Home
Posted By: 907brass What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
I'm staring into my gun safe like a guy staring into an open fridge while stuck in his house during quarantine...
All I see is a .22lr, 6.5CM, 30-06, and a .300WSM.

For short action hunting rig, what caliber would you add and why?
For Long action hunting rig, what caliber would you add and why?

Please use the lens of a hunting specific rifle (not tactical, AR platform, or benchrest). What am I missing most?

Thanks!

Attached picture images.jpg
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
222 remington for varmints.(wolves, foxes and even deer upclose) 223 527 CZ or Tikka t3x if you can't find a vixen or small browning.

416 Ruger in a Ruger 77 Guide Rifle or 9.3X62 in a CZ 550 in a full stock carbine. This is for Brown Bears, Goats and Bison if you draw Delta.
Posted By: Judman Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
358win, SA, or 338 mag LA
I wouldn't want to be without a .223.
Posted By: 907brass Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Just curious, do you mean in a non-AR platform? Because I do have a couple ARs.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
and Bison if you draw Delta.

Hahaha, that's a good one!
I see your point on the caliber, but I'm not going to hold my breath on the bison tag. Dad's been applying for several decades now.
Originally Posted by 907brass
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Just curious, do you mean in a non-AR platform? Because I do have a couple ARs.
If you like the AR's that's fine. I've got both an AR and a bolt action .223. I like both but if I were only to have one it would be a bolt.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Nothing in 33 or 35 caliber? 338-06? 35 Whelen? 375 Whelen? These could also be Ackleyized if you're buying a reamer.

For a short action a 358 Winchester? Are there varmints up thataway? 22-250? 243?

For a bigger thump on a long action how about 358 Norma? Neck up a 30 Nosler & you would have a modern 35 Newton.

It's fun spending someone else's money.
I’d buy a 22 centerfire of some kind. I have a Tikka T3 Superlite 8-twist 223 and its fun, cheap to shoot, and works as a great predator calling rifle and understudy to my big game rifles.

Does your hunting create a necessity for a medium or big bore? Maybe something to hunt open country?
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Does your hunting create a necessity for a medium or big bore? Maybe something to hunt open country?

I go after anything I can in Alaska -- from ptarmigan to brown bear, from tundra to the Tongass thick brushy forest. Would love to hunt elk and pronghorn 'down south', too, but it's not in the cards yet.
Then I think I’d add a 223 and a 338 Win Mag to what you already have.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Add a 223 and replace either the 30-06 or 300 WSM with a 375. You don't need a 30-06 AND a 300 WSM. Keep the one you shoot best or have the most sentimental attachment to. If I felt like anything in 30 caliber wasn't enough gun I'd skip everything else and go straight to 375. Nothing in 33 or 35 caliber is significantly better than what you already have. I'd buy a Ruger in 375 Ruger, but if you're feeling sentimental then something 375 H&H.
.22 Hornet, .45-70
As much as I like the Deuce and Hornet I would opt for the Fireball.
17 Fireball or 17 Remington or both. Also a 358 win in a carbine bolt gun or possibly the same in a 35 Remington. You've got a 6.5 Creed already but myself I'd still have a 260 Remington and a 7mm-08.
Posted By: viking Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
22-250.
45-70 Sharps. Mostly because I was just watching Rancho Deluxe. (And it could be your closer rangen, brush gun.)
Posted By: hanco Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Get a fast twist 22-250 and a 338 Win mag.

A 223 AR and a 300 Weatherby wouldn’t be a bad idea or all four!
Posted By: TATELAW Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
I'm with the rest of the folks about the bolt action 223. I've got 3 and I couldn't imagine being without one.

As for the long action, Alaska seems like the perfect excuse for a 375 H&H. I agree with JMR40 that the 375 is the next logical step up from a 30-06 or 300WSM. 30 cal for things that won't eat you, 375 for things that will.
Posted By: horse1 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
1:8 or 1:7 223 or 22-250 for the short action.

Given you're in AK and actually have the opportunity to run into as well as hunt Grizzly bears, 375H&H for the long action.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
222 is a great round.

If not into AR's and want a 223 a Ruger mini 14 (or mini) 30 are great guns and can be used for hunting.
A levergun for the long action because they're slim and fast...and cowboys.
And a Hornet, Deuce, or 223 for the short action. Probably 223 to start with...or whichever you find in a rifle you like.

Course you could get a 45 or 357 in a 92 and call it your short action
A Browning BLR in .358 Win/Marlin 45-70 guide gun for the short and either Ruger or H&H for the 375. I also suggest you sell the 300WSM as the 30-06 can do what it does, really. Have a ball though pard!
Posted By: Dre Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
223 tikka fast twist a must for sure. Because no safe should not have a 223. Cheap fun and good for deer or wolfs

9.3x62 a classic heavy hitter
.33 or .375

Or whatever tickles your fancy.
I'll go with 338 federal for the short action in a bolt rifle.

And for a long action I think a 375H&H is sweet, a lot of gun and still fun to shoot in the right rifle.

Have fun and let us know if you decide to get something in the near future.
Posted By: JPro Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
I'm staring into my gun safe like a guy staring into an open fridge while stuck in his house during quarantine...

Please use the lens of a hunting specific rifle (not tactical, AR platform, or benchrest). What am I missing most?

Thanks!

Sometimes it's not a matter of adding another chambering, as much as it is adding another rifle with a different role. As an example, it's totally possible to have 6.5CM hunting rifles in an AR10, a nice walnut/blued sporter, a stainless/synthetic hard-use sporter, and a heavier target/tactical platform. What holes do you have in your lineup that you want to fill? A blued steel looker? A stainless beater truck gun? A portable carbine? You might have the chamberings covered with the 6.5mm and .30cal rifles you already own.
Posted By: deflave Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20

Thanks!
.....................Loaded questions. You did not specify what game. Regardless, if I were you I would go after a 7mm and a 338 either in short or long action at power levels DEPENDING on what game you are hunting. Maybe throw in a 375?..................More specifics please.
SA - 22 creed if you load or 6 creed if you don’t.
LA - 9.3 or 375.
I'd want to add a .223 and a 9.3x62.
Posted By: Teal Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20

Thanks!

Were it me - I'd ditch the 300wsm. Replace with a 223 and then add a 375 H&H/Ruger

If I need "more" than the 30-06, I need MORE and 300wsm is not that. Get up to the 375 and call it good. Rather have the extra in the belly with the 06 vs WSM.

I'd want a 223 as a do all varmint rifle tho the 6.5 might work but if I was saving fur - I'd think easier to do 223 and cheap to feed.

Just me, YMMV....
Posted By: Rossimp Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Couple of assumptions. You live in southern Alaska so I assume you have some wildlife sidearm protection for any local encounters. Putting that aside, I am assuming you can reload ammunition, if so this would be my recommendation:

Keep the 300 WSM, no matter what anyone says it offers more power on large game, especially when hurling 180 grain and 200 grain loads. The WSM hand loaded will show 250-300 fps velocity gains over the 30-06. On big bears or other very large game it would have enhanced performance at a distance with less drop and wind drift.

Take the 30-06 and rebarrel to a 6mm-06. As a light recoiling field carry rifle it would be hard to beat, especially given all the 6mm components that exit today. Twist rate should be minimum 1:8 or faster depending on preferable loads and game size. I have a couple of friends that use on long, long range coyote and deer, truly amazing bullet flight time to impact. In your neck of the woods it would find great use on sitka deer, black bears and such. Easy to load from 30-06 brass, which is in no short supply and load information abounds as it is a popular wildcat. Plus you’d have something different to show and talk about.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Posted By: 16bore Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
1:8 223 T3, SWFA MQ
Posted By: Tejano Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Easy choice: 223 or 204 on the low end and 375 H&H on the high end.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
22 creed
Posted By: 1minute Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
...............Loaded questions. You did not specify what game. Regardless, if I were you I would go after a 7mm and a 338 either in short or long action at power levels DEPENDING on what game you are hunting. Maybe throw in a 375?..................More specifics please.

For what I do hunt, I can technically take it all with the .22lr, 6.5CM, and .300WSM. The 30-06 is a sentimental family rifle and so it'll probably stick around either way, but I don't hunt with it very often.
As I said in an earlier reply, I hunt everything in Alaska. So truly, I mean this to be a conversation about 'what would YOU add' to gain versatility in a collection.
I'm hearing a lot of votes for .223
Would anyone who said that elaborate on why they'd choose .223 over a 6mm/.243 round?
Thanks!
Posted By: Teal Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Would anyone who said that elaborate on why they'd choose .223 over a 6mm/.243 round?
Thanks!

6mm and the 6.5 creed have a ton of crossover for me. I'd have one or the other, not both.

223 is super cheap to feed.
Thanks!
I have both.243 and .223. If I were only going to have one or the other it would be .223 because it's much cheaper to shoot with much longer barrel life and still covers varmints/predators to deer.
.375 H&H
22 Creed

.470 NE Double!
Posted By: Dre Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
Thanks!

As others said, overlap and price to play.
What were you thinking for your SA and LA calibers?
I think you need another Creed 😁....Hb
Posted By: rj112275 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/21/20
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...aign=gunwerks-skuhl-dangerous-game-rifle

Large 375 or 416 or 338 RUM
Posted By: Ky221 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20
223 and 375 h&h.

Or go classy and do a 222 in place of the 223.
Posted By: Region6 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20
338 Win Mag for the long action. Add a lever in 45-70, 348 Win, 444 marlin or similar. The short action is would suggest a 223 if the missionary position completes your life. If you desire more the 17’s day r a fast twist 22-250 will bring spice to the safe.
Originally Posted by Region6
338 Win Mag for the long action. Add a lever in 45-70, 348 Win, 444 marlin or similar. The short action is would suggest a 223 if the missionary position completes your life. If you desire more the 17’s day r a fast twist 22-250 will bring spice to the safe.

Nah...the 6.5 Creed is the same ol same ol with a raincoat. 223 is liquor in the front poker in the rear double backflip off the high board stunt jumping on a yz80.
Posted By: 16bore Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20
No regrets buying a 223, only selling them. It’s 22LR fun with 30-06 dope.
SS Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. It sounds like you need a shotgun too. Maybe an older 870 Wingmaster 12 ga.?
Posted By: drover Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20

Thanks!

No brainer - 223 Rem.

Good for everything from field mice to deer.

Handles with loads from 40 gr to 90 grs (depending on twist of course).

Easy to load for with tons of inexpensive components practically anywhere from your local farm store to high-end retailers.

Available in bolt, single shot, and semi-auto actions (no lever actions that I can recall)

It's almost unamerican to not have one in your safe.

drover
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20
Here is what might be some good choices.
L is Sako Vixen 222 with Zeiss 6X R is CZ American 527 223 rem with m8 4X
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20
Others were suggesting a NH Model 70 Classic in SS in 375HH

I was going to put a plum 2-7 x 33 Leupold on it but the little old scope needs to get mailed by to Oregon.
So it is irons till the scope comes back.

It is interesting since the Corona I have time to actually post guns. Maybe as snow gets melted I will do some of those fence post pictures.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Alex38 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20
A 223 or 243 for the short action, depending on if it’ll see more time shooting or hunting. For the long action, 338 Win Mag was the first thing that came to mind, though being able to hunt grizzlies and browns on a regular basis could easily make a 375 justifiable.
Originally Posted by drover

Thanks!

No brainer - 223 Rem.

Good for everything from field mice to deer.

Handles with loads from 40 gr to 90 grs (depending on twist of course).

Easy to load for with tons of inexpensive components practically anywhere from your local farm store to high-end retailers.

Available in bolt, single shot, and semi-auto actions (no lever actions that I can recall)

It's almost unamerican to not have one in your safe.

drover

Remington made a plastic stocked pump, which might be cool in lieu of a semi-auto. Henry makes a lever action, but I'd have to pass.
Thanks!

Got my .223 long before I got a .243. As teal points out, a .223 is "super cheap to feed". I like that. I also appreciate the minimal recoil. I buy .223 bullets 500 to the box and boost them with 27g powder. Factory ammo is cheap, too.

When my grandkids start shooting, the .223 will be the first centerfire they shoot.

For my big game hunting purposes, I'll take a .243 over a .223 every time.
Posted By: Cigar Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/22/20
You got a nice Battery for not being a rifle loon. I would go with a 404 Jeffery or something like that.
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Nothing in 33 or 35 caliber? 338-06? 35 Whelen? 375 Whelen? These could also be Ackleyized if you're buying a reamer.

For a short action a 358 Winchester? Are there varmints up thataway? 22-250? 243?

For a bigger thump on a long action how about 358 Norma? Neck up a 30 Nosler & you would have a modern 35 Newton.

It's fun spending someone else's money.

I’d go with basically this, a medium bore in .33 or .35, your choice of long or short action. Good options in both calibers and actions.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/23/20
I like the .243 suggestion for the short, but it's not that much smaller than the 6.5CM. If your ARs are good varmiters, I'd go .243 - if not, I'd go .223 bolt action for the short.
I think the previous poster that said the 30-06 and 300WSM were redundant made a good point. So, to really round out your battery, get the little rifle you want, keep the 300 WSM, and send the 30-06 to JES along with $250 and have him rebore and rechamber it to 9.3x62. Now you'll have a great medium bore and your battery solidly covers everything that can be hunted on this continent!

The only downside to that plan is then you will be an American without a 30-06. And that just ain't right...

I just got my 1903 Springfield back from JES after being rebored to 9.3x62, and it's averaging .65 MOA so far (only 27 rounds down the bore to date). But it has about a .630" muzzle. If your -06 is a really lightweight barrel it might not be as good a candidate for the rebore - food for thought. LOTS of folks on 24CF have used JES.

Let us know what you decide.
Cheers,
Rex
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Thanks!

Got my .223 long before I got a .243. As teal points out, a .223 is "super cheap to feed". I like that. I also appreciate the minimal recoil. I buy .223 bullets 500 to the box and boost them with 27g powder. Factory ammo is cheap, too.

When my grandkids start shooting, the .223 will be the first centerfire they shoot.

For my big game hunting purposes, I'll take a .243 over a .223 every time.

I'd pick my 243 over my 223 also. But the 243 is essentially my big gun. And itt has more effective range over the 223.

But 907 already has a 6.5 Creedmoor, and an AR. So a little different scenario.
I guess it depends on the configuration of the Creedmoor. If it's a heavy target rifle then a lightweight 243 would be a great choice. But if the 6.5 Creedmoor is a lightweight hunting rifle, then I might feel different.
Posted By: 907brass Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by DollarShort

But 907 already has a 6.5 Creedmoor, and an AR. So a little different scenario.
I guess it depends on the configuration of the Creedmoor. If it's a heavy target rifle then a lightweight 243 would be a great choice. But if the 6.5 Creedmoor is a lightweight hunting rifle, then I might feel different.

My 6.5CM is my light, alpine-hunter setup. Actually, my .300WSM is a lightweight gun too. Most commonly, my 6.5CM is for blacktails and my .300WSM is for black bears.

As TRex brought up, yes one of my AR's is set up as a varminter. I've been really happy with it, and get sub-moa all day with it. But don't worry TRex, my 30-06 isn't going anywhere. I may not hunt with it very much, but it is a sentimental rifle and it'll stay with me regardless of whatever else in my safe moves around.
For those with .223 bolt guns: what twist rate are you using, and are you happy with it?
And for those of you with .375H&Hs:
Why Holland and Holland and not .375 Ruger?
Why .375 over .338?
Any specific rifles you like in .375?

I'm loving the suggestions and opinions; thank you all.
Posted By: 16bore Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/23/20
For those with .223 bolt guns: what twist rate are you using, and are you happy with it?

tikka 1:8, SWFA. Forget about all the bullschit.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Then I think I’d add a 223 and a 338 Win Mag to what you already have.

That's what I'd add, too, and then probably sneak a 22-250 in as well, just for the hell of it...
Posted By: Mohawk Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/24/20
I guess I'm getting old and losing some of my rifle loonyism. I think you already have things pretty well covered. I would just use what you got and spend money on tags and hunting trips.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/24/20

2 with 1-9, 1 with 1-12. I like the 1-9 better. I'd prefer a 1-8, but they are harder to come by. The 1-12 is an older Ruger M77 MarkII Ultralight that fits me like a custom. The 1-12 is a little limiting, but the rifle isn't going anywhere.

Why .375 over .338?

I don't have a 375 and have absolutely no need for a 375. That being said, the H&H just has a cool factor that's hard to top. My dream rifle is a Pre 64 M70 in 375H&H. After reading about the 375 Ruger, I think it's a well designed round, but it just isn't as classy as the H&H.
Posted By: 16bore Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/24/20
Trip one of the .30 cals, throw in a 1:8 223, and quit messing around.
Posted By: pete53 Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/24/20
i still shoot my bench rifles plenty,but i purchased this winter a new Ruger s.s. bolt action 22 Hornet and its been accurate and deadly on varmints this spring and this little rifle has very little recoil and a great magazine/clip system . everyone should own at least 1 - 22 hornet rifle and reload for a hornet too,its cheap to shoot ,check out the reloading book on volume of powder used per 22 hornet cartridge = 7gr.s-10 gr.s of powder.
I've never entirely warmed up to the Ruger American. But I'm considering selling my old slower twist 223 and getting a Predator in 223 because of the 8-twist, and AR style mag. I heard of issues with the rotary mag in 223. And the main reason, is I believe with the barrel nut you can set the barrel back enough to AI it without cutting a thread off...maybe. Then add a Boyd's stock for a reasonable long range toy that shouldn't be too heavy to hunt.
I don't know jack about the AR style mags that they come with. But I believe I read that Magpul makes an AI mag that will fit and let you seat the heavies out long?

Mainly to get into the long range dopin and dialin with relatively cheap ammo that's also not expensive to reload. But also to hunt with.

But this is just something that struck me all the sudden. So I'd have to do some calculatin and ponderin to see if it'd really be worth my while. Or if I'd be happy with it in the long run, because it'd likely never be worth the money put into it.
Seems like a reasonable compromise of light heavy barrel and portability though. And ring options would be more than with a Tikka, although I don't know if their rep for accuracy is equal at this point.

Also I appreciate the 70° bolt lift for scope clearance.
Posted By: rnovi Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/24/20
Why .375 over .338?

Really, there’s not much difference in the H&H vs. the Ruger. About 100 fps, and no game animal will know the difference.

The .375 H&H is a more common cartridge than the Ruger. You can find the H&H in gun stores with more commonality.

The advantage of the Ruger is that it’s chambered in a standard length rifle - the same as an ‘06. This reduces manufacturing costs and therefore makes an “Africa Dangers Game Rifle” generally more attainable.

Purists will say that any rifle with a Controlled Round Feed is the only answer for a Dangerous Game Rilfe...though the reality is that the Garand, the M14, the Rem 700 Sniper and the AR-15 are pushfeeds used in the most dangerous conflicts around.

Which one’s best? All of them. It’s hard to find a truly bad rifle anymore. Winchester, Remington, Browning, Dakota, Customs...there is no best without knowing how you define “best”. For me, I have an 8# 6oz Montana ‘99 scoped with a VX6 1-6 driving 3/4” groups with 300gr. Partitions moving at 2,500 fps. It looks like [bleep].

I suppose I could do “better”.../shrug.

Practice creates more value and opportunity than “better”.

PS: Get the H&H and go to Africa. Just go while you can. smile
Why .375 over .338?

Don't have either the H&H or Ruger, but favor the Ruger. Because I handload I'm not concerned about factory ammo. For a non-handloader the H&H makes more sense if your you aren't happy with the ***very*** limited varieties of .375 Ruger ammo (Hornady and Swift and the Swift prices are astronomically high.). Even as a handloader, I'd buy a lifetime supply of brass.

.375 over .338? There isn't anything in NA I wouldn't hunt with my .338WM. For DG, though, including big bears, I don't see heavier, fatter bullets as a negative.

I'd happily take any of the Ruger rifles.

I have a Bushmaster Predator 8" I like alot, seems to do it all the bullet weights just fine! I like the extra speed of the 375 Ruger "based on just one guys experience"...Hal Waugh. He loved the 375 "Weatherby" ( am Improved 375 H&H) and the 270gr bullet for big bear. I once had one made up, and it was one flat shooting big gun! ha The 375 Ruger is its equal, more or less. But, the only "big bears" I've seen are in zoos, and they "still" give me the heebie jeebies! ha
I've never entirely warmed up to the Ruger American. But I'm considering selling my old slower twist 223 and getting a Predator in 223 because of the 8-twist, and AR style mag. I heard of issues with the rotary mag in 223. And the main reason, is I believe with the barrel nut you can set the barrel back enough to AI it without cutting a thread off...maybe. Then add a Boyd's stock for a reasonable long range toy that shouldn't be too heavy to hunt.
I don't know jack about the AR style mags that they come with. But I believe I read that Magpul makes an AI mag that will fit and let you seat the heavies out long?

Mainly to get into the long range dopin and dialin with relatively cheap ammo that's also not expensive to reload. But also to hunt with.

But this is just something that struck me all the sudden. So I'd have to do some calculatin and ponderin to see if it'd really be worth my while. Or if I'd be happy with it in the long run, because it'd likely never be worth the money put into it.
Seems like a reasonable compromise of light heavy barrel and portability though. And ring options would be more than with a Tikka, although I don't know if their rep for accuracy is equal at this point.

There’s been quite a lot of chatter in these parts about $300 rifles and $300 scopes doing lots things they “shouldn’t”.

RAR’s (Rough Ass Rifles) kinda grow on ya.
Originally Posted by 16bore

There’s been quite a lot of chatter in these parts about $300 rifles and $300 scopes doing lots things they “shouldn’t”.

RAR’s (Rough Ass Rifles) kinda grow on ya.

Yeah, I don't know. I watched a video after I posted that and the action sure sounded rough. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. I like the midweight barrel and the 8 twist. But if I look at one and the action sounded like that, I don't know if I could do it.
It adds insult to injury for the naysayers.
Posted By: 907brass Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/24/20
Okay, a new development. For a long action, coastal brown bear option:

I have the option to get a Win 70 in .300WM from a family member. I don't have a need for a .300WM, but I would get it effectively in a trade for something else and I was thinking I could rebarrel to .375 Ruger.

Or would just getting a .375 h&h factory rifle be a better way to go?

I will end up reloading whatever I end up with either way.
Posted By: Teal Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/24/20
Locally here, I was in a mom-n-pop gun store. Town population less that 500 - UP of Michigan, 375 Ruger on the shelf along with 6.5 Swede and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Its probably localized as far as ammo availability vs the H&H.

Nothing between 35 Whelen and 375 interests me in the least, so I wont be recommending a 338.

I say go 375 and call it.

I have the option to get a Win 70 in .300WM from a family member. I don't have a need for a .300WM, but I would get it effectively in a trade for something else and I was thinking I could rebarrel to .375 Ruger.

Lots of folks really seem to like the 9.3x62. Apparently i's like the Lazy-Boy of mid-size magnums.
Originally Posted by 16bore
It adds insult to injury for the naysayers.

That's almost reason enough.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/25/20
You need a 375 H&H for sure and a lever action 30-30. Get the 300 Winny from your family member and trip the 300 WSM.
25 calibre -- Roberts, 250AI, 25-06
Posted By: beretzs Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/26/20

Lots of folks really seem to like the 9.3x62. Apparently i's like the Lazy-Boy of mid-size magnums.

It’s almost too easy to do. I had one of the 450 dollar Ruger 280’s that I wasn’t really using and decided to let JES have a go at it. For the cost of the rebore, a set of dies and a box of Lapua brass I’m still right at what a Krieger would’ve cost me. Looking forward to monkeying with it a little.
.276 Jeffery
Posted By: Hastings Re: What caliber to add next? - 04/27/20
I haven't read these 5 pages but considering what you have I believe I would get a .223 bolt rifle and call it enough. Considering that you are in Alaska I guess a .375 might be in order. I've been to Alaska but never hunted there. You have some mighty nice size moose and bear. If it were me I would buy stainless and synthetic considering the climate.

My AR is 1-8, my Ruger MKII is 1-10 or 1-12. (Not sure which and don't really care.)

My AR shoots everything. My Ruger shoots 40g ***REALLY*** well and that is more than good enough for me.
.275 h&h magnum 😝
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I'm with the rest of the folks about the bolt action 223. I've got 3 and I couldn't imagine being without one.

As for the long action, Alaska seems like the perfect excuse for a 375 H&H. I agree with JMR40 that the 375 is the next logical step up from a 30-06 or 300WSM. 30 cal for things that won't eat you, 375 for things that will.

I agree, .223 and .375 at this point!

However, a .243 could be another addition as well to fill that middle gap I'm seeing between the .223Rem and 6.5CM.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: What caliber to add next? - 05/05/20
Looks like a 243Win and 45-70 would be nice adds....
Posted By: Filaman Re: What caliber to add next? - 05/05/20

Thanks!

Sounds like you need a .270 Winchester and a 7x57. They overlap quite a bit but the .270 will do things beyond a 7x57 but a 7x57 does things smoother than any other rifle, so you need them both.
Posted By: Filaman Re: What caliber to add next? - 05/05/20
Originally Posted by hanco
Get a fast twist 22-250 and a 338 Win mag.

A 223 AR and a 300 Weatherby wouldn’t be a bad idea or all four!

I have a .300 WBY and it really covers about all the spectrum of .30 caliber. Just down load it to .30-06 power level and it's a lamb. Load it up to full power with 180-200 grain bullets and it will kill anything in North America and most all of Africa. Load it with 220 grains and it will kill anything anywhere.
You have things covered very well. I would add. Fast 22 cal on the small end for varmints or even pronghorn or deer. And you also need a fast 33 on the top end. 338 RUM, 340 weatherby or Lapua. The fast 33s are great for elk, moose, bear and pretty much everything else short of african dangerous game.
Posted By: 907brass Re: What caliber to add next? - 02/09/22
Digging up an old thread but I realized I never updated y'all:

I am the proud owner of a kimber talkeetna in .375 h&h. That was the very next thing I added. It might someday replace my need for the .300wsm, but for now I am enjoying both.

Then I build a 6.5 Grendel gas gun, just because adult legos are fun and I already had a couple 5.56 uppers.
I added a bolt .22lr so I can precision plink within 50yds and quiet things down for grouse hunting.

Then I came across a new haven stainless model 70 in .243 through a family connection and it was too good of a deal to pass up. This one I am thinking of rebarreling or reboring, simply because in the past couple years I have had no need for .243 up in AK, and it would be nice to use this rifle more.

Oh, and a .44mag revolver.
© 24hourcampfire