Home
Posted By: BigDaddyK Lets talk Squirrels - 06/19/08
I went one time last season. Took my youngest 6 for the early youth opener.
He has a little Remington (Spartan) 410 and can shoot it pretty good at squirrels, rabbits and such. We have lots of guns for when he is ready to move up to a 20 etc.

I have a neat little 10/22 delux with a 4x 22 mag scope. I need the semi on those east texas cat squirrels:) Plus it's accurate enough to shoot a pig in the ear if we see one while squirrel hunting.

Anybody else Jonesing for some hunting and cool weather???
Posted By: Swift Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/20/08
Keep taking the little man BDK! The boy and I just got permission to another 300+ acres to squirrel/rabbit hunt.
Posted By: leomort Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/20/08
I love squirrel hunting. Thinking of trying some subsonic hp on them. Looking at using either Rem subsonic hp or CCI subsonic hp (if I can find them). For some reason, I always end up taking the 12ga, going to try with rimfire if I can.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/20/08
I love squirrel hunting also. I usually take somewhere between 60 - 100 per year. Normally with a .22LR rifle, some with a .22 handgun too. This has the makings of a really good squirrel hunting year in my Missouri Ozark area. Plenty of rain, my hickory trees are beginning to show lots of mast on them. I'm also seeing a lot of young squirrels right now. Should be a good fall!
Posted By: olhippie Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/20/08
....Toss a good squirrel dog in the mix and you'll increase your enjoyment/exercise while walking the Forest, and fatten your game bag too!

....Try Wolf .22 Long Rifle "Match Target" ammo. It is considerably less costly than my previous pick (Remington/Eley club extra),is very quiet like sub-sonic stuff, and has proven itself the most accurate ammo I've used in MOST EVERY gun I own! My two Kimbers (model 82 by Kimber of Oregon, and a hunter model out of Kimber of America), my Remington 541T, My Norinco 522, My CZ452's, and my H&K model 270 auto loader, all shoot the Wolf ammo into 1/2" or less @ 50 yds. when I do my part. Give it a try...
Posted By: Hugh Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/20/08
Im thinking Samitches just like pulled pork made same way .sauce running running down your arm onions pickles on top a lot of pepper. lets go hunting.Im hungry.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/20/08
I'll second using WMT ammo for squirrel hunting. It is very accurate in my Kimber Hunter and works quite well on gray squirrels. The mast crop in my area is looking very promising and I'm seeing lots of squirrels. I can't wait until the last Saturday in August when squirrel season opens in Tennessee.
Posted By: leomort Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/21/08
Wolfe Match Target ammo shots well in my rimfire as well. The "subsonic hp" ammo that I mention above is merely standard velocity ammo like Wolf MT, except its hollow point.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/21/08
I shot my first southern (Alabama) fox sqirrel last year from a treestand with a crossbow. It was the funniest thing. About a 15 to 20 yard shot with a fixed blade broad head. Shot went right through the vitals and the squirrel ran about 20 yards, slowed to a stop and then just slumped flat on a log. Literally left a blood trail the whole way. It was like a miniature scenario of taking a deer with an arrow. Marinated it for a couple of days in Dizzy Pig seasonings and then grilled over hardwood lump charcoal at about 375'. Best squirrel I've had in years.
I bet hunting squirrel with a bow would be challenging!
Posted By: MOGC Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/21/08
I've bowhunted squirrels intentionally with good results. When the population of squirrels is high it is a real hoot! I really, really, like an accurate .22LR handgun though. That is the most fun for me personally. That or my old Marlin M39A with aperture sight. That lever action .22 is a natural in the squirrel timber. But I've used everthing from full choke .12 ga. with high base field loads, various handguns, open sighted rimfire rifles, plenty of scoped .22's, all the way to the compound bow. I just like squirrel huntin'... smile
I'd likely starve if'n shootin' a .22lr handgun. Anything squirrel outside 15yards is safe from me smile
Posted By: BigDaddyK Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/22/08
Now that you mentioned it I have been seeing a lot of squirrels lately.
We've had bucoux rain so far this year so hopefully we will have a good squirrel population.
I like squirrel so much I can smell them when they're close.
We had a little rat squirrel dog named Tip when I was a kid. That do loved to hunt squirrel. too many no tresspassing signs now days to hunt with a dog around here:(
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/23/08
Squirrel hunting is great for a rifleman. It requires rifle accuracy with a woodsman's knowledge of game. Or, it can teach these skills through experience to new hunters.

One of my favorite squirrel hunts is to wet wade in a stream that goes through good squirrel territory in the early fall when there are a lot of leaves on the ground. You can move silently when everything else makes a lot of noise, including the squirrels. Take head shots using sub-sonic 22RF ammo, have a helluva good time, and get some very tasty meat, all at a great time of the year.

Sadly, squirrel hunting seems to be in a decline, probably because of an abundance of deer. Too bad. A lot of people are missing out on a rewarding hunting experience.

Steve

Posted By: leomort Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/23/08
Too bad?? Heck I think its great, it leaves more squirrels for the rest of us wink wink
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/28/08
I used to squirrel hunt like it was a religion, now a days I find I spend most of my time and attention toward deer hunting, which is a good thing, but I do still get out only not as often.
I actually spend my time hunting squirrels after deer season is over.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/29/08
I didn't take a single squirrel last season. We had a mast failure a couple of years ago and the population bottomed out. It looks like it is rebounding right now, so I plan to be in the woods with my Remington 581L this fall. I shoot Rem Subsonics with good success. I typically do my deer scouting by squirrel hunting the same areas I deer hunt.

Leon
Posted By: leomort Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/29/08
Leon,

I'm thinking of using Rem subsonics for next squirrel season. How do you like the Rem subs? How you sighted in? I too like using squirrel hunting as my preseason scouting for deer.

Leo
Posted By: BigDaddyK Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/30/08
Will subs work in a 10/22?

I put a scope on my Marling 39 lever 22. Its MOcritter at 50ish I guess but could be tighter. I was using a mix of win and remington 550s so it wasnt the best ammo to use. I got it close but will dial it in when I get some better ammo.

My 10/22 likes cci standard velocity. Cantc stand the mini mags.

Gonna try some mini mags in the marling as well as the subs and standard.

I better take this to the rimfire page.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/30/08
Yes, they will work fine in the 10/22. Try them. Try them, as well, in the 39. Also, run the SGBs. I've found both to be rather consistently VERY accurate in everything I've tried them in.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/30/08
I likewise have and hunt with a Rem 581L. Had the barrel cut down to 21" and re-crowned. Get 5 shot 2/3" groups on most days at 50yds with the Rem Sub-Sonics. The low noise factor tends not to spook the squirrels too badly, if at all. Terminal performance is excellent.

Got some SGBs from VAnimrod and they were quite accurate in my CZ 452. Plan to try them out on squirrels and Prairie Dogs this Fall. The blunt bullet on the SGBs looks pretty impressive, and I guessing the PDs will be equally impressed.

Steve
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/30/08
I sight dead on at 25 yds. That gives a point blank range of 50-60 yds. The Subsonics shoot well out of both my 10/22s also. I like the combination of the quiet and the effectiveness of a hollow point. I used to shoot match ammo until I found the Subsonics, but I occasionally lost a squirrel due to lack of shocking power.

Leon
Posted By: leomort Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/30/08
Leon, Thanks for the feedback. Also read CCI subsonics are also suppose to have good performance.

Sean, what are SGBs?

Leo
Posted By: BigDaddyK Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/30/08
Small Game Bullet. I didnt know either until this thread.
Posted By: leomort Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 06/30/08
Thanks, BigDaddyK!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/01/08
Guys, take it from experiance.....while the subsonics are super accurate, and quiet, as far as performance on squirrels I found them to be miserable as far as killing power.
Trust me I've used them quite a bit and after having a 50/50 chance of recovering a shot squirrel I wont ever go back to them again.
Maybe it was the ones I was using (CCI subsonics) I dont know but I shoot for the eyes on squirrels, while I dont always hit the eye I always do hit the head and after having more than 1 squirrel fall out of the tree and thinking it was stone dead only to reach down and pick it up only for the stupid thing to run off with me in chase. mad
I even had a squirrel in my backpack for a few hours one day, when I pulled him out with the others to clean them 1 was still alive (I was shocked......he had a hole right in his cheek under his eye) anyway he took off running/falling until I gave chase and stomped him to death.
Like I was saying I am not impressed with the subs killing power so I went back to the trusty CCI stingers, they got the job done.
Now I went even further and got a .17hm2 now thats a squirrel cartridge if there ever was one.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/01/08
Your experience mirrors mine with subsonic soft points, but with the Remington Subsonic hollow points I have had excellent results. They shoot accurately in my three rimfire rifles and are relatively cheap to boot. I buy them by the brick.

Leon
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/02/08
Y'all must have some damned tough squirrels. LR subsonics are my "heavy artillery" as - generally use CB shorts. Can't recall the last time I lost one either.

Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/04/08
Maybe you are just a better shot than I am. grin I need a little margin for error.

Leon

Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/06/08
Good idea on wading a stream when squirrel hunting. Sounds like it couldn't help but work.

Started on squirrels when I was 12 years old in 1955 with my first real gun, a Remington 511. Got a Weaver B4 scope for Christmas and I was set.

I always liked to hunt after a rain when the leaves were still on the trees. You could move quietly without much effort but you could hear the squirrels jumping from tree to tree a long way off. Once the leaves were down it was find a stand and wait a while.

The only sqirrel hunting I've done lately is in my back yard. My Lab watches the bird feeder through the screen door. When the squirrels come in to raid the feeder she starts whining. I get the Daisey Red Ryder, turn her loose and the race is on. I'm not trying to kill them. Don't think a BB gun could do it anyway, squirrels are tough but it's fun to hear them cuss and watch the dog try to climb a tree.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/10/08
O.k., here's the real test of who's a "real authentic quirrel hunter". Who here eats the heads. smile When growing up I can remember my parents cooking the whole thing, head and all. I remember eating the brains and toungue. My uncles tell me of times growning up when all my mom's siblings fought over who got the heads. Now a days that sounds a bit extreeme. I'm wondering if anybody out there still eats the heads. I would but my wife would absolutely throw a fit so it's not worth the battle, if you know what I mean.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/10/08
My great granny liked squirrel brains. She could flat climb a tree.

Posted By: pmd Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/10/08
The best memories I have are from back in the 50's, with my dad, in the woods hunting squirrels. I started out with a single shot Marlin & .22 shorts. Back then we even had enough to sell the tails to Mepps.

On my 16th birthday we shot 16 squirrels which was the limit back then. That night we had squirrel for supper. What an exciting day & memory for me.

Just about every place I used to hunt has now been cleared & plowed under for intensive agriculture, or has a house & hobby farm on it.

When I do go I use a Winchester mod 623 with CCI .22 LR Standard Velocity. That combination does a good job on squirrels & rabbits.

I am going to buy a single shot Henry Cricket to star my grandsons on squirrel hunting. I can't wait until they are old enough.
Posted By: BigDaddyK Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/11/08
Originally Posted by pillpeddler
O.k., here's the real test of who's a "real authentic quirrel hunter". Who here eats the heads. smile When growing up I can remember my parents cooking the whole thing, head and all. I remember eating the brains and toungue. My uncles tell me of times growning up when all my mom's siblings fought over who got the heads. Now a days that sounds a bit extreeme. I'm wondering if anybody out there still eats the heads. I would but my wife would absolutely throw a fit so it's not worth the battle, if you know what I mean.

Afraid of mad squirrel disease???

Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/16/08
Not any more..., don't eat the heads these days. smile
Posted By: yeselk Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/18/08
I used to eat the heads at a buddy's house. The cheek muscles are really good as is the tounge. I didn't like the brains. they tasted like squirrel paste. I haven't thought about it in many years. He could fry a mean squirrel. We had a lot of fun hunting them too. I sure wish he was still with us.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/21/08
I have ate them sience I was born ,maby thats what is wrong with me.what are the symptions.? bad spelling I bet grin
Posted By: Otis Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/22/08
I have been logging on your forum now for a couple of days, as I don't have much to do here in Iraq. I saw this topic and said, "That is something I know a little about". I have hunted squirrels as long as I can remember. My family has always carried a Savage M24 or a 22/410 Stevens. I have both, my favorite is the 22/410. I bought one at the big Tulsa gunshow in Nov. last year and took it home. The next day killed 5, 3 greys amd 2 fox. Turned the foxes into squirrel and dumplins. My little city slicker wife was picking through them and asked, "Wheres the white meat" HA. I did have an Uncle who liked squirrel brains and scrambled eggs for breakfast. I just used Remington standard velosity LR. The ones that are kind of greenish in color.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/26/08
My back yard is 3/4 acre and heavily wooded. The squirrels are over running the place.
When their numbers get out of hand, I thin the herd. Most of the time its with a Remington 521t and CB longs.
Posted By: RWL99 Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/27/08
Nothin better than a pan full of tender young squirrel.

[Linked Image]

Don't forget the gravy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/28/08
My family used to be squirrel hunting fanatics......killed more than 200 each year. We used to cut off the heads when cleaning squirrels and put them into a bread sack in the freezer. Once we's accumilated a couple of sacks full.....we'd have a meal of squirrel heads. Imagine 5 or 6 peolpe sitting around the table with butter knives held by the blade.......all you'd hear was "crack!....sluuuurp......Mmmmmmmm"

That's one of the main reasons we took so long to transition from shotguns to .22 rifles.......shooting a squirrel in the head with a .22 pretty much ends the idea of a squirrel-head feast.
Posted By: Otis Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/28/08
That does look good. I always make gravy with my grease and left over flour too. Also, never use anything but cast iron to cook squirrels in, its just so right! Looks like supper!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/28/08
My oh My!!
Posted By: bulbboy Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/29/08
Recipe for your squirrels?? Anyone??

Posted By: yeselk Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/29/08
Squirrel and noodles is good. Just make them like chicken and noodles. Good place to use the old tough ones.
Posted By: blammer Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/30/08
I like the Remington golden bullet or the Winchester 40gr HP power point bullet for good kills.

Pan o squirrel looks good!

What technique do you use to get the meat tender?

Seems everytime I pan fry em they are like rubber.

What temp do you cook em at? How long? covered, uncovered? etc... thanks
Posted By: MOGC Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/30/08
FYI... the squirrels here in the Ozark's are just now taste testing the hickory nuts. They aren't quite ready yet, but I'm finding them nibbled on in the back yard. Another 2-3 weeks and they'll be on them in earnest.
Posted By: Otis Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/31/08
We only fry the young ones, and after we fry them, Momma always put the fried pieces in a glass casaroll dish in the oven with just the smallest amount of water in the bottom. Lets it cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes and the steam from the water tenderises it perfect. Just one way of doing it. Does rabbits same way. Freash biscuts and grease gravy, green beans with a strap of bacon. Honey and butter with hot biscuts for dessert! Now thats a hillbilly feast!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 07/31/08
Stop it! grin I'm getting hungry and squirrel season starts in 15 days.
Posted By: leomort Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/01/08
Tom264,

Lucky dog to have your squirrel season so early. Our doesn't start until mid-Oct usually.

Leo
Posted By: MOGC Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/01/08
Missouri's season runs from the Saturday of Memorial weekend until the following February 15th. So it is only closed a few months. Our limit here is six per day.
Posted By: Otis Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/01/08
I'll miss squirrel opener in AR.; we live in the Ouachita Mtns. I have 40 acers of hardwoods that is my backyard. Nobody but me hunts it, since the boy left for the Marine Corps. I will home Dec. 8th or 9th, depending on how long it takes to get out of Kuwait, get over my jet lag and me and Angel going to go get Momma some squirrels to cook. Angel is my little 1/2 Jack Russel, 1/2 Feist squirrel dog, and Baby Sister is 1/2 Boston Terr., 1/2 Pit Bull Terr. She only got three legs, I carry her when she gets to tired, when Angel strikes, she out of the bag and on the tree! Our season goes from mid Sept. to the end of Feb. also. Be thinking about you boys out there having fun, I'll get mine soon, signing out, Otis.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/06/08
Originally Posted by MOGC
Missouri's season runs from the Saturday of Memorial weekend until the following February 15th. So it is only closed a few months. Our limit here is six per day.

Yep, I grew up there and that's one of the things I miss about it. Here in Alabama sqirrel season doesn't open up till two weeks before bow season in mid October. In the past, I couldn't justify hunting squirrels when I could be hunting deer. Now, as I'm aging, I'm almost to the point where I'd just as soon squirrel hunt with a buddy as I would deer hunt.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/06/08
I always waited for the first freeze which use to occur in late September, but the weather has been changing the past 30 years or so... and the first freeze here in south-western Ohio occurs in mid-to-late October now rather than late September like it did was I was a teenager.

I didn't like the spider webs and ticks... that's why I always waited until the first freeze eliminated them.

I always liked squirrel hunting... it's a lot like hunting deer from a "stand"... and it's very relaxing to boot. There's nothing like being in a good squirrel woods on a frosty Autumn dawn... it's like the Opening Day of Deer Season. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: BradArnett Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/10/08
This post is making me hungry just thinking about them!!! I like to get after them once deer season is over and usually give them a pretty working over.

Last year my brother and I hung up the scoped 22's and broke out the blackpowder. I'm in the process of finishing up a custom home/built .32 cal flintlock for the little guys this season. I can't wait!!!

This was the pile of parts I started with. It still isn't done and has been alot of work, but a pretty satisfying project to undertake.

[Linked Image]

Couple pics from last winter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDaddyK Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/11/08
Nice. Are you shooting round ball?

How many grains of BP for a 36 rifle?
Posted By: BradArnett Re: Lets talk Squirrels - 08/11/08
Yes sir, patched RB's. I dont' know about the 36, both the one I'm building and the other one that's pictured are .32 cal. Running 25gr of FFF Goex Blackpowder with that one.
© 24hourcampfire