Home
The wife and some friends and I are taking a cruise to Alaska next month. I always wanted to go hunt in Alaska and kind of bummed about traveling all the way across the US to go there and not get to hunt, but oh well maybe in the future. We will be doing the tourist thing where we go to Ketchikan, Juneau and Victoria. What are some recommended things to see and do while off the boat that maybe aren't as touristy? Any must sees or restaurants?
I wish I could stash my .348 in my luggage and go after a Black tail, LOL
Thanks
We cruised there a while back, flew into Anchorage then train ride to Denali for 3 days before getting on the boat in Seward. I'd hit the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau, 4" of sawdust on the floor if you fall off the barstool. The silvers were running, great little creek running through Ketchikan to see 'em.

Most our excursions were cancelled due to heavy rain. Definitely bring good binos, I included my spotter & tripod. We saw lots of wildlife from the boat.
Yes, I have a nice set you Swarovski pocket binos. My wife has already said to bring them.
Last time I ate at Bar Harbor in Ketchikan my buddy and I both got sick, I'd avoid it. If you take a bear tour out to Neets Bay in Ketchikan let me know.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: First time visit to Alaska - 07/29/22
I was just in Anchorage last week. The first time in 46 years. I met a couple of Army buddies there. One live in Anchorage and one came from Yakima Washington.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fishing and flying is what we did for side trips. And flying was the best especially doing a glacier landing and lake landings.
You will only have time for one trip at each port. Go flying, land on a glacier, Denali, if possible !!
Posted By: Hudge Re: First time visit to Alaska - 07/29/22
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
You will only have time for one trip at each port. Go flying, land on a glacier, Denali, if possible !!
If he’s only staying in SE Alaska, I highly doubt he makes it to Denali. Still a long ways from Juneau and Ketchikan.
Tagging this thread. I've got a similar 2 week trip booked and paid for in July 2023. 7 day cruise, starting in Vancouver and ending in Whittier, then a week on the ground in Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks.
Posted By: 79S Re: First time visit to Alaska - 07/29/22
One needs to visit mtn view, Fairview, Spenard and Muldoon to truly experience Alaska!
Didn't I see someone post recently about all the shootings in Spenard? Sounds like a nice part of town.
We get enough shootings in Atlanta, lol I hope not to partake in that while in Alaska...unless it's me shooting at game. The wife has us booked on a plane ride to land on a glacier so far. How are the mosquitos and black flies in mid August?
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Tagging this thread. I've got a similar 2 week trip booked and paid for in July 2023. 7 day cruise, starting in Vancouver and ending in Whittier, then a week on the ground in Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks.
Going north on the train?
Originally Posted by 348winchester
We get enough shootings in Atlanta, lol I hope not to partake in that while in Alaska...unless it's me shooting at game. The wife has us booked on a plane ride to land on a glacier so far. How are the mosquitos and black flies in mid August?
Not a problem on a glacier. 😆
Posted By: T_Inman Re: First time visit to Alaska - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by 79S
One needs to visit mtn view, Fairview, Spenard and Muldoon to truly experience Alaska!

Nonsense.
One hasn’t experienced the ‘real’ Alaska until they spend some time in Barrow, Kotzebue or Nuiqsut.

They’re beautiful, in a third world country kind of way.
Posted By: akpls Re: First time visit to Alaska - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by 79S

Nonsense.
One hasn’t experienced the ‘real’ Alaska until they spend some time in Barrow, Kotzebue or Nuiqsut.

They’re beautiful, in a third world country kind of way.
Dont forget Bethel.... in April/May
Posted By: AGL4now Re: First time visit to Alaska - 07/30/22
If ever staying in Anchorage, avoid "Tha Alex Hotel". (The Hotel from HELL).
In Juneau:

Alaska State Museum (10 min walk from cruise ships)
Mt. Roberts Tram (blue bird day only) You can hike down in about 1.25 hrs
Mendenhall Glacier
DIPAC salmon hatchery tour (silver fishing is very good late Aug - early Sept) [you can rent gear or borrow from me as I work right across the street]
Sheep Cr. silver fishing (again late Aug - early Sept) 5 miles from criuse ships - very good fly fishing and spinning for silvers
Walk up Basin Road to Perserverance Trail and Ebner Falls. Mining Musem is up there.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Going north on the train?

Yes
Boy if that's all I was going to see of Alaska I'd probably stay home
Like I said, if you fly out to Neets Bay for a bear tour with Taquan let me know. We get coho's and I have a rig you can use and slay some fish real quick.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Boy if that's all I was going to see of Alaska I'd probably stay home

Well, it's not the visit I would have preferred. But the 50 something year old wife just had to have an Alaska cruise and at least having a little time on the ground is better than none. I had proposed flying in and renting an SUV in Anchorage and just exploring on our own, and booking a trip to Brooks Falls. But of course, an SUV doesn't have a buffet every evening. :rollseyes: Whatever. Sometimes, you have to keep the wife happy.
Sounds like she owes you an AK hunt in the future!
I agree. Can't even bring a handgun with me.
Just returned from visiting Alaska for the first time. I am not a fisherman, but I enjoyed fishing in Alaska so much that I may well become one. I want to thank all the Campfire members who helped make my visit so memorable. I will be back.
Just returned from my first visit to Alaska. Friends there took me fishing. I never have been a fisherman, but I liked it so much in Alaska, that I may become one. Thanks to all for making my visit a great one.
Headed out in the morning to Atlanta airport, fly to Seattle and then to the boat Thursday. First time visiting the left coast. Closest Ive been was an elk hunt in Idaho three years ago.
PM sent
In Juneau today. Very beautiful day. We heard the weather is unusually nice. We took the tram to the top of the mountain and walked around. Very beautiful. Came back and did the tourist things. Picked up a shirt at Red Dog saloon and ate crab legs at Tracys. Such a small taste of Alaska. I will have to come back for a longer stay to fish and hunt. Tomorrow a day in Ketchikan.
Back home. The take on it. A cruise to Alaska is nice but next time Im flying in and taking time to see more. Flight home sucked due to turbulence and an unruly middle eastern kid whose parents wouldn’t discipline their brat. Overall a nice trip with good friends. Next time Im bringing a bow or rifle, somethings going to die lol
© 24hourcampfire