Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe someone here could suggest a couple gun cases: One to get the rifle and another to get a scoped revolver to Alaska.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use a Pecican 1750. I have taken it all over AK and to several lower 48 states. There is plenty of room in there for 2 scoped rifles, ammo, range finder, etc.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
2X On Pelican 1750 for Longuns, Pelican also makes suitable size cases for pistols. If they are tough enough for US Special Forces, they are tough enough for me. Not the fanciest case out there, but surely one of the Toughest!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
+1 for pelican.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, boys. Lord willin' I will get one on the way.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got one from ebay for $180 shipped! Thanks again for the advise.

Everyday Hunter
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I own a couple of Cabelas "Bulletproof" gun cases; a single gun case and a double gun case. I've flown many times and had no problems. I looked at Cabelas on-line catalog and don't see them there. Maybe they stopped making them.

So you better go with the Pelican 1750. Get a 2-gun case and put your handgun and fragile optics, electronics, etc., inside. You don't want to carry a case for the rifle and another for the handgun because you will have to pay extra baggage fee.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
KC,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hate paying extra for something when taking someone's advice can save the money.

Is it O.K. to put the ammo in the case with the guns?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
KC,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hate paying extra for something when taking someone's advice can save the money.

You have to ask your airline. Rules are constantly changing and vary from airline to airline and country to country and month to month. Literally.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would simply assume no on the ammo and you should be safe.

I've never tried ammo and gun in same case.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Give these guys a call:
http://www.icc-case.com/firearm-cases/

They make a super tough case, and were the guys that made the Cabelas bulletproof cases. As them specifically about their return/demo cases. I got a black 5214 w/wheels for half price, delivered, and it looks like new. I'd personally pick an aluminum case over a hard plastic one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
KC,

Every time I've flown, I have placed the ammo in the case with the rifles. The airlines require that ammo be in "manufacture's original packaging". So if I'm reloading, I put the bullets into an old manufacturers box.

KC

Here's the link to Alaska Airlines firearms policy. It includes ammo policy.
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/baggage-firearms.aspx

Last edited by KC; 03/19/14. Reason: Add Linky

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a twelve year old skb case and a new pelican. Both very good . No issues ever with any guns i hauled in them. I lock my ammo in the case with gun. Never had any issue with that either. I always have my ammo in factory boxes. My understanding is plastic cartridge boxes are ok as well.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ammo in the case is fine with AK Airlines - don't know about anyone else. And yes, plastic ammo boxes like MTM are fine- don't have to be factory boxes. Loose ammo is not. I've got a bunch of various rounds - some of them personably usable- that I've acquired as "left-overs" from TSA at the airport where I'm an airline ramper. Not real sure about butt-stock or the belt-type nylon containers.

I've not seen TSA open gun cases the last few times I've flown with one here in Alaska - mostly they just swab them and make sure the declaration is inside, and that one cannot insert a hand inside the case.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've been using a tuffpak case for a couple years now. They're a bit of a pain to load, but I like putting a bunch of my hunting clothes in the case as stuffing to reduce the number of bags required to haul. The other nice thing about the tuffpak is that they look more like a golf club case than a gun case so it doesn't scream out high value target at the airport.

On last year's trip to AK I had two long-guns, my Redhawk, and the ammo for all three in the one tuffpak case(each firearm was in it's own softcase inside the tuffpak). Alaska Airlines and TSA had no problems with this setup, in fact they were quite complimentary of it.

Last edited by highcountry; 03/20/14. Reason: added to the post
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 for the Tuffpak, holds much more than just a rifle. I'm able to place my rifle in the soft case in it then pack it with other gear to reach 50lbs. I also use sports cases like this lockable golf case, these don't get the attention rifle cases do.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put ammo in the case with my rifle every year when going to deer camp in Michigan. No problems from Delta or Alaska airlines.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Another vote for the Pelican 1750. Holds 2 rifles or rifle + pistol + optics + etc. Have put ammo in the case with rifle every year, no issues on Delta, Southwest, etc.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks, my step son was just asking about this....

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What about oversize charges?

From AK Airlines rules

Each checked piece of sporting equipment listed below is subject to our standard checked baggage service charge, overweight (51-100 pounds) fee or oversize (62" - 115" linear inches: length + height + width) fee. Refer to our Checked Baggage page for checked piece, overweight and oversize charges.

2014 Rules
Excess/Oversize/Overweight Summary

Overweight baggage will be charged if any of your bags weighs more than the allowed 23kg (50 lbs). This fee is $50 each way. This is a flat rate for overweight bags, up to a maximum of 100lbs. Alaska Airlines doesn't accept bags heavier than 100lbs.

Oversize baggage will be charged depending on by how much they exceed the maximum allowed dimensions of 62 linear inches. Total dimensions between 63-80 in will cost $50, and larger bags of 81-115in will be $75.

Your bag's size is calculated in linear dimensions, with the TOTAL of LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT not allowed to exceed the specified amount.

Does the Tuffpack and others meet the 62" rule. If not the tariff is expensive. I hate repacking at airport and was a concern with the Tuffpack. I travel quite a bit and oversize charges would get steep. I don,t have any problems with AK
Airlines but when I travel outside there Hub, and use a affilate like Delta I get hit with baggage fees. So need to meet the 62" rule to avoid surprises.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/21/14.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (300_savage, 35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,881
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.