Home
We are supposed to close on the sale of our house in a week. If all goes well we are moving back to Alaska!
At almost 71 I have to be nuts. Both the wife and I feel like Alaska is truly home for us so it is the right thing to do. We absolutely love Tennessee and our property here but we must follow our hearts and move back.
CONGRATS!
A slightly premature Welcome HOME.
Don't beat yourself up too much. When I retired, we moved 550 miles north to above the Arctic Circle, for "1-3 years"

Stayed for 8. And now missing it, having moved back. Can't have it all, I guess.

Where you headed to? South Central?
Headed to Anchorage/Valley/Chugiak/Eagle River area
Currently Wasilla seems to be leading the way for a house.
I left about the same time you did, but came back in 2022. Why? Because it’s home. It’s where family is.
Welcome home.
Thanks, we will meet for lunch after we get settled in
Randy
Welcome back, Randy!
Good for you. Have known more than a few that moved back after seeing how the other “half” live down in America!
Thanks Dan.
Dan and I spent more than a few hours making halibut jigs. And they worked awesome!
Alaska = last civilized place on the planet!
Most likely we are going to proud members of the "Valley Trash" club, lol.
I'm jealous. Congrats
Lived in Wasilla for about a year many years ago and really liked it. Last time I was up there Wasilla had grown up to much for me. Lived back in away between Wasilla and Big Lake, back in behind Scatter's! Was pretty much alone back there but suited me just fine!
Welcome back
Thanks Calvin, we close on the selling of our house this afternoon. After that we have no choice but to move.
good for you enjoy Alaska ! Pete53
We recently did similar, after 50 years we sold our house in Georgia and moved back to the UP. Of Michigan. Everyone thinks we're crazy 🤪
Safe travels! Hopefully can share a beer or coffee some day in the future!
It is now official. We just departed the closing office. Now to intensify the search for a home in the valley. We have 90 days to vacate our house in Tennessee.
Congratulations. I left Alaska to pick up a girl and had to spend two years down south before we returned together in 2022. I am sure glad to be back, and am sure you will be too. Good luck!
Congratulations on escaping.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
It is now official. We just departed the closing office. Now to intensify the search for a home in the valley. We have 90 days to vacate our house in Tennessee.

Thats pretty slick. You closed AND have 90 days? Must be a hot market.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Thats pretty slick. You closed AND have 90 days? Must be a hot market.

Made it clear to any potential buyer that was a requirement. We wanted to make sure funds from our current house were in our account before we started house hunting and before we moved out of the house. I thought it was a smart move on my part as well:)
Welcome back Randy
Thank you!
I spent the last 6 years selling off all my large caliber rifles including 4 doubles as they were of little use in Tennessee. Now I find myself selling off most of my smaller caliber stuff before I move back. If nothing else, I am good for the economy, lol.
Welcome back, Randy. You sold me your ATV trailer and .450 Marlin ammo and probably some other stuff. Get back up before you sell off the small bore stuff!
There’s a house for sale in Brendelwood (ER) that is not yet on the market. Fantastic views and the owners really did a great remodel. Worth looking at for sure as you both might be able to make a good deal even better. Plus, you’d get to be our neighbor!

Bob
Reminds me. My boss great neighbor is moving away from Wasilla this spring too. Really nice house and super nice garage shop over close to the Harley dealer there. Can't recall the cutoff road at the moment. Its not on the market yet either. FWIW. Really good subdivision too with some really good folks.
The Anchorage housing market is NUTS. We looked at a house in south Anchorage that listed for 787k.
Realtor told us it sold the same day it was listed for $900k
It's still a seller's market, you would think that interest rates being what they are, things would slow down.

Building is not a great proposition either, materials and labor have gone up.
Originally Posted by rost495
Reminds me. My boss great neighbor is moving away from Wasilla this spring too. Really nice house and super nice garage shop over close to the Harley dealer there. Can't recall the cutoff road at the moment. Its not on the market yet either. FWIW. Really good subdivision too with some really good folks.

Hyer Road ? The Wasilla Harley Shop building used to be an animal feed place, we gutted the building and remodeled it completely back in '02 -'03

Good neighborhoods back there and a bunch of good folks in the area
The Anchorage housing market is NUTS. We looked at a house in south Anchorage that listed for 787k.

Yeah it’s pretty much bidding wars for appropriately priced homes with so many buyers wanting stuff. All the folks that listened to the crash bros are paying bigly.
Bob,
Can you tell me the address of the house coming up for sale in Brendlewood?
Thanks
Randy
Literally. I couldnt even afford anchorage especially with interest rates and the bidding wars.

I even had some of the bidding wars in south wasilla. But I did secure a home in "the ranch".. good luck! I'll be moving there may 10th.
Originally Posted by Stopemdead
Literally. I couldnt even afford anchorage especially with interest rates and the bidding wars.

I even had some of the bidding wars in south wasilla. But I did secure a home in "the ranch".. good luck! I'll be moving there may 10th.

Is that what they call that new higher end subdivision to the east of Trunk Road where all the new construction is happening?
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by rost495

Hyer Road ? The Wasilla Harley Shop building used to be an animal feed place, we gutted the building and remodeled it completely back in '02 -'03

Good neighborhoods back there and a bunch of good folks in the area
Yes, Hyer/Trunk.. Some issues but overall seems like a good area and good people.
Originally Posted by Stopemdead

Is that what they call that new higher end subdivision to the east of Trunk Road where all the new construction is happening?
I see the words the Ranch every day when I drive out that direction. So its gotta be the name of part of all that new construction around the new convenience( couple of years) store there.
Yup that's it. It was either buy a house north or south. I prefered south because I'll be a commuter daily to anchorage.
Finally found a house that both the wife and I liked with a 3 car garage and RV parking permitted. We even have space between us and the neighbors to blow the snow as far as the blower will send it! House is located in "The Ranch". We would of preferred Anchorage or Eagle River but the cost, size of the lots, and parking restrictions pushed us out to the valley. Most likely we will close in 5 weeks or so but won't be driving up till end of June.
Congrats! Maybe we will run into each other one day.
I wish y’all the very best. Since I was a kid I wanted to move to Alaska, never even made a visit! Stay active on the forum……I’ll live vicariously through you! memtb

SAME......in Soldotna, Alaska.
Finally found a house that both the wife and I liked with a 3 car garage and RV parking permitted. We even have space between us and the neighbors to blow the snow as far as the blower will send it! House is located in "The Ranch". We would of preferred Anchorage or Eagle River but the cost, size of the lots, and parking restrictions pushed us out to the valley. Most likely we will close in 5 weeks or so but won't be driving up till end of June.

Welcome to the conservative stronghold of the state Matsu burrough. I was coming out of government hill gate down to C street and the hillside right in front Alaska railroad train depot where they unload the tourist to walk up the hill and wander anchorage covered in a homeless encampments. It looked like chit lol. Also we have a higher military and sr property tax break.
GFY.

Good For Y’all!
© 24hourcampfire