Home
Posted By: elkcountry BEST hand priming tool - 06/03/20
All,

I'm tired of my CHEAP LEE hand priming tool and decided it's time for an upgrade! I know there are quite a few out there to choose from.

Not interested in any of the bench mounted versions with priming strips, just a nice hand priming tool for smaller 50-100 round lots of ammo from time to time.

ANY advice, good or bad, is appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Elk Country
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/03/20
I like my RCBS tool. It has a universal shell holder, so I don’t need to keep track of which cartridge I’m priming. I think this is a plus, although the user needs to learn to insure the cartridges are properly centered.

The one downside is my hands become tired if I’m doing big batches of large primers. I find large primers require more effort to seat. I don’t really see any hand priming designs that would offer a big upgrade on mechanical advantage over the RCBS, so this is really a “feature” of hand priming.

To obtain more mechanical advantage I NG think you either need to prime on a press or worth a bench tool that provide a longer moment arm lever.
The Sinclair tool and the FA tool are both good, but the Sinclair is built better and has better leverage. The FA has a more convenient and user-friendly design.
I too like my RCBS, been using it for years.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/03/20
I've been using the same Lee hand priming tool since about 1983. I wore out the link, called Lee and they sent me a new one, FREE. I've primed well over 10,000 cases with it and wouldn't even consider using anything else.
Posted By: hanco Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/03/20
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I too like my RCBS, been using it for years.

Got a couple, I like them too
Posted By: flintlocke Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/03/20
I bought a Lyman a while back because it used standard shellholders, well made, does a good job (how hard can it be) but you gotta have hands the size of a gorilla to go thru a full cycle without changing your grip. Try before you buy.
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
Like my universal RCBS, used for years. I really like "feeling" the primer being seated. You can't get this from a press mounted unit.
Posted By: shooter25 Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
if what your looking for is quality --- without a doubt the Sinclair Tool is the best priming tool made. I have three of them and have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds with them and all of them are still like new

Gene
I broke an RCBS. Replaced it with a Sinclair. It’s a solid tool.
Posted By: Sheister Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
Really happy with my RCBS tool. I like having a tray I can load up with a couple hundred primers and go to town without having to handle primers for a while. Goes really fast and I can move on to the next step...

Never liked the press mounted primer seater as I had to handle every primer and I was often afraid I would crush the primer and have to start over again...
Posted By: qwk Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
21st century is the best I’ve used, and I’ve used many.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool. Comes with 11 different shell holders in the kit already! Really like mine! I believe Midway USA has them on sale right now as well!!
Posted By: shinbone Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
I've had 21st Century priming tool for a few years. Well made and easy to use. It lacks for nothing.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
Thanks for all of the comments guys!

I really like the looks and features of the Frankfurt Arsenal tool. Having the ability to adjust the depth of the primers is a nice touch!

Any other comments or suggestions would be great!

Elk Country
Posted By: lastround Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
Sounds like 21st Century or Sinclair are the best, but I stocked up on parts for my two Lee Auto Primes (with the round tray) years ago. One for small primers, one for large. I have used them for over thirty years, and don’t intend to change unless they both wear out before I do.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/04/20
I've used both Lee and RCBS hand priming tools. RCBS wins my vote.
Posted By: Sako Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/05/20
Wow... hate for the lee crimper... Never would have thought... Still using the same one I bought in 1988... never had the first issue with it... unless I got a primer in upside down and did not see it and seated it upside down but that Is my fault...... smile
Posted By: rabst Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/05/20
Another vote for Sinclair. I've only owned one, but its been solid for over 25 years.

21st Century's also looks like a great tool.

Both are pricey, though.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/05/20
elkcountry,

Just curious, is your Lee hand priming tool the older version with the round tray or the current one with the triangular tray Lee sells? Seems like most are happy with the round tray version, but mixed reviews on the current one.

On another note, here's a few links to similar recent threads on the subject:

Best hand priming tool

Favorite priming tool

frankford arsenal hand primer
Posted By: Filaman Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/05/20
I've been using my Lee Auto Prime since 1981. It's all I've ever used so I don't know any better. I lost the parts for small primers so I bought a new Lee. I've got the new one rigged for small primers and the old one set up for large. Unless I lose or break something I'm not changing or buying anything else. They work good enough.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/06/20
Gringo,

It’s the old version round tray. Why I’m tired of messing with it is it WILL NOT fully seat a primer in any caliber! I have to finish seating the primer on my Rock Chucker. I may as well use the RC to start with. I have noticed the LEE shell holders are very sloppy and allows the shells to move up while seating primers. I have 2 or 3 shell holders for the calibers I use it for the most and all are sloppy! PITA!

Basically sums up my frustration!

I’m getting ready to load up a few hundred 223 Rems with 50gr. V-Max bullets for an upcoming prairie outing!

Elk Country
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/06/20
Thanks Elk Country. It's good to have options and seems like folks are happy with several other priming tools. If my old Lee starts to give me problems, I'll look at some of them. Let us know what you go with and how it works out for you.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/06/20
Grin go,

Will do. Kinda leaning towards the Frankfurt Arsenal tool right now but still checking the others out!

Elk Country
Originally Posted by elkcountry
All,

I'm tired of my CHEAP LEE hand priming tool and decided it's time for an upgrade! I know there are quite a few out there to choose from.

Not interested in any of the bench mounted versions with priming strips, just a nice hand priming tool for smaller 50-100 round lots of ammo from time to time.

ANY advice, good or bad, is appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Elk Country

I have worn out those puny RCBS tools with metal fatigue and the handle breaking in two.
Bough a Hornady, took the plastic tray off it and use it in its basic form. This one is clunky and built like a tank but I'll never wear it out. Had it maybe 25 years or a bit more. Just a piece of milled bar stock and the handle slides in an elongated mortise and changing shell holders is a simple clip in and clip out with thumb pressure. Great tool.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/07/20
The finest hand priming tool available is connected to your torso.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/07/20
I have looked at the Hornady tool and it is on my short list of possibilities! May run to the local Scheel’s and play with a few before deciding!
Posted By: JGray Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/07/20
I've had both versions of the RCBS and replaced them with the Hornady which I've used for quite a few years. My only issue with the Hornady is that sometimes primers will either tip on there side or completely flip over while feeding from the tray. If you catch it before attempting to seat the primer, it's no big deal but seating a primer tipped on edge is a real bitch getting the case out of the unit. I recently bought a Frankford Arsenal and it's far superior to the others I've used. You could'nt pay me to touch a Hornady again...
Posted By: tedthorn Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/07/20
I own 4 Lee hand prime tools

All set up for different primer size and different shell holders

They work great
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: BEST hand priming tool - 06/08/20
I use the LEE HP Tool for '06 size cases and a Sinclair International for Magnums. The Sinclair has shims that can be removed in order to seat primers fully. Love it.
© 24hourcampfire