Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by colorado
This is what I'm talkin about lol

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yah, maybe the tour buses will stop so the bluehairs can gawk...

LOL

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I drove past it a few hours ago.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was in Vegas during COVID for a meeting, the only people there were blue hairs. They were riding around on scooters with oxygen tanks like a biker gang of smurfs. It was so cute.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I heard it didn't meet building codes when it was built in the 70's. What makes any sensible person think it would be a good building investment 50 years later?
I'd be worried about rot.

That said it didn't meet codes for hotel. Various occupancies run under various code rules and while it might not have met code for a multi residence occupancy it could well have met code for other occupancies easily.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I heard it didn't meet building codes when it was built in the 70's. What makes any sensible person think it would be a good building investment 50 years later?
I'd be worried about rot.

That said it didn't meet codes for hotel. Various occupancies run under various code rules and while it might not have met code for a multi residence occupancy it could well have met code for other occupancies easily.

Rot would be the problem, especially if its foamed. Those things are strong till the wood gets punky.

Probably ok yet since it hasn't been occupied.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as they don`t do things that put a lot of water in the air...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing is for sure, the Cantwell Igloo is is one of the most photographed and talked about structures on earth in the category of places where nothing ever happened.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
It won't last. Think about it:
Inflation, no access to cheap natural gas, extremely expensive heating oil in an area with serious below zero weather, way out of town requiring additional expenses for supplies to run the business.

A dude with no Alaskan experience.

A flop before it even opens.......

Not to mention lack of skilled, or unskilled workforce nearby.
3 month season for tourists to visit, ok plus the Arctic Man crowd
Distilleries can't serve food on premises so they'll have to build a separate restaurant
People travel to visit distilleries that have established products and history, not because they build them in a tacky 70's era failed hotel.

If you're going to build a distillery it needs to be in a population hub for work force, clientel, raw materials, etc., Not to mention it's tough business to crack because the aged spirits get all the hype, but you need to start out with non aged spirits to get capital flowing. Do they have a master distiller, or established recipes? Really expensive to build a distillery and have your distiller try to come up with good recipes. Illegal to come up with recipes before investing in a distillery and getting licensed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tiki Cove ....... gone early 90......BTW > I've been going snow machining in Cantwell every year since the early 90s.... the kind of stripper you're going to get at the igloo in early February eekit's going to be pretty damn ugly sick

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Tiki Cove ....... gone early 90......BTW > I've been going snow machining in Cantwell every year since the early 90s.... the kind of stripper you're going to get at the igloo in early February eekit's going to be pretty damn ugly sick

With chilled nipples...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You misspelled perky.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My ex-brother-in-law stopped there to get gas and his daughter got out and had her face was chewed on by the owner's dog. Lots of damage. He sued, and I think that contributed to the igloo's demise.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sayak
My ex-brother-in-law stopped there to get gas and his daughter got out and had her face was chewed on by the owner's dog. Lots of damage. He sued, and I think that contributed to the igloo's demise.
eek

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Like breathing...lol

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Tiki Cove, ala "Top of the Pole"....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Tomato / potato.

You see a problem, I see a lot of tax deductible business trips for recruiting purposes. Its what I like to call a win/when.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Like breathing...lol
Exactly!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
You misspelled perky.
Big difference between sticky-outy and stabbing the slab below!

Perky would be fantasy!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The igloo by Cantwell is like Art Peck. You hear it brought up and the first thing you think is wow still alive and the second thought is why? And your third thought is still alive and still useless.

Go away igloo and art!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wasn’t familiar with you or your posts so I took a quick look back on some of yours and I understand how I never noticed, it’s because you are a wholly unremarkable individual. Other than your outhouse attitude you are an empty vessel not worthy of anymore thought or consideration than one would give to the used toilet paper after tossing it into the hole. Based upon 100% of the dozen or so random posts of yours that I looked at you are nothing more than a sh.it stirring douche. You don’t have anything decent to say to anyone and you offer no help or normal, mature dialogue. You seem to have 1 goal and that’s to be and disagreeable for no reason. Why not just be decent? It’s one thing to respond the way you respond if you were being treated poorly but that’s not the case here, you go out of your way to show your ass.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.