Home
A well known local pilot was ferrying bear hunters back this morning and his plane went down on takeoff from camp. Neither the pilot or the passenger survived the crash. The crash was witnessed by a guide. With everything happening earlier today, no additional information is available as to the cause. The pilot was a friend of mine.
https://mustreadalaska.com/jim-twet...cessna-that-went-down-in-western-alaska/
That’s awful. I’ve had a chance to meet him and get to know a couple of the kids over the years. Super nice people. Damn sorry to hear this. Condolences.

Godspeed to both.
Hate hearing stuff like this. Sorry you lost a friend. Hope the families of the victims get thru this the best they can.
Very sorry to read this.
I only know him from the TV show, but he seemed like a great guy.
Prayers for the family.
10 years ago Jim drop me and a friend off for a once in lifetime float hunt. This breaks my heart. God rest his soul and God bless his family.
He was the first one I thought of….I’m so terribly sorry to see this! My prayers for his loving family and wide network of friends.

If it can happen to him….he was an exceptional pilot!
I hate to hear about that. I really enjoyed the show and it’s hard to think about it happening to someone experienced like him.
Posted By: memtb Re: Plane crash near Unalakleet - 06/17/23
Very sorry to hear of this. Much sympathy goes to all of you that knew the pilot….and to the families of the pilot and the hunter! memtb
Very sad deal.

I did not know Jim but like most folks that are exposed to AK aviation I’ve certainly heard of him and his great reputation as a pilot and person in general.

I haven’t heard who the guide was yet but have my suspicions.

Thoughts and sympathy to the families.
Shane Reynolds is who the ADN reports.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avi...rted-dead-in-western-alaska-plane-crash/
Losing Jim leaves a huge void in the region in so many ways. A great pilot with a big heart who put helping above the money he might have made. Always a friendly greeting, often a question about family members or a greeting to pass along. Denial is the device that helps us avoid facing these potentialities. He was one of only a couple pilots who I trusted in some of the crazy weather the area gets.
Really sad
Jim was a great guy! Just looking from afar, the engine maybe wasn’t producing rated horsepower or a wind/downdraft event. Hate to lose a good person/pilot like that…it can happen to anyone though.
The area and terrain where he was flying is apparently known for some wild winds, and they may have been heavy as it sounds like they were moving a camp out and could only take one passenger.
Very sad to hear this. Condolences to their families and friends.
Many years ago my younger brother was getting his pilot’s license and since I was the one that loved the outdoors I was thinking about getting my pilots license. My brother solo’d and got his pilot’s license at 15 and has been flying since. When I was seriously considering it I knew that Alaska was where I’d eventually end up but I also knew that Alaska isn’t like flying down here. Alaska flying took a “different type of pilot” and required an attention to “detail” that I don’t possess. It also requires intimate knowledge of the potential regional differences and the weather anomalies that are “specific” to the area which I also didn’t possess. Long ago I came to the conclusion that the money I’d spend on getting my license, insurance, tie-down fees, maintenance and the actual aircraft itself I’d be way ahead if I just paid an experienced professional pilot to fly me wherever I wanted to go.

My respect for the old Alaska bush pilots is as great as my respect for anyone in any profession anywhere! I’ve never regretted my decision to not get my pilot’s license but I would enjoy that amount of freedom. When I see the best of the best….Men like Jim Tweto…lose their lives doing what comes second nature to them, I think I made a good decision.

Talking to my wife earlier about this we both can’t believe that it happened and we’re both heartbroken for his beautiful family and the people and communities he served. He had such a wide circle of people that loved him (and his family) and he was such an important person that gave so much back to everyone that this loss will hurt for a long time to come! He won’t be forgotten and he isn’t someone that can be replaced….
Your brother must be old if he got his private at 15
It's been 17 for many decades
A great man has died too young.
He was my age and I deserve to be alive when he is not ?
Didn't the "reality show" fake Jim's retirement at the end of the third season ?
Then he was able to shake off the Hollywood hangers-on and get back to doing what he loved, business as usual.
Doing good.
RIP Jim Tweto.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Plane crash near Unalakleet - 06/18/23
Rip. Terrible
Second person identified.

On June 16, 2023, at 11:48 am, Alaska State Troopers were notified of an SOS activation from an InReach device. It was reported that there had been a plane crash 35 miles Northeast of Shaktoolik. The Cessna 180 aircraft was witnessed taking off but not climbing and then crashing. Subsequent information was reported that both occupants of the aircraft were deceased. AST responded from Nome and recovered the two bodies from the crash site. Tentative identification of the deceased is Pilot Jim Tweto, age 68 of Unalakleet, Alaska, and passenger Shane Reynolds, age 45 of Orofino, Idaho. Next of kin has been notified. The bodies are being transported to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Anchorage. NTSB was notified of the crash.
Jim had sold his interest in ERA but was busy every day. He had two planes and was still active flying but didn’t have to deal with running a large business. He and Ferno walked the roads daily to keep active. He also enjoyed spending time at his camp and with friends and family. When you bumped into Jim, a 5 minute conversation might last a half hour talking about all kinds of topics. He never said a bad word about anyone and always had a big smile on his face. He will be missed.
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
He never said a bad word about anyone and always had a big smile on his face. He will be missed.

Mark, you certainly nailed the essence of the man!
[Linked Image]

This was classic Jim. He had a true heart for the next generation, and any young kid who showed an interest was "fair game." Here he's explaining some of the instruments on the 207 to my son as we taxied out in Unalakleet 2 years ago. Moments later, just as soon as we were airborne, he handed control of the yoke to him and we flew to Saint Michael. I fully expected Jim would retake the yoke when we began the approach but he left my life in the hands of my 14 year-old as he coached him to put the plane safely on the runway. That was pretty risky considering I hadn't yet paid for the charter. 😆
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Plane crash near Unalakleet - 06/21/23
Rough deal. Never seen the show, but he sounds like a heck of a guy.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avi...rk-ethic-and-devotion-to-western-alaska/
Posted By: hlg Re: Plane crash near Unalakleet - 06/23/23
Does anyone know,did the accident happen in the Red Cessna 180 that was his absolute favorite as portrayed in the TV show?
That thing looked like it had plenty of "experience " but I'm sure it was in good airworthy condition .Later in the show it looked as if it had an engine upgrade with big three blade prop.There are so many mods. for those airplanes,the original O470 Continental was good but not great for what he was trying to do.
I'm sure Mr. Tweto had many situations where he needed every ounce of performance the airplane had, the ragged edge can bite!
Yes, it was his 180. That was his plane for off runway flying and his favorite. It was a fun plane to ride in. He had a 207 for other flights. Both were maintained at a very high level.
Bummer. With thousands of hours aloft, eventually something can hit the fan.

Have a local acquaintance that put in 20+ years of flying up there. In tight situations, he'd only have one of us in the Beaver at a time for take offs. He'd ferry us individually to a much larger lake, load up the game and entire party, and then take off.

Help is a long way off up there, so it's certainly in one's best interest to not screw up. Still, sh-t happens.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Plane crash near Unalakleet - 06/24/23
Very sad news. Prayer sent for God to watch over Ferno and Ariel.

My wife and I were fans of the show. Jim had a heart bigger than all of Alaska. The large group who showed up for his memorial service speaks volumes about his character. He touched so many lives.
I’ve been keeping Ferno and Ariel in my prayers daily. I can’t imagine the giant hole Jim’s passing has left in their lives….but in a much larger sense Jim’s passing has left a giant hole in the communities that he served and the lives of so many that Jim touched just by being himself!

The world needs more Men like Jim Tweto….
There are 2 more daughters. Ayla and Elaine. He also has a brother in Alaska.
Originally Posted by martentrapper
There are 2 more daughters. Ayla and Elaine. He also has a brother in Alaska.
Knew there was a brother and another daughter. Didn't realized 3 daughters that we recall.

Anyway never got to meet him or family but have never heard anything but good about them.

A huge loss. We are diminished.

Fly High!

Thoughts prayers and condolences to family and friends
The "simple" memorial they had for him in ANC had many chairs for seating, and they still had to open the big hangar door on the Alaska Air museum in order to make enough standing room.

If you watch Flying Wild, the girls and some of the crew got goofy for the cameras here and there, but the Jim you see is pretty much him...good man.

The youngest daughter, Elaine, a very excellent pilot as well, right from the get-go, but keeps her head down and avoids the "silliness" of cameras and attention.

He is and will continue to be very missed by many.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Plane crash near Unalakleet - 06/27/23
Met them when the show was running. We were picking up a boat that a friend had bought from a local. Whole family was funny especially Ferno.

Great week in Unalakleet getting that boat ready to come around to Dillingham.
Plane struck tree on takeoff that killed pilot Jim Tweto, initial investigation shows

The aircraft was attempting takeoff from a remote, off-airport, mountain ridgeline airstrip

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - The aircraft flown by famed Alaska pilot Jim Tweto clipped a tree when it was taking off from a remote, off-airport, mountain ridgeline airstrip in June, according to a National Transportation Safety Board preliminary investigative report released Tuesday. The crash took the lives of Tweto, of Unalakleet, and outdoor guide Shane Reynolds, of Orofino, Idaho. The crash happened at about 11:35 a.m., on June 16, near Shaktoolik.

After clipping the tree, the left stabilizer of the aircraft, or its pitch control, was disabled. The aircraft crashed, uncontrolled after that. A guide, who was at the scene of the crash, said winds had been “gusting and changing a lot,” that day. Others in the area had described winds as unusual. Tweto was known to have used the mountain airstrip many times before.

The airplane involved in the crash, a Cessna 180H, was operated by Golden Eagle Outfitters and involved a remote bear hunting excursion, the NTSB wrote in their preliminary investigation. The pilot, Tweto, had returned to the remote airstrip after having flown two hunters to another destination when he picked up Reynolds and gear.

“There’s a lot more work to do,” said Clint Johnson, chief of NTSB’s Alaska Regional Office. “We don’t know if there was a momentary loss of engine power. We don’t know if there was a medical issue. We don’t know if there was maybe a control issue. Yes, the end result is, it appears at this early juncture, that the airplane struck a tree on takeoff and disabled one of the flight controls, but we don’t know what led up to that. That’s our job right now to see if we can figure out what happened during those couple of moments before the airplane hit the tree.”

It can take a year for the NTSB to fully complete an investigation. Johnson said he doesn’t expect the crash that took Tweto’s life to take longer than a year to fully investigate.

Tweto’s family said the famed pilot had taught more than 100 people how to fly and inspired countless people to become pilots. Tweto was a star of the Discovery Channel reality show “Flying Wild Alaska.”

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2...t-jim-tweto-initial-investigation-shows/
Was on a multi-day road trip when I saw a Facebook post by KUIU about the crash. Pictures of both men and their families were in the post. The picture of the guide's wife caught my attention, because she looked almost exactly like my closest in age cousin when she was younger (she passed from cancer 15 years ago). Then I saw her name - Gina. My cousin's daughter. Both men killed in that crash were good family men. Really a sad deal. Life is fragile.
© 24hourcampfire