Home
Posted By: Milwroad Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
New to muzzleloaders and I have a question. After a thorough cleaning and before you set the rifle aside for a few months do you put anti-seize on the breech plug threads or is it best to leave the threads dry until you use it again and then apply anti-seize at that time. In other words, is there a downside to putting anti seize on the breech plug threads before storing the gun for an extended period? Thanks
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
Yep
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
No help for your question unfortunately. I have a related question though. Most shooters that shoot old ML's and or traditional copies never ever remove the breech plugs, it's like a root canal...avoid it if you possibly can. Yet modern inline type guns, it seems a fairly regular thing, judging by the number of questions and problems posted here and elsewhere. Why is that?
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
Blue or yellow PTFE thread tape. Works. One roll for under 5 bucks maybe, lifetime supply.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Blue or yellow PTFE thread tape. Works. One roll for under 5 bucks maybe, lifetime supply.

Nah, 1 tube has lasted 20+ years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
I never put an inline breech plug back in with out some kind of anti- seize.

Calplocks,I remove nipple when cleaning ,clean, dry and then apply grease or oil on the threads
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
Grease it or leave it out, or both if you’re not prone to losing stuff.

The Knight brand is good, but looks just like the choke tube grease several places sell.

Avoid any anti-seize that has metal in it. Had a near miss with some on a choke tube; started to rust😱
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
I leave it out till next season. No sense putting it back in as I clean out the barrel before checking the sight in.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
Lot of high pressure/high heat/corrosion susceptible parts on your truck (o2 sensor, spark plugs) spend their entire lives with their threads coated in anti-seize. I keep my breech plugs coated with the stuff and never had an issue, even on guns that were left to sit for ten years.

I see the logic for leaving the breech plug out but I'd worry it would get misplaced.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/03/23
I use white grease on my breech plugs and choke tubes. Never stuck either
Posted By: blairvt Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/04/23
I use plain old axle grease. Just a dab and never a problem.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/04/23
Any good synthetic grease will work - if you have a reason to keep a grease gun around, a dab from that will work.

If not, a small tube of MZ branded grease will last you several years at least.

Majority of my plugs sit in the rifle through most of the year, then get a range session, shot and hunted with over a three day weekend, then cleaned and stored again - the grease protects the threads, and they’ll spin out next year.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by Nessmuk

I use the yellow tape. Easy and works great. I leave the plug in after cleaning
I like, and use, the Birchwood Casey choke tube lube. But it's amazing, that from one little dab of it on my finger, ends up on so many other places besides the breach plug/choke tube threads!
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/04/23
I wouldn't put it in dry or you might not be able to get it back out. I've been using this Traditions Breach Plug Anti Seize stick for the past few years on my breech plugs and choke tubes. I've never seen any corrosion or never heard of that happening. Ya learn something new every day. This stuff is like a Chap Stick stick and it's easy to use with no mess. You just rub it on the threads, no fuss, no muss.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/traditions-anti-seize-breech-plug-grease-stick
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I like, and use, the Birchwood Casey choke tube lube. But it's amazing, that from one little dab of it on my finger, ends up on so many other places besides the breach plug/choke tube threads!

That’s what Q-tips are for. 😁
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/04/23
Gorilla Grease and store with it on
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/05/23
Been using Crisco for years, decades actually.
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/05/23
Bolt lube works fine and it's always in the cleaning kit.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/05/23
https://www.super-lube.com/food-grade-anti-seize-with-syncolon-ptfe
Posted By: Dinny Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/06/23
I use grease but don't store the ML with the plug inside. Instead I keep the plug stored in my ML range box inside a plastic tube that machine tools come in.
Put the breechplug in a fold sandwich baggie - then poke a hole thru it and hang it from the end of the ramrod, until you are ready to remove the ML from the gun safe and go either hunting or to the range.

Then grease the breechplug threads and screw it back in. I currently use Gorilla Grease.
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/13/23
I leave mine out during the ‘off season’, cleaned & lubed. If worried about losing it, put in loosely.

Besides talking about the best thread lube for breech plugs, then need to be removed routinely. If left in tight for an extended period, anything can happen.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/13/23
Back to my original question on pg 1...why do modern muzz loaders need to pull the breech plug? Is it the fuel? The priming? Stainless steel construction?
I have several sidelock ML's of varied ages. one is 165 yrs old...never had a breechplug out yet. ???
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/13/23
I leave my plug out when storing the rifle
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/13/23
I never put any lube on a breechplug, nothing and it stays in the gun all year. I used to use lube and it just to make them tighter
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/14/23
I have an Omega, the gun sits in a corner for a day or so without the plug until
I'm certain it's dry. The plug gets a bit of anti size and turned it a couple threads.
The breech block will not close with it like that, so no worry about safety.
That's how it goes in the safe.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/14/23
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Back to my original question on pg 1...why do modern muzz loaders need to pull the breech plug? Is it the fuel? The priming? Stainless steel construction?
I have several sidelock ML's of varied ages. one is 165 yrs old...never had a breechplug out yet. ???

Your side lock guns have a huge flash hole compared to an inline.
Rarely remove the flintlock's.
Always the Omega. Plus it makes it easier to clean, It's an open pipe.
Posted By: shootem Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/14/23
Originally Posted by Milwroad
New to muzzleloaders and I have a question. After a thorough cleaning and before you set the rifle aside for a few months do you put anti-seize on the breech plug threads or is it best to leave the threads dry until you use it again and then apply anti-seize at that time. In other words, is there a downside to putting anti seize on the breech plug threads before storing the gun for an extended period? Thanks

If i always put the breech plug back in the barrel I’m always sure where it is. And if I have the rifle I have the plug. I don’t make it shooting tight, just tight enough to be secure. Don’t know if any down side to having anti seize agent on the threads so I use it.
Posted By: shootem Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/14/23
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I pull the breech plug for ease of cleaning both the barrel and the plug. I use BH209 with a CVA BH209 Breech Plug and it gets really dirty in the flash channel and flash hole. I have read the cause of the slag accumulation as being the shotgun primers. Apparently they use a large volume of some nasty stuff. After having a hang fire during a shooting session I now clean the flash channel and flash hole routinely.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Breech plug anti-seize - 01/15/23
For better cleaning.
I stand by my advice of gas line ptfe tape.
© 24hourcampfire