Home
Posted By: dimecovers5 Sako 85's - 08/22/21
There's some fine looking wood stocked rifles here https://www.sako.fi/rifles

Why are they not more popular? All I ever see on this board is talk of older models. Is it they are just not widely available? The scope rings? Because people mispronounce the name? I just don't get it.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
I’ve heard/read that the 85 has ejection issues - ejecting the case straight up into the scope. That’s my guess - and only a guess as to why a $2k rifle with ejection issues isn’t popular.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
Originally Posted by dimecovers5

Why are they not more popular? All I ever see on this board is talk of older models. Is it they are just not widely available? The scope rings? Because people mispronounce the name? I just don't get it.

Its a design fu ck up from the beginning. Whoever designed the ejector needs a swift kick in the azz, or head. One of the 2..
Posted By: rj308 Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
Yes, after reading all of the accounts of ejection stories and watching several ejection failure videos on 85's, I wouldn't bet my $2K on not having ejection problems that Beretta will not acknowledge and stand behind. Beretta won't acknowledge the problem because they know there is no fix for it. It is a design error. I believe Sako is responsible for not redesigning the ejection system as soon as these reports of ejection failure started showing up many years ago. RJ
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
To bad. The SAKO 85’s are a great looking rifle IMO but between there wordplay on controlled round feed (something that I know isn’t really needed but that I like just because if spending the money I like and want I like and want) and the ejection problems it’s not a rifle at the top of my list to sink 2k in to. I can get past the marketing controlled round feed line but not all of the reported ejection problems. On the other side Tikka’s are ugly as sin IMO but all that I hear is that they shoot lights out with about zero problems.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I’ve heard/read that the 85 has ejection issues - ejecting the case straight up into the scope. That’s my guess - and only a guess as to why a $2k rifle with ejection issues isn’t popular.

I have heard that but of the 5 Sako 85's I have owned NONE had that issue.
Posted By: dimecovers5 Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
Did 75's have the same issue?
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
No, the 75's had the ejector properly located.
Posted By: barm Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
I think the problem arises because many American shooters think they have to place the scope as low as possible and bury their face into the stock. Most Europeans shoot with a more upright position with their face lightly touching the stock or not at all. Looks like user error. Sako does not make junk, IMHO. My 2 cents for what it is worth.
Originally Posted by barm
I think the problem arises because many American shooters think they have to place the scope as low as possible and bury their face into the stock. Most Europeans shoot with a more upright position with their face lightly touching the stock or not at all. Looks like user error. Sako does not make junk, IMHO. My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Nobody can possibly think that putting the ejector at the 6 o-clock position is a good idea.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
Originally Posted by old_willys

Neither's mine.
Posted By: CBB15 Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
Originally Posted by cra1948

Neither's mine.

Mine has been excellent as well. Never a problem with a zeiss diavari 2.5-10x42 in low sako ringmounts. 308 winchester.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21

Same here...I have the Sako 85 Stainless Varmint Laminate in 243 it's a freaking tack driver. No ejection issues either.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: CrazyIs Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21

I have owned a dozen or so 85's over the years and have never had an ejection problem.
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Sako 85's - 08/22/21
The problem seems to be more common in the long action 85's. A buddy bought one in 7mm Rem. Mag. Outfitted it with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope in low Sako Optilock ringmounts. He experienced the problem. Not every shot but often enough to cause concern. Who wants to have an empty case hit the scope and drop back into the action and jam up the gun in a hunting situation? Beretta was absolutely no help. He sent the rifle down the road. As mentioned earlier, putting the ejector in the 6 o'clock position is just plain dumb. Beretta should redesign the action
You are correct. The problem seems to be most common with long action calibers. I have not heard of short action or shortmag rifles having the problem.
Posted By: dimecovers5 Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
What's new about the 85 over the 75?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
I would have one if the ones I'm looking at on their website were available in America...( no where does it say they're not...but they're not...)
Posted By: scottishkat Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
I own 2 85 short actions never a problem with either and both are very accurate.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Posted By: devnull Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
What's new about the 85 over the 75?

75: Push feed
85: Quasi controlled round feeding and enhanced mag change where mag has to be pushed up to release.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
So heres my question and Im sure theres an answer I havent thought of, but if Remington extractors are such schitt, why do so many people replace them with Sako extractors, which many here are saying are schitt....?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
So heres my question and Im sure theres an answer I havent thought of, but if Remington extractors are such schitt, why do so many people replace them with Sako extractors, which many here are saying are schitt....?

It is the position of the extractor not the quality of the extractor.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
I have a Sako Bavarian half stock in 338 Federal that is a sweet little rig.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Sako 85's - 08/23/21
If I were hurting all over for a newer Sako I’d find a nice 75, with the ejector located where it worked all the time. Only reason for either would be to get a SS one, otherwise I’d get a 2-lug.
Posted By: dimecovers5 Re: Sako 85's - 08/24/21
This sorta suxs............I've fondled a 75 and they have a heft to them. I don't think I'd want one in a short action. Seems more of a long action cartridge rifle. Was hoping for a .270 maybe, but not if doesn't eject right. If I wanted a short action I think a Montana is more suited to it if all that makes sense. I also saw a varmint 75 and that was really nice

Not sure how I get Accuflite can charge what they charge for their custom versions if they have this problem sometimes.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Sako 85's - 08/24/21
This sorta suxs............I've fondled a 75 and they have a heft to them. I don't think I'd want one in a short action. Seems more of a long action cartridge rifle. Was hoping for a .270 maybe, but not if doesn't eject right. If I wanted a short action I think a Montana is more suited to it if all that makes sense. I also saw a varmint 75 and that was really nice

Not sure how I get Accuflite can charge what they charge for their custom versions if they have this problem sometimes.

Maybe it’s one of those problems that’s a bigger problem on the internet than in real life….you know, like Sierra bullet failures.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Sako 85's - 08/24/21
Ya, there's nothing wrong with, 85's, 75's, X91's. Buy them all up. Sell off your A series guns here, just send me a PM first. wink
Gary
Posted By: rj308 Re: Sako 85's - 08/24/21
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by ingwe

It is the position of the extractor not the quality of the extractor.

It is more the position of the EJEctor instead of the EXTRActor that causes the problem.

I have read accounts of ejection problems with short action 85's also. It is your money OP, you have been warned. Good luck. RJ
Posted By: old_willys Re: Sako 85's - 08/24/21
Originally Posted by Labman95
The problem seems to be more common in the long action 85's. A buddy bought one in 7mm Rem. Mag. Outfitted it with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope in low Sako Optilock ringmounts. He experienced the problem. Not every shot but often enough to cause concern. Who wants to have an empty case hit the scope and drop back into the action and jam up the gun in a hunting situation? Beretta was absolutely no help. He sent the rifle down the road. As mentioned earlier, putting the ejector in the 6 o'clock position is just plain dumb. Beretta should redesign the action

3 of my 85's that did not have an issue were long action; 25-06, 30-06 and 7 RM.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Sako 85's - 08/24/21
Guys:

I have no dog in this fight, but there is a M75 on GB right now in 7RM. Here is the picture of the bolt, and it may be the angle of the picture but it sure looks like the extractor cut is in the 6 o'clock position to me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sako 85's - 08/24/21

Rev Mike - Yes it is a Mechanical EJECTOR slot (meaning there is a piece of metal that comes through the bolt as it’s pulled all the way back, at 6 O’clock.

Nice picture…

WHICH means - you better have a strong, and sharp edged extractor …. To hold the cartridge rim so it’s ejected.

It’s only a issue with Long Actions, and Gretan rifles has stronger springs… and you can flatten / sharpen the extractor claw edge.
I did on my long action, it only shot up 1 / 8th of the time…. Now it doesn’t do it at all

It’s not a perfect design, but given it doesn’t happen at all on short actions ?
Posted By: shootem Re: Sako 85's - 08/25/21
It’s a design fu ck up from the beginning. Whoever designed the ejector needs a swift kick in the azz, or head. One of the 2..

Most likely you could hit both targets with one swing of the boot. To place the ejector of an optics dedicated rifle in the same location as a Winchester 94 is not engineering, it’s sabotage. By sheer luck, not good design, it’s seems only the 85M is affected, and that due to case length. I won’t beleaguer the point but only say I had an affected rifle in 30/06, used medium Leupold rings and a 1” tube scope. Plain vanilla set up. It failed from the first try. Ran it fast, ran it slow. No difference. The extractor pulls the case rearward until it makes contact with the ejector. The ejector pushes the case straight up until the case mouth contacts the bottom of the scope tube. At this point, with
the case moving rearward and the case mouth with nowhere to go, the case rim just squirts out from under the extractor and the case drops into the action. It’s easy to see and duplicate.

Does this happen with all 85M’s?? No it doesn’t. But I can say without doubt when an 85M executes a successful ejection, it almost didn’t. I won’t even get into Customer Disservice. YMMV.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Sako 85's - 08/25/21
I've had a couple of short action Sako 85's with no problems, and one long and one magnum action rifle with some ejection issues. I solved that annoyance by having a skilled machinist make a couple of new extractor claws with minimal ( 0.002" - 0.004" or so) clearance between extractor claw and rim on the base of the cartridge. The original extractor claws had perhaps 0.010" clearance, too much. Both rifles have perfect ejection every time now, in a horizontal direction. With low mounted scopes. The ejection problems are not so much a design flaw in my opinion, but a tolerance and clearance issue. It only cost me $50 to have the new extractor claws made. I'm happy with my Sako 85 rifles. I would prefer if they all worked perfectly from the box, but many, many other brands of rifles have bigger quality control issues than that Sako 85 extractor. Sako 85's are accurate, smooth, well balanced, and have great triggers. I like the magazine. I'd buy another if I needed one.
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Sako 85's - 08/26/21
Took a Sako 75 in .300 Win Mag to Zim in 2007 and had problems with the ejected case sometimes hitting the scope and dropping back into the action. Decide to use the Dakota .416 Rigby on everything for the remainder of the safari.

Had an incredibly accurate Sako 75 in 7/08 drop the magazine on a pig hunt. Sent it on down the road.

Presently own a Sako Black Bear in .308. Quite accurate and functions perfectly Magazine says put. No complaints at all.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Sako 85's - 08/27/21
Most people that criticize the Sako 85 has never owned one. I own two & appreciate their quality. Both the 300 WSM & 308 Winchester are accurate and reliable.
Posted By: RifleDude Re: Sako 85's - 08/28/21
It's not the design of the ejector that's the problem per se, it's the fact that Sako decided to use a fixed mechanical ejector IN CONJUNCTION WITH both semi-CRF AND 3 locking lugs 120deg apart. All of that together dictated the necessary position of the ejector. The CRF feature means they can't use a plunger style ejector, or the case head can't slide across the bolt face to engage the extractor prior to being fully chambered. The fact there are 3 locking lugs with 1 lug at 12:00 when the bolt is open means that the ejector HAS to be at 6:00. That location between the 2 lugs at the bottom is the only position it can be in unless they split one of the lugs. If they had given up on the CRF feature, they could have used a plunger ejector, which could be located anywhere on the bolt face without there being any consideration for splitting a lug.

The position of the ejector unavoidably causes a high ejection angle and there's no way to avoid this if they didn't want to cut through a locking lug for the ejector slot. Whether or not this poses a problem depends on the height of the scope mounts, size of the scope's adjustment saddle, and the length of the cartridge the rifle's chambered in. I have 2 Sako 85s and neither has any ejection troubles, but they are also chambered in .338 Fed and 7-08. I haven't seen any SA Sako 85s with ejection issues, only the LA versions.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Sako 85's - 08/30/21

Good question. I love 'em. A few months ago I ordered a .223 Bavarian, but EuroOptic says I have to wait a year to get it hear from Finland. There were none available for sale in the US.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Sako 85's - 08/30/21

Good question. I love 'em. A few months ago I ordered a .223 Bavarian, but EuroOptic says I have to wait a year to get it hear from Finland. There were none available for sale in the US.
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: Sako 85's - 08/30/21

They used to have gorgeous wood. The last few years, not so much. At least from what I've seen pictured on Gunbroker.
Posted By: BearClan Re: Sako 85's - 08/30/21
I have a Sako M85 in a 300 WSM that has this ejection issue. I sent it in to Beretta and they sent it back to me saying their was no issue - arrgh.

In short, yes, the ejection issue can sometimes be found in a short action Sako M85
Posted By: 25aught6 Re: Sako 85's - 08/30/21
You guy's are buying all the bad one's my wrong handed 85's in 270win and 25-06 run fine and are accurate as they are beautiful. My 270's wood is almost to nice to be on a hunter model..... YMMV.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Sako 85's - 08/30/21
I had a stainless laminate 85 varmint 204. It had the problem on almost every shot. Sold it and bought a Cooper, end of problem.
Posted By: cotis Re: Sako 85's - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Nobody can possibly think that putting the ejector at the 6 o-clock position is a good idea.

Winchester did, but it was 1894 and they didn't have to worry about a scope grin

I agree, a 6 o'clock ejector on a modern scoped rifle could be problematic. Does the speed at which you run the bolt matter? I assume if you ran it with some velocity the shell would leave even though it bouced around a bit. Going slowly, not so much...
© 24hourcampfire