Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Sailor Boy pilot bread is the cat’s meow

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had two headnets for skeeters. My sourdough homesteader bush neighbor said: "They are not that bad" Three hours later: Did you bring that extra headnet?

The West is hard on women and horses.

Alaska is hard on women and chain saws....

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ahhh, Pilot Bread!!!
Never could fully figure that stuff out... seemed that it was only good for breaking up in soup or something. Not even salted either!

I ate some strange stuff up in the arctic back in the day. Local pizzas were $25-30, milk was $5-6/gallon, and AC produce was priced like gold... very expensive for the early 80's for an 18yo trying to save a little "college $". I do remember baking up some arctic char that I had bought cheap from the fishermen, making a sandwich spread with some cheese, pickles, and mayonnaise and putting that on Pilot Bread. It was pretty good but would have been better with "good" bread and toasted!

Basically, when Pilot Bread and the like started to look good, I knew it was time to go back to the lower 48 for awhile! Same goes for the occasional piece of muktuk (to be sociable) or the aroma of seal oil. 6-9 months later, I was ready for another go-a-round!

I envision Pilot Bread really best suited for long boat trips on the open ocean, Spam, sardines, smoked oysters, soup and the like, maybe a few limes to prevent the scurvy! Lower 48... maybe something like the previously mentioned items on a deer hunt or maybe Sage grouse stew! I will take Saltines or Ritz crackers though, myself!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Kinda like pilot bread ourselves. One goes a long way. Its much harder with dentures though now. But I'll still run with it if its available while out in the bush.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Dentures with Pilot Bread sounds about like attacking tundra tussocks (woke) with rubber knee high pasture boots... rough!

Like I said, a little salt baked into the Pilot Bread would have gone a long ways but I can see that being counter productive on a long marine excursion where fresh water was at a premium. As to the bush and/or arctic, I'll take some caribou jerky, dried or smoked salmon, and maybe some dried blueberries or salmon berries. I'd even consider some boiled gull eggs and some of the other delicacies from up in that country.

I've just never sought out the stuff down south even though I do believe that it is sold in other parts of the Country.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I like pilot bread. Especially with some jam or jelly. I like it broke up in my caribou stew.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yeah mart, but that aint saying much... you kind of like those old 7mm Hornady RN bullets that no one else likes, too!

BTW, have you shot any of those yet?

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I shot a few. They shot really well in the 7x57 I had, a lefty Zastavas. Then some fella went and bought it from me when I wanted to fund another project. I regret selling it.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by wabigoon
What foods are high priced, and what is relativity cheap.

I found bacon on sale for $9.99/lb last week.

Originally Posted by K1500
Tyvek is the official state siding.

Not out here in this rain-soaked and wind-blown schitthole. Tyvek will give you mold and mildew issues within a year and will rot a building down to the ground in 10. We use old-school felt building paper.

Originally Posted by Remington725
Sailor Boy pilot bread is the cat’s meow

Sailor Boy crackers are THE schitt.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once you hit the slope, there is a woman behind every tree.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the "indigenous" hype needs to stop, who gives a flying, floating, swimming, running or crawling fyouseak

and that goes to the lesser 48 state buffalo humpers as well ... along with that Communist Ckuntry next to Alaska, effn Canadia

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 16,117 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,201
Posts18,543,580
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.