Home
Posted By: watch4bear Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
Senate Bill 241 passed the House on a 34-to-1 vote this afternoon. The proposal now returns to the Senate for final legislative approval and will ultimately return to the desk of the governor, who introduced the bill, before it becomes a law. Members of the Legislature and the governor are working across party lines to fast-track the passage of this bill.

“Extending the disaster declaration gives those on the front lines increased ability to respond to this pandemic and allows Alaskans to conduct business while adhering to hunker down mandates,” Rep. Chuck Kopp (R-Anchorage) said. “Our duty as a Legislature is to protect Alaskans to the best of our abilities, and we will continue working to find ways to lift their burdens in this difficult time.”

This bill takes several important steps:
extending the governor’s initial 30-day public health emergency until November 15, unless the governor declares that the emergency is over sooner;
providing $10 million from the Disaster Relief Fund to assist with any expenses that arise during response efforts, which is in addition to emergency funding authorized in other budgets;

granting Chief Medical Officer Anne Zink the authority to issue standing orders for healthcare providers related to COVID-19;

allowing Lt. Gov. Kevin Meyer to direct Alaskans to vote by mail in primary or statewide special elections in 2020 if in-person elections are deemed to compromise public health;

ensuring that out-of-state Alaskans who are quarantined or avoiding travel due to COVID-19 remain eligible for their PFD even if they’re gone for more than the allowed 180 days;

guaranteeing that first responders, nurses, and doctors will receive workers compensation;

giving the Division of Professional Licensing the ability to expedite the process of issuing licenses to individuals who hold a corresponding license in another jurisdiction, making it so an influx of out-of-state professionals could quickly work here if it becomes necessary;

enabling the Department of Community, Commerce and Economic Development to provide COVID-19 related grants to small businesses to prevent bankruptcy or layoffs.

http://akhouse.org/2020/03/26/house-passes-bill-extending-public-health-emergency-to-november
Posted By: 79S Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
Oh Jesus H Christ.. hook line and sinker
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
Haha, couldn’t see this coming! They weren’t even sneaky about it. I’m actually shocked at how many people are all for giving these dumbazzes free rein.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
allowing Lt. Gov. Kevin Meyer to direct Alaskans to vote by mail in primary or statewide special elections in 2020 if in-person elections are deemed to compromise public health;

this is what theyre after
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
now the house

http://akhouse.org/2020/03/26/house-passes-bill-extending-public-health-emergency-to-november
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
Seems like that will give the anchorage assembly the green light to little Ethan to do the same.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
This is bs, so of course in a few weeks it's gonna be, "well this is working so well let's make it the new norm". I think life as we've known it is trying to come to a screeching halt.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/14/20
Unless it’s from a blog, don’t worry about it.
Posted By: dedity Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/15/20
I don't see anything in the bill about travel to and from Alaska, is this going to affect travel until November as well?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/15/20
Best I read it the initial order declared anyone from out of state 14 day quarantine. This is an extension of that. SO it would seem to stand. And right now I"m sure it will.

Banned travel from town to town the same I'm sure.

But I seriously doubt this lasts to November. I"d like to think the folks said we dont' want to waste time revisiting the issue every 2 weeks, lets pencil it in till November with the caveat governor has full authority to lift whenever before then.

That said one of my spring jobs is gone already. The summer job seems intact, starting later but seems ok, but may be a severe cut in hours. The fall job still wide open at this point IE all a go. BUT you never know.

Trying to plan anything very far out now isn't smart. And that means either cancelling or scheduling. Heck I'm in TX working on Moms house and the farm and have not even looked at getting a flight back until I know a start date for the summer job.
Posted By: dedity Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/15/20
Thank you rost.
Things ain't much different in Idaho, I own a little roofing company and haven't been able to work since early March.
Our shelter in place was tentatively to be lifted on the 13th, but was pushed back until the 20th now today the governor announced it will stay in place until the 30th.

Myself and several friends have been coming up to fish the Russian every year for the past 20 plus years, this year sure does look a lil iffy but plans are still in place and hoping to still make it but the 14 day isolation order would damn sure be a deal breaker.

Good luck to you and everybody else out there, hoping something good comes out of all this for us all...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hunker till november - 04/15/20
It extends the *governor's* emergency declaration which would have expired and makes it more formal. The governor can lift it when he deems it appropriate.

He has already lifted the restriction on elective surgeries. https://mustreadalaska.com/breaking-governor-ends-limits-on-elective-surgeries/
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hunker till november - 04/15/20
He would have to on surgeries etc... or the hospitals would shut down. Finally some may be seeing the light.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Hunker till november - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear

If that's what you're worried about, don't. We (Oregon) have been doing vote-by-mail 100% for quite a long time now. Despite the initial hand-wringing about the potential for coerced votes, etc., there's no evidence to suggest that happens any more now than in polling place elections. I like it because it gives me a lot of time to truly study issues .. before I vote "NO" on them. smile
Posted By: northcountry Re: Hunker till november - 04/16/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear

15 Nov. pushed past the general election you guys be had! Cheers NC
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hunker till november - 04/16/20
Originally Posted by rost495
He would have to on surgeries etc... or the hospitals would shut down. Finally some may be seeing the light.

Perhaps I did not elucidate my point well enough.

It is, that the governor can end this when it is appropriate. It is not a “shall” last, but a “may” last, to November.

Short version: it won’t last that long.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hunker till november - 04/16/20
yes, I read that into the original and thought I posted same. Who knows. I dash in glance at a computer. Punch a few keys and leave... no telling what I leave in my wake sometimes...

But yes seemed he was given the authority to open when he deems safe/fit/ needed or whatever.

Hospitals for the most part are taking a huge hit.

The local one close to the farm in TX, may go under from this but I"m good with that. They were/are a waste of money anyway. Unless they ever get better management.
Posted By: akmtnrunner Re: Hunker till november - 04/18/20
This seems reasonable. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Hunker till november - 04/19/20
Hopefully Dunleavey will open it up when ever science shows it safe.

Thank god our legislature didn't give that much power to half whit. I'd trust your gov....
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/19/20

"Hunker till November" sounds like it should have been a Merle Haggard song.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I cannot imagine the horrible crap being "written" right now...
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad

+1
Posted By: Badgerloader Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/23/20
If mail-in voting is required, will you actually need to mark your ballet or do you send them in blank and let your "betters" vote for you??
Posted By: las Re: Hunker till novemeber - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by Badgerloader
If mail-in voting is required, will you actually need to mark your ballet or do you send them in blank and let your "betters" vote for you??

Naw- just tell them yours is in that box in their car trunk.
© 24hourcampfire