Home
I'm not a Glock person, preferring my 1911 platform. That being said, this is a good lesson for all of us to obviously never trust a safety 100%. This was a person that reached for his holstered Glock 45 ACP. He 'fumbled" it and grabbed for it on the way to the floor. It landed butt first on the floor and discharged upward into the unfortunate person's hand. It wasn't hardball ammo but, rather, JHP from what was eventually learned. Asking an honest question since I have never shot a Glock.....do they have multiple safeties that "should" prevent this from happening? I have no idea. These pics were sent to me by the person who treated him at the scene. You can easily tell which was the entrance and exit wounds.

Be safe out there and always remember rule's #1 and 2 regarding firearm safety.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Never seen a Glock go off unless the trigger was pulled.

That was in combat and on the range with a lot of folks shooting them.

Glad your buds okay though.
If your gun falls......let it! Glad he survived!
Glocks don't have multiple safeties but they have been through MULTIPLE drop tests before being approved for service.

Ive never seen one accidentally discharge either...
Gotta be more to the story....

Glock going off without pulling the trigger has to be supppppppper rare. There’s a reason so many services use them.
More to the story could be he did grab it on the way down with two hands and accidentally fired it. At any rate ouch.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Asking an honest question since I have never shot a Glock.....do they have multiple safeties that "should" prevent this from happening? ]

Yes - trigger safety lever, firing pin/striker safety block, drop safety (trigger bar) - in my opinion, they all work well to prevent this.

Lot of possibilities - stock gun or not, aftermarket parts, U-Tube warrior assembling or "upgrading" - or a no-Sh*t failure of one of the three - need the details of the pistol.

Propaganda link: https://us.glock.com/en/LEARN/GLOCK-Pistols/Safe-Action-System
Ok, since no one else will say it I will. my guess would be he effed up and used the fumbled drop as an excuse. he was probably dicking around with it doing who knows what and popped himself in the hand. since he knew he'd be ostracized by friends and family he came up with the fumble story. I think this is more likely than what he said happened. I could be wrong and my unsolicited free opinion is worth every penny. either way it looks painful and lessons were learned.
I'm only familiar with a glock 36, which is one of my daily carry guns. It has never "gone off" unless the trigger was pulled, and I've never dropped it so can't comment on that outcome. There had to be more to the story regarding what really happened.
he picked it and squeezed the trigger

Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Ok, since no one else will say it I will. my guess would be he effed up and used the fumbled drop as an excuse. he was probably dicking around with it doing who knows what and popped himself in the hand. since he knew he'd be ostracized by friends and family he came up with the fumble story. I think this is more likely than what he said happened. I could be wrong and my unsolicited free opinion is worth every penny. either way it looks painful and lessons were learned.

That’d be my first guess. Probably lied to the ER Doc that treated him.
Like the Grand Poobah stated above, Glocks go through multiple drop tests.
That looks like my dong after a drunken night at Mona's in Elko.

AH64Guy is correct in that there's a lot of unanswered questions, but Colorado is likely correct too. Unaltered Glocks (hate them or love them) aren't going to go off by just dropping them. They're one of the safer pistols IMO, from an accidental discharge standpoint. I honestly can't see any situation where one could "accidentally" go off, even if brush somehow got into the trigger guard while you're stomping and pushing through it. There's no safety to knock off and subsequent light single action trigger to pull. It is basically a relatively light double action pull and you have to somehow get your finger in the trigger guard and pull hard on the trigger safety. Even the weight of the gun shouldn't be anywhere near the weight of the trigger pull.

Unless it was a seriously modified glock, I do not buy the fumble story.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

AH64Guy is correct in that there's a lot of unanswered questions, but Colorado is likely correct too. Unaltered Glocks (hate them or love them) aren't going to go off by just dropping them. They're one of the safer pistols IMO, from an accidental discharge standpoint. I honestly can't see any situation where one could "accidentally" go off, even if brush somehow got into the trigger guard while you're stomping and pushing through it. There's no safety to knock off and subsequent light single action trigger to pull. It is basically a relatively light double action pull and you have to somehow get your finger in the trigger guard and pull hard on the trigger safety. Even the weight of the gun shouldn't be anywhere near the weight of the trigger pull.

Unless it was a seriously modified glock, I do not buy the fumble story.

I was gonna say Juarez

😝🦫
I vote he was disassembling it, didn’t make sure it was unloaded, and when he pulled the trigger to remove the slide, sent a round through his hand. Then made up the drop story to save face.
Originally Posted by borden811
I vote he was disassembling it, didn’t make sure it was unloaded, and when he pulled the trigger to remove the slide, sent a round through his hand. Then made up the drop story to save face.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Had a dumb ass cousin that did that with a el cheapo 25 acp.

This seems likely, especially as it’s a left hand and most of us are right handed.

In any case, I’m thinking his story is BS.

I wonder if he’ll go after Glock for damages. That would be an interesting case to watch.
Originally Posted by cra1948

This seems likely, especially as it’s a left hand and most of us are right handed.

I wonder if he’ll go after Glock for damages. That would be an interesting case to watch.

BS? That ain’t Hollywood....
Originally Posted by cra1948

BS? That ain’t Hollywood....

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm not saying he didn't shoot himself in the hand, I'm saying I think his story about how it happened is BS.
Hire a crooked assed lawyer and have a crooked assed gunsmith spin a tale... like the Remington triggers.
Gotta wonder about aftermarket parts and/or was this gun modified in any way? I'd like to get the hard facts on that. Could this gun be one of the billion or so Glocks with trigger mods or who knows what else? The only thing that scares me about Glocks is when something unintended finds its way inside the trigger guard puts just enough pressure on the trigger. I like my unmodified G-19 but I wish they had some type of external safety other than the safe trigger.
My guess is he was FOT coming out of the holster and discharged the gun as he was bringing his support hand to the gun. Not buying the fumble story.
That will buff right out ! laugh

That being said, it doesn't look to be a penetration issue !

This would be my first guess.

I heard of a story a few years ago where a guy was disassembling his Glock and didn't check to see if it was loaded or not. When he pulled the trigger to get the slide off, he shot his daughter.
Kinda looks like powder burns around the entrance wound. That would seem to support the idea of a negligent discharge, rather than the gun firing due to hitting the floor.
Yep powder burns and torn skin from high velocity gases at entry wound indicate very close proximity to muzzle, probably not the distance from the floor up to an outstretched hand distance. I know a guy with a "Fred Flintstone" hand. The hand surgeon just took out all the middle finger bones and then sowed the hand together. He forgot to clear the chamber before starting disassemble his glock. He got a bad surprise when he pulled the trigger. I don't know why someone would ever cover the muzzle of any gun with a body part on purpose but he won't do that again.
I feel sure there is "the rest of the story".
Gotta call BS on this one.

Either he has modified the pistol to circumvent the safeties(3), or he did somethin' stupid, and now wants GLOCK to pay for it.

Glocks - don't just... "go off."

GR
The original Glock Tupperware box helped these kinds of “accidents”

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
Maybe someone was doing a modified 'press check'.

You know, the one where you put one hand over the muzzle, and press the trigger with the other.

....then he fell down.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

You know, the one where you put one hand over the muzzle, and press the trigger with the other.

....then he fell down.

That's what I am guessing myself.
We had an older customer do the same thing with a 1911. At least he admitted his stupidity. He was on our range and put his left hand in front of the muzzle to see if his laser was shining. Then he pulled his trigger for some reason that he couldn't explain.
Glocks only go off if you press the trigger. I worked as an armorer and FI at a large department when we transitioned to Glocks. We torture tested them, we even threw one out of helicopter onto a football field. They are very safe.

That wound looks like a contact wound. His hand was on the muzzle. Either he fell or was just being stupid and pulled the trigger with his hand over muzzle.
I don't even buy the modification possibly since the wound is close. He made up a story to cover his poor handling of a pistol.
Are you saying the Glock in it's box can move forward enough to activate and pull the trigger? Not seeing it.
GoDog57: I am just hurting for that fellow - I hope he is RIGHT handed because that is gonna leave a mark!
Having said that I worked on a force of 1,100 plus police types who switched to Glocks about 10 years before I pulled the pin.
I have seen about 100 loaded Glocks fall to the cement, the dirt, locker room floors, the pavement, the fiberglass decks of boats, flooring of most all types and I have never seen a Glock detonate (discharge) as a result of the sudden stop to those falls!
In addition I know MANY officers from many departments and NONE of them have ever expressed witnessing or hearing of a Glock "going off" when dropped.
I personally was once tasked with discharging a Glock 22 as soon as I could after re-dipping it into water whilst I was assigned to our agencies Harbor Unit - the Glock fired from my gloved left hand with NO problemo!
I simply find it hard, VERY hard, to believe the incident you report here actually happened as you reported it.
Long live Glock - one of the safest most reliable firearms I have ever been around/used/owned!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by beretzs

....then he fell down.

Yep. I believe someone had a Stupid Attack, in a Smart Zone.
Bet the guy is right handed.
I'd probably "fumble" my pistol too, after I shot myself in the hand.
GeoW.
It can. There was a recall on the older Tupperware boxes.
They had a molded pilled that went through the triggerguard.
If the box was dropped and the pistol moved enough...bang.
My understanding was the same box was used for all models.
So, if you had a 19 or a 26 in a box that fit a 17, lots of room.

Whoever posted the safety systems on a Glock, and every other comment
missed the biggest point.

They are trigger cocked.
The fugging thing wasn't even cocked.

And it's impossible for it to have went off if it landed on the rear
of the slide pointing up.

1. Because it wasn't cocked.
2. Any firing pin inertia would have been directed away from the primer,
not into it.
not guns but I have caused more damage trying to catch some thing I dropped than just letting it fall . I am in the grabbed it wrong dep.
A friend down south Texas was trying to unjam a 9mm pistol.

He had a moment and pushed the muzzle with his palm on his left hand.

Bullet went clean thru,no bones were hit,it was loaded with fmj bullets.

When it happened he became a very good ambassador for gun safety real fast.

It happened after a long day of work and he was tired.
I have spent a few thousand hours on gun ranges w/ both "pro" and amateur shooters and have been present for, or had to write reports on many NDs. Shooters admitting to error and learning from their mistakes are rarer than unicorn turds. Even when confronted with excellent video of the event.

mike r
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Yes, I agree completely.

Very likely.

Originally Posted by mart
My guess is he was FOT coming out of the holster and discharged the gun as he was bringing his support hand to the gun. Not buying the fumble story.

Also compelling.
His hand was in contact with the barrel. His skin split from the escaping gas and it left powder burns. You don't get a wound like that unless there is contact.
This wasn't Tex Grebner was it????
He can kiss any chance of being hand model goodbye.
the photo looks pretty indicative of a press contact wound to me. I don't see any ancillary stippling that suggests the round was fired from any distance. in other words his story is Bullshit and he shot himself in the hand by being a dumb fucghk
Originally Posted by beretzs

....then he fell down.

Yep. I believe someone had a Stupid Attack, in a Smart Zone.

I'd bet he will never cover a muzzle again with his hand.. Pretty positive reinforcement.
Yep, hahahaha! One thing for sure - whatever happened won’t happen twice.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
GeoW.
It can. There was a recall on the older Tupperware boxes.
They had a molded pilled that went through the triggerguard.
If the box was dropped and the pistol moved enough...bang.
My understanding was the same box was used for all models.
So, if you had a 19 or a 26 in a box that fit a 17, lots of room.

Not really. As 16bore posted the picture, there are molded in stops behind the grip and in front of the trigger guard. Since the distance is the same for a 17/19/26, there wouldn't be any more movement on the smaller guns.
Originally Posted by Garandimal

If you guys are all done with your Kool-Aid, any pistol can fire when dropped. All it takes is an irregularity or chunk on the breech face, protruding/stuck/broken striker/firing pin, proud primer, and whatever else I can't remember, but Murphy surely will. None of that is necessarily the gun's fault - life happens.

That said, I also figure the guy dropped the pistol and caught the trigger. Plaxico Burress redux.
I’ll never say never, but something about the story doesn’t add up.

Been around thousands of Glock handguns, firing hundreds of thousands of rounds. I’ve seen Glock’s dropped on every surface imaginable, and on concrete from 4 stories high. Just saying…..,
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Asking an honest question since I have never shot a Glock.....do they have multiple safeties that "should" prevent this from happening? ]

Yes - trigger safety lever, firing pin/striker safety block, drop safety (trigger bar) - in my opinion, they all work well to prevent this.

Lot of possibilities - stock gun or not, aftermarket parts, U-Tube warrior assembling or "upgrading" - or a no-Sh*t failure of one of the three - need the details of the pistol.

Propaganda link: https://us.glock.com/en/LEARN/GLOCK-Pistols/Safe-Action-System

^^^^^^^^^
this
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Gotta call BS on this one.

Either he has modified the pistol to circumvent the safeties(3), or he did somethin' stupid, and now wants GLOCK to pay for it.

GR

That's also the best way to polish a chain.
Likely his mistake was grabbing for the gun. If he did hit the trigger somehow, he likely doesnt even remember due to the traumatic injury happening so fast. Could the gun go off? sure,,,, but like most internet stories, there is likely more to the story than posted.
Remind me to never shoot myself in the hand with a .45 ACP or anything else for that matter. Ouch!
Originally Posted by T_Inman

lololololol
Originally Posted by persiandog
he picked it and squeezed the trigger

That was my thought about it.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
the photo looks pretty indicative of a press contact wound to me. I don't see any ancillary stippling that suggests the round was fired from any distance. in other words his story is Bullshit and he shot himself in the hand by being a dumb fucghk

That'd be close to my guess too. I've seen worse...a cop pushing the slide from the front to check something....40 S&W at an angle through the length of his hand..I couldn't believe he didnt loose the hand....it didnt look so good, but he still had it.

That’s my bet too. Contact wound. Saw a guy with the same left hand done by a Sig. Dont remember if he was disassembling or chamber checking but he put his palm over the muzzle and pulled the trigger.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by gitem_12

That'd be close to my guess too. I've seen worse...a cop pushing the slide from the front to check something....40 S&W at an angle through the length of his hand..I couldn't believe he didnt loose the hand....it didnt look so good, but he still had it.

Hadnt noticed that, but good point..... Looks like he may be flipping the bird permanently to everyone with the bones under that finger likely shattered.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Hire a crooked assed lawyer and have a crooked assed gunsmith spin a tale... like the Remington triggers.

Except that one was true...
GUYS, all of ya.

Check Out the Handgun Forum
Thread by Mannlicher

"Glock 27 Kaboom" on P 1.

Jerry
However it happened, I don’t think he’ll do it again. 😩
Originally Posted by navlav8r
However it happened, I don’t think he’ll do it again. 😩

You would think not,,,, but you know the old saying " you cant fix stupid"
© 24hourcampfire