Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Probably one of the worst stretches we have had at the end of Oct that I can remember. It’s been downright horrible and that’s saying a lot for se ak.

We hit a real nice stretch of wx Oct 21 - 25. Had a cabin revso on Admiralty and got some incredible day hunts after deer - like hunting meadows in the SUNSHINE! Rained for a couple of hours one day. I couldn't believe it.

You still going to Gambier? You consider Pybus? Tuesday is lookin' pretty sweet.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Calvin
Probably one of the worst stretches we have had at the end of Oct that I can remember. It’s been downright horrible and that’s saying a lot for se ak.

We hit a real nice stretch of wx Oct 21 - 25. Had a cabin revso on Admiralty and got some incredible day hunts after deer - like hunting meadows in the SUNSHINE! Rained for a couple of hours one day. I couldn't believe it.

You still going to Gambier? You consider Pybus? Tuesday is lookin' pretty sweet.

No, we decided against it. Not to mention it’s snowing so dragging a boat up to Coffman for a splash wouldn’t be much fun.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Don't let these negative Nancys fool you. Kodiak is just like this year round.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
July?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Don't let these negative Nancys fool you. Kodiak is just like this year round.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
July?

Yah.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You got in under the wire!

It was like that here until July 12. That’s when things went to hell.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
2 years full time 84-86 worked at the Coast Guard base got off work when it was sunny called sunshine liberty happened 2 days in 2 years could not get off work as I was deemed essential. Yes weather could be sporty, but remember guys coming from the Aleutians saying how nice Kodiak weather was!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I guess everything is relative.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I spent near a month on "The Ocean Ranger" a fair way out of Dutch Harbor in the 70's on a saturation dive team, the general observation was the two divers 330 feet down in a bell were more comfortable than those on deck. I was still glad to be on the deck.
That Ocean Ranger sunk 166 miles East of Newfoundland, took 84 men down with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Ranger

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
28⁰ this morning. Saw 2 deer this afternoon but my buddy wasn't fast enough on the trigger.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kk alaska
2 years full time 84-86 worked at the Coast Guard base got off work when it was sunny called sunshine liberty happened 2 days in 2 years could not get off work as I was deemed essential. Yes weather could be sporty, but remember guys coming from the Aleutians saying how nice Kodiak weather was!
I"ve yet to have a horrible weather run in the fall on the Aleutians but I know I missed one a few years ago.

But thats fall weather. Seems lots of folks need cheese or really don't want to hunt. Even if its bad, its only for limited days. Assuming they can get you out..eventually...

Mentally I just assume I'll pull waders and rain gear off to go to bed. And put same on when I get up every day. Spring or fall. And if its better than that its a blessing.

But wind. There is a time when I don't care to be looking. The one fall we had 110 mph winds come through moose camp... I told the client we'd be in the cook tent or sleeping bags until that backed off a bit.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Kodiak treated us ok, the wife took a 9-1/2’er on opening day. Weather was typical for fall and the forecast was terrible so we headed back to Fairbanks 3 days later.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highcountry
Kodiak treated us ok, the wife took a 9-1/2’er on opening day. Weather was typical for fall and the forecast was terrible so we headed back to Fairbanks 3 days later.

Congrats to your wife on the bear!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by highcountry

Congrats to your wife on the bear!

Thanks 79S.

Took a bit but finally figured out how to get a picture linked. Don’t post here much.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What a great pic!

Awesome bear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Atta Girl !! love the photo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Atta Girl !! love the photo
Ditto.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Dang that's a beautiful bear. I like them better alive tho. So far.

Next to a silvertip, those dark, dark bears are my fav. Still only gonna ever shoot a sivertip griz by choice tho. (My choice- those who choose to hunt the bruins I have no beef with).

Just watched a documentary on TV - Bittner or something like that. Lives with the bears every summer in Katmai, but seems more respectful and less complacent than Treadwell. Give it time, and he too may end up as scat, but some really good footage and lovely bears,within feet of him, by their choice.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great bear

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great Picture!! Dandy bear in the middle of an alder patch!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 52 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.