Home
Posted By: Jim_Conrad 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/17
I know its still kind of 2017....

This one was trying to lure my pups over the hill.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thardy Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/17
Nice work!
What did you use on him?
Nice work!!!!!
Good job......I caught a no bellied pitiful cat last week.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What did you use on him?

260 remington

95 grain V max
What does that mean Charlie? No bellied?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What did you use on him?

260 remington
95 grain V max

What kind of damage does that do?
Not much.

Coyote was a ways out there, over 300 yards.

I will look again in the morning, but I think the exit was between a quarter and a 50 cent piece.
Bolt handle didnt fall off?
Twice....but I had my Leatherman with me.
What does that mean Charlie? No bellied?

Fur buyers like wide white belly's with a lot of spots....

Bad belly....

[Linked Image]

Good belly.

[Linked Image]
Okay. Gotcha.

Even I can see the difference!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/28/17
Are those coyotes still gonna be dead when 2018 gets here?
Did I jump the gun a bit?
Nice job guys.. Glad to see the New Year off to a great start.. I will have to get with it..

Elk, what did you slay those dogs with????

Jim, nice work.. Good old 700's!!! I have less serious trouble with them than the model 70 and Sakos..
WCH,the top dog was killed with a .257 Roberts and a 100 grain Sierra flat base.

The next three were killed with the .22/6mm and a 40 grain Nosler Varmageddon.
Elk, thanks.. I need to try that 40 gr..
I like the look of that 22/6mm.
Posted By: mtcurman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/30/17
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12506338

I'm trying out the new image gallery... still trying to figure it out.

Ben
I like the look of that 22/6mm.

Thanks. smile
Posted By: MHWASH Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/03/18
1/1/18 at about 10:30.
1/1 coyote
Posted By: Wes_D Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/11/18
Deer hunt turned into a predator hunt.

Attached picture IMG_2440.JPG
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/11/18
Technically these were my last ones of 2017, missed the 2018 thread by about 2 days. But since it is Jim's thread and he jumped the gun too, I figure I might as well post them up. I called 4 on 2 stands, killed 3 of them. Nearly had a triple on the first stand.

[Linked Image]IMG_3723 by [/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21LLPb2][Linked Image]
IMG_3725 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/][/url], on Flickr
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/13/18
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Ky221
[Linked Image]

Nice

Lux.....right?

Whar caliber?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/14/18
Correct. Lux.

22hornet
Sweet.......nice to see you using the iron sights that gun is designed for too. Classy.

Now I want one........crap.
Preciate it The irons are actually really nice. And pretty much on far as I can tell. 12oz cans at 100 yards are pretty easy. I might take it calling in the am..
CZ makes good irons.

My Carbine came with them. It's a newer model so it has a FO front blade which is a good thing for old eye balls.

I used QD rings so I can pop the scope off. Not that I ever will but it seemed like the right thing to do. ha

[Linked Image]
I always liked those CZ carbines. Handy little rigs. Always wanted one. Never did pull the trigger.

Does that front hood interfere with the scope? It does on the lux.... I have to turn it up I at least 4x. So with the interference and just not getting a good cheek weld, I decided to just roll with the irons.
No....not even at 2.5 power, maybe you're using a scope with a larger objective lens/FOV....mine's a 2.5-8X36..

223 that shoots 50gr Fiochie V-Max and 70gr Barnes TSX to the same POI at 100 and weighs a tich over 6# all up and empty.
I didn't want to reload for this one so it took awhile to find what it liked but it was worth the effort. I love it.
I call it my "battle rifle". ha
Funny you call it that. I’ve always said that the 527 carbine would make a great SHTF rig.

I undertand the not reloading thing. The older I get the less time I have for it, I doubt I ever load for this Hornet.
Funny you call it that. I’ve always said that the 527 carbine would make a great SHTF rig.

That was my thinking. I'm not a prepper or a tin foil hatter but I like the idea of a light weight CRF carbine in 223.....ammo's everywhere and cheap.....with a nine twist so it will shoot heavier/longer bullets for deer sized game.
I’m not either but I don’t totally shoot the idea down that one could need it one day. I’d rather have the carbine with a setup like yours over an AR....but that’s just me. CZ defintley did that one right.

I shot a few deer with a 9twist 223 using just 55g soft points, made me wonder why I ever needed bigger. I’ve even killed them
With a 221fireball and 50g sierras.

If y’all excuse me. I’m gonna take the 22hornet for a walk. I’m sick but I gotta get outta the house and dealing with the public isn’t an option so to the woods it is.
[Linked Image]
Thats a funny looking squirrel KY221!
Nice dog Huntsman22.

I have often thought I should use my AR more for coyotes and such, but thought maybe they were a bit cumbersome for the job.

Do you have a round chambered before you start calling?

With a new trigger, my DPMS sportical might make a good calling rifle.
Jim, An AR makes a fine calling rifle. Not too heavy, fairly compact, handles fast, accurate and gives a guy plenty of follow-ups if multiples drop in. I keep my scope forward and stock collapsed to shoot with my nose to the charging handle, just to keep 'er compact. It was -9 when I made my stands after feeding this morning. They run fine in the cold if they ain't run too wet or greased up.....
Posted By: MOGC Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/16/18
I really like an AR for a calling rifle. I have a Leupold with an illuminated dot on my RRA Coyote Carbine and turned to 1.5X in the brushy creek bottoms and big timber it's fast to the game. If I'm on the edge of a field 4X works well. It has a good trigger, it's very accurate and fast on follow ups. Never had a malfunction with my rifle. Hunts, is that an M&P?
cheapo DPMS......
Posted By: MOGC Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/16/18
Your rifles gas block reminded me of my son's rifle. I asked because my son bought an M&P15 just before Christmas. He put new Magpul furniture on it and a Sig Romeo4 micro dot sight and that thing shoots very well! It needs a better trigger, but dang he can shoot it. He has killed a couple coyotes that we called with it, one a hard charger that he rolled up damn quick. Not always easy to do in a heavily timbered brushy creek bottom. A crow sitting what I estimate at 150 yards, not bad for a zero magnification 2 moa dot.
Posted By: aalf Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/17/18
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Nice......must have the pup trained on the camera now too?
Actually, he was locked in the truck....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/19/18
It's been bad coyote hunting for me this year. The local Mennonite boys hunt and trap them.......with, or without permission......and what they don't kill, they educate. Consequently, farms that I normally relied on in the past for good hunting, are turning up empty. We've had about a foot of snow here in the past week, and temps close to zero, a time when the hunting is normally very good. I've seen lots of tracks, but have had no luck until this morning. This one came in, and a 58 grain VMax out of the 243 ended its career. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/22/18
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Now you need a Swift Fox. And a ringtail cat. And a skunk. And a 'coon. I feel another texas trip is in order...
Now you need a Swift Fox. And a ringtail cat. And a skunk. And a 'coon. I feel another texas trip is in order...

Ive got them all...except the Swift Fox and I damn near hit one of those with the car in Wyoming a couple days ago...didnt even know they were in Wyoming....
and they're all over eastern montana, I'd bet....
They've been trying to reintroduce them for years...coyotes keep eating them...
Cant say I have seen one.....but the kid in town who traps on my place has caught them.
I rarely see them. But their little cat-like tracks are all over after a snow.....
Ha! Wondered what made those tracks.

Further north in the county there are quite a few I guess. Less farming up there, mostly native grass/gumbo prairie.
The whole reason they came off the endangered specie list, was the sheer numbers of them in Montana. Neat little critters and the smallest canine in NA. I got a couple hanging on the wall....

old pics..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

think they make a unique trophy and everyone that sees them has to find out more about them, as most folk never even heard of them..... cute little bastids, too
Posted By: Trystan Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/25/18
The whole reason they came off the endangered specie list, was the sheer numbers of them in Montana. Neat little critters and the smallest canine in NA. I got a couple hanging on the wall....

old pics..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

think they make a unique trophy and everyone that sees them has to find out more about them, as most folk never even heard of them..... cute little bastids, too

You are one ugly sumbitch........lol

Maybe you should lace up your boots dipshit!!!

Clark
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/29/18
[Linked Image]
2018 contest weekend. I had a terrible case of the misses Friday night or the pile would have been way more impressive.
The only "varmint" I've killed around my place this year;

[Linked Image]

Ed
Posted By: Owl Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/29/18
Chops over mesquite tonight Ed ?

Congrats, Jeff
Originally Posted by Owl
Chops over mesquite tonight Ed ?

Congrats, Jeff

Fortunately, or unfortunately, there is no Mesquite in this part of Texas.

Plus, that was the rankest, stinkingest OLD boar I have ever seen. His tusks were worn almost down beyond his lips. Don't have any idea how old he was, I just knew he wasn't going to get butchered by me. Coyote bait for a couple of days is all he was.

Ed
a nice, prime one.....grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/02/18
What’s the deal with the golfballs and zip ties on the dogs?
Shot a porcupine last weekend with my 38-44. Lyman 358156 over 7gr of Unique and the quills were raining down.

We never had the damn things around here when I was growing up and now they’re getting to be pretty common. My aunt’s rancher boyfriend says every time he works cattle he has a couple with a face full of quills.
Originally Posted by TheKid

Making sure they are a fresh kill in the contests.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/02/18

They announce a code @ dusk the night the contest starts. We have to write that code on the ball and position it to the back of the mouth, then crush the jaw closed hard enough the ball can't be pulled or spun. Supposed to keep people honest, but I still have my doubts.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation
Originally Posted by bbassi

They announce a code @ dusk the night the contest starts. We have to write that code on the ball and position it to the back of the mouth, then crush the jaw closed hard enough the ball can't be pulled or spun. Supposed to keep people honest, but I still have my doubts..

Contests tend to bring out the worst in people.

I hunted a few in No. NV back in the 70's that a Bar in Ely put on. It was basically Elko vs Ely and both sides cheated like hell.

I lost interest.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/03/18
took the mighty .17 Remington for a walk yesterday. Found a few willing fur balls. Only had to leave one behind due to mange. But the buzzards and the worms gotta eat too!

[Linked Image]DSCN1372 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Originally Posted by TRnCO
took the mighty .17 Remington for a walk yesterday. Found a few willing fur balls. Only had to leave one behind due to mange. But the buzzards and the worms gotta eat too!

[Linked Image]DSCN1372 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

👍
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/04/18
TRnCO, what always surprises me about your pictures is how uniform the colors seem to be on your dogs. Ours are all over the place on the east coast.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/04/18
how uniform the colors seem to be on your dogs
true we don't see much color variation. Every now and then will see a red/strawberry blond color or a darker variation of the usual, but not often.
TR, did you pop any right at home?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/04/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/04/18
Good one Gary! What are you shooting in that RAR?
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/04/18
TR, did you pop any right at home?
It's been 3 or 4 months since I shot one behind the house. The last two I shot here were both mangy.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/04/18
It’s a 223

52g HP
[Linked Image]

Good job.

BTW.......that's one ugly f-n Coyote.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/05/18
We actually hunted a local predator tourney this weekend. Not really my thing but a friend insisted. We should have had 3 coyotes, but you know how it goes.....

We bumped this one on the way in and he decided to come back, but he stayed hung up around 225ish, which was close enough.

And yes he was nasty. Had a touch of mange.
Caught this little bastid digging a new hole in the dam of one of my ponds this morning;

[Linked Image]

BTW, 55gr TTXS over 25.5gr of CFE223 overpenetrated...

Ed
Posted By: LouisB Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/08/18
How much are the pelts selling for.

Are ya making back "gas money" or just part of the fun of living life in the outdoors?
did you use 'beaver dope'?......
Hairy beaver!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/08/18
This mornings hunt in a big hollow. Just wish I'd took a 223, as a 243 is just much on cats. [Linked Image]
Also took a coyote. One of the best shots I've ever made in heavy cover.[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ky221 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/08/18
Nice. Shame about the cat tho.
Nice. Shame about the cat tho.

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting a cat, although this hollow is full of them. I was mainly using coyote howls, because it's mating season. The owner wanted cats shot because he's a turkey hunter, and they're the main turkey predator here.
[Linked Image]

Running head shot at 175 yards.

So, just dumb luck in other words.

Young, kind of scruffy female.
Posted By: drover Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/10/18
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

drover
Nice shot Jim... running coyotes are tough targets.. What did you use..
Model 700 Classic in .221 Fireball.

Vx 2 3x9x40 gloss.
Oh, cool caliber.. I wanted one badly, but came across a Hornet.. Still it would be a great addition to the varmint battery..
I have 5 at the current count.

Still could use a few more, I reckon!

I wish I would have bought a CZ in .22 Hornet.

I dont think they are making them right now.
Do you save the fur Jim?

PS....FIVE 221FB's?........That's impressive.
I have not yet this year Charlie.

Both coyotes I have blasted have been small, crappy ones. Both females though....so it should help the problem.

As soon as I can get some traps out I hope to start saving some fur.

Not for sale probably, just for myself. I would like to tan them and hang them on the wall.

Remington made a couple more .221's that I dont have yet. I watch for them on Gunbroker. I guess Cooper chambered it too....just never been in to Coopers.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/11/18
Our fur is going to chit by now Jim. Last 2 I shot I shouldn't have wasted my time skinning. Better hurry up.
bbassi.........Yea....they're usually starting to rub by now.
My fur buyer doesn't like to buy Coyotes after the first of the year so I pulled the few Coyote traps I had out a month ago.

Jim......I know she's small but from what I can see that's a nice MT Pale right there.Too bad she's in such bad shape.

This is a pic of my fur buyer comparing a ID Coyote of mine to a big MT Pale he had just bought.
Talk about rubbing it in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/11/18
If it makes you feel any better Fieldgrade, either of those could probably swallow most of our little red dogs down here.
Hell, I dont know if she is in bad shape.....really.

Her tail is skinny and scruffy.

I guess I could take it round to the buyer to have a look.

Maybe I should have a crack at skinning her.

If they are rubbing, they might regret it.

Been below zero a lot and a tough winter.

At this point I am sort of acting like a "govt hunter". Just trying to control the population and learning about trapping. Maybe that turns into something I can make a bit of folding cash on in the future.

I have not even got a trap in the ground yet....or used my new ice shelter. Getting the chores done and keeping my fleet of schit running has taken most of my time!
Charlie, I had no idea that all coyotes did not look like the one on the left before I started looking at photos here.
what is a green pelt selling for now? say a MT Pale?
Ours have the size but it's those pale coats those bastards over in MT and Canada raise that fetch the big money.

[Linked Image]
I don't know about green but a well put up MT Coyote can easily fetch $100.....maybe even more.....these days,
Ours are bringing $50ish.....$75 tops but it would have to be a good one.
I am really looking forward to learning more Charlie.

My traps have been hanging for nearly three weeks now. No rust.

I believe I was supposed to dye the them first.

Maybe I should spray vinegar on them or something.

I still intend to get some traps out this winter.
They'll rust plenty with some use.
Dying doesn't hurt Jim but since you're covering them up with dirt anyway I'm sure one could get by without it.
Waxing to keep the rust in check is probably more important.

I'd elaborate but this isn't the trapping forum and I don't want to get anyone's panties in a wad.
Once in a while I kill a nice pale coyote.. Have several in my house.. Beautiful pelts.. Really I love all coyotes.. They are cool animals, but they give me more sport than all other game combined.. I love shooting them, but love to have them around..
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Dying doesn't hurt Jim but since you're covering them up with dirt anyway I'm sure one could get by without it.

I'd elaborate but this isn't the trapping forum and I don't want to get anyone's panties in a wad.

Nuts!

Every time I think I have something figured out......
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Once in a while I kill a nice pale coyote.. Have several in my house.. Beautiful pelts.. Really I love all coyotes.. They are cool animals, but they give me more sport than all other game combined.. I love shooting them, but love to have them around..

A couple years ago a neighbor had the govt hunter out to his place over the winter.

He took over 300 coyotes. Never made a dent!

Nuts!

Every time I think I have something figured out......

At the risk of hijacking this thread any further Jim think about it.....you're burying them in the ground anyway so what does it matter what they look like?
Rust just adds color which doesn't hurt but you can do that in a half hour of boiling in log wood dye or walnut husks if you have walnut trees in your AO..
Just like any other tool with moving parts you'll be fighting that rust after a year or two....(that's why they sell wax).
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/11/18

A couple years ago a neighbor had the govt hunter out to his place over the winter.

He took over 300 coyotes. Never made a dent!

300......wow, I don't believe there's that many in our whole state!! Of course there is, but that's a lot of coyotes. I'd love to get in on that action. Coyote hunting here in the Southeast is a whole different ballgame.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/11/18
I don't know about green but a well put up MT Coyote can easily fetch $100.....maybe even more.....these days,
Ours are bringing $50ish.....$75 tops but it would have to be a good one.

We are lucky to get $30 around here fleshed and stretched. I've heard I can get more if I ship my own but haven't looked into it too hard.

I still remember getting $70 each for a couple reds back in 1980. That's $225 in today's money. frown
Posted By: thardy Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/11/18
Right off the back porch, .17 Hornet.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtcurman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/14/18
I am really looking forward to learning more Charlie.

My traps have been hanging for nearly three weeks now. No rust.

I believe I was supposed to dye the them first.

Maybe I should spray vinegar on them or something.

I still intend to get some traps out this winter.

Jim take them and soak them in a 50/50 white vinegar and water mix, that will get them rusting in a few days.. Then rinse off and they will be set to dye and wax.
I did buy a package of dye, and some wax but thats as far as I got, hope to fool with them next summer and get them ready for next fall!
Originally Posted by saddlering
I did buy a package of dye, and some wax but thats as far as I got, hope to fool with them next summer and get them ready for next fall!

Summer is certainly the best time to mess with them..
Finally got this picture thing sorted out.......

Here are some late 2017 varmints....grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This cat was in 2018 actually... Nash caught him, super nice cat. Quota filled early this year and cut us off early.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: dukxdog Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/15/18
Got this mangy som B roaming through my horses headed to my dog pens from my back porch. 6mm with 65gr Hdy V-Max took his neck out at 100.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/16/18
Originally Posted by mtcurman
Finally got this picture thing sorted out.......

Here are some late 2017 varmints....grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This cat was in 2018 actually... Nash caught him, super nice cat. Quota filled early this year and cut us off

early.

[Linked Image]

Great pics young man. Congrats
Jim, I know what you mean about coyote numbers.. My friends had the govt. hunter in a plane fly their ranch and he took over 150 coyotes in a couple days.. Just after he left , I drove out to see them and shot a big dog at the end of their lane.. One slick animal.

Mt. Great cat pictures..
Originally Posted by thardy
Right off the back porch, .17 Hornet.
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/16/18
had so much fun with the .17 Rem couple weekends ago that I decided to take her out again this morning. I knew the day was going to be short because the wind was forecast to start by or before noon.
2nd stand of the morning got a "two of a kind" pair to come lookin for a fight. Both male. Shot one at 100 yards and #2 at 165 yards.
[Linked Image]DSCN1373 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Then on my 3rd stand I decided to start with good ol rabbit and didn't take long to have another pair rolling in. They got separated quite a ways as one was charging and the other hung back to survey the situation. Almost couldn't get the charger stopped but finally about 40 yards out she did. Hit her but she spun and was on a death sprint back out but only made it about 30 yards before she rolled up. Guess her mate thought she had rolled the rabbit because he then came charging right on it. Dropped him there with her at about 75 yards.
[Linked Image]DSCN1374 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Made two more stands before the wind sent me packin for the house. As I was tootling along the highway I spotted a mangy sucker standing not 100 yards off the road. Upon a closer look I noticed a 2nd coyote laying down next to the mangy sucker. Just so happens they were only 400 yards from a ranch house and it's a ranch that I can hunt. So I turned around and went back and talk to the rancher, and of course he told me to "go get em". Was an easy stalk since there was a big ditch that brought me to within about 75 yards of em and plenty of wind so no worries that they'd hear me. When I came out of the ditch, there was more grass then I thought and I couldn't see them. So I got set up with my shooting sticks and did a couple voice howls. #1 stood up and I dropped her at about 75 yards. Mr. mangy made a dash for the hills but found out he couldn't out run the bullet. Turns out the female was missing a front leg. When I got back to the ranch house and talked to the rancher he told me he had shot a leg off of one a couple years ago. Bet this was her. Both were old coyotes with badly worn teeth. Both got left behind.
[Linked Image]DSCN1375 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Posted By: rong Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/16/18
Quite a mornings worth of fur right there,good job...
Excellent!!!!
Posted By: thardy Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/17/18
Thank you Fieldgrade.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
what is a green pelt selling for now? say a MT Pale?

My friend a fur buyer where I live told me that he would buy coyotes taken up to the middle of Jan. this year and he was paying up to $50.00 on the hoof! He does not take skinned or finished coyotes because he wants to do that for himself. Says he gets more money that way. He also said he has done around 500 coyotes so far this winter.

He told me this in early January. We have had so much snow this winter that it has been real hard to get around.

Kind of late with my story, but had to tell it!!!

Ken
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/18/18
[Linked Image]

If I could shoot, the pile would have been double this. Saw 3 Friday night, saw 17 or 18 Saturday night in 4 sets.
Posted By: rong Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/19/18
Still a nice pile o fur, how are the pelts? ,need to get out a couple more times,
And I think you are a little west of me,if memory serves
Nice!!
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by rong
Still a nice pile o fur, how are the pelts? ,need to get out a couple more times,
And I think you are a little west of me,if memory serves

3 of the 4 were good. One got left for the buzzards.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/19/18
saw 17 or 18 Saturday night in 4 sets
good grief, must be thick in those parts.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/19/18
It was crazy. Night before I only saw 3 for 5 sets, which is more typical up there.
Shot a coyote on the way tot he Ambulance meeting this evening.

He was a ways off the road....so I had to leave it.

I will take the tractor out tomorrow and gather him up for a picture.
Shot a coyote on the way tot he Ambulance meeting this evening.

He was a ways off the road....so I had to leave it.

I will take the tractor out tomorrow and gather him up for a picture.

Good idea.....most farmers don't like it when you leave them in their fields.... smile
He might be a nice enough coyote to skin Charlie.

Looked pretty good, right before dark when I shot him.

It will be easy to get permission to drive the tractor out there.............
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/22/18
How much snow ya got up there big jim? Any effect on deer or antelope yet? Thanks
Its pretty snowy.

Most places would have a foot on the level, with drifts being 4 or 6 feet deep.

Have not heard about antelope. The moved out and have not seen them.

The deer are making due....mostly eating haystacks. They are bunched up pretty well....for survival I guess.

Nothing to see 200 mule deer in a bunch right now.

I did go get that coyote. He must have had about a 70 pound ground shrink. I did not know they made coyotes that small.
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/22/18
Good deal one less fawn killer
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/23/18
I took the 22-250 out of the truck the other day and just like clock work, I had a coyote standing broadside at 150 on the way to work this morning. Dag nabbit!
[Linked Image]
7, typical.. I never gone anywhere with out my pistols in town, always have at least one rifle when I head to the country.. Usually two or three...
Posted By: thardy Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/24/18
Great picture. That Jack is huge.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 02/25/18
17 Remington has been lonely this year so I took her out last night.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/06/18
Stepped off my deck to take a leak last night, heard the cat food dish rattling in the shop....
[Linked Image]
A good 'possum!

Ed
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/06/18
Ed, we live on a river up a big hollar, coons possums and skunks are a pain in the azz... fun to shoot though. Grin
Posted By: Diablero Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/07/18
Originally Posted by Judman
Stepped off my deck to take a leak last night, heard the cat food dish rattling in the shop....
[Linked Image]

Hell yeah! Nasty sumbitches....
Ed, we live on a river up a big hollar, coons possums and skunks are a pain in the azz... fun to shoot though. Grin

They have hollar's in WA?
ugliest damn squirrel I ever saw.
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/07/18
Yes they do.

Him go, wanna cook one up? Grin
Good job......I caught a no bellied pitiful cat last week.

[Linked Image]

Well....it's official.....this Cat is worthless.
I took it over to my fur buyers house today and he wouldn't take it.
He said the Cat market is so volatile this year they're only buying top quality.
He suggested sending it to NAFA which is something I've never done but checking their web site I discovered they have a traveling pick up service. He was in Lewiston on the third (dang it) but he'll be through this way again April 21.

My buyer said to expect $50 tops. frown

Cats fetching less than Coyotes.....these are strange times.

It's rolling the dice with NAFA. You are not guaranteed a sell. It could be months and even years if it even sells. Then you have to pay I think it's 11% commission when it does sell. You also pay to have it drummed. I've always just kept my fur until next year if prices are down. I usually sell 20 to 40 a year and NAFA has never sparked my interest. Now if I was a fur buyer and say had a 100 cow or deer hides or whatever, something that was a pain in the ass to deal with then I might would pawn them off on NAFA to deal with. Your cats look like ours do here in VA with the spots. In the big market buyers are after those cats like you see coming out of Texas with the big rosettes. Not trying to discouraged you at all just throwing my opinion out there and you know everyone has one of those lol. Good luck with your sale.

Here is 2 different cats that I called in with a mouth call this year and my son shot them. I'm waiting until next year to sell mine also.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the advise....I'm always looking to learn something new about Cats and Trapping.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Great photos Field... Last evening the dogs and I made a short run out of town.. I shot some target they chased some cottontails.. Just goofing off.. Took a ride on up the creek and spotted two animals crossing a hay field.. Thought they were coyotes, hurried on down to try and get a shot, and the sun out of my eyes.. I spotted them just at the edge of a huge swamp, got the cross hairs on the last, and to my surprise it was a big cat.. The other moved in the brush.. Then coming home, I spotted what I thought was a large feral cat, the binocs showed a small bobcat.. I have traveled this creek for the last 45 years.. Never saw a bobcat even close to this area.. Then in one night I see three, and the season closed Mar. 1..
There are a lot more Cats out there than we realize. I've learned over the years that they like to live close to people too.
Probably because the birds and bunnies like to snack on our plants and vegetable gardens.
I catch a lot of them within 200 yrds of my back door....caught this little flat bellied gal about 50 yrds from my house.

Diablero......don't quit your day job and move to Texas planning to get rich on Texas Cats.
The best cats come from MT, CO, and No. NV.....UT and WY have some pretty good cats too.
Thanks for the advise....I'm always looking to learn something new about Cats and Trapping.

There are a lot more Cats out there than we realize. I've learned over the years that they like to live close to people too.
Probably because the birds and bunnies like to snack on our plants and vegetable gardens.
I catch a lot of them within 200 yrds of my back door....caught this little flat bellied gal about 50 yrds from my house.

Diablero......don't quit your day job and move to Texas planning to get rich on Texas Cats.
The best cats come from MT, CO, and No. NV.....UT and WY have some pretty good cats too.

Wow? I didn't say not one word about that you didn't know anything about cats, trapping, hunting or anything else. You said you didn't know anything about NAFA because you haven't dealt with them before. I was just telling you what I know about NAFA because My grandaddy was a fur buyer back in the day and they used to pick up some stuff from him. Top market here in the south for cats came from Texas and my grandaddy bought what he could from them down there. You are right your better stuff is from up North and some states you mentioned have good cats to but we don't see any of that in this part of the country. I wasn't trying to turn this into a pissing contest at all but that's where you wanted to take it. It looks like cat prices are down everywhere this year. Congrats on your cats those are some nice ones for sure. Good luck with your cat sale.
Originally Posted by Diablero

Wow? I didn't say not one word about that you didn't know anything about cats, trapping, hunting or anything else. You said you didn't know anything about NAFA because you haven't dealt with them before. I was just telling you what I know about NAFA because My grandaddy was a fur buyer back in the day and they used to pick up some stuff from him. Top market here in the south for cats came from Texas and my grandaddy bought what he could from them down there. You are right your better stuff is from up North and some states you mentioned have good cats to but we don't see any of that in this part of the country. I wasn't trying to turn this into a pissing contest at all but that's where you wanted to take it.

Take a pill Nancy......that was said tongue in cheek and I damn sure didn't try to start a "pissing match". All I said was "thanks for the advice".
Next time I'll use a f***ing smiley face.

PS....I wasn't asking for advice on how to sell one miserable cat.....I was just following up on another post with my friends.....hence the quote from a post in Dec..
My 15 year old just turned down $450 for a nice tom he snared this winter....

Some of my pals have sold some for as high as $800 this winter.

The last cats I sold before I went to work for the outfit, went for $100-$125. Wish I had those back!
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/08/18
Hunted a place east of Melville years ago, the ranch hand killed some dandy stubbies, silver almost like a lynx... like to kill one someday. Ours are real orange
I suppose that there are good cats up here......but the quota for the entirety of region 6 in Montana is 50.

Region 6 is like 350 miles long and 100 miles deep. Its a big area for 50 cats.

The full timers get them all pretty quick.

Too bad about your cat Charlie.

I suppose you are not supposed to mail them or anything like that? I would buy it from you....maybe teach myself to preserve leather.
Hunted a place east of Melville years ago, the ranch hand killed some dandy stubbies, silver almost like a lynx... like to kill one someday. Ours are real orange

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Like these?

Two different cats, both old Toms, from the same set, seven days apart. This was back in the mid eighties.

Crappy pics of pics....
Yep, Damn they're pretty
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Like these?

Two different cats, both old Toms, from the same set, seven days apart. This was back in the mid eighties.

Crappy pics of pics....

Man O Man.....those are dandy's.
The Cats in this part of ID are pretty nice but they'll never fetch the kind of money MT or Great Basin cats fetch regardless of the market.
The most I've got was $750 for a 42" XL with a pretty good belly. That was 4-5 years ago when upper end cats were fetching $1000+ on a pretty regular basis.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/08/18
[Linked Image]

Ed, To many letters, and 2 cats we trapped this winter, I usually get between 40 and 60 cats every winter, we are covered up with them, they are tough on fawns, and adult deer, turkeys, and quail, most hides aren't worth fooling with.picture was taken in January, this year the most cats I have ever gotten in one day is 4 Rio7
Not this year but a good rep of our western Wa stubbies. 240 wby in my back field
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Like these?

Crappy pics of pics....

Man O Man.....those are dandy's.
The Cats in this part of ID are pretty nice but they'll never fetch the kind of money MT or Great Basin cats fetch regardless of the market.
The most I've got was $750 for a 42" XL with a pretty good belly. That was 4-5 years ago when upper end cats were fetching $1000+ on a pretty regular basis.

Those cats you posted pics of look really nice. Cats from the south, and southeastern part of the US don't even resemble the species....;)
[Linked Image]

Nice tom I caught in a walk through set, under a big weatherproof sandrock shelf.

[Linked Image]

Another good one, caught in a flat set out in the open. They have a better nose than a lot of people think.

Very cool critters....I miss trapping them. When I retire, I'll see if I still have the touch....;)
It's like riding a bike......
Pat, you should put up the gangset pic.
It's like riding a bike......

Laffin', except the pedals don't go quite as fast anymore!
Pat them some pretty Cats! the ones iv seen here in northern Michigan, are a kinda dull light brown not many spots on them, but iv only seen a few while bow hunting and you cant kill them then! one day Im going to try and trap a few!
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/12/18
Pickings are getting slim around here but managed a couple good ones last night.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/13/18
damn I'm jealous of that white stuff on the ground. Went down to southern Colo. yesterday with a good friend and we thinned the herd by 6. I used the big bore this weekend. big bore for me = 22-250 shocked
[Linked Image]DSCN1378 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
[Linked Image]DSCN1379 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/14/18
TR you are welcome to all you want. Just come get it. We should have another fresh 6" by morning.😫
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Okanagan Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/14/18

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Like these?

Crappy pics of pics....

Gorgeous cats! I would love to get one like either of those.

We have lots of cats here on the wet coast but as said, they usually don't have much for spots other than the belly and most are a brownish drab with orange underfur. It is a curiosity to me why there are so many cats in this wet world, seemingly considerably more per square unit than there are east of the mountains where it is dry and cold. More cougars as well as more bobcats.

Edited to add a caveat: Lots of bobs on the Olympic Peninsula and southern mainland BC, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the northern Pacific Coast. I went along on a one day bobcat calling foray south of here, near Centralia, WA, and didn't find a trace of bobcat sign. No snow so I could easily have missed some, but on the Olympic Peninsula or across the line into BC, an equal amount of roaming country, even without snow, would have turned up considerable bobcat sign.

[Linked Image]

Sheeeit! What in the hell is that?

I know its common to sit behind your quarry to make it look bigger.....but damn! Thats a big ole rat.

Bushy Tailed Wood Rat????? Living next to a nuclear waste dump?
[Linked Image]

Don, does B&C have a category for Pack Rats? That's record book, for sure! grin

BTW, would you measure them as with a bear, hide length & width method, or skull measurements? cool

Ed
[Linked Image]

Sheeeit! What in the hell is that?

I know its common to sit behind your quarry to make it look bigger.....but damn! Thats a big ole rat.

Bushy Tailed Wood Rat????? Living next to a nuclear waste dump?

Pack Rat......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/18/18
End of the season picture. We still have a week left but the fur is pretty bad. The last few were not worth skinning, so I might go out one more time, but then it's a long 6 month wait until the season opens again.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rong Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/18/18
Wow!! nice season...
all shootin or trapping as well?
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/18/18
Just calling. I've never trapped or run dogs (I don't have a problem with either, just not my thing)
Posted By: rong Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/19/18
Very cool,great work.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/24/18
Had to try one more time before the season ended.
[Linked Image]
Awww, the puppy got tired and laid down. How cute. grin

Well done!

Ed
Posted By: Diablero Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/25/18
Had to try one more time before the season ended.
[Linked Image]

bbassi,
Congrats! You put up some nice fur this year. I always enjoy looking at your pics. We are done here also. Killed a coyote last week and the hair was coming out in my hand when I picked him up. What kind of sight you got there, make and model?
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/25/18
It's a Pulsar APEX XD50 Thermal. I've been real happy with it. Don't think I could ever go back to lights or NV.
Posted By: Diablero Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/26/18
It's a Pulsar APEX XD50 Thermal. I've been real happy with it. Don't think I could ever go back to lights or NV.

I've been a light man myself for 30 years and I think it's time for a change. Thanks for the info I'm going to look into those.
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/27/18
Thieves gotta die!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/27/18
RAR LR or Mag?
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/27/18
GW doin God's work again, good stuff ol buddy!!!
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/27/18
Originally Posted by Prwlr
RAR LR or Mag?

RAR in 22 WMR.

[Linked Image]

It's a shooter. Nailed this jack at 131 yds.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/27/18
Good stuff Geedub! Sorry I didnt get to spend any time with you at the last pig hunt. We gonna hafta rectify that!
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/27/18
Rock on GW.
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 03/28/18
Originally Posted by geedubya
Thieves gotta die!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

I got the carbine GW, just mounted a 2-7 leupold on it and got her dialed in last week, damn good shooter!! Killed lotsa varmints with it and the old tasco pronghorn that was on it
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 04/02/18
from this past weekend.......

[Linked Image]

don't know if ya'll consider hoglets to be varmints..........

[Linked Image]

3 from the trap

[Linked Image]

one snared!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 04/03/18
Good eating there.
Posted By: whelennut Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 04/12/18
I just caught a crow in the bird feeder.
The 220 Swift Ruger #1V was in condition Red.
I was not able to attach a file.
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 04/12/18
Another grinner eating catfood, RAR 22 Mag
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 04/17/18
Trapped these last weekend

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
bump for FG.......
How'd you do that?
Posted By: aalf Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/09/18

My meager contribution........all with the 22x47 Lapua and 80 grain Bergers:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/09/18
[Linked Image]

Turkey thief. Rio7
Posted By: aalf Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/09/18
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aalf Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/10/18

Hope the top one is that Energizer bastard......
Spring coyote with a TC Contender 223.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/12/18
That's one evil looking bunny.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/20/18
Had not kilt anything in a couple weeks and was sufferin' da' symptoms of SDD (Shooting Deficit Disorder) so I went to my lease Wednesday, last, and cured that problem in short order

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and one up close and personal.......

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/21/18
That's a mess of pigs.
Wow!
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/21/18
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice work Don, I smoked 2 ferals the other night with the RAR 22 Mag.... bastards are hard on my birds...
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/21/18
Ol G doin God’s work!! Nice!!
[Linked Image]
huntsman22, you have all manner of critters out there in Deer Trail that need dispatching. Are they all trying to eat your birds?
Mostly..... The coons and cat was trapped next to the bird pens
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/22/18
taking em' down hard!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/24/18
I’ve been in that same position once or twice...Except my bottle was empty...What happended? You run out of ammo and decided to set your Jim Beam out for them to drink themselves to death? GWB, you’re a master of many killing ways.😎
Posted By: VernAK Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/24/18
GW,

I've never tried Jim Beam for bait .......spose it would work
for wolverines?
Saving face with 32-gr. Z-Max in .204 in Poop Town, SD:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/27/18
And so it begins. 5 acres on the newaukum river, my favorite pastime during the summer, bastards can cause some serious damage to a nice lawn.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/28/18
Master Trapper right there, Jud...Holy Schit, them shovel feet are big! Saving the prairie. 😎
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/28/18
I hate em!! 1 mole can tear up a lot of realestate in short order.... wife and I just came up from the river, had a few beers, gettin the chocolate dog wet, already 3 New hills, set 2 set 2 traps, he'll be dead in the am...
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/28/18
Got his pard this morning....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/29/18
ugly fuggers 😎
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/29/18
Big pig....the one without the hat......

[Linked Image]

Bigger pig...with a .223..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/29/18
Nice pork there.
Posted By: rong Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/29/18
Always liked the camouflaged ones,,,,
Nice porkies..
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/30/18
#3 for the week
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/30/18
Jud, You should “Go Pro” on killing them diggers...Get paid for them skills you got. 😎
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/30/18
You and your better half need to roll a couple hours north and I’ll show ya my secret....
Nice porkers ingwe!!!!
Next hunt I am going for a nice boar first then a couple of eaters... This is just fun hunting!!!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 05/30/18
Next hunt I am going for a nice boar first then a couple of eaters... This is just fun hunting!!!!!

WCH: there was an "eater" that bit the dust on this trip too! grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/04/18
is that the scope I sold you Ingwe?
gawtdamn sunofabitch.

[Linked Image]
.410 or 20 gauge,either one is hell on snakes!
My favorite 410.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/05/18
is that the scope I sold you Ingwe?

Nope...I bought that one on a preform years ago..

Yours is currently on the McFlame...223AI

Warming up for predators and pigs this winter... laugh
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/05/18
gawtdamn sunofabitch.

[Linked Image]

I'm gonna go look for some of those when it gets hot...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
gawtdamn sunofabitch.

[Linked Image]

You cook it up?
Originally Posted by ingwe
gawtdamn sunofabitch.

[Linked Image]

I'm gonna go look for some of those when it gets hot...

Already hot enough here but I am not going to be looking for them. We have quite a few timber rattlers but rarely see em.

We got to turkey camp years ago in the dark and the old man had to piss. Walked over to a tree as soon as we pulled up and was pissing when he heard something making noise right where he was leaking, it was about a 3' rattler in the pool of pizz, he got a nice rock to the head.

Sumbitch that would have shook me plumb up.
Jim, good work both of you!!!
the grin on the little guy, says it all!
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/13/18
Originally Posted by saddlering
the grin on the little guy, says it all!

+1

ya!

GWB
[Linked Image]

Thieves gotta die!

ya!

GWB
Lazy, hazy, crazy daze of Summer!

[Linked Image]

Boar #1

270 Winchester, !30 gr. Accubonds +/- 125 yds.
Two leaky holes. DRT

[Linked Image]

Boar #2

My first AR upper Build. 338 Federal, 185 gr. Hornady GMX, +/- 90 yds.
Two leaky holes. DRT

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/13/18
Nice work gee dub....
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/19/18
This one had been eating the beans and I'd been after him for a few days. The evidence is still in it's mouth.[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/19/18
The only good bean bandit is....................................... grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/19/18
Originally Posted by JamesJr
This one had been eating the beans and I'd been after him for a few days. The evidence is still in it's mouth.[Linked Image]

M7 .223?

M7 .223?

Yep.....my truck, tractor, and UTV rifle, hence the bullet carrier on the stock. That way I've always got extra's with me. Rifle shoots about anything in the way of a 223 bullet about as good as I can shoot it.

M7 .223?

Yep.....my truck, tractor, and UTV rifle, hence the bullet carrier on the stock. That way I've always got extra's with me. Rifle shoots about anything in the way of a 223 bullet about as good as I can shoot it.

I like the scope too! Good durable glass, plus the BP is pretty damn close to most .223 stuff...
I like the scope too! Good durable glass, plus the BP is pretty damn close to most .223 stuff...

I actually ordered this rifle for someone who said they were interested in one, but after I saw it, I decided to keep it for myself. I had the old Redfield one piece mount, and the scope, so I stuck them on and shot it to see what it would do. I have a ton of 223 bullets, but had some 60 grain Sierra SP's that I wanted to try, and them and Varget really shot well. The only problem was that sometimes the rifle didn't want to feed the first round. I changed the follower out and tried some VMax's and it worked alright after that. Yes, the Burris BP works good out to 300 yards. My 68 year old eyes require more power if I shoot further than that.

I love the Model Seven, and have 3 of them in 223. The other 2 are the Predator model, and they're actually more accurate than this rifle is.
Ive got a Model Seven Predator punched out to AI....with that same Burris scope on it...its a shooting sumbitch!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/20/18
Ive got a Model Seven Predator punched out to AI....with that same Burris scope on it...its a shooting sumbitch!

I'm no expert, and don't claim to be, but I have yet to see a Model 7 Predator that wasn't a very accurate rifle. I have 3 of them, 2 in 223, and one in 22-250. If I didn't have a safe full of 243's, I'd buy one of them. I don't understand why the Predator model didn't become a best seller for Remington. I guess it went the way of the Model 700 LVSF.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/20/18

I'm no expert, and don't claim to be, but I have yet to see a Model 7 Predator that wasn't a very accurate rifle. I have 3 of them, 2 in 223, and one in 22-250. If I didn't have a safe full of 243's, I'd buy one of them. I don't understand why the Predator model didn't become a best seller for Remington. I guess it went the way of the Model 700 LVSF.

It even works on little deers....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/21/18
[Linked Image]

Called in 4 of them, and shot these 2 as they came running in. Found a third one that I thought I'd missed later on. Rifle is 223 Model 7 Predator. Never shot anything but 50 grain VMax's in it, mostly because it shoots them so good.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/21/18
NICE!!!

My Model Seven Predator has since undergone a change...Put a B&C Alaskan stock on it, rasped it down to Ti dimensions and repainted, Duracoated over the camo, and punched out to 223AI...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/21/18
Nice looking rig. I like my factory stock, but the camo paint is wearing really bad on the left side of my rifle. I like those B&C Alaskan stocks.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/22/18

I got his brother yesterday afternoon. didn't have my phone, so no pics I'm going to get his mother and his sister next. Am surprised the coyotes haven't got them, as they're close to a den site.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/22/18

My Model 7 Predator in 243 is very accurate with 55 - 95gr bullets.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/24/18
NICE!!!

My Model Seven Predator has since undergone a change...Put a B&C Alaskan stock on it, rasped it down to Ti dimensions and repainted, Duracoated over the camo, and punched out to 223AI...

[Linked Image]

Wolf hunting with the AI?
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/24/18
NICE!!!

[Linked Image]

Wolf hunting with the AI?

We'll.......planning on a good bit of predator calling this fall, and will have a tag for lobo in my pocket..if one shows up.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/29/18
SWEET!
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/29/18

[Linked Image]

Kilt a few with the M7 Predator in 17 Fireball

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
NICE!

Ive got that same caller but haven't used it much....I'll be back down predator hunting this winter..

Looks like the .17 isn't too tough on the fur, if a guy was looking to keep it...
Three chamberings that can be relatively fur fiendly......

[Linked Image]

17 ackly Hornet

19 Calhoon (19-22 hornet)

22 Hornet

ya!

GWB
Geedub, Im gonna shoot some fur with a .223 slowed down to Hornet levels...likewise a .204 I slowed down...

we'll see how that goes...
Twenty caliber, 40 gr. v-max at speed can make a mess!

[Linked Image]
whitetail cull, +/- 80 yds.

as can a 223 AI

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

but, you know that.

Pix when you do!

ya!

GWB
Well, I slowed down some 60 NBTs in the .223AI with good results....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a .222 at regular velocity with 50 grain SPs seemed OK too...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I grow up I want a twin to this rifle!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 06/30/18
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
[Linked Image]

When I grow up I want a twin to this rifle!

Thats was my first "build" and still a fave.....222 fluted Bbl. in a LVSF stock...
Originally Posted by geedubya
Lazy, hazy, crazy daze of Summer!

[Linked Image]

Boar #1

270 Winchester, !30 gr. Accubonds +/- 125 yds.
Two leaky holes. DRT

[Linked Image]

Boar #2

My first AR upper Build. 338 Federal, 185 gr. Hornady GMX, +/- 90 yds.
Two leaky holes. DRT

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

GWB
What’s the pretty single shot you have there?
Posted By: geedubya Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/01/18
[Linked Image]

That is a Merkel K3 "Extrem". Mine is in the 270 Win.

It's a shooter

[Linked Image]

https://www.merkel-die-jagd.de/en/products/guns/single-shot-rifles/ssr-k3-extreme/

Blind hog will find an acorn now and then!

ya!

GWB

Posted By: EdM Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/02/18
A few weeks ago spot and stalk via a factory original FN Mauser 30-06 throwing 168 gr TSX's via H4350. I did pray that my Leupold Vari-X-III 2.5x10X would hold up. Amazingly, it did...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/02/18
NICE!
Posted By: cas6969 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/04/18
I don't kill stuff for no reason.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't have shot him if he hadn't been carrying that pistol.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/04/18
Originally Posted by cas6969
I don't kill stuff for no reason.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't have shot him if he hadn't been carrying that pistol.

Hes got damn good taste in pistols!
Posted By: 44mc Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/04/18
that is the one he stole from me ! please send back .
Posted By: cas6969 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/04/18
Stupid porcupine. Ya got no thumbs, can't shoot single action.

As with deer, I only shoot the dumb ones. wink
Posted By: RustyNut Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/05/18
[Linked Image]

Nice. I got one with my Crossman pistol a couple weeks ago. Now I wish I would have taken a picture.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/05/18
Another African varmint.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cas6969 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/05/18
Man.... he held him upside down 'till the pressure caused him to have a brain aneurism. Hardcore.
Posted By: LouisB Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/05/18
6mmWasp
What the heck is that critter?
Now that I would pay to have the hide tanned.

CAS6969
Good thing ya got em, fore he got the drop on ya.
Nothing worse than a "Pistol Packin Porie".
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/06/18
Originally Posted by EdM
A few weeks ago spot and stalk via a factory original FN Mauser 30-06 throwing 168 gr TSX's via H4350. I did pray that my Leupold Vari-X-III 2.5x10X would hold up. Amazingly, it did...

[Linked Image]

Wow, nice trophy Ed. Did they let you bring that one back?
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/06/18
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Another African varmint.
[Linked Image]

That one would make my taxidermist very happy and me even poorer.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/06/18
Another African varmint.
[Linked Image]

THAT is Uber-Cool!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/06/18
It is a pretty big male Civet cat.

Tried to get one for quite a few hunts, this time it finally came together.
My taxidermist is going to be grinnin until my bank account is drained.

Lechwe first then Sable then this guy as far as priorities go for the taxidermist,

Heck of a trophy EdM congrats
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 07/08/18
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Finally drew blood with the 6.5 Grendel.

Starline brass, cci primer, 8208 powder and a 100 grain Ballistic Tip.

I needed all of that.

Pigeon at 20 yards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 08/30/18
Nice when you don't have to do a dangerous follow up on game like that!
my civet ain't near as cool as wasps.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 08/31/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 08/31/18

Looking at that mess, I suspect the cause of death is a self inflicted BB gun wound to the head...

[Linked Image]
Hahaha!

The wife's "office".

Trash bag was full of shredded paper.....not garbage.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/01/18

my civet ain't near as cool as wasps.....

[Linked Image]

Uhhh Don, be careful how you twist that Civet Cat’s tail😀
Went out to make sure Muzzleloaders were sighted in for Elk season next week. It was hot..... but I decided to call the first stand of the year.... Crit’R Call PeeWee brought this dog in running.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/02/18
Nice doggy
Another African varmint.
[Linked Image]

What is it? Thanks NC
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/04/18
Northcountry it is a Civet cat. Got him in South Africa this summer.
Posted By: hanco Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/04/18
Got some pigs this weekend

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/04/18
Did you make pork chops?
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/04/18
nice critter's keep up the nice work
Posted By: ranger1 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/04/18
Some coyote killing from last winter - 67 coyotes and two fox in two days off of snowmobile. Fun is an understatement!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VernAK Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/04/18
If you lock up the brake about the time he goes between the skis, it can
be damage the fur smile
These all got the 12 gauge treatment.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/04/18
Originally Posted by ranger1
Some coyote killing from last winter - 67 coyotes and two fox in two days off of snowmobile. Fun is an understatement!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I hope you are proud of yourself, there must be some mama coyotes out there wondering when her pups are coming home...
Haha! I don't discriminate, mamas, papas, young, old, they all add to the fur check.
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/05/18
Originally Posted by ranger1
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Holy shiit!!! Haha that’s layin em low!!! Nice work
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/05/18
awesome!!!
Ranger, excellent!!!
Posted By: ipopum Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 09/15/18
And all of the ranchers are in your debt !
Posted By: JLimbo Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/11/18
Here's one from a little while back.

[Linked Image]
Awwww.....poor puppy was trying to bite his leg off.
I shot a garter snake in the basement yesterday.

Ruger single six with CCI snake shot.

Worked a treat.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/23/18
[Linked Image]
Nice marmot.

Funniest damn thing yesterday.

A muskrat was chasing one of our cow dogs around.

I never did put a round into it as I was too busy laughing.

Mean little devils.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/24/18
I posted these pics in a story on here, but I'll add them to this thread. Once the local Mennonites start setting out snares, I might not kill any more coyotes. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/24/18
Just one or both of those coyotes have mange Huntsman22?
both. one worse than the other
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/25/18
A first for me.
Shot so close my 20 gauge wad was sticking out of his chest.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/25/18
cool fox. worth getting mounted?
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/25/18
Tinman! VERY cool fox! Ive only ever seen one of those!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/25/18
I've seen some that had a lot of black in their coat, but not this much. I was pretty stoked to see him let alone get such a close shot.

He's got the normal thin, summer coat as you can tell by the picture date stamp, so no mount is planned. I do have it skinned and in the freezer though. I may do something with it.
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/25/18
Dandy Fox T. I saw a couple up BC similar, they called em cross Fox. Be worth tannin at least! Good work, your on a roll!! Grin
This mornings deer hunt. 70yds. Seemed healthy and normal, ran over 100 yards after the shot. Had a funny smile though. He had a snare through his mouth. The cable lock kept it loose enough to survive without it cutting into his neck. Other than cutting into the sides of his mouth, which were healed, he seemed to be doing OK.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That one needed put down.

It was merciful.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/26/18
550 yd https://imgur.com/gallery/Q4YBLSf
Posted By: gonzaga Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/26/18
Not sure how to make the picture show up instead of the link....
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/26/18
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It was merciful.

yeah, that's not something you see everyday, for sure. Even a coyote deserves better than that.
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Not sure how to make the picture show up instead of the link....

[img] https://i.imgur.com/vpoJLmz.jpg [/img] but without the spaces

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It was merciful.

yeah, that's not something you see everyday, for sure. Even a coyote deserves better than that.

Yeah. Seems most of the fences around here have snares on the corner post that are there until they rust away. I don't know how he was able to break that cable though.
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 10/26/18
Cool pics kodiak island, thanks for sharing those
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 11/07/18
[Linked Image]free online image upload
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 11/07/18
it was many years ago that I killed a coyote that had a snare around his neck that he had chewed through. Tough suckers....
Coyote on our deer hunt.. 25-06..

[Linked Image]
The coyote [Linked Image]
Posted By: rong Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 11/16/18
WCH gettin it done!!
I consider these to be varmints. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 11/19/18
Had a good day today. Called in 13, killed 10. 2 got left behind with mange. Also was wishing bobcat season was open, but thankfully had a camera handy to capture the "kill". At 25 yards I'm pretty sure it would've been a kill had season been open.
[Linked Image]DSCN1421 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
[Linked Image]DSCN1425 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
[Linked Image]DSCN1431 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Posted By: MERCULA Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 11/19/18
That’s a good looking cat. Nice work on the dogs. I need to get back out. It’s been years.
Lucky son of a gun....................................the cat.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 11/19/18
yes, yes he was.
NICE!!!
Posted By: rong Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 11/20/18
Cool on the kitty,you should have switched the caller over to a howl or something when the cat was near the caller,lol
Originally Posted by gonzaga

[Linked Image]

That’s a good looking call..... I’ve got a few of those.
Posted By: Santiam Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/06/18
Last nights calling success...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/06/18
Originally Posted by Santiam

[Linked Image]

Excellent! On my way to do a bit of that!
Posted By: Santiam Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/06/18
Originally Posted by Santiam

[Linked Image]

Excellent! On my way to do a bit of that!

Good luck and waiting for pics,..
Posted By: VernAK Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/06/18
I've been wanting to get out at night to try for lynx but we still have a few
grizzlies roaming around.
S & W .45 ACP..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/09/18
Doe tag?

laugh
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cinch Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/10/18
[Linked Image]

Nice work... you're gonna talk me into building one of them rifles...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/24/18
[Linked Image]
First stand of the morning, with my 17-204

[Linked Image]
another day

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VernAK Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/25/18
That'd make a nice ruff for your parka!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/25/18
Heres a couple for you. Calling in west Texas last week...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/25/18
And a couple more...two different cats.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and a coyote...one of many.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bbassi Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/25/18
Big Kitty Ingwe!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/25/18
[Linked Image]

A little to close not fur friendly. Rio7
Rio, I think he just lost his appetite!
Posted By: LouisB Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/18
Dang RIO7, just how close was it!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/18
#4 buckshot at about 10' his other side looks real bad. Rio7
Posted By: Cinch Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/18
Originally Posted by RIO7
#4 buckshot at about 10' his other side looks real bad. Rio7

I love #4 buck...
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/18
Here's all mine from this year...
I shot Popeye!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/18
Had to shoot this one, he was getting long in the tooth....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/27/18
Another west texas coyote..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/29/18
[Linked Image]

I'm getting better at talking to females, All Girls , this morning. Rio7
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/29/18
NICE!
Sleepy!

Good pictures fellas.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/31/18
[Linked Image]

2 good sized males and a little bitch, killed one more but didn't pick it up bad mange, This morning. Rio7
Posted By: Cinch Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 12/31/18
Nice work Rio...
Where were you calling this morning, Blue?

I see Bloody Mary is still getting it done!

Ed
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/01/19
If you stay real still they’ll almost get in your lap. 12 paces tonight with Gertrude!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/01/19
Nice Bob!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/01/19
Thanks Poobs! Gonna be deeeeelicious
Excellent!!!!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/01/19
Bob, you and Gerttrude, are badass!! Rio7
Ed, First 3 up in the north west Pasture, 2nd 3 over by the hay field were we killed 1 and I missd 1, remember?? Rio7
Posted By: Owl Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/01/19
[Linked Image]

2 good sized males and a little bitch, killed one more but didn't pick it up bad mange, This morning. Rio7

Blue, I like the orange Pee Wee. I bought 3 of them a few months ago. Need to get out and put them to use.
[Linked Image]

Jeff, the peewee works well for me tooted this cat up this morning. Happy New Year Rio7
Ed, First 3 up in the north west Pasture, 2nd 3 over by the hay field were we killed 1 and I missd 1, remember?? Rio7

I do remember. I think you were shooting a blank round on the one that didn't get hit. There's just no way you could have missed! grin

Ed
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/02/19
Ed, Think I was useing the same ammo that you were useing when you missed that pig that looked like a HIPPO, oh well Chitt happens!
[Linked Image]

I've been seeing this cats tracks on the same road in the same place for about 3 months,when ever I have time I try to call it in, no luck in the past, got this sucker this morning after many try's. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW !!
This might be the smallest and skinnyist coyote I have ever shot, looks like a skinny rat. Rio7

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/02/19
Whats the little orange call?

Do i need one?
This might be the smallest and skinnyist coyote I have ever shot, looks like a skinny rat. Rio7

[Linked Image]

Smaller Target just let's you know your shooting is up to par!!

Do i need one?

critr-call. yes. more than one.... pm dogshooter for them....
Rio, you have been laying them out.. Nice work.. What caliber is that red rifle...????
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/03/19
Wyocoyotehunter, .243 A.I. 105 gr. Scenar H-4350 , around here it's known as Bloody Mary. Rio7
Posted By: Judman Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/03/19
Doin God's work rio!!! Nice work!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/03/19

Do i need one?

critr-call. yes. more than one.... pm dogshooter for them....

Thanks!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/03/19
Filled up the back porch this morning so i went home. Rio7

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rhettsker Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/03/19
Rio,

Congrats--thats really a nice combo platter for a morning's work. So glad I am moving to Texas.
R
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/03/19
now that is a beast of a ham right there.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 2018 Dead Critter thread - 01/05/19
[Linked Image]

Bumped into these 2 males this morning hunting over were we burned yesterday. Rio7
© 24hourcampfire