Home
Posted By: Bugger NULA - 11/06/21
I have never seen a used NULA rifle on line or in a gun store. Guess no one wants to let one go once they have one.

Question:

Does any company carry NULA rifles, or are they available only direct?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Some sporting goods store do stock NULAs, and not just in the U.S. My .30-06, for instance, was the indirect result of an order I placed in 1996. After using and owning several in chamberings from .223 Remington to .300 Winchester Magnum and .338-06 over the previous few years, I realized a .30-06 would be most practical, partly because I started traveling to hunt far more during the 1990s, and ammo availability can become an issue.

But Melvin called me not long afterward, saying that he'd sold two .30-06s to a store in Germany, and while they'd sold one they wanted to return the other for a rifle in a different chambering. The returned rifle happened to be exactly what I'd ordered--a 24" No. 2 contour Douglas barrel, and a plain black stock. So I took it, which is why I have one of the few NULAs in America with German proof marks.

I've also seen a few for sale in the Campfire Classifieds. But in general, NULA owners do tend to keep them, though once in a while an owner decides he wants a different chambering, and sells his present NULA to buy one.
Posted By: mathman Re: NULA - 11/06/21
There was one on the used rack at a local store a few years ago. I picked it up and found it was a 300 Weatherby. I put it back down. grin
Posted By: ejo Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Speaking with Melvin, placing an order for exactly what you want and anticipating delivery is much more enjoyable than purchasing used. Melvin is a great guy.
Posted By: 257James Re: NULA - 11/06/21
I’ve been mulling the idea of ordering one for a couple of years now. My biggest dilemma has been what chambering to order. I’m leaning towards a Model 20 in 257 AI with a 23” 1:9 barrel. Does anyone know how much of a deposit is required to place the order?
Posted By: DropTyne Re: NULA - 11/06/21

Call Melvin and talk to him directly. I assure you that it will be an enjoyable discussion.
Posted By: lotech Re: NULA - 11/06/21
I've had two for some years now, a .308 and a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart, pretty good rifles, very accurate and light enough to really appreciate when hiking in the mountains. The 7x61 is on its third barrel. I doubt Mr. Forbes will be building these rifles forever.
Posted By: ejo Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by 257Deland
I’ve been mulling the idea of ordering one for a couple of years now. My biggest dilemma has been what chambering to order. I’m leaning towards a Model 20 in 257 AI with a 23” 1:9 barrel. Does anyone know how much of a deposit is required to place the order?

1:8 twist no 2 barrel. Everything else sounds great. I have a 257 r and it is really a nice combo in the m20
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Mr. Forbes quoted me half when you place your order the other half upon completion.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Anyone know how far out Melvin is on new orders? Would love to order a Model 20 in 260 Rem 8 twist or 7-08 9 twist.
Posted By: Bugger Re: NULA - 11/06/21
My dilemma is that I doubt I could get more than one past the Mrs. and similar to 257Deland "what chambering"?
Further, I have sort of fit myself to the Remington 700 and now those stock dimensions feel right. I wonder if other dimensions would be best?
Posted By: HShunter36 Re: NULA - 11/06/21
I’ve never seen any for sale in a gun store. Between my father and I we have seven rifles built by Melvin. Four were ordered direct through him and the other three picked up here in the classifieds. We live within 2hrs of Melvins’s shop. If you ever pass through central Ohio you are welcome to try ours out.
Posted By: 257James Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Over the past couple of years I’ve upgraded all of my Rem 700s and Kimber 84s to TriggerTech. Since TriggerTech isn’t an option, should I go with a Timney or a Jewel? I’m using Timneys on a couple of 98s, I like them, but I’ve never tried a Jewel.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: NULA - 11/06/21
From looking at the NULA website Melvin doesn’t seem to offer stainless actions only stainless barrels. What kind of finishes are offered for the action is Nitride an option? I hate to call someone and potentially waste his time if he doesn’t offer what I want but the website leaves a lot to be desired.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
From looking at the NULA website Melvin doesn’t seem to offer stainless actions only stainless barrels. What kind of finishes are offered for the action is Nitride an option? I hate to call someone and potentially waste his time if he doesn’t offer what I want but the website leaves a lot to be desired.

Why don't you call Melvin and ask him? He answers the phone--and is happy to do so--and gives much more detailed answers than a website can provide.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by lotech
I doubt Mr. Forbes will be building these rifles forever.

Good point. And other “arrangements” have not produced the results that Melvin has when he has been personally involved. Anyone wanting a NULA probably should think hard about taking action.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: NULA - 11/06/21
Wait time is minimal now. You'll be pleased if you order.
Posted By: lotech Re: NULA - 11/06/21
I don't know what the finish is on the actions, but I've soaked one of my rifles hunting elk on a rainy day and had no sign of rust. Call Mr. Forbes; he's easy to talk to, can answer any questions, and he may offer some worthwhile advice you weren't even aware of.
I don't know what the finish is on the actions, but I've soaked one of my rifles hunting elk on a rainy day and had no sign of rust. Call Mr. Forbes; he's easy to talk to, can answer any questions, and he may offer some worthwhile advice you weren't even aware of.

Exactly--and he has reasons for just about every detail on the rifles, due to thorough testing both before he started building them in 1985, and added experience since.
Posted By: ilikeguns Re: NULA - 11/06/21
not a nula but same as, i just listed a forbes 20b 308 that just got back from melvin in the classifieds if your interested
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: NULA - 11/06/21

I’ve not had this experience. It’s actually the thing I like least about his rifles - one of the only things. On sheep hunts mine always seem to rust. Exterior action, mag box, feed ramp. Feeding gets sticky by the end of the trip. I understand his reasoning as I’ve had the conversation with him, but I do wish he had a full stainless option.
Posted By: guntradercn Re: NULA - 11/07/21
Melvin is a wealth of knowledge and it will be a shame when he no longer is able to build rifles. He has contributed alot to rifles being built today as they have been trying to catch up to him since 85
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: NULA - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I’ve not had this experience. It’s actually the thing I like least about his rifles - one of the only things. On sheep hunts mine always seem to rust. Exterior action, mag box, feed ramp. Feeding gets sticky by the end of the trip. I understand his reasoning as I’ve had the conversation with him, but I do wish he had a full stainless option.

Couldn't you have your rifle Cerakoted to help with the rusting?

I have stainless, Ceratoked CM, or Parkerized CM rifles that I could use in wet weather if I chose to hunt in wet weather.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: NULA - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Couldn't you have your rifle Cerakoted to help with the rusting?

I have stainless, Ceratoked CM, or Parkerized CM rifles that I could use in wet weather if I chose to hunt in wet weather.

Yes. Melvin will cerakote them if you really want. This particular nula isn’t. I probably should send it off to have it coated.

I do have a couple of other rifles which are full stainless, but this one usually gets the nod for “sentimental” reasons.
Posted By: huntingnt Re: NULA - 11/08/21
Crap! I leave for elk season and this happens! I'm also in for a .284, .308, or .22LR if there are any unicorns available
Posted By: 41rem Re: NULA - 11/08/21
Can he build a 9.3x62mm?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: NULA - 11/08/21
41rem,

I am sure he can--but as various people have pointed out here, and on other threads, he's really easy to contact and talk to. Phone 304-292-0600 and he'll answer.
Posted By: Oakster Re: NULA - 11/09/21
I am thinking of sending my Colt Light Rifle to him for the Forbes treatment. I would like to get it done while he is still building rifles. It would be a valuable upgrade to the rifle.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: NULA - 11/10/21
Oakster-
I've got several CLR's done. You won't regret it.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: NULA - 11/10/21
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

Call Melvin and talk to him directly. I assure you that it will be an enjoyable discussion.

I called him last spring and it was anything but enjoyable. He basically didn't want to talk to me until I paid him a $1000 deposit and when I tried to tell him what I would like he argued with me. I went another route, although I would like a NULA in .284 Winchester. I may try again and hope he is in a better mood, otherwise I'll look at a Cooper. Those folks were very courteous and helpful.
Posted By: fishermen0105 Re: NULA - 11/10/21
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I called him last spring and it was anything but enjoyable. He basically didn't want to talk to me until I paid him a $1000 deposit and when I tried to tell him what I would like he argued with me. I went another route, although I would like a NULA in .284 Winchester. I may try again and hope he is in a better mood, otherwise I'll look at a Cooper. Those folks were very courteous and helpful.

That was the complete opposite of my experience. I talked to him at least 4 times before ordering and each time was a learning experience. I took delivery of a model 20 284 this spring and was able to take a 5x5 elk in Colorado and doe whitetail in Texas with it already. I think its gonna be my go to mountain rifle.
Posted By: gene270 Re: NULA - 11/10/21
never had an issue with Melvin asking me for money before he would talk or do anything with me...not casting judgement but maybe he or you were having a bad day....
I have been able to talk to him about guns and many other things the guy is a wealth of knowledge on lots of topics
Posted By: fishermen0105 Re: NULA - 11/10/21
He actually rebuilt a CLR 7 mag for me recently and didnt even ask for a down payment.
Posted By: mathman Re: NULA - 11/10/21

Could what you wanted have been outside the parameters of what he considers prudent or practical for the type of rifle he builds?
Posted By: Oakster Re: NULA - 11/11/21
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Oakster-
I've got several CLR's done. You won't regret it.

That is good to know
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: NULA - 11/15/21
Originally Posted by fishermen0105

That was the complete opposite of my experience. I talked to him at least 4 times before ordering and each time was a learning experience. I took delivery of a model 20 284 this spring and was able to take a 5x5 elk in Colorado and doe whitetail in Texas with it already. I think its gonna be my go to mountain rifle.

Maybe he was having a bad day, but I didn't exaggerate.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: NULA - 11/15/21
Originally Posted by mathman

Could what you wanted have been outside the parameters of what he considers prudent or practical for the type of rifle he builds?

14" LOP and 24" barrel in .284 Win.
© 24hourcampfire