Home
Posted By: Sitka deer Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
Just picked up three "logs" of Copenhagen for a friend that did not want to brave Costco.

Just under a C-note for the chew... and $30 in tax?!?!

Made me realize how happy I am not chewing... but that seems like a serious screwing for a sin tax.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
Thanks Sister Sarah!
I don't know how anyone can consider that woman a conservative.
Posted By: WDH Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just picked up three "logs" of Copenhagen for a friend that did not want to brave Costco.

Made me realize how happy I am not chewing... but that seems like a serious screwing for a sin tax.

Is your friend underage? Wow ! New low for you!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Thanks Sister Sarah!
I don't know how anyone can consider that woman a conservative.

Her gas tax was worse, but that is because the tobacco tax does not cost me anything...
Posted By: 1minute Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
Don't know about chew but for smokes it's $1.33 for a pack of 20 here in Oregon. Near every time the state needs money, they pile on a bit more. Mostly taxing folks that can least afford it.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
Tobacco tax is going to be the least of our AK tax worries in the coming years.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Tobacco tax is going to be the least of our AK tax worries in the coming years.

Isn't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: VernAK Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
The Permanent Fund is on a melting permafrost foundation at this time.

I had no idea tobacco taxes were that high, What does liquor tax look like?
Originally Posted by VernAK

I had no idea tobacco taxes were that high, What does liquor tax look like?

It will make your eyes recross...
Was curious so I looked up Alcohol taxes...

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/alaska/alcohol

Alaska Liquor, Wine, and Beer Taxes
In addition to (or instead of) traditional sales taxes, alcoholic beverages like wine, beer, and liquor are subject to excise taxes on both the Alaska and Federal levels. Excise taxes on alcohol are implemented by every state, as are excises on cigarettes and motor fuels like gasoline.

Excise taxes are applied on a per-unit basis, generally per gallon for liquids, and unlike sales taxes are collected from the merchant who sells the alcohol rather than the end consumer. However, in almost all cases, excise taxes are passed on directly to the consumer in the form of raised alcohol prices.

Other Alaska Excise Taxes: Alcohol Tobacco Fuel
Alaska Alcohol Sales Taxes 2020Current Alaska Alcohol Excise Tax Rates
Alaska has some of the highest state taxes on alcohol in the United States
The primary excise taxes on alcohol in Alaska are on wine, beer, and liquor (which includes most types of hard alcohol).

Alaska Wine sales tax rate
Ranked 1st
highest
Alaska Wine Tax - $2.50 / gallon
✕ Alaska's general sales tax of <span class='text-muted'>N/A</span> does not apply to the purchase of wine.

In Alaska, wine vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $2.50 per gallon, plus Federal excise taxes, for all wine sold.

Alaska Beer sales tax rate
Ranked 2nd
highest
Alaska Beer Tax - $1.07 / gallon
✕ Alaska's general sales tax of <span class='text-muted'>N/A</span> does not apply to the purchase of beer.

In Alaska, beer vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $1.07 per gallon, plus Federal excise taxes, for all beer sold.

Alaska Liquor sales tax rate
Ranked 2nd
highest
Alaska Liquor Tax - $12.80 / gallon
✕ Alaska's general sales tax of <span class='text-muted'>N/A</span> does not apply to the purchase of liquor.

In Alaska, liquor vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $12.80 per gallon, plus Federal excise taxes, for all liquor sold.

Additional Taxes: Under 21% – $2.50/gallon

Federal Alcohol Sales Taxes 2020Federal Alcohol Excise Taxes
The price of all alcohol sold in Alaska also includes Federal alcohol excise taxes, which are collected from the brewer / distiller by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau and generally passed on to the consumer in the beverage's price. Some tax discounts are available to small brewers. Federal excise tax rates on beer, wine, and liquor are as follows:

Beer $18.00 per 31-gallon barrel, or $0.05 per 12-oz can
Wine $1.07 - $3.40 per gallon, or $0.21 - $0.67 per 750ml bottle, depending on alcohol content
Distilled Spirits $13.50 per proof-gallon†, or $2.14 per 750ml 80-proof bottle
† A proof gallon is a gallon of liquid that is 100 proof, or 50% alcohol. The tax is adjusted, depending on the percentage of alcohol of the product.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
That (alcohol tax) was Liiisa’s go-to for revenue when she was in the state house.
Posted By: WDH Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/22/20
They should double the alcohol tax.
Originally Posted by ironbender
That (alcohol tax) was Liiisa’s go-to for revenue when she was in the state house.

Yup...
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/24/20
I find it funny as hell that any one would risk their ass for any one for any thing that is booze or tobacco related stuff, crazy [bleep]. On the other hand, I can see my self doing that for a friend, what is wrong with me? I'm a dumb ass.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I find it funny as hell that any one would risk their ass for any one for any thing that is booze or tobacco related stuff, crazy [bleep]. On the other hand, I can see my self doing that for a friend, what is wrong with me? I'm a dumb ass.

I was in Costco anyway and it kept my buddy from going for just one item.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/24/20
Was curious so I looked up Alcohol taxes...

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/alaska/alcohol

Alaska Liquor, Wine, and Beer Taxes
In addition to (or instead of) traditional sales taxes, alcoholic beverages like wine, beer, and liquor are subject to excise taxes on both the Alaska and Federal levels. Excise taxes on alcohol are implemented by every state, as are excises on cigarettes and motor fuels like gasoline.

Excise taxes are applied on a per-unit basis, generally per gallon for liquids, and unlike sales taxes are collected from the merchant who sells the alcohol rather than the end consumer. However, in almost all cases, excise taxes are passed on directly to the consumer in the form of raised alcohol prices.

Other Alaska Excise Taxes: Alcohol Tobacco Fuel
Alaska Alcohol Sales Taxes 2020Current Alaska Alcohol Excise Tax Rates
Alaska has some of the highest state taxes on alcohol in the United States
The primary excise taxes on alcohol in Alaska are on wine, beer, and liquor (which includes most types of hard alcohol).

Alaska Wine sales tax rate
Ranked 1st
highest
Alaska Wine Tax - $2.50 / gallon
✕ Alaska's general sales tax of <span class='text-muted'>N/A</span> does not apply to the purchase of wine.

In Alaska, wine vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $2.50 per gallon, plus Federal excise taxes, for all wine sold.

Alaska Beer sales tax rate
Ranked 2nd
highest
Alaska Beer Tax - $1.07 / gallon
✕ Alaska's general sales tax of <span class='text-muted'>N/A</span> does not apply to the purchase of beer.

In Alaska, beer vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $1.07 per gallon, plus Federal excise taxes, for all beer sold.

Alaska Liquor sales tax rate
Ranked 2nd
highest
Alaska Liquor Tax - $12.80 / gallon
✕ Alaska's general sales tax of <span class='text-muted'>N/A</span> does not apply to the purchase of liquor.

In Alaska, liquor vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $12.80 per gallon, plus Federal excise taxes, for all liquor sold.

Additional Taxes: Under 21% – $2.50/gallon

Federal Alcohol Sales Taxes 2020Federal Alcohol Excise Taxes
The price of all alcohol sold in Alaska also includes Federal alcohol excise taxes, which are collected from the brewer / distiller by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau and generally passed on to the consumer in the beverage's price. Some tax discounts are available to small brewers. Federal excise tax rates on beer, wine, and liquor are as follows:

Beer $18.00 per 31-gallon barrel, or $0.05 per 12-oz can
Wine $1.07 - $3.40 per gallon, or $0.21 - $0.67 per 750ml bottle, depending on alcohol content
Distilled Spirits $13.50 per proof-gallon†, or $2.14 per 750ml 80-proof bottle
† A proof gallon is a gallon of liquid that is 100 proof, or 50% alcohol. The tax is adjusted, depending on the percentage of alcohol of the product.

That's why we vote no on Prop 13.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/25/20

i use to pay 35 cents a can for it when i dipped.
Posted By: Barryt Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/27/20
We pay $138.85 for a log of Cope, 5 cans!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by Barryt
We pay $138.85 for a log of Cope, 5 cans!

I had heard you were high, but that is crazy!
Posted By: sse Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/10/20
Originally Posted by VernAK

WWHD?

what would hammond do
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/11/20
The unreal budget inflation over the last 14 years or so have really made a sad mess of things.
Posted By: OAM Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/11/20
I bought a roll of Copenhagen snuff yesterday from a gas station for $47. The most I've ever paid was $17 a can on Adak and it was 8 months old.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by OAM
I bought a roll of Copenhagen snuff yesterday from a gas station for $47. The most I've ever paid was $17 a can on Adak and it was 8 months old.

bet that was like dried camel dung!
Posted By: OAM Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/11/20
It was stale. We had made a special trip there just for it though. At the time I had no complaints.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by WDH

These stupid drunk [bleep] would have to start charging for sucking dick then. They would bitch it makes them feel dirty, but they’d suck it anyway.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by Clydesdale
Originally Posted by WDH

These stupid drunk [bleep] would have to start charging for sucking dick then. They would bitch it makes them feel dirty, but they’d suck it anyway.

That thing, is just plain nuts.About like or is that dude from Glennallen...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/12/20
DFTFT, Jeffrey.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/12/20
Oh now we go to full name. Yes sir. Sorry Sir. LMAO.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Tobacco Tax!!! - 04/12/20
😎
© 24hourcampfire