Home
Posted By: FOsteology Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
Without going into details, I have a potential opportunity to work on a project (IT) in Juneau for a couple years.
I've only visited once when our cruise ship stopped for a few hours. Didn't get a good "vibe" as seemed to have quite a few bums.

What's the skinny on the town? Good place to live and work? Any outdoor opportunities? Hunting? Fishing pretty good?
Weather similar to Ketchikan?

Better to look for IT opportunities in "Las Anchorage"?

Appreciate the insight and advice.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
Never been to Juno. It has a hugely transient population between government workers and those supporting the tourist industry which I've heard makes for a somewhat strange mix of people. Even though you're on the mainland, you're landlocked with no road out so need to consider that would be an issue for you.

My general thought on Alaska is so long as you're making enough money and have enough time off there are plenty of outdoor opportunities, hunting and fishing. You're in SE Alaska, yes there is fishing wink As far as big game hunting in Alaska, game populations are in general much lower than down South so you need to look at hunts as 1-2 week expeditions. The only advantage you have is resident hunting license and tags, but expect to put in the time to research good areas and the $ to access them.

IMHO Anchorage can arguably be considered to have the best outdoor opportunities anywhere in the world. Aside from surfing, you'd be hard pressed to name an outdoor sport or activity that is more than an hour drive from Anchorage.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
Unfortunately there are 300,000 others that can drive an hour from Anchorage too.

If you're a boat guy and plan on purchasing a boat, I'd go to Juneau without a doubt. If you'll miss suburbia go Anchorage.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
$$ wouldn't be a primary concern, but time certainly would. Doubt seriously I'd be able to take off for more than 3-4 days.
I read where Anchorage too has a huge population of homeless.
Not a boat guy, and no intentions to buy. By the time I'd figure that sheit out, it be time to leave.
I love the waters of SE.
If you ain't a boat guy, go to Anchorage
Since I wouldn't get much time off, and no boat, my outdoor recreation activities would be mainly fishing where a boat is not required, and hiking.
If you wouldn't have much time off and only be here for a couple years you're dollars and fish ahead taking the occasional fishing charter vs. owning a boat.

You might be able to find a hiking trail or two around Anchorage. Popular trails are hiked year round with just enough foot traffic to pack down the snow but seldom do you see more than a few parties at a given time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A canoe isn't a 1/2 bad way to get off the beaten path and catch a fish or two.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've been to Anchorage a time or two. The small bedroom community outside (Eagle River) looked good.
Yeah, I noticed there was a trail or two to explore around Anchorage.
Posted By: akpls Re: Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
Based on my admittedly now outdated experience (93-95) Juneau housing was very expensive.....hard to find decent stuff for a decent price. And if you had pets...even harder. I don't think it's gotten any better.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
Muskegman could give you a better idea of Juneau, but it'd be pretty far down on my list of places I'd want to live. Just my opinion.
Posted By: WDH Re: Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
Anchorage sucks, tell all your friends.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Juneau Questions - 10/07/17
Originally Posted by WDH

Why does Anchorage suck? Crime, population, vagrants, liberals?
Posted By: 907brass Re: Juneau Questions - 10/08/17
I'm a Juneau guy; I've lived here for 18 years. I love it for many reasons, but there are things that aren't the best, too.
Speaking directly to the 'bums' you mentioned; they're not everywhere. They are mostly just right downtown and at night. In the rest of town it's not bad.
Crime is up in recent years, but still not as bad as Anchorage. Hunting is great, fishing is fantastic, weather is similar to Ketchikan. K-town seems to pour rain more for less amounts of time, and Juneau drizzles for a bit longer. It's hard to beat a good day in Juneau; there is so much to do outdoors.
What else do you want to know?
Posted By: 79S Re: Juneau Questions - 10/08/17
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by WDH

Why does Anchorage suck? Crime, population, vagrants, liberals?

I agree tell anyone and everyone Anchorage sucks along with wasilla... lol
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Juneau Questions - 10/08/17
I don't want to live in a big city. Doesn't matter that it's in Alaska or NY, I want no part of 300,000 people.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Juneau Questions - 10/08/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't want to live in a big city. Doesn't matter that it's in Alaska or NY, I want no part of 300,000 people.

Agree, but remember I'm specifically looking at gigs that are temporary. I'm semi-retired, and basically taking on projects to keep busy. It's an opportunity to live in Alaska for a spell and get a better feel on whether or not I'd make the plunge later on down the road to relocate/retire for 1/2 the year.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Juneau Questions - 10/08/17
Anchorage can be city living, or not.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Either in my yard or within a mile of the house I've seen moose, black bear, grizzly bear, lynx, wolverine and mountain goats.

It takes but a wee bit of effort to experience Alaska living in Anchorage or get away from city dwellers.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Juneau Questions - 10/08/17
FOsteology,

If I was you I'd jump at the opportunity, especially if it's just for a year or two.

I lived there for about 14 months in 2007-'08. Wonderful experience for an outsider. Stay out of downtown and there's not much of a problem with "bums". Folks I found were nice enough. Rents might shock you, but hopefully you'll be compensated with AK wages. Are you tough? Have an RV or camp trailer? I lived in one while there and it sure made rent a more likable proposition.

Wonderful hiking in the area, same with the scenery. I didn't hunt due to the one year wait for a resident license (don't get me going on "residency" issues, having moved to about 7 states in the past 20 years I have opinions frown ) I did fish though, and fishing from shore was enjoyable enough in the salt chuck. Couple of streams around there too. Friends with boats are nice, find one with some crab rings. Sea food is available at the docks direct from the fishers. If you're there for more than a year and set up residency deer bag limits are OK too. Again, a friend with a boat is nice. Grouse can be good some years from all I've heard.

I lived in Auke Bay and would certainly recommend it as it's only 11 miles or some such from the main part of town. Kinda quiet out that way, nice harbor, hiking trail starts there and goes inland and connects to others.

I wish you the best in your adventure (I'm having a positive attitude wink )

PM me for more info if you'd like

Geno
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Juneau Questions - 10/09/17

Originally Posted by Calvin
Muskegman could give you a better idea of Juneau, but it'd be pretty far down on my list of places I'd want to live. Just my opinion.

Ouch! (you are entitled your to your opinion, though) We have ski lifts, so there!

Originally Posted by FOsteology

I've only visited once when our cruise ship stopped for a few hours. Didn't get a good "vibe" as seemed to have quite a few bums.

Well, all the bums are downtown on South Franklin St. which happens to were where the cruise ships come in.

Good fishing without a boat as we have robust hatchery king and coho runs.
Posted By: ManyMoons Re: Juneau Questions - 10/20/17
Go online and read papers in Ak towns...Anchorage has a good supply of murders and robbery almost daily as does Fairbanks ....Hunting is expensive as you usually have to quad in or fly out..don't trust anyone as they all want your money....
Posted By: akjeff Re: Juneau Questions - 10/20/17
Originally Posted by ManyMoons
Go online and read papers in Ak towns...Anchorage has a good supply of murders and robbery almost daily as does Fairbanks ....Hunting is expensive as you usually have to quad in or fly out..don't trust anyone as they all want your money....

By all means keep that mindset, and please...........stay right where you are.

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted By: ironbender Re: Juneau Questions - 10/20/17
LOL!
© 24hourcampfire