Home
I've never owned a 300 WSM in a lightweight rifle. I am not bothered by recoil, but am also not a sucker for punishment, ha. I have a 270/129 LRX on the light end (an 84L Classic) and a 300WM Bergara Hunter on the heavy end. I have a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM/175 LRX on the way. I kind of envisioned this 300WSM as more of an all arounder. By that I mean set up for deer and elk, from near to 400. For a deer hunt, I'd take the 270/300WSM, for a elk hunt I'd take the 300WSM/300 Win Mag. I also would use the Bergara for nasty weather. In the 300WSM I am considering starting out with the 150 TTSX but, since its a magnum, maybe I'd be better off with the 175LRX in it also? Anyone found one bullet weight (monos) "easier shooting" than another or is it moot? I'd like to hear from you guys? I have some 200 Nosler PTs for the Bergara also, but are they "too much of a good thing" in an 8400?
My 300 H&H weighs just a little under 8 lbs, I shoot 180 TTSX's and for me that's about the most recoil I can still find some joy in. Your 300 wsm should be about the same, but with the lighter barrel contour will have more"muzzle flip".
I suspect if you dropped down to say, 150 TTSX's it would be easier on the shoulder while still killing stuff dead enough.
Thanks pard! Good observation, I too always considered the 300WM to be very close/if not the same as a 300 H&H.
I have a Kimber Montana in 300WSM. I, too, am not recoil sensitive. Plus, I think the very nice Montana stock helps to mitigates the recoil. But, I do have a limit of about 40 rounds off the bench with this setup. I've never noticed the recoil when hunting, and I sure do like carrying such a light rifle in the elk mountains.

I usually shoot 180gn bullets, but recently have started experimenting with 150gn mono bullets. The 150gn bullet gets a little more speed, a flatter trajectory, and with the mono metal bullet structural integrity, can reliably take anything in North America (although I would want a little extra insurance for the big bears).

150gn at 3350fps lacks for nothing. This would be for western hunting. Probably too much cartridge for shooting whitetails in the usually closer quarters of eastern forests.

JMHO

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
I had the Tikka in 300 WSM for awhile. It was tolerable, I suppose, but not enjoyable to shoot with 180s. If I were an elk hunter maybe I would justify the thump on the back end but since deer or bear are about it, pass the 308, 280 or 6.5.
I would try the 165 or 168 TSX or TTSX also. They work well in everything from 308 to 300 WM and are also a good single deer elk load. I like some weight to a 300 magnum and 7.5-8lbs is at the low end for me. May not be a factor for you but I would not hesitate to put a heavier scope on the Kimber to bring the weight up some.
I have a 300wsm built on a mauser action with a light barrel and fairly light, straight stock.
It really likes 180 nosler solid base bullets, but it kicks pretty hard. Last year when first
shooting a 257 Bob and the 300 at same time, I decided I did not need the abuse and shot
up all I had loaded for the 300, cleaned it up a put it away for awhile.
I have since secured some 165 ABs from Muledeer that I will give a try out some time this summer.
I have a Ruger MKII with a 22" #2 in a 20 oz MPI stock, 6x36 leupold. I don't have a weight but its a trim rifle ( at least by Ruger standards). I shoot 168TTSXs and it lively, but not really punishing. Site in and small practice sessions like 20 rounds are not big deal, but It wouldn't really be fun to do an extended session from the prone.
My m700 SPS has the soft Rem. pad that seems like a LimbSaver. It is probably for all practical purposes nearly as lite as a Kimber and I find the recoil about equal steps between some M70 sporters in 7Rem. mag and 300 WM.

You'll probably find the WSM to be an accurate round.
Happy Hunting
I have a 300H&H in a Brown stock. Weighs only 7.75lbs scoped and is easy to shoot 180gr full loads from recoil wise.

I give credit to the stock shape for this more than anything. Weight and loads are only two pcs of this puzzle.
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .300WSM, not fun to shoot. I put a new Limbsaver recoil pad on it and that tamed it a little, but after 20 rounds I’m done for the day. I am not recoil sensitive and heck, I actually like shooting my .338 WM. I also have a Remington 700 BDL/SPS in .300WSM, not nearly as bad to shoot as the Tikka.

Originally Posted by Hudge
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .300WSM, not fun to shoot.

Ditto on a Kimber Montana - no fun developing loads. Great mountain rifle and enuff power to feel good in brown/grizz country.
I've owned several 300 WM rifles, several 30-06's and one 300 WSM. My WSM was a Winchester SS Classic that I had in a McMillan Edge stock. With a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 scope on it in Talley LIghtweight mounts it weighed exactly 7 1/2 lbs. The same as a my 30-06 set up in a similar way. Recoil was only slightly more than my 30-06 of the same weight, but a lightweight 30-06 can be sporty.

A 300 WSM comes within 50-75 fps of what you can do with a 300 WM, and will beat 30-06 by about 200 fps with 180's. But since it uses quite a bit less powder than 300 WM recoil in same weight rifles is noticeably less. Doing the math with my loads through a recoil calculator my 30-06/180@ 2800 fps hit me with about 22 ft lbs recoil. My 300WSM/180@ 3050 hit me with about 28 ft lbs recoil and a 300 WM/180@ 3100 fps was 33 ft lbs recoil. 300 WSM is right down the middle in recoil, 6 ft lbs more than 30-06, but 5 less than 300 WM. To me, I scarcely noticed the 6 ft lb difference between 30-06 and 300 WSM. I did notice the 11 ft lbs between 30-06 and 300 WM.

I found was that a 300 WSM in a 7 1/2 lb rifle recoiled exactly the same as a 300 WM in an 8 1/2 lb rifle or a 30-06 from a 7 lb rifle. I like the 300 WSM. If I'm looking at the same recoil as 300 WM anyway, but can carry a 1 lb lighter rifle while only giving up 50 fps I'd make that trade every time.
First off, I guess am not recoil sensitive but I really did not realize it till I got on this site and read all the pink panty crowd posts about the intolerable recoil of such "hard" kicking cartridges as .270 Win, 30-06 and .300 Win in light weight bolt action rifles 😂.....Now to answer the OP's question. I have had several Kimber Montana/Subalpine 8400's chambered in the excellent .300 WSM cartridge, I have experienced minimal recoil in any of the bullet weights I have tried from 130gr - 180gr ...I too am a big fan of Barnes TTSX bullets so My preferred load is a 150 gr TTSX over 64.0 grains of H4350 with a CCI Magnum primer......Good luck....Hb
So when I wanted a dedicated elk rifle I bought a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. Between my son in law and myself we have taken 18 elk. 1 with 180 Accubonds and 17 with factory 165 BarnesTSX. Recoil is not bad off the bench and in the field you never feel it. I don't think you need 175 or 180 Barnes. The 165 TSX give me quarter size groups @100. I would have no problem using the 150's or even 130's on elk if I hand loaded.

My son in law had now taken possession of that rifle leaving me to hunt elk with a ULA 300 Win Mag shooting 165 TTSX's. That rifle does kick a little off the bench.
Why not an 84M in 280ai?
I too have several mountain weight rifles in the superb 300wsm. Not range rifles and more than 25-30 rounds isn't fun. But at this point, they are dialed in and range time is just for making sure.

Mine like either 180 gr AB or 190 gr LRAB. My latest and greatest likes the factory eldx 200 gr.
Originally Posted by KH1473
Why not an 84M in 280ai?

I have a sweet little 84L in .270, nice wood. I've used 7mms of all kinds for decades. I've used many 338 to 375 Mags through the years, on elk size game, I like the flat shooting hard hitters. On deer, I find the 270 with a 24 inch barrel runs about as flat shooting as any 280/7mm Rem Mag, especially since I don't shoot past 400yds on unwounded game. I was "considering" an 84m in 30-06 when I found this 84L/270. I do not have any big bull hunts or Africa plans again, so the 338 WM felt like "an embarrassment of riches", especially for a cow elk. Cows and big pigs are about the biggest game I'll hunt again. But a flat shooting 30 cal Magnum isn't unreasonable to use for mule deer/antelope/coyotes way out there. And if at 67, these mountains aren't getting any easier to hunt in, ha. Plus, I tend to "bust my azz" at least once in snow or wet mountains, and a spare rifle can save a hunt.
My 300 WSM weighs 7 lbs all up. I run my 165’s at 3050 fps, not a problem.
300 WSM number two weighs 8 lbs and runs 155 Scenar's at 3285 fps, not a problem.
Originally Posted by handwerk
My 300 H&H weighs just a little under 8 lbs, I shoot 180 TTSX's and for me that's about the most recoil I can still find some joy in. Your 300 wsm should be about the same, but with the lighter barrel contour will have more"muzzle flip".
I suspect if you dropped down to say, 150 TTSX's it would be easier on the shoulder while still killing stuff dead enough.

This
My Montana sees only 155 scenar at 3250 FPS and isn’t bad at all pdf the bench. I chose the 155’s as they shoot very very well. It does pretty good with most 180’s as well but I have bigger calibers when I want them so keep the 155’s for my 300 wsm
I'd rather shoot an 8.5-9 lb 375 H&H than a lightweight 300 mag/WSM. Problem is Id rather carry the 300.

I solved this conundrum by shooting and carrying a lightweight 270 zinging 150 partitions.
Thanks guys, all great observations. Anyone try R17 in your 300WSM? I shot it in my 300WM (before the present Bergara) with the 150TTSX but it was around 45 deg constant. I didn't get to try it around 80-85. I played with R26 in a previous 22" .270/160PT and it was a i inch shooter until it hit 80 deg. It then went wonky on me. Out here, late Sept and early October can be very cold at night and pretty hot by noon.
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Thanks guys, all great observations. Anyone try R17 in your 300WSM?

64.5 gr's RL17 under a 180 Partition for 3,030 fps was my go-to 300 WSM load (another is 64.0 H4350 for 2,980).

As to lightweight 300 WSM's, I had several Kimber MT's. All-up with a 3-9 Leupold, Talley Lwt's, Unlce Mikes Mtn Sling and a full magazine, weight was 7lbs 4oz's. The Kimber 8400 Stock is the best I've ever used for recoil, but I found the no.1 barrel too light. If the Kimber had a no.2 contour it would be my ideal 300 WSM.

But I have no need for magnums on elk anymore and have gravitated to milder recoiling rifles. More fun to shoot, can be built lighter, and dead is dead.
Thanks Brad- It appears that the "mid 60's gr" loads of, what I call, "4350 burn rate" seem to do very well in the 300WSM. I finally got to shoot my 84L Classic .270/129 loads yesterday. Its right at 7 lbs scoped, and very easy to shoot. I had this particular rifles barreld action cryogenically treated, before I even shot it, ha. I had to wait anyhow for the Commie covid 19 "let's quarantine the healthy folks" for the range to open back up, ha. I was using R16, which is supposed to be temp stable.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My 300 WSM weighs 7 lbs all up. I run my 165’s at 3050 fps, not a problem.
300 WSM number two weighs 8 lbs and runs 155 Scenar's at 3285 fps, not a problem.

I had a 300SAUM that went about 7.5lbs and I shot 165's around 3,000fps or 150's at 3,150fps. It was a little brisk and not what I'd call fun for target shooting, but wasn't harsh. My hunting conditions don't necessitate a lightweight magnum rifle, so my more powerful rifles these days are generally a fair bit heavier.
I was all set with the Kimber 84L Classic .270 and a Bergara Hunter 300WM "until I saw this Kimber 8400 Classic "stainless steel" for sale! ha Well, I talked myself into "what a nice heirloom for my grandchild" kind of, ha. I was offered $200 more for it from another guy than I paid for it "before it shipped"! If it doesn't shoot the way I want, I'll just have it rebarreled into a 6.5 PRC or 300PRC, etc, etc. smile

I can't get the pics downsized just yet, don't know why. Go to Long Range Hunting Online to "Guns For Sale" and one can see the pics posted there. Beautiful I tell you, ha!
My 300 Win Mag weighs 7 pounds all up.

It has a brake on it

I have the same rifle in 257 Roy so I knew the 300 would thump me really hard.

I’m not recoil shy/sensitive but a 7 pound 300 WM is something I wasn’t to keen on testing my shoulder on. Although I may try it for comparison.

Most of my rifles weigh 6-7 pounds all up
My recommendation put 220 GR Bullets in it, and bite down hard when you shoot. smile
I actually have some 240gr Woodleighs on hand! ha But I don't want to crack the gristle around the plate/4 screws I have in my neck! ha
I have owned both a Tikka Light and Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I was 64 years old and a small man at 5'7' when I bought the Tikka. Shot hundreds of rounds through it and then traded for the Kimber Montana just because annd shot hundreds more. These were my Newfoundland Moose hunters. I shot a wide variety of brands and weights. Both rifles shot most everything well. Under 2"at 200 yards. I settled on the 180 TSX which shot diagonally through a moose. In the back left ham, broke bone, exited about middle right shoulder. I had a 3 leg homemade portable bench I shot off. Both rifles had a Limb Saver pad. I hot rodded them to the max and loved shooting them. Bullet weight made a difference in noted recoil.

Tested about every powder available in the RL 17 burn rate. In these 2 rifles Hodgdon 4350 was the ticket. In BOTH. It did the best for me any temperature and about any weight of any bullet. Shot it in 90+ degree and -0 degree days. Point of impact varied little at 200 yards. With that powder I had the best velocity consistency and accuracy. I settled on the 180 TSX for the moose. Shot 2 whitetail with that load. DEADLY!

What would I do differently?
150TTSX! Faster, flatter, flies through Moose with aplomb. These 81 year old shoulders may also appreciate that decision. Given the opportunity I'd hunt any North American species with it.

Light weight 300 WSM, Hodgdon 4350, Winchester mag primers, 150 TTSX, mmm, mmm, good!
Well thanks Uncle Rug! ha I'm 67 young myself, and I too find that I like them running fast. I have several powders but plenty of H4350 and several others. The new R16 promises a whole lot too. I'm definitely going to start out trying the 150 TTSX. I am not a Long Range Hunter, and I prefer to just point and shoot. I have always tended to want to "hold up a bit" when the range is 300 and over. When I tried to use the +3"@100, I have shot "over" far, far more than I ever shot under.
You may find that they (150s) shoot well. I shot them in 3 rifles. 300 WSM Montana, 300 WSM Tikka T3 Light, and a 30-284 Ruger #3. They shot well in all three. For years I sighted in 3" high at 100. About 1965 I began putting them right on at 200. Made things simpler for my self imposed 300yds maximum. Put the cross hair on target - grin.

Had no way to actually measure recoil but from what I felt shooting a few hundred hot 180 grainers the Montana stock absorbs more recoil than the Tikka. Twas notably more pleasant rifle to shoot off the bench. I have no memory of recoil when shooting at game :-)

A note in my reloading manual concerning Barnes TTSX reads, "To load the TTSX press the leading edge of the first ring to even with the outside edge of the brass mouth." "That gives the best COAL for Barnes to shoot accurately." It has worked well for me with the TTSX rounds. Should give you a starting COAL. It has worked recently with my Kimber Montana 270 Win 110 and 130 grains and my Kim Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 100 and 120 grainers.

I was at the range the other day I had 3 rifles doing load work 375 H&H, 300 weatherby and 300 wsm. Surprisingly the 300 wsm was a real sweat heart to shoot. I also don’t use a lead sled. Looks like the 375 likes a 79.5gr rl17 with a 300gr tsx, 300 weatherby really likes 180gr hornady btsp with 82.3gr of H4831. The 300 wsm really likes the federal 180gr tbt bullet and 180 tsx with 68.3gr rl19. Going to up the charge to 69.0 with the 180 federal and 180 ttsx. I guess the point is I’m not recoil
Sensitive at all..
It is a given that a lwt rifle calls for a different shooting discipline ( am I saying that right? they have their idiosyncrasies for sure, ha. If I have any rifle that "hurts" while I'm in a golf shirt, I just slip on a Past Recoil Shield (mimics my hunting clothes for LOP) and get after it. When I was 14, I talked my dad into buying a used Remington 11-48 12 ga for me. That was one of the most brutal recoiling guns ever, every bit as bad a Stevens single shot 12 ga Magnum. I would end up with a black eye after shooting at doves! Both were Full choke and shot buckshot great ( we ran deer with hounds) but you had to "aim" them like a rifle! ha I was trying to "make do" as we were dirt poor. Turned out to be good training later when I was experimenting with "the perfect DGR", from 338WM to 458 Lott. ha
Thanks for the input guys, I'm taking it all in...:)
You mentioned a Stevens single shot...I guess the hardest kicking gun I ever shot was a H&R Single shot 3.5" 12 ga ( it weighs 5.5lb) shooting some 2 1/4 oz 3.5" shells....Its a buddy of mines gun that he bought back in the mid 90's ...He still hunts with it to this day, He told me recently he has killed 51 gobblers with that gun 👍. Maybe the hardest kicking gun I ever owned was a Mossberg 535 12ga 3.5", I think it weighed just over 6lb. I wish I never sold that one because it was a delight to carry in the steep terrain I most always hunt......Hb
Unfortunately big guns that are pleasant to carry aren’t pleasant to shoot.
The ones that are pleasant to shoot are not pleasant to carry .

I prefer a heavier rifle .

Try reloader 17 . You will like it !
Brake it and go 200s or 212.
I will try both R17/H4350 , maybe R16, and see which one shoots the best. I will just have to go ahead and work up some loads now as its getting warmer. I will them test test them in hot summertime, early September. I dont' like having a "summer time/winter time load of different charges with the same bullet... that gives me an excuse to 'try another bullet", ha, I love handloading as much as hunting.
I do not believe in pixy dust , but there is something with 17 that just works in the 300 wsm period.
Added velocity with less pressure signs than anything else I tried .
Great accuracy for me to boot.
I tried RL16 . To me it showed nothing over H4350 , and preformed a lot like H 4350.
I'm not one of those guys who says "if you can't handle the recoil of a 300, then you are a sissy girl and need to find a different hobby". Those people, need to go back to kindergarten and start over. Having said that, because of stock design, I believe, the Kimber Montana 300WSM was one of the easier/softer shooting 300s I've ever owned. I did find shooting 150s to be noticeably softer than 180s. Even though my rifle shot 150s, 165s and 180s well, 165 Partitions were my preferred bullets when I owned one and they shot very accurately in mine and were a good balance of accuracy and recoil.
I don't mind the recoil of a 300wsm. It is like a 30-06 with a stiff load. The 300wm is more punnishing and not what I enjoy shooting at all. My 300WSM is not "superlite", but it isn't a heavy beast at all either. Lately I've been shooting the 175LRX in it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If that or the 165 TTSX don't perform well enough in the rifle, I might think about a 200gr partition, but then the recoil will be more punishing. The main reason I'm wanting to shoot mono's in the light girl... I've had elk catch 180gr partitions, so a bullet that will penetrate better, is another reason for the mono's and 200gr partitions...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don't mind the recoil of a 300wsm. It is like a 30-06 with a stiff load.......My 300WSM is not "superlite", but it isn't a heavy beast at all either......

Me too.
Originally Posted by Brad
As to lightweight 300 WSM's,........I have no need for magnums on elk anymore and have gravitated to milder recoiling rifles. More fun to shoot, can be built lighter, and dead is dead.

I know you prefer your 308’s. What is the most most serious kills you’ve made with your 308 in lieu of the 300 WSM’s?
Just picked up this little jewel at my Gun Dealer's, made the Transfer to keep "Big Brother" happy. It is light, but not "super light", the stock fits me very well. I dropped it off at my gunsmith's to do some trigger adjusting, it was still factory, some creep and pull too heavy. I can tell this little rifle will be heavy enough when scoped to not be an issue. I have had several Mod 700 synthetic BDLs that felt even lighter or as light. 300WM, 30-06 with 200gr, then 30-06AI with 200gr, 338 WM .375 H&H and 300 RUM. I had the RUM braked as I set it up for a Long Range rifle for my Marine SIL. I feel its easier to see "your bullet strike" with a brake. I often have Predator ( Coyote/Prairie Dogs) rifles braked just for that reason.
I have the same rifle as the OP. It did not shoot well until I tried the 150 grain bullet and a whole new world opened up. A friend gave me a partial box of 5 Winchester Supreme Elite 150 grain XP3. I fired all five rounds and three were touching (almost had five touching) at 100 yards. Needless to say I was smiling.
I've used a Kimber Montana in 300WSM since 2010. The rifle wears a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8×36 with Talley LW ringmounts. It weighs little more than 7lbs. It is a handful from the bench. It requires a firm 2 handed hold to get it to shoot off the sandbags. I want to try a folded towel under the forend on the sandbag. Mule Deer says that helps lightweight rifles shoot off the bench. It will shoot half inch 3 shot groups if i treat it right.

The factory load I hunted with was Federal Fusion 150s. Accurate (well under an inch) and killed deer well.

I developed one handload for big game. A Barnes 168TTSX over RL17 in Federal cases and using CCI250 primers. 3100fps. Used it on WT, MD, moose and 17 species of African big game from Springbok to eland. No need for anything else, the eland was dead from the first shot but would not fall over. A neck shot finished it. The first bullet was found in front of the offside hip after traversing through the body on the quartering to shot. He wobbled and stumbled backwards, but just wouldn't fall after bracing himself.

If just hunting deer and antelope, I would be tempted to try the 130TTSX.
Originally Posted by AB2506
I've used a Kimber Montana in 300WSM since 2010. The rifle wears a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8×36 with Talley LW ringmounts. It weighs little more than 7lbs. It is a handful from the bench. It requires a firm 2 handed hold to get it to shoot off the sandbags. I want to try a folded towel under the forend on the sandbag. Mule Deer says that helps lightweight rifles shoot off the bench. It will shoot half inch 3 shot groups if i treat it right.

The factory load I hunted with was Federal Fusion 150s. Accurate (well under an inch) and killed deer well.

I developed one handload for big game. A Barnes 168TTSX over RL17 in Federal cases and using CCI250 primers. 3100fps. Used it on WT, MD, moose and 17 species of African big game from Springbok to eland. No need for anything else, the eland was dead from the first shot but would not fall over. A neck shot finished it. The first bullet was found in front of the offside hip after traversing through the body on the quartering to shot. He wobbled and stumbled backwards, but just wouldn't fall after bracing himself.

Some times I read a post and I wonder about it. The above, in my estimation. is very credible. I found that RL17 could produce that velocity with TSX easily. Didn't try TTSX but they are purported to shoot nearly identical to the TSX. Agree that the 130TTSX should be ideal for deer/antelope. I'd only add that the 150TTSX sure could be a deadly all around bullet in the 300WSM.
Jim.
Ten of my 19 elk were taken with a Kimber 300WSM using 180gr Partitions or Accubonds and H4350. Predictable and repeatable performance. But as Brad said earlier, lesser cartridges also did the job. For me, it was a .308, 30-06 and a .270Win.. Oh and a pre '64 .338WM snuck in there for a couple too.
Originally Posted by AB2506

Some times I read a post and I wonder about it. The above, in my estimation. is very credible. I found that RL17 could produce that velocity with TSX easily. Didn't try TTSX but they are purported to shoot nearly identical to the TSX. Agree that the 130TTSX should be ideal for deer/antelope.

I'd only add that the 150TTSX sure could be a deadly all around bullet in the 300WSM.
As shinbone said, "150gn at 3350fps lacks for nothing."
I bought the Kimber Montana in 300 WSM when they first appeared. I also bought a box of Federal 180 TSX to get started with. I fitted a Leupold 1.75-6 on it and went to the range.
The first few shots convinced me that I had a winner and I just bought more of same ammo and never reloaded for it. It killed a few moose and caribou as well
as a couple grizzlies and one dall sheep. My surgeon buddy loves to hunt but has no time to experiment with rifles so I gave it to him after he did some surgery for me.
He killed moose and caribou and took it to Africa where he killed several plains game. It's been a hell of a rifle! Unfortunately, we lost him last year so I'm coaching his son about the
rifle and what to do with it..

Others are correct in that the stock seems to mitigate recoil. It's one of the better all around rifles I've ever owned.
Shot the little rifle yesterday, no problem! Felt like an '06 to me. I shot for hours with the .270/84L, Bergara B14/300 WinMag and this 8400 Classic ( with a 3x9 scope it felt "just heavy enough".) Handles great! It has the "typical Kimber tight chamber, so I maxed out about 2gr less than Book/QL data. I started with the 150 TTSX, now I'm going to jump to the 168 TTSX. The 300WM/R23 and 175LRX were outstanding. Same with the 270/R16/129 LRX. Sweet!
Yes, as as a reloader you can tune the load where you want it. No sense carrying a 300WSM rifle at 243 load levels though. On the other hand, I used mine loaded to just above 30-06 levels/FPS for an elk hunt. One shot & over, elk didn’t know any difference.

Attached picture 4786D930-BBE9-49D2-836B-86991CF77A99.jpeg
There is something about a 300WSM used in Alaska that just rings true. The numbers and the stories line up.
300WSM - more power than a 30-06, and easier to carry, too.
Thanks guys. Nice bull sourdough! I will be chrono graphing those 270/300 WM loads next time I'm out. Both 300's have Burris scopes with the Ballistic Plex hash marks ( I'm comfortable with that system, not a turret twister, too OCD to mess with it once zeroed where I want, ha) The winMag has the Timberline 4.5x14 AO and the WSM has the Fullfield II. Both have proven themselves on several hard kickers. I have the little Vortex 1.5x8 on the 270. Its been a good one, so far.
My Nosler Heritage in 300WSM is a dream to shoot! 180gr Swift Scirocco over 64.5gr IMR4350 gives me 3000fps. I've dropped a lot of Kudu, Wildebeest, Zebra etc without any issues at all. It's made the rest of my rifles safe queens sadly ...
Your Kimber Montana 300wsm is perfect. I've had 2 and neither was much worse than a 30-06. Personally I'd load up a 168gr TTSX and watch anything on the planet die. Only other 300wsm I'd entertain is a old Sako A7. Those shoot every weight beyond marvelous..
A couple bulls I took with the kimber MT 300 WSM and 180 Partitions:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
You're killing me Brad, ha! Those are some super fine bulls! I had a chance to try R17/168 TTSX in the WSM. It worked out great as I wanted to see if R17 "behaved" over 80 deg. In two rifles of mine, R26 "did not, went wonky" over 80! Our weather turned off hot ( for us) 83 deg the PM I shot the trial loads. 64gr/R17/Win prepped new brass/Fed 215M gave easy extraction and 3 shots ( I always start out with 3, go up to 5-6 later if a load shows promise.) anyhow, 64gr went into .40" and 65gr/went into a nice, rounded .75". 66gr jumped to 1.5". I will chrono both 64/65 and just see how fast they are going. I am fine if the 64gr is between 3000-3100fps. I would almost bet, right now, since this rifle has a tight chamber, I have plenty of speed! I was really impressed with R17 as I have used it in several cartridges in cold temps where it also proved very good. R26 does for me too, in the cold. But, I am settling on the 168 TTSX. I will try out the 150 TTSX later in a 30-06. Thanks for the input guys! And Brad...you are one bull elk killing devil! ha
You're killing me Brad, ha! Those are some super fine bulls! I had a chance to try R17/168 TTSX in the WSM. It worked out great as I wanted to see if R17 "behaved" over 80 deg. In two rifles of mine, R26 "did not, went wonky" over 80! Our weather turned off hot ( for us) 83 deg the PM I shot the trial loads. 64gr/R17/Win prepped new brass/Fed 215M gave easy extraction and 3 shots ( I always start out with 3, go up to 5-6 later if a load shows promise.) anyhow, 64gr went into .40" and 65gr/went into a nice, rounded .75". 66gr jumped to 1.5". I will chrono both 64/65 and just see how fast they are going. I am fine if the 64gr is between 3000-3100fps. I would almost bet, right now, since this rifle has a tight chamber, I have plenty of speed! I was really impressed with R17 as I have used it in several cartridges in cold temps where it also proved very good. R26 does for me too, in the cold. But, I am settling on the 168 TTSX. I will try out the 150 TTSX later in a 30-06. Thanks for the input guys! And Brad...you are one bull elk killing devil! ha
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I've never owned a 300 WSM in a lightweight rifle. I am not bothered by recoil, but am also not a sucker for punishment, ha. I have a 270/129 LRX on the light end (an 84L Classic) and a 300WM Bergara Hunter on the heavy end. I have a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM/175 LRX on the way. I kind of envisioned this 300WSM as more of an all arounder. By that I mean set up for deer and elk, from near to 400. For a deer hunt, I'd take the 270/300WSM, for a elk hunt I'd take the 300WSM/300 Win Mag. I also would use the Bergara for nasty weather. In the 300WSM I am considering starting out with the 150 TTSX but, since its a magnum, maybe I'd be better off with the 175LRX in it also? Anyone found one bullet weight (monos) "easier shooting" than another or is it moot? I'd like to hear from you guys? I have some 200 Nosler PTs for the Bergara also, but are they "too much of a good thing" in an 8400?

Before scoring the Holy Grail of Montana's I was shooting a 300WSM Montana, prior to that a Win 70 300WSM with the plastic stock.

The Montana was pleasant to shoot in comparison to the Winchester and I believe it's mostly attributable to the stock.

And I was shooting 180's at max, not those little Nosler 125's.

I dont consider myself too recoil sensitive. I have shot a .300 WBY since I was 13, that I still use, plus multiple other magnum 7s and 30s. However, I finally caved on a Model 70 FWT in .300 WSM with an Edge stock. It was just not fun off the bench and too snappy for me to be confident with. I havent weighed it but with Edge Classic, Talleys, and a Swaro Z3, with the barrel cut down to 23 inches, it feels nice, light, and very portable. I finally sent it to Kampfeld to have a brake installed, plus bases drilled to 8-40s, and it is much better. It was either that or sell/rebarrel it BUT it handles like a dream and is my rainy day, packable, thick woods, elk/buck smasher.
I think your decision to brake that little Gem was spot on pard! The heavier screws are well worth it too. Keep an eye on your scope...I had a MatchGrade Arms made up once in 340 Wby. It had one of those KDF style brakes. The "sudden brake" acted like the piston in an air rifle, kicked the guts out of a Leupold 2.5x8 and a Zeis Conquest 3x9. I had it rebarreld to a bit heavier weight barrel, in 338 WM and Mag Na Ported. Calmed it down to, but was still difficult for me to shoot well in the field. Hopefully you won't have that happen to you, I mean, there are a lot of lwt rifles out there.
Originally Posted by MM879
There is something about a 300WSM used in Alaska that just rings true. The numbers and the stories line up.

Originally Posted by shinbone
300WSM - more power than a 30-06, and easier to carry, too.

Yup prezacly why I'd take a 30-06 over a 300wsm in Alaska. My -06 has 5 in the mag one in chamber. LOL Both are really great but if I'm around [bleep] that can eat me I'd take the extra rds of the -06 over the wsm
I'm being a smart-ass.... sorry. Honestly love a 300wsm... But an -06 prolly literally just as good. And more rds in the sum biatch.
Finally got to chronograph my loads today. The 300 WSM/R17 64gr/168 TTSX out of this tight chambered Kimber is going 3167fps avge. It also repeated its outstanding accuracy! The 300 Win Mag/ R23 73gr/175 LRX is going 3081 and also repeated its accuracy. My 270/129 LRX/ R16 53.6 did not. I worked on up to 54.5gr and I got 4 shots under 1 1/2". its going 3160 at that weight. I will seat them a tad deeper and try 54.5-55.5 in increments and see how that does.
Originally Posted by Shag
I'm being a smart-ass.... sorry. Honestly love a 300wsm... But an -06 prolly literally just as good. And more rds in the sum biatch.

Amen!
Thank you.
My 300 wsm has a fluted brux 24" #4 on a predator action. It one of my most accurate rifles with several different bullets and loads. One load it likes is the 150 ttsx over superformance at about 3400 fps. I took a moose with it at 547 yards quartering towards me and the bullet exited. You need nothing heavier than a 150 with a mono. I've shot a lot of other game with the 215 hybrid and 208 amax with it.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
My 300 wsm has a fluted brux 24" #4 on a predator action. It one of my most accurate rifles with several different bullets and loads. One load it likes is the 150 ttsx over superformance at about 3400 fps. I took a moose with it at 547 yards quartering towards me and the bullet exited. You need nothing heavier than a 150 with a mono. I've shot a lot of other game with the 215 hybrid and 208 amax with it.

Bb

Mono’s definitely punch above their weight.
My 300 WSM is a Sako Tecomate at 6 3/4 lbs bare I mounted my favorite
scope Leupold FX-3 6x42 German #4 reticle in Talley lt.wt. about 7 1/2 lbs
all up now I bought some Factory 180 gr loads here on the fire at a good
price all I have shot in it groups well with ANYTHING I try in it!
Recoil not bad for a OLD MAN who broke my back last year !
Originally Posted by AMRA
My 300 WSM is a Sako Tecomate at 6 3/4 lbs bare I mounted my favorite
scope Leupold FX-3 6x42 German #4 reticle in Talley lt.wt. about 7 1/2 lbs
all up now I bought some Factory 180 gr loads here on the fire at a good
price all I have shot in it groups well with ANYTHING I try in it!
Recoil not bad for a OLD MAN who broke my back last year !

I have the same gun and have only sighted it in but it is a shooter. My go to load in .300 WSM has been a 165 SGK and the Tecomate shoots it 1/2", 3 shot at 100 yards.

© 24hourcampfire