Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My family used to be squirrel hunting fanatics......killed more than 200 each year. We used to cut off the heads when cleaning squirrels and put them into a bread sack in the freezer. Once we's accumilated a couple of sacks full.....we'd have a meal of squirrel heads. Imagine 5 or 6 peolpe sitting around the table with butter knives held by the blade.......all you'd hear was "crack!....sluuuurp......Mmmmmmmm"

That's one of the main reasons we took so long to transition from shotguns to .22 rifles.......shooting a squirrel in the head with a .22 pretty much ends the idea of a squirrel-head feast.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That does look good. I always make gravy with my grease and left over flour too. Also, never use anything but cast iron to cook squirrels in, its just so right! Looks like supper!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
My oh My!!

Sam......

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Recipe for your squirrels?? Anyone??

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Squirrel and noodles is good. Just make them like chicken and noodles. Good place to use the old tough ones.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like the Remington golden bullet or the Winchester 40gr HP power point bullet for good kills.

Pan o squirrel looks good!

What technique do you use to get the meat tender?

Seems everytime I pan fry em they are like rubber.

What temp do you cook em at? How long? covered, uncovered? etc... thanks

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FYI... the squirrels here in the Ozark's are just now taste testing the hickory nuts. They aren't quite ready yet, but I'm finding them nibbled on in the back yard. Another 2-3 weeks and they'll be on them in earnest.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We only fry the young ones, and after we fry them, Momma always put the fried pieces in a glass casaroll dish in the oven with just the smallest amount of water in the bottom. Lets it cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes and the steam from the water tenderises it perfect. Just one way of doing it. Does rabbits same way. Freash biscuts and grease gravy, green beans with a strap of bacon. Honey and butter with hot biscuts for dessert! Now thats a hillbilly feast!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Stop it! grin I'm getting hungry and squirrel season starts in 15 days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tom264,

Lucky dog to have your squirrel season so early. Our doesn't start until mid-Oct usually.

Leo

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Missouri's season runs from the Saturday of Memorial weekend until the following February 15th. So it is only closed a few months. Our limit here is six per day.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'll miss squirrel opener in AR.; we live in the Ouachita Mtns. I have 40 acers of hardwoods that is my backyard. Nobody but me hunts it, since the boy left for the Marine Corps. I will home Dec. 8th or 9th, depending on how long it takes to get out of Kuwait, get over my jet lag and me and Angel going to go get Momma some squirrels to cook. Angel is my little 1/2 Jack Russel, 1/2 Feist squirrel dog, and Baby Sister is 1/2 Boston Terr., 1/2 Pit Bull Terr. She only got three legs, I carry her when she gets to tired, when Angel strikes, she out of the bag and on the tree! Our season goes from mid Sept. to the end of Feb. also. Be thinking about you boys out there having fun, I'll get mine soon, signing out, Otis.

Semper Fi USMC/0331
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Missouri's season runs from the Saturday of Memorial weekend until the following February 15th. So it is only closed a few months. Our limit here is six per day.

Yep, I grew up there and that's one of the things I miss about it. Here in Alabama sqirrel season doesn't open up till two weeks before bow season in mid October. In the past, I couldn't justify hunting squirrels when I could be hunting deer. Now, as I'm aging, I'm almost to the point where I'd just as soon squirrel hunt with a buddy as I would deer hunt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I always waited for the first freeze which use to occur in late September, but the weather has been changing the past 30 years or so... and the first freeze here in south-western Ohio occurs in mid-to-late October now rather than late September like it did was I was a teenager.

I didn't like the spider webs and ticks... that's why I always waited until the first freeze eliminated them.

I always liked squirrel hunting... it's a lot like hunting deer from a "stand"... and it's very relaxing to boot. There's nothing like being in a good squirrel woods on a frosty Autumn dawn... it's like the Opening Day of Deer Season. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This post is making me hungry just thinking about them!!! I like to get after them once deer season is over and usually give them a pretty working over.

Last year my brother and I hung up the scoped 22's and broke out the blackpowder. I'm in the process of finishing up a custom home/built .32 cal flintlock for the little guys this season. I can't wait!!!

This was the pile of parts I started with. It still isn't done and has been alot of work, but a pretty satisfying project to undertake.

[Linked Image]

Couple pics from last winter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Nice. Are you shooting round ball?

How many grains of BP for a 36 rifle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes sir, patched RB's. I dont' know about the 36, both the one I'm building and the other one that's pictured are .32 cal. Running 25gr of FFF Goex Blackpowder with that one.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (2alphas2, 163bc, 257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,334
Posts18,505,991
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.