry

I'll give $5 for that 6.5x55 Featherweight. wink
As long as YOU like it.

You lost me at XTR.
Yup, they're all perfect. Some are just perfecter than others. I love the lines of those Featherweights.
[quote=elkhunternm][quote=jwall]

-----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

grin grin

That's a good offer but......

How many Xs were you dropped on your head ? laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by SuperCub
That checkering pattern is butt ugly (to me anyways) and would be the deal breaker. All else, including the chambering is perfect.

Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Yup, they're all perfect. Some are just perfecter than others. I love the lines of those Featherweights.

R R , I agree, the STOCK grabbed me the FIRST time I saw it.

Don't pay attention to Cub..... He's a Canuck ! whistle laugh

Jerry
I love CRF acions but that's a feather weight and the push feed is a bit lighter if t makes you any difference.

Jerry

LOL ..... If the CDN factor played in this, that rifle would be a 303 Lee Enfield. smile

Paul
Wrong caliber, lol. Mine is 6.5x55
How does she shoot?
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Jerry

LOL ..... If the CDN factor played in this, that rifle would be a 303 Lee Enfield. smile

Paul

Now THAT would handicap it. whistle

Jerry
It's not a Tikka Creedmore, but it'll do.
[quote=elkhunternm][quote=jwall]

-----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

grin grin

That's a good offer but......

How many Xs were you dropped on your head ? laugh laugh laugh

Too many. wink laugh
Did this just turn into a FWT Sweedmoor picture thread? Schweet!

I like those stocks, it’s making me want one, Real bad
Have to agree with the OP except mine's a CRF in 270 but caliber is dictated by your hunting situation.
Those Featherweight XTR are incredibly smooth-running guns. Very well-finished.

How long is the throat on your 7x57?
Originally Posted by viking
Wrong caliber, lol. Mine is 6.5x55

Oddly enough, I just picked up my second Featherweight yesterday....in 6.5x55. wink Already mounted a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42 in Talleys, still waiting for the mounts to get here for the 7x57.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
How does she shoot?

No idea, yet...hope to get to the range later this week.
I have had that same rifle in:
308 Classic Compact
308 Stainless
308 Stainless Light Weight with tupperware stock
and 270 like yours pictured

If I ever find one in 257 Roberts at a reasonable price I will never let it go! I love those rifles, especially the stock.
Beautiful rifle. But perfect hunting rifle? Not for me for multiple reasons.

First is the wood stock. Give me a good synthetic. Second is the cartridge. 7x57 is OK but not what I would choose. Third is my 'perfect' hunting rifle would be stainless.

[Linked Image]
Left = Ruger MKII boat paddle/stainless .30-06
Right = Ruger Hawkeye synthetic/stainless .280 Remington

No such thing, 'cause factory specs rifles are made to fit "Mr. Average" and since everybody is different, anything designed to fit "Mr. Average" is a compromise for each individual 'cause we're all a little different and have different likes/needs/situations/wants.
It would work perfectly for me and, the Featherwieght of late iteration has long been my favorite production rifle, whether CRF or push feed. I've had several of both in various cartridges and they all shot. Only problem being as the barrel warmed, eventually they all walked a little but not enough to matter at 400-500 yards. Still, it was evident. Blued steel, walnut, classic cartridge, beautiful checkering pattern, especially if you have it pointed up and it isn't as cold as the grave like stainless and plastic canoe paddles. Personally, mine were all equipped with that type of base and rings whether Redfield, Leupold or Browning. I'd keep them above Talley's every time, especially on that rifle.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Dunno about perfect, but it REALLY doesn't suck!

I had a few of them and didn't keep any of them. In the same boat opinion wise.
Got a couple, one 7X57 and one SS 270 both with 6X36 Leupold scopes and cover 90% of all the hunting I do. CRF or push makes no differance. Shot XTR Winchesters and 700's for years with out a problem. If your push feed fails when you are being charged by a mad Cape Buffalo, God is calling you home for a reason! I use the dual dovetail or Talley steel mounts. Cambering pretty much over lap. BTY starting to feel very good about the new 6.5X55 Fieldcaraft I just bought a couple of weeks ago,sweet rifle, but won't let the Model 70's go.
[quote=Coyote_Hunter]

[Linked Image]
Left = Ruger MKII boat paddle/stainless .30-06
Right = Ruger Hawkeye synthetic/stainless .280 Remington

------------------------------

C H, don't you have a 3 of those Ruger boat paddle rifles ?

BEFORE they changed the sling 'attachment" or stirrups (p c), to studs, I seriously thot about getting 1 or 2 of them.
I could NOT make myself like the early ones.

Jerry

C H, don't you have a 3 of those Ruger boat paddle rifles ?

BEFORE they changed the sling 'attachment" or stirrups (p c), to studs, I seriously thot about getting 1 or 2 of them.
I could NOT make myself like the early ones.

Jerry

I do. But it isn't stainless. .
300WM. With "stirrups".
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

300WM. With "stirrups".

What's the accurate or appropriate name for the older sling attachment ?

Jerry
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

300WM. With "stirrups".

What's the accurate or appropriate name for the older sling attachment ?

Jerry

Swivel
Okay but it's been so long I could not remember exactly what term described them.

Thnx

Jerry
Originally Posted by Jason280
With the exception of the Redfield style base & rings, I'm having a difficult time finding fault with this rifle. Winchester 70 XTR Featherweight? Check. God's 7mm (7x57)? Check. Its definitely already making my 700 Mountain Rifle .280 jealous, and I can see the 700Ti 7mm-08 already starting to sweat. Now I just need to find some Talley Lightweights, decide on another scope, and start launching some ammo!

I dunno...I used to think so.

Now its a toss up between that one and the Ruger 77 African in .275 Rigby... grin

I have the same in 300Win and Talley mounts with 6x42 MeOpta...Most accurate rifle I ever owned...Model 70 from Portugal...Timney trigger
I have three of the early Featherweight XTR rifles in 223, 30-06, and a 270 rebored to 35 Whelen. These rifles are just about as perfect as they come. Beautiful stocks, high gloss bluing, light weight, what's not to like?
I would like to pick up a 257 Roberts, 6.5 Swede, and a 7x57 to round out a nice set of these beautiful rifles. One other of the reasons I like the Featherweight XTR's, besides looking like traditional rifles should, is they fit me.
I'm not a fan of stainless and rough finished rifles and plastic stocks. Yes they do have thier place, good tools, boat paddles and can double as tent stakes. I do have a couple of stainless finished rifles with plastic stocks. Yes they are good guns, but, utility is not all there is to rifles.
Rifles are like furniture, you can have a chair with nice wood and upholstery, or a folding card table chair. Both will get the job done.
Jason280, that's a beautiful rifle. This thread has got me looking to expand my XTR set.
No , it’s not perfect but it’s a damn good rifle. A person can go much worse than a FW XTR. Before I sold all my rifles, I had a 257 Rob and 7x57.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Now its a toss up between that one and the Ruger 77 African in .275 Rigby... grin

Ingwe:

What scope did you finally settle on?
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe:

What scope did you finally settle on?

3x9 Burris FFII with ballistic plex.

My current load is a 150 gr, NBT as I dont see myself shooting anything over 300 pounds ever again. The trajectory on the load is nearly identical to a 180 gr. 30-06 which is what the Ballistic Plex is designed for.

And sure enough...it is spot on at all ranges out to 400 yards ( havent tried it further.)

A perfect combination ...

Hows the old Ingwe Special holding up?
I thought that's what it was.

We've had dry weather and the lease is dry, so I'm going to swap out the 1.5-5 for a 2-7 and put the old girl back to work until the rainy season starts again. I'll dig up a picture and post here so as not to derail the thread.

Thanks.
Our family has 4 mod 70 featherweights and 1 mod 70EW very happy with them all. All except 2 made in last 3 years, added timney triggers to most of them.
I like the XTR featheweights, but I'd rather have a classic. I sold the last XTR fwt to a guy here and it ended up being the best rifle for that guys daughter. She loves it and that's all that matters. When guys say they have the perfect rifle, I think good for them, as I have many perfect rifles. One of my good buddies told me that I always try to improve on the already perfect rifle and he only wished he could have 1 perfect rifle. They are out there for sure. You just got to know what it is that makes it perfect for you. To me that means, it has to look good, it has to fit well, it has to be perfectly balanced (when I hunt, my rifle is in hand 99% of the time). Hopefully you guys know what I mean by perfectly balanced. I know if they are right after one day in the field. I'm like Ingwe, I like my burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex rifle scopes on my hunting rifles. They have yet to let me down in the field or at the range. Here's a tikka that is fairly new to me, it shoots sub moa and balances out perfectly. It also looks good:

Another rifle that weighs just a hair (and I'm talking a fat pubic hair) more is my pre 64 model 70. That rifle is damn near perfect:
The Tikka above is jealous of how this old factory rifle (made in '56) shoots..

Speaking of Tikka's, this one is damn near perfect for stretching its legs (the reason it has a bigger scope on it):
The funny thing is, this "superlite" weighs more than the super old featherweight rifle in the above pic. It shoots slightly better though:

Some guys used to think the old Ruger boat paddle was about "perfect", especially for extremely wet and miserable weather:
This rifle would be sub 8 pounds if I had the lighter FFII 3-9x40 on it. I was shooting steel with it at 400 yards to test the accuracy. The old Ruger is a shooter too... Perfect? Maybe for some, but not for others.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like the XTR featheweights, but I'd rather have a classic. I sold the last XTR fwt to a guy here and it ended up being the best rifle for that guys daughter. She loves it and that's all that matters. When guys say they have the perfect rifle, I think good for them, as I have many perfect rifles. One of my good buddies told me that I always try to improve on the already perfect rifle and he only wished he could have 1 perfect rifle. They are out there for sure. You just got to know what it is that makes it perfect for you. To me that means, it has to look good, it has to fit well, it has to be perfectly balanced (when I hunt, my rifle is in hand 99% of the time). Hopefully you guys know what I mean by perfectly balanced. I know if they are right after one day in the field. I'm like Ingwe, I like my burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex rifle scopes on my hunting rifles. They have yet to let me down in the field or at the range. Here's a tikka that is fairly new to me, it shoots sub moa and balances out perfectly. It also looks good:

Another rifle that weighs just a hair (and I'm talking a fat pubic hair) more is my pre 64 model 70. That rifle is damn near perfect:
The Tikka above is jealous of how this old factory rifle (made in '56) shoots..

Speaking of Tikka's, this one is damn near perfect for stretching its legs (the reason it has a bigger scope on it):
The funny thing is, this "superlite" weighs more than the super old featherweight rifle in the above pic. It shoots slightly better though:

Some guys used to think the old Ruger boat paddle was about "perfect", especially for extremely wet and miserable weather:
This rifle would be sub 8 pounds if I had the lighter FFII 3-9x40 on it. I was shooting steel with it at 400 yards to test the accuracy. The old Ruger is a shooter too... Perfect? Maybe for some, but not for others.

Damn now I’m just a guy on the forums that really hurts.. I get it you are mr high roller these days, you can’t be caught associating with us common folks.. I will always remember the great times we had, and I understand it’s not you, it’s me😭😭😭
Very nice looking rifle, have a similar one in .270
"BUT, were we to apply Col. Whelen's criterion, is it "interesting?" Inquiring minds want to know..."

Well, as no one else seemed to want to answer this, I'll post my results I have the M70 FWT in 7x57 and depending on the load it shoots anywhere from .375" to .75" depending on how well I'm shooting. Best groups have been with the Nosler ballistic tips with Partitions not far behind. Once I found the right seating depth 150 gr. Winchester power points ran right at .75" and a sometime slightly less. Sierra 170 gr. round nose run right at .50"as did the Hornady RNs until I ran out.
On the other hand, and to to be fair to the rifle, my M70 FWT in .257 Roberts hasn't proven to shoot all that well but I'll admit to not doing very much with it due to other projects taking precedence. On the other hand, my son in law's M70 257 Roberts FWT was a tack driver right off the bat with 100 gr. Barnes TSX. My rifle with the same load scatters them to hell and gone. Just the difference in guns.
I did the load work up for his .257 and his FWT in .300 WSM which ran right around .75" with the 165 gr. Ballistic tip. That's the bullet he wanted to so so that's what I gave him. When I get that .257 worked out then I can say they're all pretty accurate but as whole based on four rifles with three out of the four being good shooters,I'd say the odd are in favor of them being good shooting rifles. Would I buy another one? Hell yes. I like the look and they out shoot the Remington m700s I have. Maybe not by much but they do just that. THey also fit me like a glove.
Paul B.
I was finally able to get a scope mounted, a 30mm Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 in Talley base/rings. Now, I just need some extra time to get to the range...

© 24hourcampfire