Home
Posted By: Swamplord Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/28/23
Gonna be the "Wolf Dog Distillery" supposedly

Perfect !
Run outta liquor halfway between ANC to FAI ?
pull up to the Igloo and grab a fifth or two and party on the rest of the way !

Igloo = Wolf Dog Distillery

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/29/23
There goes my dream of owning a strip club
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/29/23
How about that!

Been in there a few times, maybe once when it was actually open.

Would take a helluva tall brass pole.....lol
CWH is a very big brasshole! Uhhhhh.... brasswhole.... UUhhhh...

wink
My students did an investigation on it and supposedly before it was completed a group of satanists from the Valley summoned a demon there that is bound in the circle that was painted along the outside of the inside. It did a lot of really negative things to the first people who stayed there and forced the owner to close down. He had all kinds of financial problems following that and never got it back together. They went there and their parents who own Lat65 had a fifth wheel trailer and did a bunch of exterior studies as they weren't allowed in the structure. They had some strange evp recordings but nothing that convinced me to include it in my narrative. Just a spooky place with some strange rumors.
The IGLOO must be a bout 50 years old IIRC. It seemed to me that the Fire Marshall had issues with the building.
Originally Posted by VernAK
The IGLOO must be a bout 50 years old IIRC. It seemed to me that the Fire Marshall had issues with the building.

I lived in the area in that era. It was built to be a hotel, but it was condemned by the state Fire Marshall because it had no emergency fire egress. So it stands as a monument to the concept of planning and regulation that he Old Alaskan Spirit continues to reject. The Mat-Su Borough continues to struggle politically with land use, zoning, and building codes.

The mere fact that the igloo hasn't collapsed over the past half century is impressive. Even as a brewery, I would think that constructing a simple structure would be preferable to occupying an odd relic unmaintained for so long.

Which was just as he Parks Highway was "roughly" completed. Cantwell part of the highway was 18" of mud, and they would pull vehicles through to solid ground. I was finishing my prove-up on the upper Susitna Homestead and guiding for the Susitna Lodge on the Denali Road. The Igloo was half built.
It won't last. Think about it:
Inflation, no access to cheap natural gas, extremely expensive heating oil in an area with serious below zero weather, way out of town requiring additional expenses for supplies to run the business.

A dude with no Alaskan experience.

A flop before it even opens.......
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Inflation, no access to cheap natural gas, extremely expensive heating oil in an area with serious below zero weather, way out of town requiring additional expenses for supplies to run the business.

Perfect analysis. I agree.........IF it even opens.........
It'll be a huge tourist destination. They'll fly in from all over the world to see and taste this new alcohol made with fresh pure 10,000 year old glacier water that has moose, caribou and wolf pee in it.
Cantwell will be the new epicenter of Alaska.

Or not
Originally Posted by cwh2
Keep the faith, pard. You can get there. !
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by Huntster

I lived in the area in that era. It was built to be a hotel, but it was condemned by the state Fire Marshall because it had no emergency fire egress. So it stands as a monument to the concept of planning and regulation that he Old Alaskan Spirit continues to reject. The Mat-Su Borough continues to struggle politically with land use, zoning, and building codes.

The mere fact that the igloo hasn't collapsed over the past half century is impressive. Even as a brewery, I would think that constructing a simple structure would be preferable to occupying an odd relic unmaintained for so long.

Maybe the demon fortified it...! LOL
Domes are inherently very strong and they have their place, I've worked on a few and mostly they are prone to rot, just not a good design for our climate unless someone really gets creative.
What ever became of Cantwell, Alaska..?? It was a privately owned town, from the Railroad Constriction period. Last I heard they could not legally resub-divide it. And were going to turn it into a "Land Condominium Project".
Posted By: las Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/30/23
Originally Posted by ironbender
Keep the faith, pard. You can get there. !

Not if he's the stripper
Maybe he can wait downwind of Delta Junction and catch some of the skinny women Vern says get blown out of town...
Is Vern C. still living in Cantwell??
Posted By: 79S Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/30/23

This guy is doing well.. makes excellent beer as well. But he’s doing it his house. Mike I suspect they are hoping to catch the tour buses driving to the park. Sell trinkets and beer.

https://www.gakonabrewing.com/
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/30/23
If the distillery folds I'll start a gofundme for the strip club.
Posted By: 79S Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 06/30/23

In that case trinkets and a lap dance..
Looks like a real zhithole.

I'll donate a dollar
Me too! I will donate a dollar... at a time!
So has inflation made a dollar laughable to a stripper?

If the stripper has been subject to inflation, should they be cheaper?

Asking for a friend... Ironbender did not want to make a scene...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
So has inflation made a dollar laughable to a stripper?

If the stripper has been subject to inflation, should they be cheaper?

Asking for a friend... Ironbender did not want to make a scene...
I was in one in OKC with a hoss shoeing “pard”. He was out of money, but deeply in lust. He dug deep. I mean DEEP! Came up with about $1.35 in change.

Yes he did.
BTW, GFY!
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/01/23
Wasn't that thing foamed on the outside?
BTW, GFY!
Laughing!
Posted By: akpls Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/02/23
I wish them luck. There has been talk of rehabbing the Igloo for as long as there's been talk of tearing down the Polaris in Fairbanks....lots of years! But it looks like the Polaris may finally be coming down so maybe the Igloo will work out too. smile
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/02/23
Originally Posted by akpls
I wish them luck. There has been talk of rehabbing the Igloo for as long as there's been talk of tearing down the Polaris in Fairbanks....lots of years! But it looks like the Polaris may finally be coming down so maybe the Igloo will work out too. smile

The Polaris is coming down, I remember dining at the oriental restuarant there. Forgot the name..?
Use to be connected to the Mecca
It does look a little like a "Dusk Till Dawn" place lol
I heard it didn't meet building codes when it was built in the 70's. What makes any sensible person think it would be a good building investment 50 years later?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I heard it didn't meet building codes when it was built in the 70's. What makes any sensible person think it would be a good building investment 50 years later?

The general population isn’t worth protecting anymore? People in the 70’s were more valuable than people today? Fire behavior has evolved and adapted to nullify any benefit that multiple emergency exits once offered? Building emergency exits after the fact are now possible since the advent of the computer has made the “impossible” possible?
The building stood the test of time & proves that building codes are horse shyte, it took one pos inspector who felt his jimmies were being rustled to condemn a building and destroy a guys dream...

Government is the enemy of people
Built in the 70's ...
Will there be asbestos in the adult beverages served there?
That works for either stripclub or brewery/distillery/etc.
Whatever, please don't do that to Bourbon.
Asbestos bah, isn't this Alaska we're talking about?
Having been built of foam insulation, perhaps a refrigeration unit could be installed and folks could hang their Nelchina Caribou for a nominal fee.
Igloo lasted longer than the Caribou herds!
Hope they don't follow the current national advertising trend and chose a Clydesdale style mascot dog sled team made up of rainbow-colored poodles.
This is what I'm talkin about lol

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/04/23
Originally Posted by colorado
This is what I'm talkin about lol

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yah, maybe the tour buses will stop so the bluehairs can gawk...

LOL
I drove past it a few hours ago.
I was in Vegas during COVID for a meeting, the only people there were blue hairs. They were riding around on scooters with oxygen tanks like a biker gang of smurfs. It was so cute.
I'd be worried about rot.

That said it didn't meet codes for hotel. Various occupancies run under various code rules and while it might not have met code for a multi residence occupancy it could well have met code for other occupancies easily.
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/09/23
Originally Posted by rost495
I'd be worried about rot.

That said it didn't meet codes for hotel. Various occupancies run under various code rules and while it might not have met code for a multi residence occupancy it could well have met code for other occupancies easily.

Rot would be the problem, especially if its foamed. Those things are strong till the wood gets punky.

Probably ok yet since it hasn't been occupied.
As long as they don`t do things that put a lot of water in the air...
Posted By: JeffA Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/11/23
One thing is for sure, the Cantwell Igloo is is one of the most photographed and talked about structures on earth in the category of places where nothing ever happened.

Not to mention lack of skilled, or unskilled workforce nearby.
3 month season for tourists to visit, ok plus the Arctic Man crowd
Distilleries can't serve food on premises so they'll have to build a separate restaurant
People travel to visit distilleries that have established products and history, not because they build them in a tacky 70's era failed hotel.

If you're going to build a distillery it needs to be in a population hub for work force, clientel, raw materials, etc., Not to mention it's tough business to crack because the aged spirits get all the hype, but you need to start out with non aged spirits to get capital flowing. Do they have a master distiller, or established recipes? Really expensive to build a distillery and have your distiller try to come up with good recipes. Illegal to come up with recipes before investing in a distillery and getting licensed.
Tiki Cove ....... gone early 90......BTW > I've been going snow machining in Cantwell every year since the early 90s.... the kind of stripper you're going to get at the igloo in early February eekit's going to be pretty damn ugly sick
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Tiki Cove ....... gone early 90......BTW > I've been going snow machining in Cantwell every year since the early 90s.... the kind of stripper you're going to get at the igloo in early February eekit's going to be pretty damn ugly sick

With chilled nipples...
You misspelled perky.
Posted By: sayak Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/18/23
My ex-brother-in-law stopped there to get gas and his daughter got out and had her face was chewed on by the owner's dog. Lots of damage. He sued, and I think that contributed to the igloo's demise.
Originally Posted by sayak
My ex-brother-in-law stopped there to get gas and his daughter got out and had her face was chewed on by the owner's dog. Lots of damage. He sued, and I think that contributed to the igloo's demise.
eek
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/18/23

Like breathing...lol
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/18/23

Tiki Cove, ala "Top of the Pole"....
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/18/23

Tomato / potato.

You see a problem, I see a lot of tax deductible business trips for recruiting purposes. Its what I like to call a win/when.
Originally Posted by johnn

Like breathing...lol
Exactly!
You misspelled perky.
Big difference between sticky-outy and stabbing the slab below!

Perky would be fantasy!
The igloo by Cantwell is like Art Peck. You hear it brought up and the first thing you think is wow still alive and the second thought is why? And your third thought is still alive and still useless.

Go away igloo and art!
I wasn’t familiar with you or your posts so I took a quick look back on some of yours and I understand how I never noticed, it’s because you are a wholly unremarkable individual. Other than your outhouse attitude you are an empty vessel not worthy of anymore thought or consideration than one would give to the used toilet paper after tossing it into the hole. Based upon 100% of the dozen or so random posts of yours that I looked at you are nothing more than a sh.it stirring douche. You don’t have anything decent to say to anyone and you offer no help or normal, mature dialogue. You seem to have 1 goal and that’s to be and disagreeable for no reason. Why not just be decent? It’s one thing to respond the way you respond if you were being treated poorly but that’s not the case here, you go out of your way to show your ass.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I wasn’t familiar with you or your posts so I took a quick look back on some of yours and I understand how I never noticed, it’s because you are a wholly unremarkable individual. Other than your outhouse attitude you are an empty vessel not worthy of anymore thought or consideration than one would give to the used toilet paper after tossing it into the hole. Based upon 100% of the dozen or so random posts of yours that I looked at you are nothing more than a sh.it stirring douche. You don’t have anything decent to say to anyone and you offer no help or normal, mature dialogue. You seem to have 1 goal and that’s to be and disagreeable for no reason. Why not just be decent? It’s one thing to respond the way you respond if you were being treated poorly but that’s not the case here, you go out of your way to show your ass.
It’s what a bitter, miserable, POS does! 😆😆
Maybe he can wait downwind of Delta Junction and catch some of the skinny women Vern says get blown out of town...

This sounds like a good idea.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

This sounds like a good idea.

I was kidding! That damn velocity squared means you have to be a very good judge of mass and still have the nerve to try to catch one that looks small enough! And slow enough!
A large net might work.
Posted By: johnn Re: Cantwell Igloo lives again ! - 07/23/23
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

As you describe yourself to a T..lol
© 24hourcampfire