Home
Posted By: Ringman gun case for travel - 03/18/14
Maybe someone here could suggest a couple gun cases: One to get the rifle and another to get a scoped revolver to Alaska.
Posted By: Greenbrier Re: gun case for travel - 03/18/14
I use a Pecican 1750. I have taken it all over AK and to several lower 48 states. There is plenty of room in there for 2 scoped rifles, ammo, range finder, etc.
Posted By: st8tman Re: gun case for travel - 03/18/14
2X On Pelican 1750 for Longuns, Pelican also makes suitable size cases for pistols. If they are tough enough for US Special Forces, they are tough enough for me. Not the fanciest case out there, but surely one of the Toughest!
Posted By: BlindMouse2of3 Re: gun case for travel - 03/18/14
+1 for pelican.
Posted By: Ringman Re: gun case for travel - 03/18/14
Thanks, boys. Lord willin' I will get one on the way.
Posted By: Ringman Re: gun case for travel - 03/18/14
I got one from ebay for $180 shipped! Thanks again for the advise.
Posted By: KC Re: gun case for travel - 03/19/14

I own a couple of Cabelas "Bulletproof" gun cases; a single gun case and a double gun case. I've flown many times and had no problems. I looked at Cabelas on-line catalog and don't see them there. Maybe they stopped making them.

So you better go with the Pelican 1750. Get a 2-gun case and put your handgun and fragile optics, electronics, etc., inside. You don't want to carry a case for the rifle and another for the handgun because you will have to pay extra baggage fee.

KC

Posted By: Ringman Re: gun case for travel - 03/19/14
KC,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hate paying extra for something when taking someone's advice can save the money.

Is it O.K. to put the ammo in the case with the guns?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: gun case for travel - 03/19/14
Originally Posted by Ringman
KC,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hate paying extra for something when taking someone's advice can save the money.

You have to ask your airline. Rules are constantly changing and vary from airline to airline and country to country and month to month. Literally.
Posted By: rost495 Re: gun case for travel - 03/19/14
I would simply assume no on the ammo and you should be safe.

I've never tried ammo and gun in same case.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: gun case for travel - 03/19/14
Give these guys a call:
http://www.icc-case.com/firearm-cases/

They make a super tough case, and were the guys that made the Cabelas bulletproof cases. As them specifically about their return/demo cases. I got a black 5214 w/wheels for half price, delivered, and it looks like new. I'd personally pick an aluminum case over a hard plastic one.
Posted By: KC Re: gun case for travel - 03/19/14
Originally Posted by Ringman
KC,

Every time I've flown, I have placed the ammo in the case with the rifles. The airlines require that ammo be in "manufacture's original packaging". So if I'm reloading, I put the bullets into an old manufacturers box.

KC

Here's the link to Alaska Airlines firearms policy. It includes ammo policy.
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/baggage-firearms.aspx

Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: gun case for travel - 03/20/14
I have a twelve year old skb case and a new pelican. Both very good . No issues ever with any guns i hauled in them. I lock my ammo in the case with gun. Never had any issue with that either. I always have my ammo in factory boxes. My understanding is plastic cartridge boxes are ok as well.
Posted By: las Re: gun case for travel - 03/20/14
Ammo in the case is fine with AK Airlines - don't know about anyone else. And yes, plastic ammo boxes like MTM are fine- don't have to be factory boxes. Loose ammo is not. I've got a bunch of various rounds - some of them personably usable- that I've acquired as "left-overs" from TSA at the airport where I'm an airline ramper. Not real sure about butt-stock or the belt-type nylon containers.

I've not seen TSA open gun cases the last few times I've flown with one here in Alaska - mostly they just swab them and make sure the declaration is inside, and that one cannot insert a hand inside the case.
Posted By: highcountry Re: gun case for travel - 03/20/14
I've been using a tuffpak case for a couple years now. They're a bit of a pain to load, but I like putting a bunch of my hunting clothes in the case as stuffing to reduce the number of bags required to haul. The other nice thing about the tuffpak is that they look more like a golf club case than a gun case so it doesn't scream out high value target at the airport.

On last year's trip to AK I had two long-guns, my Redhawk, and the ammo for all three in the one tuffpak case(each firearm was in it's own softcase inside the tuffpak). Alaska Airlines and TSA had no problems with this setup, in fact they were quite complimentary of it.
Posted By: 1sgStephen Re: gun case for travel - 03/20/14
+1 for the Tuffpak, holds much more than just a rifle. I'm able to place my rifle in the soft case in it then pack it with other gear to reach 50lbs. I also use sports cases like this lockable golf case, these don't get the attention rifle cases do.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: arctic338 Re: gun case for travel - 03/20/14
I put ammo in the case with my rifle every year when going to deer camp in Michigan. No problems from Delta or Alaska airlines.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: gun case for travel - 03/21/14
Another vote for the Pelican 1750. Holds 2 rifles or rifle + pistol + optics + etc. Have put ammo in the case with rifle every year, no issues on Delta, Southwest, etc.
Thanks, my step son was just asking about this....
Posted By: kk alaska Re: gun case for travel - 03/21/14
What about oversize charges?

From AK Airlines rules

Each checked piece of sporting equipment listed below is subject to our standard checked baggage service charge, overweight (51-100 pounds) fee or oversize (62" - 115" linear inches: length + height + width) fee. Refer to our Checked Baggage page for checked piece, overweight and oversize charges.

2014 Rules
Excess/Oversize/Overweight Summary

Overweight baggage will be charged if any of your bags weighs more than the allowed 23kg (50 lbs). This fee is $50 each way. This is a flat rate for overweight bags, up to a maximum of 100lbs. Alaska Airlines doesn't accept bags heavier than 100lbs.

Oversize baggage will be charged depending on by how much they exceed the maximum allowed dimensions of 62 linear inches. Total dimensions between 63-80 in will cost $50, and larger bags of 81-115in will be $75.

Your bag's size is calculated in linear dimensions, with the TOTAL of LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT not allowed to exceed the specified amount.

Does the Tuffpack and others meet the 62" rule. If not the tariff is expensive. I hate repacking at airport and was a concern with the Tuffpack. I travel quite a bit and oversize charges would get steep. I don,t have any problems with AK
Airlines but when I travel outside there Hub, and use a affilate like Delta I get hit with baggage fees. So need to meet the 62" rule to avoid surprises.
Posted By: highcountry Re: gun case for travel - 03/21/14
Alaska airlines didn't charge me extra when flying up there last year and mine was definitely over 50 lbs. it may of been waived due to having exec platinum status on American Airlines tho.
Posted By: BearPrince Re: gun case for travel - 03/21/14
Alaska airlines has always treated my double aluminum gun case as a normal piece of luggage (I didn't have to pay extra). Either get the aluminum or a Pelican case.
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: gun case for travel - 03/21/14
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen
+1 for the Tuffpak, holds much more than just a rifle. I'm able to place my rifle in the soft case in it then pack it with other gear to reach 50lbs. I also use sports cases like this lockable golf case, these don't get the attention rifle cases do.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking Mustang also...what year is it?
Posted By: 1sgStephen Re: gun case for travel - 03/21/14
Originally Posted by markopolo50
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen

[Linked Image]

Nice looking Mustang also...what year is it?

I have flown many times with both my Tuffpak and the Golf case and have not been charged extra on Alaska Airlines.
Posted By: Tundragriz Re: gun case for travel - 03/21/14
TSA says ammo can be carried in the case with the gun in packaging suitable for small arms ammunition. The airlines has the right to make this more restrictive if they choose but currently none of the US carriers do. Good idea to print out and carry the TSA guidelines and the specific carrier guidelines.

The US carriers allow one rifle case to count as one checked piece even if it exceeds the dimensional limits, again carry a printout of the guidelines. If it exceeds 50 pound you will be charged for excess weight.

Alaska Airlines:
Firearms / Shooting Equipment
The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.
� Shooting Equipment
� One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
� One shotgun case with shotguns, or
� One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
There is no limit to the number or type of firearms (rifles/shotguns/pistols) per case. Different firearm types may be in the same case as long as each type is properly packed.

Ammunition
On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3440-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/baggage-firearms.aspx

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_ammunition.html

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

I used an older Pelican, then a Tuffpak to Mongolia, now again back to the newer style pelican. Both have their pros and cons. For me the convenience of the pelican outweighs its disadvantages. I pack it to 49lb and always take a pic of its contents before flying.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 1Nut Re: gun case for travel - 03/23/14
I've used a lockable SKB R4913S golf club travel case since 2003 for all my travels with a rifle. Room for the rifle and you can surround the rifle in a soft case with clothes and other items. I take some comfort in thinking that baggage handlers and others think they are throwing around golf clubs rather than a rifle (if they do not take notice of the attached seal).
Posted By: Centurion75 Re: gun case for travel - 03/25/14
I also used a Pelican case on my trip to Alaska last year after all the recommendations from the fire. I flew AK air and had no problems. Ammo can be in the case as already said. I was not charged for oversized luggage.
Just make sure you read up on how it is supposed to be locked. TSA locks for your luggage. Regular locks on your gun case.
Plan on your nice new case looking ten years old after your flight. I literally watched the baggage guy THROW my case down a ramp on my return flight into Boston. cool

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]
© 24hourcampfire