Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by lotech
I don't know what the finish is on the actions, but I've soaked one of my rifles hunting elk on a rainy day and had no sign of rust. Call Mr. Forbes; he's easy to talk to, can answer any questions, and he may offer some worthwhile advice you weren't even aware of.

I’ve not had this experience. It’s actually the thing I like least about his rifles - one of the only things. On sheep hunts mine always seem to rust. Exterior action, mag box, feed ramp. Feeding gets sticky by the end of the trip. I understand his reasoning as I’ve had the conversation with him, but I do wish he had a full stainless option.

GB1

G
G
Melvin is a wealth of knowledge and it will be a shame when he no longer is able to build rifles. He has contributed alot to rifles being built today as they have been trying to catch up to him since 85

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by lotech
I don't know what the finish is on the actions, but I've soaked one of my rifles hunting elk on a rainy day and had no sign of rust. Call Mr. Forbes; he's easy to talk to, can answer any questions, and he may offer some worthwhile advice you weren't even aware of.

I’ve not had this experience. It’s actually the thing I like least about his rifles - one of the only things. On sheep hunts mine always seem to rust. Exterior action, mag box, feed ramp. Feeding gets sticky by the end of the trip. I understand his reasoning as I’ve had the conversation with him, but I do wish he had a full stainless option.

Couldn't you have your rifle Cerakoted to help with the rusting?

I have stainless, Ceratoked CM, or Parkerized CM rifles that I could use in wet weather if I chose to hunt in wet weather.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Couldn't you have your rifle Cerakoted to help with the rusting?

I have stainless, Ceratoked CM, or Parkerized CM rifles that I could use in wet weather if I chose to hunt in wet weather.

Yes. Melvin will cerakote them if you really want. This particular nula isn’t. I probably should send it off to have it coated.

I do have a couple of other rifles which are full stainless, but this one usually gets the nod for “sentimental” reasons.

H
H
Crap! I leave for elk season and this happens! I'm also in for a .284, .308, or .22LR if there are any unicorns available

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Can he build a 9.3x62mm?

We deal in lead, friend.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
41rem,

I am sure he can--but as various people have pointed out here, and on other threads, he's really easy to contact and talk to. Phone 304-292-0600 and he'll answer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am thinking of sending my Colt Light Rifle to him for the Forbes treatment. I would like to get it done while he is still building rifles. It would be a valuable upgrade to the rifle.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Oakster-
I've got several CLR's done. You won't regret it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

Call Melvin and talk to him directly. I assure you that it will be an enjoyable discussion.

I called him last spring and it was anything but enjoyable. He basically didn't want to talk to me until I paid him a $1000 deposit and when I tried to tell him what I would like he argued with me. I went another route, although I would like a NULA in .284 Winchester. I may try again and hope he is in a better mood, otherwise I'll look at a Cooper. Those folks were very courteous and helpful.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Call Melvin and talk to him directly. I assure you that it will be an enjoyable discussion.

I called him last spring and it was anything but enjoyable. He basically didn't want to talk to me until I paid him a $1000 deposit and when I tried to tell him what I would like he argued with me. I went another route, although I would like a NULA in .284 Winchester. I may try again and hope he is in a better mood, otherwise I'll look at a Cooper. Those folks were very courteous and helpful.

That was the complete opposite of my experience. I talked to him at least 4 times before ordering and each time was a learning experience. I took delivery of a model 20 284 this spring and was able to take a 5x5 elk in Colorado and doe whitetail in Texas with it already. I think its gonna be my go to mountain rifle.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
never had an issue with Melvin asking me for money before he would talk or do anything with me...not casting judgement but maybe he or you were having a bad day....
I have been able to talk to him about guns and many other things the guy is a wealth of knowledge on lots of topics

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He actually rebuilt a CLR 7 mag for me recently and didnt even ask for a down payment.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Could what you wanted have been outside the parameters of what he considers prudent or practical for the type of rifle he builds?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Oakster-
I've got several CLR's done. You won't regret it.

That is good to know

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by fishermen0105

That was the complete opposite of my experience. I talked to him at least 4 times before ordering and each time was a learning experience. I took delivery of a model 20 284 this spring and was able to take a 5x5 elk in Colorado and doe whitetail in Texas with it already. I think its gonna be my go to mountain rifle.

Maybe he was having a bad day, but I didn't exaggerate.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mathman

Could what you wanted have been outside the parameters of what he considers prudent or practical for the type of rifle he builds?

14" LOP and 24" barrel in .284 Win.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.