Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I do. But it isn't stainless. .
300WM. With "stirrups".

What's the accurate or appropriate name for the older sling attachment ?

Jerry

Swivel

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay but it's been so long I could not remember exactly what term described them.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jason280
With the exception of the Redfield style base & rings, I'm having a difficult time finding fault with this rifle. Winchester 70 XTR Featherweight? Check. God's 7mm (7x57)? Check. Its definitely already making my 700 Mountain Rifle .280 jealous, and I can see the 700Ti 7mm-08 already starting to sweat. Now I just need to find some Talley Lightweights, decide on another scope, and start launching some ammo!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I dunno...I used to think so.

Now its a toss up between that one and the Ruger 77 African in .275 Rigby... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the same in 300Win and Talley mounts with 6x42 MeOpta...Most accurate rifle I ever owned...Model 70 from Portugal...Timney trigger

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have three of the early Featherweight XTR rifles in 223, 30-06, and a 270 rebored to 35 Whelen. These rifles are just about as perfect as they come. Beautiful stocks, high gloss bluing, light weight, what's not to like?
I would like to pick up a 257 Roberts, 6.5 Swede, and a 7x57 to round out a nice set of these beautiful rifles. One other of the reasons I like the Featherweight XTR's, besides looking like traditional rifles should, is they fit me.
I'm not a fan of stainless and rough finished rifles and plastic stocks. Yes they do have thier place, good tools, boat paddles and can double as tent stakes. I do have a couple of stainless finished rifles with plastic stocks. Yes they are good guns, but, utility is not all there is to rifles.
Rifles are like furniture, you can have a chair with nice wood and upholstery, or a folding card table chair. Both will get the job done.
Jason280, that's a beautiful rifle. This thread has got me looking to expand my XTR set.

Last edited by KnightHawk; 03/22/20.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
No , it’s not perfect but it’s a damn good rifle. A person can go much worse than a FW XTR. Before I sold all my rifles, I had a 257 Rob and 7x57.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

Now its a toss up between that one and the Ruger 77 African in .275 Rigby... grin

Ingwe:

What scope did you finally settle on?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe:

What scope did you finally settle on?

3x9 Burris FFII with ballistic plex.

My current load is a 150 gr, NBT as I dont see myself shooting anything over 300 pounds ever again. The trajectory on the load is nearly identical to a 180 gr. 30-06 which is what the Ballistic Plex is designed for.

And sure enough...it is spot on at all ranges out to 400 yards ( havent tried it further.)

A perfect combination ...

Hows the old Ingwe Special holding up?

Last edited by ingwe; 03/22/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I thought that's what it was.

We've had dry weather and the lease is dry, so I'm going to swap out the 1.5-5 for a 2-7 and put the old girl back to work until the rainy season starts again. I'll dig up a picture and post here so as not to derail the thread.

Thanks.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Our family has 4 mod 70 featherweights and 1 mod 70EW very happy with them all. All except 2 made in last 3 years, added timney triggers to most of them.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the XTR featheweights, but I'd rather have a classic. I sold the last XTR fwt to a guy here and it ended up being the best rifle for that guys daughter. She loves it and that's all that matters. When guys say they have the perfect rifle, I think good for them, as I have many perfect rifles. One of my good buddies told me that I always try to improve on the already perfect rifle and he only wished he could have 1 perfect rifle. They are out there for sure. You just got to know what it is that makes it perfect for you. To me that means, it has to look good, it has to fit well, it has to be perfectly balanced (when I hunt, my rifle is in hand 99% of the time). Hopefully you guys know what I mean by perfectly balanced. I know if they are right after one day in the field. I'm like Ingwe, I like my burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex rifle scopes on my hunting rifles. They have yet to let me down in the field or at the range. Here's a tikka that is fairly new to me, it shoots sub moa and balances out perfectly. It also looks good:

Another rifle that weighs just a hair (and I'm talking a fat pubic hair) more is my pre 64 model 70. That rifle is damn near perfect:
The Tikka above is jealous of how this old factory rifle (made in '56) shoots..

Speaking of Tikka's, this one is damn near perfect for stretching its legs (the reason it has a bigger scope on it):
The funny thing is, this "superlite" weighs more than the super old featherweight rifle in the above pic. It shoots slightly better though:

Some guys used to think the old Ruger boat paddle was about "perfect", especially for extremely wet and miserable weather:
This rifle would be sub 8 pounds if I had the lighter FFII 3-9x40 on it. I was shooting steel with it at 400 yards to test the accuracy. The old Ruger is a shooter too... Perfect? Maybe for some, but not for others.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like the XTR featheweights, but I'd rather have a classic. I sold the last XTR fwt to a guy here and it ended up being the best rifle for that guys daughter. She loves it and that's all that matters. When guys say they have the perfect rifle, I think good for them, as I have many perfect rifles. One of my good buddies told me that I always try to improve on the already perfect rifle and he only wished he could have 1 perfect rifle. They are out there for sure. You just got to know what it is that makes it perfect for you. To me that means, it has to look good, it has to fit well, it has to be perfectly balanced (when I hunt, my rifle is in hand 99% of the time). Hopefully you guys know what I mean by perfectly balanced. I know if they are right after one day in the field. I'm like Ingwe, I like my burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex rifle scopes on my hunting rifles. They have yet to let me down in the field or at the range. Here's a tikka that is fairly new to me, it shoots sub moa and balances out perfectly. It also looks good:

Another rifle that weighs just a hair (and I'm talking a fat pubic hair) more is my pre 64 model 70. That rifle is damn near perfect:
The Tikka above is jealous of how this old factory rifle (made in '56) shoots..

Speaking of Tikka's, this one is damn near perfect for stretching its legs (the reason it has a bigger scope on it):
The funny thing is, this "superlite" weighs more than the super old featherweight rifle in the above pic. It shoots slightly better though:

Some guys used to think the old Ruger boat paddle was about "perfect", especially for extremely wet and miserable weather:
This rifle would be sub 8 pounds if I had the lighter FFII 3-9x40 on it. I was shooting steel with it at 400 yards to test the accuracy. The old Ruger is a shooter too... Perfect? Maybe for some, but not for others.

Damn now I’m just a guy on the forums that really hurts.. I get it you are mr high roller these days, you can’t be caught associating with us common folks.. I will always remember the great times we had, and I understand it’s not you, it’s me😭😭😭

Last edited by 79S; 03/22/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very nice looking rifle, have a similar one in .270

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"BUT, were we to apply Col. Whelen's criterion, is it "interesting?" Inquiring minds want to know..."

Well, as no one else seemed to want to answer this, I'll post my results I have the M70 FWT in 7x57 and depending on the load it shoots anywhere from .375" to .75" depending on how well I'm shooting. Best groups have been with the Nosler ballistic tips with Partitions not far behind. Once I found the right seating depth 150 gr. Winchester power points ran right at .75" and a sometime slightly less. Sierra 170 gr. round nose run right at .50"as did the Hornady RNs until I ran out.
On the other hand, and to to be fair to the rifle, my M70 FWT in .257 Roberts hasn't proven to shoot all that well but I'll admit to not doing very much with it due to other projects taking precedence. On the other hand, my son in law's M70 257 Roberts FWT was a tack driver right off the bat with 100 gr. Barnes TSX. My rifle with the same load scatters them to hell and gone. Just the difference in guns.
I did the load work up for his .257 and his FWT in .300 WSM which ran right around .75" with the 165 gr. Ballistic tip. That's the bullet he wanted to so so that's what I gave him. When I get that .257 worked out then I can say they're all pretty accurate but as whole based on four rifles with three out of the four being good shooters,I'd say the odd are in favor of them being good shooting rifles. Would I buy another one? Hell yes. I like the look and they out shoot the Remington m700s I have. Maybe not by much but they do just that. THey also fit me like a glove.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I was finally able to get a scope mounted, a 30mm Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 in Talley base/rings. Now, I just need some extra time to get to the range...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.