Home
I am going to purchase a single shot rifle, Ruger 1, Dakota model 10 or similar and I am looking for opinions, as we all know, everyone has one.

What would be an ideal all around cartridge for whitetail, mule deer, black bear, maybe an Elk if the opportunity comes, but not necessarily. Also what about barrel length? I am going to have a custom barrel made.

Keep in mind I don't really want any cambering over a 30-06 as this rife will weight about 7 lbs all up when I'm finished, and as i get older I just don't care to get beat up as much at the bench, even though you don't feel it when you pull the trigger on an animal (at least I don't). I do quite a bit of shooting out to 400 yds or so.

I have bolt action/lever action in- .223, 260 Rem, 6.5 CM, 6.5x55 swede, 284 Win, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 280 AI, 308 win, 35 Whelen, and 45/70. - Yes, I hand load also.

GO…...
For me, and it covers your needs quite well also, it's a Browning 1885 in 7 Rem Mag.
Well I run a few Ruger #1s in various calibers and I like he "S" model the best as far as looks go. However even the "A" model is a tad heavy. My favorite in the "A" is in 7x57. My "S" is a .300 Win' Mag. The actions on the #1 are rather heavy. My Browning B70 is in 30-06 and it too is heavier than I now care for.

The two cartridges I have interest in these days are the 7x57 and .280 Remington. I can easily get 7-08 velocity from my Winchester M70 Featherweight and even slightly surpass them with some loads. My .280 is a tad on the heavy side but is very accurate.

Probably if money were no object, I'd look at a Dakota in say 7x57 or maybe .the .280 and not look back. Then there are the European single shots but like the Dakota way to pricey for my pocket book. I can still dream though. Good luck on finding exactly what you want.
Paul B.
You can get a Merkel K3 in 7-08, complete with Swarovski scope and mounts for about $4500, list price. That would do it all in the lower 48, and is light, accurate, and classy. Not a bad way to go if you get tired of futzing around with this and that and just want to go hunting. Not quite there yet myself, but it could happen.
30-06 gets my vote
No sure what your budget is, but someone here had a beautiful single shot in 7mm-08 for sale not that long ago that I don’t believe sold. I believe it was a Dakota Model 10, but for the life of me can’t remember who the seller was.
I would go with a .270, .280, or .30 06 on a platform like that.

Jack
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I would go with a .270, .280, or .30 06 on a platform like that.

Jack

I can't comment on the Dakota Model 10, as I've never availed myself of the opportunity to purchase one.

However...........

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Top: Merkel K1, half stock, 9.3 x 74 R

Bottom Merkel K1, Jagd Stutzen, 7mm-08

The Merkel K1/K3 half stocks and the Jagd Stutzens will be your lightest rifles

Merkel K3 Extrem in 270 Win, 20" BBL, 6 lb's +

I generally prefer the K1's as they feature the Recknagel twist mounts (purely personal preference).

The K3's have the Blaser style saddle mount.

Each can be broken down, removed and re-attached, maintaining zero.

Luxus M11, LT. 280 Rem.

Blaser K95's,

30-06 Springfield, top

270 Win., bottom,

under 7 lbs. with scope

Your Browning High Wall (this one is 45-70)

or B 78 (300 H&H)

will be +/- 9lbs.

The Merkel's have a pull weight selectable trigger that has 3 settings.

It is located on the left side at the rear of the trigger guard.

The Blaser triggers are super sweet but not selectable on the fly. The Highwall and B-78 triggers will be the heaviest, but could be sent to Lee Shaver for adjusment/fine tuning.

I used to say my Merkels wanted to be Blasers when they grew up, but the little K3 Extrem is right up there with my K-95 in 30-06 Springfield.

The Merkels and Blasers are a joy to carry in the field and balance perfectly. Both lock up like a vault. Catch the fatty part of your skin between your thumb and index finger when you close the action, and you'll see what I mean.

ya!

GWB

There are some Ruger #1's that came in 9.3x74R lots of power for anything and rimmed cartridges and single shots are made for each other.
7x57...duh...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by hotsoup
30-06 gets my vote

That's never a bad choice.

Originally Posted by ingwe
7x57...duh...

But this gets my vote.

In a Dakota 10.
7x57...duh...

Double "duh".

3006 or as it is some times called 300 whelen
.338 WM! Never mind......I only read as far as “Best all Around”! ;)memtb
Since you mentioned a .30-06 and a .35 Whelen, either would be good, how about splitting the difference!?! I'm suggesting a .338-06! smile
I think it's a great opportunity to go rimmed.
Originally Posted by moosemike

I couldn't agree more! How about a 7x57R, 348 Win, or a 30-40 Krag?

Thanks, Dinny
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...odel-10-7mm-08.cfm?gun_id=101293153#lg-8

a sweet one!

ya!

GWB
I like my No.1B in .280 Rem
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I like my No.1B in .280 Rem

I carried a 1B in 300 Wby, loved it. If I had to do it over, I’d go .280.

P
A friend took me to a very small gun shop when I was shopping for my first big game rifle as an adult. He was friends w/ the owner and the shop was more of a boutique/ hobby than a business. I had $700 and walked out w/ a Winchester Classic Featherweight in .270 and a Leupold 2x7. Before I purchased, the shop owner offered me a Dakota model 10 in 7x57 for $1400...which I didn't have and couldn't get. It was stunning. Thought about it for years.
My pick would be the Dakota.
This is my Luxus Arms Model 11 FQ in 7-08 that is listed on Gunsinternational.com. It's new and unfired and needs a good home.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...del-11-fq-in-7mm-08.cfm?gun_id=101386551
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
This is my Luxus Arms Model 11 FQ in 7-08 that is listed on Gunsinternational.com. It's new and unfired and needs a good home.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...del-11-fq-in-7mm-08.cfm?gun_id=101386551

Top of the line!

That's a sweet one!

ya!

GWB
I’m halfway/not really seriously looking for an 1885 in a big game caliber. Really like my .22 Hornet but kind of limited in what I can use it on. If the right wood in the right price came along in .270/7x57/280/.30-06, my wife would be mad.
I have two Ruger #1 Tropical Rifles in 6.5x55 Swede and 280 Remington that are both good single-shot hunting rifle choices any day of the week.
The special run 280AI Rugers that classic sporting arms carries has all the features I would get on a custom. Slimmer stock & 25" barrel.

Always wanted a Dakota though, they are nice and light weight. I would also think about a 6.5x65 or a 7x64.
From the OP,

"Keep in mind I don't really want any cambering over a 30-06 as this rife will weight about 7 lbs all up when I'm finished"

IIRC Ruger #1's start at 6.8 lbs., sans rings and scope.

ya!

GWB
You asked about caliber in a lightweight all-around rifle and my two votes are .270 Win or 7x57r. It really depends - if you are planning international hunting I’d stick with the 270 for more common ammo availability. For domestic hunting, either works.

I went the Merkel K1 / K3 route for myself / my wife - they are our Africa rifles. My K1 is in 7mm Rem Mag with a VX3 2.5-8...and the K3 is 7x57r with a VX6 1-6x. Both are 6#, 5oz scoped and are an incredible joy to carry. That 7 Mag is definitely sharp on the recoil, driving a 150gr. E-Tip at 3,000 fps in a 24” barrel...while the K3 drives that same 150 E-Tip at 2,550 fps with it’s 20” barrel.

And they are both lookers. That K3 in the safe is without a doubt the best looking rifle in the safe!

So that’s my vote.

Top, K3, 308 Win.

Bottom: K1, 7mm-08

and the reverse on the flip side!

ya!

GWB
7x57...duh...

Perfect choice...more is too big less would be too small
My 1885 low wall is a .260.
You can cover all those bases very easily with one, including elk.....mine has killed two so far.

I think a 6.5cm would be the best of breed for your needs, as you described them.
7-08 would be my next choice, but recoil will increase and it won’t kill any deader....
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
You can cover all those bases very easily with one, including elk.....mine has killed two so far.

I think a 6.5cm would be the best of breed for your needs, as you described them.
7-08 would be my next choice, but recoil will increase and it won’t kill any deader....

Those low-walls in 260 Rem are scarce as hen's teeth, and go for a pretty penny.

IIRC, Winchester is chambering the 1885 in the 6.5 Creedmoor, but they are hard to sneak up on!

ya!

GWB
One of those Renner modified #1s in 7x57R would be cool.

http://www.rjrenner.com/ruger-no.1.html

Rimmed is nicer to handle in any single shot. If you go break open instead of falling block you might as well acknowledge you're going to get another barrel at some point. In fact same applies with falling block (just more $). If you acknowledge this early it saves you dancing around a do it all when the gunnutitis strikes.

My K95 has 6.5x57R and 5.6x50R barrels. I hate recoil and these have worked well for me.
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by moosemike

I couldn't agree more! How about a 7x57R, 348 Win, or a 30-40 Krag?

Thanks, Dinny

I was thinking 30-40 but .303 sounds cool too.
Ruger number 3 in 30-40 Krag.
The Merkel Stutzen in 7 X 65R Brenneke, if it's available.
7x57...duh...

That's the ticket!
Originally Posted by winchester70
For me, and it covers your needs quite well also, it's a Browning 1885 in 7 Rem Mag.

I agree!

[Linked Image]
7x57...triple duh... grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have a No.1 in 22-250 I really like it even though it is picky with what I feed it. I’ve always kinda wanted one in 7x57 but I’m also a sucker for anything 7mm. A 257 Roberts would be cool too.
I wonder if merely machining a rim cutout wouldn’t make several of them ‘dual chambered’? 7x57/R, 307/308, 356/358, etc....I had an encore 356/358, that shot both very well. Could up your campfire cool factor w/o limiting your options as much.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Those low-walls in 260 Rem are scarce as hen's teeth, and go for a pretty penny.

IIRC, Winchester is chambering the 1885 in the 6.5 Creedmoor, but they are hard to sneak up on!

ya!

GWB

Low wall in 260 was my first thought as well.
Seems to be a lot of single shot knowledge on this post so I'd like to ask a question. What do you think a Browning Low Wall in 260 in 90 +% would bring?

I cast another vote for a Dakota Model 10.

Do you dream of a rifle with or without a recoil pad?

Without pad: 6.5 Swede or Creedmoor, 23" barrel

With pad: 7/08 or .308, 20" barrel
Originally Posted by MadMooner

ya!

GWB

Low wall in 260 was my first thought as well.

I'd love another 1885. This time I want the low wall in 6.5 Swede. THOSE are hard to find.
The Swde would be sweet in a low wall.

Really anything from 6.5 to .30 cal with a case capacity in that ball park. Even a 30/40 would be sweet. Could push 130TTSX to at least 308Win velocity or a big ol slow 220 RN.
7x57...duh...

Nothing more need be said.
Paul B.
If I was having a custom single shot rifle made, such as a modified Ruger No1, a Dakota Model 10, or even a Winchester/Browning Hiwall,
I'd have it chambered in 7-30 Waters or 307 Winchester.
Something about a rimmed cartridge in a single shot rifle.
The way I figure it, it wouldn't be my primary gun, but a gun to use on certain occasions.
I 'd spend extra cash on the wood, and it'd make me smile every time I took it out.
Dropped in to see y'alls Encores...
Anyone for a Martini??

30 WCF

ya!

GWB
Anyone for a Martini??

30 WCF

ya!

GWB

No! I’m a beer man myself!!!
Who on here built the custom 1885 Low Wall in .257 Roberts a few years ago? 😍😍😍
1885 in 30-06
6.5 Swede for the win! RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
At this point, I think I have it narrowed down to 280 Rem or 280 AI. If I go the Ruger #1 route it will definitely have to be a custom because they weigh more than I want, the Dakota in 280 is beautiful but I'm not sure I want to spend 6K to get what I want. If I can find a reasonable priced one in another caliber, I would have it re-barreled.

You guys have some beautiful rifles. thank you for sharing.
Originally Posted by lhead71
At this point, I think I have it narrowed down to 280 Rem or 280 AI. If I go the Ruger #1 route it will definitely have to be a custom because they weigh more than I want, the Dakota in 280 is beautiful but I'm not sure I want to spend 6K to get what I want. If I can find a reasonable priced one in another caliber, I would have it re-barreled.

Had a really nice #1 tack driver in .280 Rem. Great rifle but, for me, too nice to take elk hunting. Used it in nice weather for antelope but sold it and bought a Ruger All Weather Hawkeye in .280 Rem instead.

A .270 Win/150g/2910fps or .280 Rem/155g/2870fps high bullet will give you a good 600-700 yard elk rifle at 7000 feet altitude, with only about 18 ft-lbs recoil. Daughter #1 will be using the former with a Nosler 150g ABLR for elk this fall, I'm working up the latter with Federal 155g Terminal Ascent. Both deliver about 2100fps and 1500fpe at 700 yards. With a 26" barrel on a #1 you should be able to hit 3000fps M.V. with either without any problems.
Originally Posted by BayouRover
I have two Ruger #1 Tropical Rifles in 6.5x55 Swede and 280 Remington that are both good single-shot hunting rifle choices any day of the week.

These would be my choices...
How about a #1 in 275 Rigby? If you want even less recoil a 257 Roberts could be a winner.
If you’re looking at Dakota 10 or Merkel you should seek out Luxus 11 ($4.5K-$7K) and Martini-Hagn (Fine Canadian Gunmaker $5K-$9K). They’re all Farquharson based actions (except Merkels) same as Ruger No 1 with exceptional workmanship and artisan quality second to none. Chamber wise you can’t go wrong with a 270 Win or 308 Win. Ammo found anywhere on the globe and will do anything a 7x57 or 280 Rem will do.

BTW GW you have some mighty fine equipment. How does the Luxus shoot?
I've always wanted a Dakota #10. If I got one it would be a 7x57 or a 6.5 x 55.

The big problem with weight in a #1 is a goodly chunk of that weight is in the action. Probably the lightest #1 I have is the #1A in 7x57 and it's close to 9 pounds with scope and sling and a butt cuff with ammo.

My Browning B78 weighs even more that the #1 B or s models I have in 30-06 and .300 Win. Mag. I'm guessing at least 10 pounds with scope and sling. I basically use that one as a cast bullet shooter at the range.

Still lookin' for that Dakota 7x57 a a price I can afford. I know, dream on.
Paul B.
7x57 is a no brainer
OK, another question.

Why 7x57 instead of 280 Rem? I’m not for or against either as I own a plethora of 7mm based cartridges.
OK, another question.

Why 7x57 instead of 280 Rem? I’m not for or against either as I own a plethora of 7mm based cartridges.

Cause it's almost a cool as a 275 Rigby

even if its' not a single shot!

ya!

GWB
300 H&H
OK, another question.

classic, stylish and cool factor
I had a Ruger #1 Tropical in 405 Winchester topped with a Leupold VX-II 2-7X33. It was a real peach, and it shot three shot clusters at 100 yards with 300 grain Barnes TSX clocking 2450 fps. I think it weighed about 9 and a half pounds which helped with the recoil a bit.

I gave it to my son-in-law cause he really liked it. I like the #1 action.

All my rifles are single shots when I'm hunting. grin Make the first one count. wink
I am going to purchase a single shot rifle, Ruger 1, Dakota model 10 or similar and I am looking for opinions, as we all know, everyone has one.

What would be an ideal all around cartridge for whitetail, mule deer, black bear, maybe an Elk if the opportunity comes, but not necessarily. Also what about barrel length? I am going to have a custom barrel made.

Yes, I hand load also. GO…...

Ruger No.1 257 Roberts.

Hagn action
Ctg 270
7-30 waters
Originally Posted by bucktail
7-30 waters

If you insist!

7-30 Waters,
Single Shot
Under 7 lbs!

ya!

GWB
Very cool!!
A 6.5x57R Ruger #1 was my answer to this question.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/103281.jpg

Next up would be the 7x57 previously mentioned. I also have that one in the Leopard and can verify it is a top choice. Although I do like the rimed cartridges in the #1.
Find a #1A in a classic chambering, 7x57 is my choice, tune it up: trigger job, ream the rings, relieve the rib, add some light bedding, and fit it to yourself - then be happy.
I have a Ruger No. 1S in 30-06. I like it a lot.
6.5x57R and 26" barrel. Fast as a 25-06 with 100gr (I have personal experience of this) hard hitting with 140gr premium. Rim makes it nice handling and RWS brass is high quality and built like a tank. While rare in the US its ubiquitous in Europe.
Krieghoff Hubertus
7x65R

[Linked Image from unicorn-arms.ch]
270, 280 or 30-06
I’ve been a SS rifle slut for years. Only have a few left, and most will be sold. First up is a Dakota model 10 chambered in “The Bob”. It’s a lightweight dream to carry about, and everybody knows how sweet the .257 Roberts is.
I kinda am partial to my 50x100
OK, another question.

Well I have both although the .280 is based on a 1909 Argentine. My #1A in 7x7 would be my choice. Why? Maybe it's part of putting the hun back into hunting and doing it with a cartridge that's 128 years old that still works today. Maybe, in my old age getting the snot kicked out of me is no longer fun. Maybe it's more actually getting out to go rather than just shooting game. Besides, I just flat out like that old 7x57. It's like me in a way. Both of us still work in our old age.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by winchester70

I have the same rifle and it's AWESOME. I'd like to get another single shot and I always lean toward the Dakota Model 10. I'm thinking 7/08 would be a great cartridge in that rifle.
Ruger #1 in 7X57 with a mannlicher stock is the best in my opinion. I have more hunting rifles of all types than socks in my drawer but I always take the Ruger out on a few hunts every year. I like the 175 grain S&B factory loads for it now it puts them in one hole at 100 yards. I hand load a lot of calibers but why mess with what works. The ammo is cheap and effective. You can cleanly take all game in the lower 48 and it would work fine on inland Grizzlies i am sure but why risk it. I like the 7X57 because it is not fast or flashy and you can load down to 140 grains and everything in between if you like but it is effective. A single shot makes you take your time and make an effective first shot like a muzzleloader does. The thump of that 175 grain load on a big whitetail or black bear is money.
I have a Browning 1885 in 7mmRM and a Ruger #1 in 7mmRM.

The Ruger cocks itself, so I can fire it faster.
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
300 H&H

I had A LOT of #1's at some point. I now only own a Ruger #1S in 300 H&H
My Ruger 1 started out as a 1A 30-06. It now wears a 23” Douglas barrel in 257 Roberts caliber with ebony tip, Skeleton grip cap, enhanced checkering and gorgeous factory wood. Leopold matte finish low rings grip a matte 2x7 Leupold scope
It groups well under an inch with a preference for 117-120 grain bullets at about 2925fps.
Pronghorn, Coues Whitetail, Javelina, Coyotes dislike it. I love it!
© 24hourcampfire