Home
Posted By: gunner500 Bobcat - 12/30/20
Have a Bobcat on trail cam that looks about like a small mountain lion with a short tail, very large lone male coyote too, what kind of call do you guys like? electronic?, remote control off/on? mechanical flailing dying prey?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
For bobcats I use an electronic call set out 50 yards or so from my position, along with a decoy. I switch up the calls a lot, going from rabbit in distress to bird calls, maybe even a kitten in distress. If I'm targeting bobcats specifically, I call a lot, but not loudly, and sit for as long as I can because it sometimes takes a cat a while to come in.

The same setup works for coyotes, only I don't call as often or stay as long. Hope that helps.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20

Killed a big male yesterday, Vole, B-B cotton tail, Bird sounds. work for me. Rio7
Posted By: TheKid Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Patience is the main thing IME. I’ve almost never had a cat charge the call like a coyote or fox will do. They like to sneak in and look things over. I had a staring match with a big Tom for 20 minutes last year and he never moved a muscle the entire time.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
I’ve called more cats with Kerry Carvers swift call than anything else. Including electronic.

Haven’t ever used a decoy so can’t comment there. Always felt it was just something else to pack.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Gunner...what others have said...patience is a virtue. A stand should be 45 minutes or so. Electronic with small rodent sounds or bird sounds for the cat. Watch closely, they often hang up at a distance and its easy to miss them if you dont see them move.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
+1 on the bird or small rodent sounds. If I’m somewhere I know there’s a cat around I’ll roll the band way down on my CritRcall PeeWee for a real high pitch squeak.
I really like a decoy when targeting bobcats. I've seen them walk within a few yards of me, never taking their eyes off the decoy. Decoys on coyotes have worked just so-so, but work great on cats.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Many Thanks for all that Men, guess I should have asked what 'brand' of electronic call should I buy? I can use mouth reed" calls, trying to run a damn turkey call 35 years ago tickles the roof of my mouth so bad I cant stay in the call.

Ingwe, can you see a pic on your cell yet?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
I have a damn good spot to hide amongst some boulders up on the mountain, can most likely see about 60 yards up there, and yes, full camo and stone still.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
My predator calling mentor told me that you only see about half the 'cats that come to your call, they just don't take the bait and back off without you ever seeing them. He also thought that you needed to let a good piece of 'cat cover rest at least a week between sets to avoid educating them too much.

I have my most success calling 'cats in tight cover where the is a creek running through the cover. That allows me to set up the decoy and caller on one side of the creek and hide myself on the other side. I think that the physical obstacle between me and the decoy makes the 'cats feel more comfortable. My primary 'cat calling rifle for tight cover is a Remington 597 in .22 MAG shooting 33 grain plastic tipped bullets. Good penetration in, but not out,, good expansion, and 100% energy dump inside the body.

I find that calling 'cats has a lot in common with turkey hunting.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Darn cats are sneaky - I would lay odds that people miss 60+ % of the ones that come in...

It helps ALOT if you have a motion decoy, that helps pull them into the edge of cover so you can spot them, so put it in a dip / depresssion so they have to come up far enough to see it, where you can see them.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Interesting how much people's experience varies on the same subject. I'll bet half the cats I call come on the run like a hard charging coyote.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Interesting how much people's experience varies on the same subject. I'll bet half the cats I call come on the run like a hard charging coyote.

I set up in a harvested corn field once, set my call out in front of me, maybe 80 yards away, and I was sitting in front of some corn stalks, all this in the middle of a field. I'd no more than turned the call on, when a bobcat came running by me, only a few yards away, and literally jumped on top of the call. I've had several come running in like that. I've also had several not show themselves until it was almost too dark to see them.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Excellent info on this thread, and compact enough to read it! Ditto to 45 minutes for bobcats for me. (I quit at 30 minutes one time and had the biggest bobcat with biggest tracks I've ever seen stroll up in an open snow lane at 32 minutes while I stuffed gear in my daypack.)

Higher pitched busy, frantic sounds seem to work better, and I like to do a minute of bobcat in heat every few minutes. Have called them with hand calls and electronics. An electronic lets you set up a two man ambush (caller and shooter some distance apart) when you are solo!

Bobcats want to SEE what is making the sound, and coyotes want to smell it. Set up accordingly. Use the target animal's instincts against him.

IME a majority sneak in and some run in, some of those within seconds of the first call sound. I watched one take 50 minutes to close from 350 yards to bow range at 25. Have had several run right up to me when hand calling, and had others trot and lope to within first sight of the sound source, and then start sneaking.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Re which call:
1. If you are fairly new to hand calls, a closed reed is super easy, virtually zero learning curve. With a higher pitched cottontail voice, good for bobcats, it also makes excellent bird distress if you trill your tongue. Many brands will work. Rainshadow makes custom beauties that perform. For over 20 years I only owned one predator call, a closed reed Weems that called more than 20 species.

2. Open reed calls are harder to master, though not really hard for most people. A middle of the road open reed can make a wide variety of sounds, from rodent whimpers to doe in heat to rabbit/fawn distress to coyote vocals to elk cow talk and bugles. I have one around my neck all the time when outdoors.

3. Remote controlled electronics are the drag racers of predator calling, from jalopies to sci fi machines. FoxPro dominates the market with lots of good options, kind of like Macdonald's. I just bought an Icotec and am trying it, and my grandsons love the Lucky Duck. It would be nice if you could hunt with a friend who has an electronic before you buy.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by gunner500
Many Thanks for all that Men, guess I should have asked what 'brand' of electronic call should I buy? I can use mouth reed" calls, trying to run a damn turkey call 35 years ago tickles the roof of my mouth so bad I cant stay in the call.

Ingwe, can you see a pic on your cell yet?

Got it dude...but you know that by now.

I'm packing my schitt and gassing up the car to come help you kill him!
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Bobcat - 12/30/20
Plus one on the PeeWee

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Osky Re: Bobcat - 01/01/21
Great tips above. We hunt here in snow so it’s easy to check aftermath. I feel just like coyote hunting a huge factor is how quietly you get in and get set up.
Once you bump them, they are not coming back for a while.
Bird noises, small rodent sounds. I’ve watched them come in all thru the open west and even tho your offering a free wounded steak dinner the darn cats will be distracted by every silly movement along their path. Patience.

Osky
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Bobcat - 01/01/21
Originally Posted by Osky
Great tips above. We hunt here in snow so it’s easy to check aftermath. I feel just like coyote hunting a huge factor is how quietly you get in and get set up.
Bird noises, small rodent sounds. I’ve watched them come in all thru the open west and even tho your offering a free wounded steak dinner the darn cats will be distracted by every silly movement along their path. Patience.

Osky

Have you ever messed with a house cat with sounds ? Notice when the sound stops the cat stops? I think the same is true with bobcats. Keep the sound going often with smaller lapses in pauses. And I think the bobcat will come much more quickly. All of mine I have been well under 20 minutes. Course these are just the cats that I did see.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bobcat - 01/01/21
Good stuff, Thanks for all the info Men, ordered an IOCTech Outlaw call with remote and decoy, another question, the big coyote up there with the monster Tom has to weigh 50lbs, would you guys hunt both with a suppressed 10/22 Ruger with 22LR HP's or an old model 70 22 Hornet firing 46gr Speer flat noses at 2900 fps, shot placement? was thinking head shot on either with the 22LR, not so sure about the Hornet.

Thanks Again.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bobcat - 01/01/21
Hornet would get my vote.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Bobcat - 01/01/21
Good stuff, Thanks for all the info Men, ordered an IOCTech Outlaw call with remote and decoy, another question, the big coyote up there with the monster Tom has to weigh 50lbs, would you guys hunt both with a suppressed 10/22 Ruger with 22LR HP's or an old model 70 22 Hornet firing 46gr Speer flat noses at 2900 fps, shot placement? was thinking head shot on either with the 22LR, not so sure about the Hornet.

Thanks Again.

Good move re the Outlaw. A friend of mine bought an Icotec Outlaw Dec. 21, loaded Rainshadow lion vocals on it the next day and killed a cougar with it Dec. 23 on his first calling stand. He used it to call a second lion on Dec. 27, which my grandson killed. Rainshadow site has the stories.

Ditto using the Hornet with 46 grain bullets. Cats are relatively easy to kill but pound for pound coyotes are as tough as grizzlies or mt. goats in my experience, extremely tenacious of life. I've killed several coyotes with .22 long rifle and though I have never lost one shot with a .22, the experience is why I don't ever ever choose the .22 on purpose for coyotes. If it is the rifle in hand when a coyote offers a surprise close shot, it will do.

Re head shots: have taken them on coyotes with a .22. A hit between eye and ear when the animal is broadside works. The problem is that we can't count on getting a head shot, or a good head shot anyway. Coyotes hit in lungs, alongside the spine without severing the spinal cord, various other places, can and often do run a loooooonnnggg ways before expiring. Use enough gun.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bobcat - 01/01/21
Great, thanks for the recs, 22 Hornet it will be, I guess rib shots on the cat will be okay? don't want to football hole the hide, good info on the call, many Thanks.

Where you be Ingwe? shoulda been here by now ; ]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Bobcat - 01/01/21
Hornets and Lucky Ducks work.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cats want to sneak in and study. Except for all the times they come in hard charging. smile
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bobcat - 01/03/21
Cheesy, NICE! didn't know Browning chambered the little Hornet, or is that a custom re-barrel?
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Bobcat - 01/03/21
I wouldn't head shoot a bobcat, their skulls make for a cool display piece.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Bobcat - 01/03/21
and a skull with a bullet hole ain't cool?....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

for the guys that make their own gland lure, it almost required to headshoot them......
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Bobcat - 01/03/21
Cheesy 's rifle is the Winchester version. Factory standard chambering.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Bobcat - 01/03/21
Cheesy, NICE! didn't know Browning chambered the little Hornet, or is that a custom re-barrel?

I wish mine was the Browning version, the wood is a lot nicer. Mine is pretty bland. Fun little rifle though. A Browning with box and papers just sold on gunbroker a few weeks ago for $1360.
Posted By: Osky Re: Bobcat - 01/03/21
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

Have you ever messed with a house cat with sounds ? Notice when the sound stops the cat stops? I think the same is true with bobcats. Keep the sound going often with smaller lapses in pauses. And I think the bobcat will come much more quickly. All of mine I have been well under 20 minutes. Course these are just the cats that I did see.

Interesting Ky... I have long done control shooting of canines in the west, cats out there were are not my target so I stay with the cadence and variation I always use. Watching cats poke their way in is fun and they make great alarm systems for slinking coyotes slipping in.
Up in northern MN where I hunt cats during season the snows are generally very deep which slows the cats up pretty good in general. We have probably eight milllion or more deer stands on public land, most of which the guys who put them up clear shooting lanes. Lots of options but again, patience. I’ll try your method.

Osky
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Bobcat - 01/04/21
This has to be one of the best, more informative threads I've read on the fire since joining. Thank you all for the information you are sharing.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Bobcat - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I wouldn't head shoot a bobcat, their skulls make for a cool display piece.

Shot this guy in the head; still displays alrite. Not normally a head shooter, but he wouldn’t come out from behind a tree and would only roll his head out to the side when I would lip squeak....after about the 6th time of doing this I decided to take the shot.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bobcat - 01/04/21
Was only going to head shoot either with 22LR Hp's.

I like that hole in the skull Huntsman

Ole 270, Thanks.

10-4 Cheesy, still a nice rifle, I like it.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
This has to be one of the best, more informative threads I've read on the fire since joining. Thank you all for the information you are sharing.

Yes, good stuff Sig, and a nice break from you know what! my call will be here Wed, when I get back, i'll start the mission.
Nice hide overlooking your reloading bench Ky221, a nice rug like that for Wife and a skull like Huntsman's for me to sit on the mantle. cool
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bobcat - 01/04/21
I have given several bobcat and coyote skulls to science teachers around my area for use in their classes. A local taxidermy guy has beatles and whitens the skull, and glued in the teeth for me. The teeth will fall out unless they are glued in. Especially when they get handled a lot like those in the science classes.
© 24hourcampfire