Home
Posted By: 79S Kodiak - 10/28/22
I wonder how the fall bear hunters a doing down their?
Posted By: AGL4now Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by 79S

COLD/WET/MISSERABLE/VERY LITTLE DAYLIGHT.

Desperately attempting to convince themselves this is fun, and attempting to block out the cost in dollars to enjoy this experience they have dreamed about for decades.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by 79S

Desperately attempting to convince themselves this is fun, and attempting to block out the cost in dollars to enjoy this experience they have dreamed about for decades.
Aren’t you a ray of sunshine.
☀️
Posted By: 79S Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by 79S

Well okay then….
Posted By: AGL4now Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=79S]I
Well okay then….

Have you spent much time there in the fall......?? It is like being in prison in purgatory. You are unsure whether to self-abort or pray for premature extraction. In the end you don't care.
Posted By: 79S Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=79S]I
Well okay then….

Have you spent much time there in the fall......??

Well, considering I work at the dump live in a old camp trailer that was giving to me most times my meals are what I scrounge out of the dump because I get paid $12.22 an hour. Rent and power, medical takes most of pay so in short I never been to kodiak.. But I did go to Denali park one time with my foster parents.. Oddly enough, they had cps pick me up their and I ended up in boys home in Fairbanks..
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
I hunted Kodiak for two weeks one time and it only rained twice! Once for five days and once for nine days!
Posted By: AK_Troutbum Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
I used to think that this was the best time of year to go to Kodiak, now it seems like everyone else has started thinking the same way. Oct. is a zoo down there anymore.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Thinking of doing a deer hunt down there with Jake Jefferson.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Late November is even more miserable. Less daylight, colder and windier.
Just the way Alaskan hunters like it 🎭
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Kodiak - 10/28/22
Hunted Blacktails on Kodiak most every year we lived in Alaska starting in the late 1980’s. Usually during the last half of November. Made a lot of great memories from those hunts. Especially the hunts when it was just my son and myself. We stayed in my 10x10 Arctic oven and heated it with a lantern and wood stove.
Rain, wind, LOTSs of wind, and snow were just part of the hunt.
Posted By: las Re: Kodiak - 10/29/22
Originally Posted by 458Win
Late November is even more miserable. Less daylight, colder and windier.
Just the way Alaskan hunters like it 🎭

Yeah, moose season sucks. Hunting 18 hours a day.... I took naps. smile
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
Been a rough week here in Kodiak. Gusting up to 55 and now it can't decide whether to rain or snow
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Been a rough week here in Kodiak. Gusting up to 55 and now it can't decide whether to rain or snow

Wind is going straight from Kodiak to me. 36ft seas on the outside tomorrow. Weather has sucked and this last week.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
I have a friend trying to elk hunt on Etolin and had a hell of a time just getting there. Stuck in Juneau for 2 days, then stuck in Ketch. I never did hear if he got to Etolin.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
Calvin, Windy is a great app how do you post a pic from the app? How we played this summer 57 straight days of rain we went wherever there was a break for a couple of hrs. Using the Windy app.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Calvin, Windy is a great app how do you post a pic from the app? How we played this summer 57 straight days of rain we went wherever there was a break for a couple of hrs. Using the Windy app.
Screenshot off a phone.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
Don't let these negative Nancys fool you. Kodiak is just like this year round.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have a friend trying to elk hunt on Etolin and had a hell of a time just getting there. Stuck in Juneau for 2 days, then stuck in Ketch. I never did hear if he got to Etolin.

Probably one of the worst stretches we have had at the end of Oct that I can remember. It’s been downright horrible and that’s saying a lot for se ak.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Screenshot off a phone.

Yes
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by Calvin
Probably one of the worst stretches we have had at the end of Oct that I can remember. It’s been downright horrible and that’s saying a lot for se ak.

We hit a real nice stretch of wx Oct 21 - 25. Had a cabin revso on Admiralty and got some incredible day hunts after deer - like hunting meadows in the SUNSHINE! Rained for a couple of hours one day. I couldn't believe it.

You still going to Gambier? You consider Pybus? Tuesday is lookin' pretty sweet.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Calvin

We hit a real nice stretch of wx Oct 21 - 25. Had a cabin revso on Admiralty and got some incredible day hunts after deer - like hunting meadows in the SUNSHINE! Rained for a couple of hours one day. I couldn't believe it.

You still going to Gambier? You consider Pybus? Tuesday is lookin' pretty sweet.

No, we decided against it. Not to mention it’s snowing so dragging a boat up to Coffman for a splash wouldn’t be much fun.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

July?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

July?

Yah.
You got in under the wire!

It was like that here until July 12. That’s when things went to hell.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
2 years full time 84-86 worked at the Coast Guard base got off work when it was sunny called sunshine liberty happened 2 days in 2 years could not get off work as I was deemed essential. Yes weather could be sporty, but remember guys coming from the Aleutians saying how nice Kodiak weather was!
I guess everything is relative.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: Kodiak - 10/30/22
I spent near a month on "The Ocean Ranger" a fair way out of Dutch Harbor in the 70's on a saturation dive team, the general observation was the two divers 330 feet down in a bell were more comfortable than those on deck. I was still glad to be on the deck.
That Ocean Ranger sunk 166 miles East of Newfoundland, took 84 men down with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Ranger
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Kodiak - 10/31/22
28⁰ this morning. Saw 2 deer this afternoon but my buddy wasn't fast enough on the trigger.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Kodiak - 10/31/22
2 years full time 84-86 worked at the Coast Guard base got off work when it was sunny called sunshine liberty happened 2 days in 2 years could not get off work as I was deemed essential. Yes weather could be sporty, but remember guys coming from the Aleutians saying how nice Kodiak weather was!
I"ve yet to have a horrible weather run in the fall on the Aleutians but I know I missed one a few years ago.

But thats fall weather. Seems lots of folks need cheese or really don't want to hunt. Even if its bad, its only for limited days. Assuming they can get you out..eventually...

Mentally I just assume I'll pull waders and rain gear off to go to bed. And put same on when I get up every day. Spring or fall. And if its better than that its a blessing.

But wind. There is a time when I don't care to be looking. The one fall we had 110 mph winds come through moose camp... I told the client we'd be in the cook tent or sleeping bags until that backed off a bit.
Posted By: highcountry Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Kodiak treated us ok, the wife took a 9-1/2’er on opening day. Weather was typical for fall and the forecast was terrible so we headed back to Fairbanks 3 days later.
Posted By: 79S Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Originally Posted by highcountry
Kodiak treated us ok, the wife took a 9-1/2’er on opening day. Weather was typical for fall and the forecast was terrible so we headed back to Fairbanks 3 days later.

Congrats to your wife on the bear!
Posted By: highcountry Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by highcountry

Congrats to your wife on the bear!

Thanks 79S.

Took a bit but finally figured out how to get a picture linked. Don’t post here much.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Westman Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
What a great pic!

Awesome bear.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Atta Girl !! love the photo
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Atta Girl !! love the photo
Ditto.
Posted By: las Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Dang that's a beautiful bear. I like them better alive tho. So far.

Next to a silvertip, those dark, dark bears are my fav. Still only gonna ever shoot a sivertip griz by choice tho. (My choice- those who choose to hunt the bruins I have no beef with).

Just watched a documentary on TV - Bittner or something like that. Lives with the bears every summer in Katmai, but seems more respectful and less complacent than Treadwell. Give it time, and he too may end up as scat, but some really good footage and lovely bears,within feet of him, by their choice.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Great bear
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Very nice!
Posted By: waterrat Re: Kodiak - 11/04/22
Great Picture!! Dandy bear in the middle of an alder patch!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kodiak - 11/05/22
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Very nice!
Similar to pic of Paul’s bear you showed me?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Kodiak - 11/05/22
Love it High Country!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kodiak - 11/05/22
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Very nice!
Similar to pic of Paul’s bear you showed me?
Close
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Kodiak - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by 79S

💯‼️
© 24hourcampfire