Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
A well known local pilot was ferrying bear hunters back this morning and his plane went down on takeoff from camp. Neither the pilot or the passenger survived the crash. The crash was witnessed by a guide. With everything happening earlier today, no additional information is available as to the cause. The pilot was a friend of mine.

Last edited by Unalakleet_Yooper; 06/16/23.
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s awful. I’ve had a chance to meet him and get to know a couple of the kids over the years. Super nice people. Damn sorry to hear this. Condolences.

Godspeed to both.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hate hearing stuff like this. Sorry you lost a friend. Hope the families of the victims get thru this the best they can.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very sorry to read this.
I only know him from the TV show, but he seemed like a great guy.
Prayers for the family.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
10 years ago Jim drop me and a friend off for a once in lifetime float hunt. This breaks my heart. God rest his soul and God bless his family.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He was the first one I thought of….I’m so terribly sorry to see this! My prayers for his loving family and wide network of friends.

If it can happen to him….he was an exceptional pilot!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I hate to hear about that. I really enjoyed the show and it’s hard to think about it happening to someone experienced like him.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very sorry to hear of this. Much sympathy goes to all of you that knew the pilot….and to the families of the pilot and the hunter! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very sad deal.

I did not know Jim but like most folks that are exposed to AK aviation I’ve certainly heard of him and his great reputation as a pilot and person in general.

I haven’t heard who the guide was yet but have my suspicions.

Thoughts and sympathy to the families.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Losing Jim leaves a huge void in the region in so many ways. A great pilot with a big heart who put helping above the money he might have made. Always a friendly greeting, often a question about family members or a greeting to pass along. Denial is the device that helps us avoid facing these potentialities. He was one of only a couple pilots who I trusted in some of the crazy weather the area gets.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Really sad

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Jim was a great guy! Just looking from afar, the engine maybe wasn’t producing rated horsepower or a wind/downdraft event. Hate to lose a good person/pilot like that…it can happen to anyone though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The area and terrain where he was flying is apparently known for some wild winds, and they may have been heavy as it sounds like they were moving a camp out and could only take one passenger.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very sad to hear this. Condolences to their families and friends.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Many years ago my younger brother was getting his pilot’s license and since I was the one that loved the outdoors I was thinking about getting my pilots license. My brother solo’d and got his pilot’s license at 15 and has been flying since. When I was seriously considering it I knew that Alaska was where I’d eventually end up but I also knew that Alaska isn’t like flying down here. Alaska flying took a “different type of pilot” and required an attention to “detail” that I don’t possess. It also requires intimate knowledge of the potential regional differences and the weather anomalies that are “specific” to the area which I also didn’t possess. Long ago I came to the conclusion that the money I’d spend on getting my license, insurance, tie-down fees, maintenance and the actual aircraft itself I’d be way ahead if I just paid an experienced professional pilot to fly me wherever I wanted to go.

My respect for the old Alaska bush pilots is as great as my respect for anyone in any profession anywhere! I’ve never regretted my decision to not get my pilot’s license but I would enjoy that amount of freedom. When I see the best of the best….Men like Jim Tweto…lose their lives doing what comes second nature to them, I think I made a good decision.

Talking to my wife earlier about this we both can’t believe that it happened and we’re both heartbroken for his beautiful family and the people and communities he served. He had such a wide circle of people that loved him (and his family) and he was such an important person that gave so much back to everyone that this loss will hurt for a long time to come! He won’t be forgotten and he isn’t someone that can be replaced….

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Your brother must be old if he got his private at 15
It's been 17 for many decades

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A great man has died too young.
He was my age and I deserve to be alive when he is not ?
Didn't the "reality show" fake Jim's retirement at the end of the third season ?
Then he was able to shake off the Hollywood hangers-on and get back to doing what he loved, business as usual.
Doing good.
RIP Jim Tweto.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Rip. Terrible

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.