-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So heres my question and Im sure theres an answer I havent thought of, but if Remington extractors are such schitt, why do so many people replace them with Sako extractors, which many here are saying are schitt....?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
So heres my question and Im sure theres an answer I havent thought of, but if Remington extractors are such schitt, why do so many people replace them with Sako extractors, which many here are saying are schitt....?

It is the position of the extractor not the quality of the extractor.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Sako Bavarian half stock in 338 Federal that is a sweet little rig.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were hurting all over for a newer Sako I’d find a nice 75, with the ejector located where it worked all the time. Only reason for either would be to get a SS one, otherwise I’d get a 2-lug.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This sorta suxs............I've fondled a 75 and they have a heft to them. I don't think I'd want one in a short action. Seems more of a long action cartridge rifle. Was hoping for a .270 maybe, but not if doesn't eject right. If I wanted a short action I think a Montana is more suited to it if all that makes sense. I also saw a varmint 75 and that was really nice

Not sure how I get Accuflite can charge what they charge for their custom versions if they have this problem sometimes.

Last edited by dimecovers5; 08/23/21.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
This sorta suxs............I've fondled a 75 and they have a heft to them. I don't think I'd want one in a short action. Seems more of a long action cartridge rifle. Was hoping for a .270 maybe, but not if doesn't eject right. If I wanted a short action I think a Montana is more suited to it if all that makes sense. I also saw a varmint 75 and that was really nice

Not sure how I get Accuflite can charge what they charge for their custom versions if they have this problem sometimes.

Maybe it’s one of those problems that’s a bigger problem on the internet than in real life….you know, like Sierra bullet failures.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
G
Ya, there's nothing wrong with, 85's, 75's, X91's. Buy them all up. Sell off your A series guns here, just send me a PM first. wink
Gary

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by ingwe

It is the position of the extractor not the quality of the extractor.

It is more the position of the EJEctor instead of the EXTRActor that causes the problem.

I have read accounts of ejection problems with short action 85's also. It is your money OP, you have been warned. Good luck. RJ

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Labman95
The problem seems to be more common in the long action 85's. A buddy bought one in 7mm Rem. Mag. Outfitted it with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope in low Sako Optilock ringmounts. He experienced the problem. Not every shot but often enough to cause concern. Who wants to have an empty case hit the scope and drop back into the action and jam up the gun in a hunting situation? Beretta was absolutely no help. He sent the rifle down the road. As mentioned earlier, putting the ejector in the 6 o'clock position is just plain dumb. Beretta should redesign the action

3 of my 85's that did not have an issue were long action; 25-06, 30-06 and 7 RM.

Ted
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Guys:

I have no dog in this fight, but there is a M75 on GB right now in 7RM. Here is the picture of the bolt, and it may be the angle of the picture but it sure looks like the extractor cut is in the 6 o'clock position to me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Rev Mike - Yes it is a Mechanical EJECTOR slot (meaning there is a piece of metal that comes through the bolt as it’s pulled all the way back, at 6 O’clock.

Nice picture…

WHICH means - you better have a strong, and sharp edged extractor …. To hold the cartridge rim so it’s ejected.

It’s only a issue with Long Actions, and Gretan rifles has stronger springs… and you can flatten / sharpen the extractor claw edge.
I did on my long action, it only shot up 1 / 8th of the time…. Now it doesn’t do it at all

It’s not a perfect design, but given it doesn’t happen at all on short actions ?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It’s a design fu ck up from the beginning. Whoever designed the ejector needs a swift kick in the azz, or head. One of the 2..

Most likely you could hit both targets with one swing of the boot. To place the ejector of an optics dedicated rifle in the same location as a Winchester 94 is not engineering, it’s sabotage. By sheer luck, not good design, it’s seems only the 85M is affected, and that due to case length. I won’t beleaguer the point but only say I had an affected rifle in 30/06, used medium Leupold rings and a 1” tube scope. Plain vanilla set up. It failed from the first try. Ran it fast, ran it slow. No difference. The extractor pulls the case rearward until it makes contact with the ejector. The ejector pushes the case straight up until the case mouth contacts the bottom of the scope tube. At this point, with
the case moving rearward and the case mouth with nowhere to go, the case rim just squirts out from under the extractor and the case drops into the action. It’s easy to see and duplicate.

Does this happen with all 85M’s?? No it doesn’t. But I can say without doubt when an 85M executes a successful ejection, it almost didn’t. I won’t even get into Customer Disservice. YMMV.

Last edited by shootem; 08/24/21.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had a couple of short action Sako 85's with no problems, and one long and one magnum action rifle with some ejection issues. I solved that annoyance by having a skilled machinist make a couple of new extractor claws with minimal ( 0.002" - 0.004" or so) clearance between extractor claw and rim on the base of the cartridge. The original extractor claws had perhaps 0.010" clearance, too much. Both rifles have perfect ejection every time now, in a horizontal direction. With low mounted scopes. The ejection problems are not so much a design flaw in my opinion, but a tolerance and clearance issue. It only cost me $50 to have the new extractor claws made. I'm happy with my Sako 85 rifles. I would prefer if they all worked perfectly from the box, but many, many other brands of rifles have bigger quality control issues than that Sako 85 extractor. Sako 85's are accurate, smooth, well balanced, and have great triggers. I like the magazine. I'd buy another if I needed one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Took a Sako 75 in .300 Win Mag to Zim in 2007 and had problems with the ejected case sometimes hitting the scope and dropping back into the action. Decide to use the Dakota .416 Rigby on everything for the remainder of the safari.

Had an incredibly accurate Sako 75 in 7/08 drop the magazine on a pig hunt. Sent it on down the road.

Presently own a Sako Black Bear in .308. Quite accurate and functions perfectly Magazine says put. No complaints at all.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Most people that criticize the Sako 85 has never owned one. I own two & appreciate their quality. Both the 300 WSM & 308 Winchester are accurate and reliable.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's not the design of the ejector that's the problem per se, it's the fact that Sako decided to use a fixed mechanical ejector IN CONJUNCTION WITH both semi-CRF AND 3 locking lugs 120deg apart. All of that together dictated the necessary position of the ejector. The CRF feature means they can't use a plunger style ejector, or the case head can't slide across the bolt face to engage the extractor prior to being fully chambered. The fact there are 3 locking lugs with 1 lug at 12:00 when the bolt is open means that the ejector HAS to be at 6:00. That location between the 2 lugs at the bottom is the only position it can be in unless they split one of the lugs. If they had given up on the CRF feature, they could have used a plunger ejector, which could be located anywhere on the bolt face without there being any consideration for splitting a lug.

The position of the ejector unavoidably causes a high ejection angle and there's no way to avoid this if they didn't want to cut through a locking lug for the ejector slot. Whether or not this poses a problem depends on the height of the scope mounts, size of the scope's adjustment saddle, and the length of the cartridge the rifle's chambered in. I have 2 Sako 85s and neither has any ejection troubles, but they are also chambered in .338 Fed and 7-08. I haven't seen any SA Sako 85s with ejection issues, only the LA versions.

Ted
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's some fine looking wood stocked rifles here https://www.sako.fi/rifles

Why are they not more popular? All I ever see on this board is talk of older models. Is it they are just not widely available? The scope rings? Because people mispronounce the name? I just don't get it.

Good question. I love 'em. A few months ago I ordered a .223 Bavarian, but EuroOptic says I have to wait a year to get it hear from Finland. There were none available for sale in the US.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's some fine looking wood stocked rifles here https://www.sako.fi/rifles

Why are they not more popular? All I ever see on this board is talk of older models. Is it they are just not widely available? The scope rings? Because people mispronounce the name? I just don't get it.

Good question. I love 'em. A few months ago I ordered a .223 Bavarian, but EuroOptic says I have to wait a year to get it hear from Finland. There were none available for sale in the US.

Tarquin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

They used to have gorgeous wood. The last few years, not so much. At least from what I've seen pictured on Gunbroker.

Scott
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Sako M85 in a 300 WSM that has this ejection issue. I sent it in to Beretta and they sent it back to me saying their was no issue - arrgh.

In short, yes, the ejection issue can sometimes be found in a short action Sako M85

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.