Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been noticing the vertical grip style stocks that I used to associate with competition target styling seem to be showing up in hunting photos in recent years. So I'm wondering if there are any cons to using this style of stock for hunting compared to more classic hunting stocks. A question for people who use them, are you thinking of converting some of your other pet rifles?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Leftists hate them, so they must be great.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Zero cons, in my opinion.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Depends where the safety is located. Could make things awkward for a quick release of the safety when you're in a shooting stance.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by czech1022
Depends where the safety is located. Could make things awkward for a quick release of the safety when you're in a shooting stance.

I don't understand how this would be an issue at all ...it's just a grip angle change ..

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A straight grip or more classic gradual style pistol grip points more naturally, is less cumbersome less likely to snag on brush, and is easier to handle one handed as is occasionally necessary. Imo a gentle pistol grip is the most all around useful for a hunting rifle.
A pistol grip is nice when using a bipod and I think that’s where you usually see them on hunting rifles but I think the cons outweigh the pros for a big game rifle.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 12/12/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had one on a bench .22 rf
Was not a plus or minus IMHO.

Do not care for them off the bench though.

My wrists of some damage from work, so maybe a bit too picky.

I find the grip angle of a Ruger #1 to feel really good, FWIW

Last edited by hookeye; 12/12/20.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The McMillan Game Scout, or the AG Alpine Hunter has the perfect grip angle, in my opinion. I don't see any advantage to a traditional, more open grip..at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
The McMillan Game Scout, or the AG Alpine Hunter has the perfect grip angle, in my opinion. I don't see any advantage to a traditional, more open grip..at all.

I like to rest my thumb on the top of the grip and not try to wrap it around the grip. Very comfortable that way

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I like to rest my thumb on the top of the grip and not try to wrap it around the grip. Very comfortable that way

I rarely wrap my thumb around the grip, regardless of stock shape. I lay mine alongside the same side as my palm with as little thumb pressure as possible.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like 'em, and have come to despise open grip stocks.

Ass for every seat.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
A straight grip or more classic gradual style pistol grip points more naturally, is less cumbersome less likely to snag on brush, and is easier to handle one handed as is occasionally necessary. Imo a gentle pistol grip is the most all around useful for a hunting rifle.
A pistol grip is nice when using a bipod and I think that’s where you usually see them on hunting rifles but I think the cons outweigh the pros for a big game rifle.

Yes

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you prefer to shoot with your elbow high, you will favor a more open or straighter grip. If you prefer to shoot with you elbow down, a more vertical grip fits better. For myself, it is more important how a rifle carries than anything else. I will be carrying it a lot more than I'll be shooting it. GD

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For me the vertical pistol grip forces my finger into a position where I am pulling with the joint of my finger rather than the pad, but I have l long fingers. A more open grip allows me to place my hand in a position where I can pull with the pad, also a more open grip allows me to get my hand into position faster than the vertical does.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I prefer a more open grip for offhand shooting.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I was taught to place the center of the last pad of my trigger finger on the trigger so it creates a 90° angle bend in the 2nd joint. Then gently let the fingers and hand fall/wrap into the grip. The idea was to create a straight back trigger pull (press). When doing this, the vertical grips are way more comfortable regardless of shooting position.... for me.

I really want to own a Kimber Montana or Hunter, but can't stand their grip angle.

This is just what works for me.

Last edited by WB300; 12/12/20. Reason: spelling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it easier to use a variety of surfaces as a rest if there is little to nothing projecting from the bottom of a stock be they grips or magazines.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf

I like 'em, and have come to despise open grip stocks.

+1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 1minute
I find it easier to use a variety of surfaces as a rest if there is little to nothing projecting from the bottom of a stock be they grips or magazines.

Boy...you'd hate my stuff..

From the pic rail, to the arca rail, to the AICS mags to the vertical grip.....I've never had an issue using whatever I want or need as a rest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WB300
I really want to own a Kimber Montana or Hunter, but can't stand their grip angle.

They still make body putty....... (bondo)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 406_SBC, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 16 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.