Home
Posted By: Stihl27 Always wanted to - 05/29/21
I’ve always wanted to go to Alaska to fish and hunt moose. What’s everyone’s experience with this?
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Always wanted to - 05/29/21

I've been up that way four times flyfishing for trout and salmon. Always had a blast! I'd love to do a moose hunt up there, but at 64y/o, a solo DYI is now in my rear view, and an outfitted hunt is way above my pay grade.
Posted By: las Re: Always wanted to - 05/29/21
I did. 1968. Still here! smile
Posted By: JeffP Re: Always wanted to - 05/29/21
You can just dream of doing it, and dying with regret.
Or actually go.
I have done 7 DIY bou and moose hunts.
And a guided sheep hunt.
No regrets here
Posted By: dale06 Re: Always wanted to - 06/07/21
Been there fishing couple times. Caught some salmon and halibut. Fishing was fair, We salmon fished in a river and the fish were just staring to come in. We were probably a week early or the salmon a week late.
Went bowhunting three years ago, with a supposed good moose outfitter. Two of us went. Neither of us got a shot, big disappointment. Could have killed one with a rifle.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Always wanted to - 06/07/21
I'm on a pretty tight budget but still managed to save enough money to go on two guided moose hunts in AK. so far. Killed a 65" the first trip and a 53" the second trip which was a float hunt.

If a guy really wants to go he'll find a way to save enough money to go. If he doesn't really want to go, he'll find ways to spend the savings before ever going.
Posted By: KC Re: Always wanted to - 06/08/21
Alaska is a place where dreams come true.

I climbed Mount McKinley (when it was still called that) three times. Adventures that I will never forget.

[Linked Image]

And I've gone hunting nine times. All DIY hunts and wouldn't trade the adventures for anything. Always took fishing gear too.

[Linked Image]

But as mentioned previously, I'm now 73. DIY moose hunts are no longer feasible and I can't afford $20,000 for a guided hunt.

I would love to hunt mountain goats on Kodiak. But that too is out of reach since a nonresident has to hire a guide.

I could still probably make a DIY caribou hunt work. If you are still young enough to make a DIY caribou hunt work, you should go while you can. After you've done that, you will be hooked and more DIY hunts will follow.

[Linked Image]

Send me a PM if you want tips for nonresident DIY hunting in AK. I've written an article that might be useful.

Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Always wanted to - 06/10/21
My experience with Alaska and specifically Alaskan DIY fishing and hunting trips have been awesome! The only regret I’ve had is that I’ve had to leave that magnificent state. I regretted leaving every single time and eventually, after having investigated around 20 “cities”, towns and villages between my wife and I we decided to buy property in Southeast in the hopes that someday we won’t have to leave.

You won’t regret going. The sooner you get your first Alaskan DIY hunting/fishing adventure under your belt the faster you can get back up there and the more adventures you’ll be able to look back on. 👍
Posted By: VernAK Re: Always wanted to - 06/10/21
Git er done!

The new Interior Secretary and the proposed BLM Manager are not friendly toward out of area hunters and non-native hunters.
The Feds own 60% of the land in Alaska and are trying to lock out many of us.

Our own Lisa Murkowski will side with the natives.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Always wanted to - 06/15/21
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I'm on a pretty tight budget but still managed to save enough money to go on two guided moose hunts in AK. so far. Killed a 65" the first trip and a 53" the second trip which was a float hunt.

If a guy really wants to go he'll find a way to save enough money to
go.
If he doesn't really want to go, he'll find ways to spend the savings before ever going.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
© 24hourcampfire