Home
Posted By: wabigoon Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22
Eggs are high priced, Cabbages grow well.

Ice is cheap.

Any more?
Posted By: OGB Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22
Is this for alaskans to answer or can people from "downstairs" chime in?
The more, the merrier.
Born and raised in Wisconsin where we claim the mosquito as the state bird, live in coastal Carolina where mosquitoes and sand flees will gnaw your skin right off but....
The flys and mosquitoes in AK are straight out of the Plastocien era!
Originally Posted by OGB

The flys and mosquitoes in AK are straight out of the Plastocien era!

The first time I saw an Alaskan mosquito land on a patch of snow, and then take off like it was nothing, well I knew that it was a different ball game up here.

I would say that expensive milk/fruits and vegetables holds true:

Kids are tougher than the lower 48.(my third graders are happy t go oh to recess at -20).

Hunting is basically universally considered a respectable practice. For example: if you take your kids hunting, you are considering a good parent. I grew up in California and the exact opposite was true. And in California, if people know that you expose your kids to hunting , they will often think of you as a miscreant.
We aren't all [bleep]

Not all of us

No, I don't live in an igloo . . .

. . . but I do have a pet polar bear
Son il law went to Alaska for summer camp.

He said they insulate basements to keep the house from sinking in the permafrost.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22
I spent six weeks in Alaska a couple summers ago, put 5,000 miles on my rental car, different direction/trip every day. My observation is that Alaska is a hard place, like Montana without the luxury and polish. It's not for the faint of heart if you're in it for the long haul. Most residents I observed, with the exception of the natives, were hard workers, many with side hustles to make ends meet and have a quality of life worth the hardship. Seemed most were out and about after work making the most of the long summer days, knowing that they'd pay it back when the long winter nights settle in for good. In as much as Alaska has wild game and tags are affordable for locals, it takes boats, ATVs and planes to make the most of it and lots of time and money. It may be the last real frontier in the US but it's a rough existence. Much respect for those who make a life there!
Posted By: JeffA Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22
You musta covered ever road in the state 3 or 4 times.
For the wimmen folk, "the odds are good but the goods are odd"
Clarify please.

Are these truths, falsehoods, or misunderstandings.

I'd bet good money every one of the OP's are true.

And false.

Depending on location.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22
Originally Posted by John_Havard

That quote actually works in both directions John.
Originally Posted by cwh2

So true.

Another one that I don't like because it targets only a few Alaskan wimmen: "How do you tell the difference between a beached whale and an Alaskan woman? Answer: the whale isn't wearing a flannel shirt."

At least most Alaskan men aren't girly boys:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22

So true.

Another one that I don't like because it targets only a few Alaskan wimmen: "How do you tell the difference between a beached whale and an Alaskan woman? Answer: the whale isn't wearing a flannel shirt."

that looks like a drag queen

So true.

Pirate boots, bold.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22
Originally Posted by JeffA

We stayed near Palmer most of the time with overnights to Homer and Fairbanks and East to Glennallen. We literally ran out of new places to go within a couple hours of our base, we did go to Anchorage weekly for a Costco run and a few redundant trips. Many trips to Hatcher Pass and local hiking areas.

You don’t lose your woman, you lose your turn.
When it’s said that the mosquitoes are deadly, it’s not always a figure of speech.
That Alaskans are better than you.
Originally Posted by 907brass
That Alaskans are better than you.

That one is true.
😉
Posted By: 1minute Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/11/22
The mosquitos and white sox can eat you here or take you home.

My good friend David Powers wrote that line on my boat In Kodiak. Alaska Serigraphics is his business.
Anyone have an Inuksuk?
Anyone have an Inuksuk?
What foods are high priced, and what is relativity cheap.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone have an Inuksuk?

No inuksuk. But I've got anutsak!

Depends on where in Alaska… on road system or off?

Also I don’t keep track of the price of things in the lower 48, so I don’t have much reference.

Stereotypes about Alasaka?

They can’t spell?
I lived in Bethel a little over 20 years ago. Bethel is a regional hub of about 5,000 people 400 miles southwest of Anchorage. Back then at the grocery store, a can of coke was $.99, a six pack of coke cans was $5.99, and a 12-pack of cans was $11.99. You couldn’t buy soda in anything but can form.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Stereotypes about Alasaka?

They can’t spell?

My apologies. Apparently Iowa-Canuckians are the bad spellers.
Here’s a link to store flyers for the Alaska Commercial Company…. You need to put in a zip code. For reference, Bethel’s is 99559

www.alaskacommercial.com/flyers
Thanks all!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/12/22
No matter where in the world you want to go to hunt, fish climb or paddle you can train for it in Alaska.

And the rest will seem easy.

A mosquito landed at Elmendorf and the juice jocks put 700 # of Avgas onboard.

Alaskan mosquitos can stand flat footed and phug a turkey.

The Aleutians are very had to have fun in.

Walking where there are tundra tussocks [jiggerheads] can almost take the fun out of hunting.

mike r
Real Alaskan men sport big oosics?

Native girls love to rub noses?

Actually born in Alaska not long after Statehood and love it up there. Many lifelong influential friends. During my time working years ago in the arctic, I was impressed with the industrious and "jack of all trades" nature of MOST of the people. There were also a few that defied description and also left lasting impressions.

The Ponderosa in KOTZ back in the day was quite the place... early 1980s Longbranch Saloon in a different locale and era, at least from my experience.

Originally Posted by lundtroller

FACT !!!

And bigger than any Texan's
That was probably one of the debates going on in the "Pondu" one of my first nights in KOTZ resulting in guys flying" out of the bar in true old western fashion!

Something was being hotly debated. I remember a few drunks (? women) being dragged out by their hair as well.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/12/22
Alot are nieve about AK. I had my sister in law saying "over" after every sentence when she would call us. I told her we no phones and it was all over radio. I had a riot with that one.
We rented a cabin for several days up at Wiseman Village which seems to be the last lodging before Deadhorse. The food in Fairbanks is more expensive than the lower 48 but not too bad. But if you are going to Wiseman Village which is many miles above the arctic circle you better take any food you are going to want with you. There is ice and gas available down at Coldfoot which is pretty expensive.
Originally Posted by 257Bob

We stayed near Palmer most of the time with overnights to Homer and Fairbanks and East to Glennallen. We literally ran out of new places to go within a couple hours of our base, we did go to Anchorage weekly for a Costco run and a few redundant trips. Many trips to Hatcher Pass and local hiking areas.

Dude, with almost 400 million acres in Alaska and you ran out of places to go ? WTF man ? .... get off the road system , there is so much more out there than the frkn blacktop
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/12/22
I have been to Alaska hunting and on couple of wildfires. Between the black flys and mosquitos, I nearly went crazy. I will never go back again,
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I have been to Alaska hunting and on couple of wildfires. Between the black flys and mosquitos, I nearly went crazy. I will never go back again,

Don't forget the gnats.
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Dude, with almost 400 million acres in Alaska and you ran out of places to go ? WTF man ? .... get off the road system , there is so much more out there than the frkn blacktop

Bob's a good fella and knows all of that. Read his other posts above this one. . .
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Alot are nieve about AK. I had my sister in law saying "over" after every sentence when she would call us. I told her we no phones and it was all over radio. I had a riot with that one.

I need "borrow" that one! Permission please, LoL
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

My wife would get pissed when I would do that to her sister...but she never stopped me or told her sister

You gotta try it.
😁

Don't forget the gnats.

aww c'mon man, the bugs are a lot of fun with the bug zappin tennis racket thingie !
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Don't forget the gnats.

aww c'mon man, the bugs are a lot of fun with the bug zappin tennis racket thingie !

You need 3 guys with those things to protect you when butchering an animal...lol
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

My wife would get pissed when I would do that to her sister...but she never stopped me or told her sister

You gotta try it.

Plan to! Gonna record it too wink
Posted By: las Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/14/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

FACT !!!

And bigger than any Texan's

We could cut 'em in half and make Texan's 3rd largest.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/14/22

We need more like you.
Posted By: dian Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/14/22
There used to be a saying among the women looking for a man:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Posted By: las Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/14/22
6 months of dark, 6 of light.

True if you average. Also true at the equator and all points between.

When I was in gunsmithing school in Denver, the guy next table over was telling someone that his sister lived in Anchorage and had polar bears in her yard on occasion. I didn't know what was going on so I kept my mouth shut until his visitor left, then told him the only polar bear within 500 miles or more was in the Anchorage zoo.

Boy, did he get a sour look. I took that to mean he had believed what he'd just spouted.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/15/22
My wife was just in the Naples/Ft. Meyers, FL area to visit her sister 2 weeks ago. Her sister loves to shop so they went to the mall. My wife was checking out in a store and the cashier said she had to see her DL. When she saw my wife’s AK DL, the girl asked her how far south of FL that AK was. When my wife told her we are way north of you and the map of AK being next to Hawaii off the coast of CA was not correct the girl was dumbfounded. Sad to say, since living here and traveling to the lesser 48 several times, I’ve been asked that question a few times myself.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/15/22
Originally Posted by Hudge
My wife was just in the Naples/Ft. Meyers, FL area to visit her sister 2 weeks ago. Her sister loves to shop so they went to the mall. My wife was checking out in a store and the cashier said she had to see her DL. When she saw my wife’s AK DL, the girl asked her how far south of FL that AK was. When my wife told her we are way north of you and the map of AK being next to Hawaii off the coast of CA was not correct the girl was dumbfounded. Sad to say, since living here and traveling to the lesser 48 several times, I’ve been asked that question a few times myself.

Never thought of that stupidity. But its what public education and no parenting is putting out these days I guess.
Ironbender was up here wit me at the same time ...remember 3 TV broadcast stations ..ALL on the same channel... and it was a long distance ca.ll from fbks ft Wright...to North pole ...and they rite beside each other ... and went thru a satellite to do it ...lol lag time was Un real !
Remember getting the superbowel 4 weeks later when the tape arrived?
lol
Posted By: VernAK Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/18/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
lol

That gave us more time to bet in the football pools.

I think most of you remember RATNET.....rural alaska tv network.
Know more than a few guys with this problem .......

...[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Hudge Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/19/22
lol

Wow! Superbowel, I guess you crap a lot then. 😅
Bean dip.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/19/22
Tyvek is the official state siding.
A "10" in Alaska is a 4 with a 6 pack of beer. Its kinda true and funny but there are a lot of good looking ladies up here actually
Originally Posted by trapperJ
A "10" in Alaska is a 4 with a 6 pack of beer. Its kinda true and funny but there are a lot of good looking ladies up here actually

Good looking women here are called "tourists!"
Originally Posted by K1500

That makes the blue tarp the official state roofing.
Posted By: las Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/19/22
Blue tarps are old school. I have one. And maybe a dozen, various sizes, brown on one side, green on the other, including a 30x40, I think. Yeah - it covered the roof for a time after the fire.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/19/22
Bean dip.

That will do it!
Posted By: las Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/20/22
Alasakans can't spel?
I wonder if the bugs are as bad as the Nunavut tundra. Anybody been both places? Nunavut was the worst I've ever experienced. The black flies were worse that the mosquitoes, except when the wind died. It was like living in a bee hive.
Reading about the cost of soda reminded me of a stay in Japan a few years ago. $8 U.S. for small (8oz?) bottle of Coke.
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Reading about the cost of soda reminded me of a stay in Japan a few years ago. $8 U.S. for small (8oz?) bottle of Coke.

On one of my early overseas trips, I was at a bar in Singapore- I ordered a “Jack and Coke”. That was a mistake! Jack is considered top shelf imported swill, and Coke is kinda like ordering San Pelligrino water here. $30 Sing for one drink.

Had I ordered a whiskey and cola it would have been about $10 Sing.
Posted By: Caribou Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/26/22
Anyone have an Inuksuk?

Mine are a few miles south on several ridge lines, still leading caribou up the hills tops but noone to catch them....

That was probably one of the debates going on in the "Pondu" one of my first nights in KOTZ resulting in guys flying" out of the bar in true old western fashion!

Something was being hotly debated. I remember a few drunks (? women) being dragged out by their hair as well.

And, of course, a bad case of Pondu Flu would come along on Sunday....all day.... laugh

When Kotz went "damp" and closed the bars, the town dump was mined for discarded booze for a year. Drop off your trash, pick up a case of beer....

Most misconceive that everyone in Alaska owns a gun.

"Hell no", I tell em "everyone owns LOTS of guns."
Posted By: OGB Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/26/22
Alaska is like Globo-Gym

"We're better than you, and we know it."
Originally Posted by rost495

So true.

that looks like a drag queen

That's 007 hisself.
Bush Alaska will sell you unopened bags of doritos for $10. But you can buy pre-opened doritos in a ziploc bag on sale for $8.
And we take our powdered goods seriously.
Alaskan mosquitoes easily drill through Carhartts. You need bug dope all over, not just bare skin.
You have to wait for the snow to melt to get a good count of how many broke down cars are in the front yard.
You can always tell an Alaskan. You just can't tell him very much.
The Fly by Night comedy club on Spenard touched on Alaskan stereotypes. One was about Alaskans love of Spam. Unfortunately it shutdown years back.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 02/27/22
Never got the hate for Spam but we digress
Sailor Boy pilot bread is the cat’s meow
Had two headnets for skeeters. My sourdough homesteader bush neighbor said: "They are not that bad" Three hours later: Did you bring that extra headnet?

The West is hard on women and horses.

Alaska is hard on women and chain saws....
Ahhh, Pilot Bread!!!
Never could fully figure that stuff out... seemed that it was only good for breaking up in soup or something. Not even salted either!

I ate some strange stuff up in the arctic back in the day. Local pizzas were $25-30, milk was $5-6/gallon, and AC produce was priced like gold... very expensive for the early 80's for an 18yo trying to save a little "college $". I do remember baking up some arctic char that I had bought cheap from the fishermen, making a sandwich spread with some cheese, pickles, and mayonnaise and putting that on Pilot Bread. It was pretty good but would have been better with "good" bread and toasted!

Basically, when Pilot Bread and the like started to look good, I knew it was time to go back to the lower 48 for awhile! Same goes for the occasional piece of muktuk (to be sociable) or the aroma of seal oil. 6-9 months later, I was ready for another go-a-round!

I envision Pilot Bread really best suited for long boat trips on the open ocean, Spam, sardines, smoked oysters, soup and the like, maybe a few limes to prevent the scurvy! Lower 48... maybe something like the previously mentioned items on a deer hunt or maybe Sage grouse stew! I will take Saltines or Ritz crackers though, myself!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 03/08/22
Kinda like pilot bread ourselves. One goes a long way. Its much harder with dentures though now. But I'll still run with it if its available while out in the bush.
Dentures with Pilot Bread sounds about like attacking tundra tussocks (woke) with rubber knee high pasture boots... rough!

Like I said, a little salt baked into the Pilot Bread would have gone a long ways but I can see that being counter productive on a long marine excursion where fresh water was at a premium. As to the bush and/or arctic, I'll take some caribou jerky, dried or smoked salmon, and maybe some dried blueberries or salmon berries. I'd even consider some boiled gull eggs and some of the other delicacies from up in that country.

I've just never sought out the stuff down south even though I do believe that it is sold in other parts of the Country.
Posted By: mart Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 03/08/22
I like pilot bread. Especially with some jam or jelly. I like it broke up in my caribou stew.
Yeah mart, but that aint saying much... you kind of like those old 7mm Hornady RN bullets that no one else likes, too!

BTW, have you shot any of those yet?
Posted By: mart Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 03/08/22
I shot a few. They shot really well in the 7x57 I had, a lefty Zastavas. Then some fella went and bought it from me when I wanted to fund another project. I regret selling it.

I found bacon on sale for $9.99/lb last week.

Originally Posted by K1500

Not out here in this rain-soaked and wind-blown schitthole. Tyvek will give you mold and mildew issues within a year and will rot a building down to the ground in 10. We use old-school felt building paper.

Originally Posted by Remington725
Sailor Boy pilot bread is the cat’s meow

Sailor Boy crackers are THE schitt.
Posted By: johnn Re: Stereotypes about Alasaka? - 04/19/22
Once you hit the slope, there is a woman behind every tree.
the "indigenous" hype needs to stop, who gives a flying, floating, swimming, running or crawling fyouseak

and that goes to the lesser 48 state buffalo humpers as well ... along with that Communist Ckuntry next to Alaska, effn Canadia
© 24hourcampfire