Home
I've been noticing the vertical grip style stocks that I used to associate with competition target styling seem to be showing up in hunting photos in recent years. So I'm wondering if there are any cons to using this style of stock for hunting compared to more classic hunting stocks. A question for people who use them, are you thinking of converting some of your other pet rifles?
Leftists hate them, so they must be great.
Zero cons, in my opinion.
Depends where the safety is located. Could make things awkward for a quick release of the safety when you're in a shooting stance.
Originally Posted by czech1022
Depends where the safety is located. Could make things awkward for a quick release of the safety when you're in a shooting stance.

I don't understand how this would be an issue at all ...it's just a grip angle change ..
A straight grip or more classic gradual style pistol grip points more naturally, is less cumbersome less likely to snag on brush, and is easier to handle one handed as is occasionally necessary. Imo a gentle pistol grip is the most all around useful for a hunting rifle.
A pistol grip is nice when using a bipod and I think that’s where you usually see them on hunting rifles but I think the cons outweigh the pros for a big game rifle.
I had one on a bench .22 rf
Was not a plus or minus IMHO.

Do not care for them off the bench though.

My wrists of some damage from work, so maybe a bit too picky.

I find the grip angle of a Ruger #1 to feel really good, FWIW
The McMillan Game Scout, or the AG Alpine Hunter has the perfect grip angle, in my opinion. I don't see any advantage to a traditional, more open grip..at all.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
The McMillan Game Scout, or the AG Alpine Hunter has the perfect grip angle, in my opinion. I don't see any advantage to a traditional, more open grip..at all.

I like to rest my thumb on the top of the grip and not try to wrap it around the grip. Very comfortable that way
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I like to rest my thumb on the top of the grip and not try to wrap it around the grip. Very comfortable that way

I rarely wrap my thumb around the grip, regardless of stock shape. I lay mine alongside the same side as my palm with as little thumb pressure as possible.

I like 'em, and have come to despise open grip stocks.

Ass for every seat.......
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
A straight grip or more classic gradual style pistol grip points more naturally, is less cumbersome less likely to snag on brush, and is easier to handle one handed as is occasionally necessary. Imo a gentle pistol grip is the most all around useful for a hunting rifle.
A pistol grip is nice when using a bipod and I think that’s where you usually see them on hunting rifles but I think the cons outweigh the pros for a big game rifle.

Yes
If you prefer to shoot with your elbow high, you will favor a more open or straighter grip. If you prefer to shoot with you elbow down, a more vertical grip fits better. For myself, it is more important how a rifle carries than anything else. I will be carrying it a lot more than I'll be shooting it. GD
For me the vertical pistol grip forces my finger into a position where I am pulling with the joint of my finger rather than the pad, but I have l long fingers. A more open grip allows me to place my hand in a position where I can pull with the pad, also a more open grip allows me to get my hand into position faster than the vertical does.

drover
I prefer a more open grip for offhand shooting.
I was taught to place the center of the last pad of my trigger finger on the trigger so it creates a 90° angle bend in the 2nd joint. Then gently let the fingers and hand fall/wrap into the grip. The idea was to create a straight back trigger pull (press). When doing this, the vertical grips are way more comfortable regardless of shooting position.... for me.

I really want to own a Kimber Montana or Hunter, but can't stand their grip angle.

This is just what works for me.
I find it easier to use a variety of surfaces as a rest if there is little to nothing projecting from the bottom of a stock be they grips or magazines.
Originally Posted by aalf

I like 'em, and have come to despise open grip stocks.

+1
Originally Posted by 1minute
I find it easier to use a variety of surfaces as a rest if there is little to nothing projecting from the bottom of a stock be they grips or magazines.

Boy...you'd hate my stuff..

From the pic rail, to the arca rail, to the AICS mags to the vertical grip.....I've never had an issue using whatever I want or need as a rest.
Originally Posted by WB300
I really want to own a Kimber Montana or Hunter, but can't stand their grip angle.

They still make body putty....... (bondo)
Originally Posted by WB300
I was taught to place the center of the last pad of my trigger finger on the trigger so it creates a 90° angle bend in the 2nd joint. Then gently let the fingers and hand fall/wrap into the grip. The idea was to create a straight back trigger pull (press). When doing this, the vertical grips are way more comfortable regardless of shooting position.... for me.

Interesting. I also try to shoot with the pad on the trigger at a 90 degree angle pulling straight back.
I think a vertical grip is good on a target rifle for prone and kneeling with a sling, as it allows your elbow to be close to your body and your wrist in a natural alignment with that. I had a couple of match rifles with such stocks, and they worked well. They'd also do well for a varminter I think.

For a hunting rifle though, for any sort of hunting I actually do, I prefer a more open grip. The vertical grip isn't nearly so well suited for me for offhand in particular, especially quick snap shots and running game. I like my right elbow high for freedom of movement on a quick or running shot, and I do take a fair few of them. I also find the more open grip more conducive to rapidly cycling the bolt on a bolt action, rather more adaptable to various shooting positions, and rather easier to carry - I carry the rifle in my hands, not on a sling.

YMMV
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I think a vertical grip is good on a target rifle for prone and kneeling with a sling, as it allows your elbow to be close to your body and your wrist in a natural alignment with that. I had a couple of match rifles with such stocks, and they worked well. They'd also do well for a varminter I think.

For a hunting rifle though, for any sort of hunting I actually do, I prefer a more open grip. The vertical grip isn't nearly so well suited for me for offhand in particular, especially quick snap shots and running game. I like my right elbow high for freedom of movement on a quick or running shot, and I do take a fair few of them. I also find the more open grip more conducive to rapidly cycling the bolt on a bolt action, rather more adaptable to various shooting positions, and rather easier to carry - I carry the rifle in my hands, not on a sling.

YMMV

I agree 100 percent. If your hunting is mostly sitting on your butt or shooting prone, I can see the advantage of a more vertical grip.
They feel wrong to me and are down right fugly to my eye. Good for bench or prone but not all around use, again for me only.
There ain't nothing ugly about this....

[Linked Image]

Or this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This:

This:

This:

This: