Home

At least one poster here lives very close to where this bear was killed. Seems later than last year.
They say it is trash and birdseed driving the conflicts... I disagree. Too many bears without any aggressive plan or system to keep them wild.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/S...-killed-by-ADFG-this-year-509651151.html

South Anchorage brown bear first killed by Fish & Game this year

file Grizzly
By Grant Robinson | Posted: Wed 12:27 PM, May 08, 2019

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - State wildlife officials killed a young brown bear Monday night in the Huffman and Elmore neighborhood, marking the first agency kill in the Anchorage area this year.

Department of Fish and Game spokesperson Ken Marsh says the department had been receiving reports of the bear for several days that indicated it had become habituated to people. Reports suggested it was becoming aggressive and would refuse to run away from attempts to scare it out of the area. Marsh says the bear was a threat to public safety.

[RELATED: Anchorage Eyes trash ordinance to reduce bear conflict]

Marsh says the bear was likely 2 to 3 years old. Posts in a Facebook group for monitoring bears seen in Anchorage show a young bear in South Anchorage lunging under a guardrail toward a motorist who slowed down to look at it. Marsh says the bear killed is likely the same bear shown in the video.

Marsh says the most recent report of the bear was that it was attempting to break into a poultry pen.

The Department of Fish and Game says that unsecured trash and birdseed is the biggest driver of conflicts between bears and humans.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

They say it is trash and birdseed driving the conflicts... I disagree. Too many bears without any aggressive plan or system to keep them wild.

Yep. Similar to down here...

It has been proven that third year sows breed on the Kenai. Generation after generation of young sows and their cubs migrating out of big boar ranges have moved into areas close to towns for protection. In the last few years, even large boars have been hit by cars and or taken out by ADF&G or local police departments, a rather definite sign of advancing populations. Overly late for much other than DLP management principals? Very likely..
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

It has been proven that third year sows breed on the Kenai. Generation after generation of young sows and their cubs migrating out of big boar ranges have moved into areas close to towns for protection. In the last few years, even large boars have been hit by cars and or taken out by ADF&G or local police departments, a rather definite sign of advancing populations. Overly late for much other than DLP management principals? Very likely..

And the fact the bear bio did not want his pets killed for a very long time... and used fantasy biology to count them.
We've got a 4 year old running around the place now, and I can't see giving a bear more than one chance to get scared of people.
Might get a paintball gun for that first time warning shot though.
I was close to shooting a black bear or two last year. If they are skittish and you only see them late and night or early in the morning I'm ok with them. When they are roming around mid day and could care less about your presence, it's time for DLP. Not sure if a neighbor might not have taken care of the issue.
Originally Posted by cwh2
We've got a 4 year old running around the place now, and I can't see giving a bear more than one chance to get scared of people.
Might get a paintball gun for that first time warning shot though.

Your bear may be gone... Huffman and Elmore... not far for a wandering brown bear.
I was talking about a 4 year old kid:)

We get more than our share (of bears), for sure. Chicken coop isn't helping with that, but since we electrified it bear losses are way down.

And the fact the bear bio did not want his pets killed for a very long time... and used fantasy biology to count them.

LOL!

We ain't got no steenking bear bio!
Originally Posted by cwh2
I was talking about a 4 year old kid:)

We get more than our share (of bears), for sure. Chicken coop isn't helping with that, but since we electrified it bear losses are way down.

OOOpppppppsssssssssssss...
Originally Posted by ironbender

LOL!

We ain't got no steenking bear bio!

Someone there was lyin' about bear pops...
In fact, when the refuge did their bear-DNA study to guess at population numbers, not only was F&G’s bear bio not part of the study group, it was run by a bird bio.

Kinda like going to a gynecologist for a toothache.
well at my place this year in Minnesota for black bear problems again this year, i put up a electric white horse tape fence and my fencer and fence seem to be helping keep animals away even on deer too so far ?
They're everywhere now...……………..
In fact, when the refuge did their bear-DNA study to guess at population numbers, not only was F&G’s bear bio not part of the study group, it was run by a bird bio.

Unless the bear bio showed symptoms of bias or stupidity. Or both.

Would you rather go to a dentist for a cooter wart? wink
Originally Posted by Big Stick
They're everywhere now...……………..

Has been early here, too.

My cooter is fine.

My cooter is fine.

That was rhetorical, I say rhetorical son!
Pics, or it doesn't count.

(I better get another cup of coffee - or if the pics are forthcoming, some eye-bleach))
Originally Posted by las
Pics, or it doesn't count.

(I better get another cup of coffee - or if the pics are forthcoming, some eye-bleach))

That is clearly over the line... both the request and the production!
We usually have a few around our place but since we no longer leave the bird seed out and store our garbage can in the garage we have yet to see one. I know their out there though, seen tracks about a month ago in the snow in our backyard. They need a black bear hunting season and an increase in brown bear tags.
VERY surprised,that there wasn't a Bear in my driveway,when I got home.

There will be tonight.

Hint.............
Ventilated?
Purty warm,to be running a blade and I'm not much in the mood after travelin'.

Though I of course have pressed a trigger and skinned via Braille...more times than I'd like to recount.(grin)

Tying up Feesh Riggin',to time these warm water temps and look to indulge daylight 'til dark,for a coupla weeks.

Knowing me,I'll stumble across a HOG accidentally and sluice same,under the auspice of trying out something new.....................(grin)
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Purty warm,to be running a blade and I'm not much in the mood after travelin'.

Though I of course have pressed a trigger and skinned via Braille...more times than I'd like to recount.(grin)

Tying up Feesh Riggin',to time these warm water temps and look to indulge daylight 'til dark,for a coupla weeks.

Knowing me,I'll stumble across a HOG accidentally and sluice same,under the auspice of trying out something new.....................(grin)

Could use you and a cadre of others to organize a hundred grizz here on the ENA 😎
I've been "THAT" guy for decades and will assuredly go to hell.

Fortunately,I'll know most of the ranks on arrival.(grin)

You don't "educate" Bears.

Hint............
Always time to do a little "public service" hey😉
If things is wrong,it only makes sense to right same.

A few like minded gents,can solve a woe in little time.

Seen it..............
You are not wrong on several levels😉
I've been lifting Spirits for 3 decades now.(grin)

I'm at ease in citing the wares and boolits(sabots),shot..which aligned same.

Shoot schit in the face,never back up and don't waiver.

I like the "odds"...................(grin)
sometimes SSS is all one has.
Did yet another Lying Fhuqking Texan "forget" about their Imaginary Pretend Ignore? Congratulations?!?

Hint.................
Liar Larry ......calling the kettle black?
Ackleymam,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST. Congratulations?!?

Hell...it's been nearly 15 minutes since I've seen a Bear.

Hint.................
No bears around our place “yet” this spring. Been sightings along the river near here but nothing through the yard. I think I may have room in the freezer for one now. Might have to get serious about it.
I just can't get excited about hunting bears anymore..
Originally Posted by 79S

Never could understand how anyone could when they are putting food in a barrel and waiting for them to show up. I know brown bears are different but still...I only shot one because we wanted to knock the population down without having to fill out DLP paperwork.
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by 79S

Never could understand how anyone could when they are putting food in a barrel and waiting for them to show up. I know brown bears are different but still...I only shot one because we wanted to knock the population down without having to fill out DLP paperwork.

Every year I get the hey you going to set up a bait barrel. I did it once, never again. They guys that started out with you disappear on you. Then when it comes to taking down the bait sights, they all disappear. Then during the season it's just you and maybe someone else baiting them.. So now days I say nope, did it once and never again..
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by 79S

Every year I get the hey you going to set up a bait barrel. I did it once, never again. They guys that started out with you disappear on you. Then when it comes to taking down the bait sights, they all disappear. Then during the season it's just you and maybe someone else baiting them.. So now days I say nope, did it once and never again..

Exactly
A couple of you men need some real friends😉
I have plenty of real friends smile
I simply open the front door and see 'em.

Hint................(grin)
© 24hourcampfire