Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use grease but don't store the ML with the plug inside. Instead I keep the plug stored in my ML range box inside a plastic tube that machine tools come in.

Medics bury their mistakes..
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Put the breechplug in a fold sandwich baggie - then poke a hole thru it and hang it from the end of the ramrod, until you are ready to remove the ML from the gun safe and go either hunting or to the range.

Then grease the breechplug threads and screw it back in. I currently use Gorilla Grease.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I leave mine out during the ‘off season’, cleaned & lubed. If worried about losing it, put in loosely.

Besides talking about the best thread lube for breech plugs, then need to be removed routinely. If left in tight for an extended period, anything can happen.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Back to my original question on pg 1...why do modern muzz loaders need to pull the breech plug? Is it the fuel? The priming? Stainless steel construction?
I have several sidelock ML's of varied ages. one is 165 yrs old...never had a breechplug out yet. ???

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I leave my plug out when storing the rifle

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never put any lube on a breechplug, nothing and it stays in the gun all year. I used to use lube and it just to make them tighter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an Omega, the gun sits in a corner for a day or so without the plug until
I'm certain it's dry. The plug gets a bit of anti size and turned it a couple threads.
The breech block will not close with it like that, so no worry about safety.
That's how it goes in the safe.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Back to my original question on pg 1...why do modern muzz loaders need to pull the breech plug? Is it the fuel? The priming? Stainless steel construction?
I have several sidelock ML's of varied ages. one is 165 yrs old...never had a breechplug out yet. ???

Your side lock guns have a huge flash hole compared to an inline.
Rarely remove the flintlock's.
Always the Omega. Plus it makes it easier to clean, It's an open pipe.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Milwroad
New to muzzleloaders and I have a question. After a thorough cleaning and before you set the rifle aside for a few months do you put anti-seize on the breech plug threads or is it best to leave the threads dry until you use it again and then apply anti-seize at that time. In other words, is there a downside to putting anti seize on the breech plug threads before storing the gun for an extended period? Thanks

If i always put the breech plug back in the barrel I’m always sure where it is. And if I have the rifle I have the plug. I don’t make it shooting tight, just tight enough to be secure. Don’t know if any down side to having anti seize agent on the threads so I use it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I pull the breech plug for ease of cleaning both the barrel and the plug. I use BH209 with a CVA BH209 Breech Plug and it gets really dirty in the flash channel and flash hole. I have read the cause of the slag accumulation as being the shotgun primers. Apparently they use a large volume of some nasty stuff. After having a hang fire during a shooting session I now clean the flash channel and flash hole routinely.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For better cleaning.
I stand by my advice of gas line ptfe tape.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, bapple, 12 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,054
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.