Home
I think my choice is the 270 bee. For what I do in ms it works quite well... never had a 340bee but that would be my second choice if I had to have more gun
Haven't owned any, yet. But a 340 is on the short list.
300 Weatherby,7mm , 270 ,257, 240

300 Wby , crazy recoil but stupid accurate, not for the one ammo box a year hunter.

7mm bee, almost hits as hard as the 300 grossly underrated as far as a game cartridge. Nothing walks after getting hit.

270 bee, stupid accurate same as 7mm Bee

257 bee, first one was a vanguard with 24 inch barrel, did not care for the muzzle blast, new one is a Terramark 26 inch barrel, will know more in January after it gets used.

240 bee, had it in an accumark , crazy accurate and the gun was a feather. Have to get my head examined because I sold it.
The 257 Weatherby. It is most impressive on deer and hogs. Electrocution is the best term I can think of. Closest thing to a point and shoot rifle as you can get.

GreggH
257 Weatherby mag. is my all time favorite cartridge for hunting whitetail and mule deer bucks. i am in the process with a Weatherby Mark 5 action and a Brux 28 inch barrel with 7 1/2 twist finishing a long range rifle in a 257 Weatherby mag. for future deer hunting also.
.300 Weatherby.

Not due to any inherent superiority over any other .300 magnum but because it accounted for my best ever elk, a 7x7.
6.5 RPM. It's the only Weatherby I've ever shot. Easy to pack around high in the hills. Puts out the same velocities as the PRC.
I have owned Weatherby rifles in .257, 270 WSM (Vanguard), .300, and .416. By far, my favorite was the .257, which I used on everything from coyotes to elk. I have since sold all of them except the Vanguard, due to the weight of the Mk V rifles, in favor of lighter rifles.
The 300. It's accurate, hard hitting & flat shooting with 200 grain Nosler partitions and has replaced my 338 Win Mags. Not many game animals I'll be hunting that this won't do very well.
I have 257, 270, and 300. I like 270, 257, 300 in that order.
Love em all, had a 20 year love affair with the 257, still my favorite.. pretty amazing to think how far ahead Ol Roy was with his chamberings.
3006 Springfield !
300. I've had a few and they have always been very accurate.
I have had the .257(3 or 4], 7mm{ gave it to a friend. Very accurate .. one of my favorite coyote rifles}, .300 and .340.. The .300 is my favorite.. But hanging on to the .340 just because.. Someday I might make another .257 I still miss it but my .25-06 comes close,, Sorry about the goofy (, but can't see the right ones on this machine..
Although it is the only one I have, the .257 is my favorite. It fights well above its weight class. Mine has dropped animals from Grey Fox to elk, Nyala, and reedbok in their tracks.
Even though I haven't killed anything with it (not for lack of trying) I'd have to say the 340. But I also have a 270W & 240W I haven't shot at all yet, so we'll see. Local gun club has ranges closed for reconstruction for a few months now, and that's the easiest place for me to go.
My experience with below 30 cals is not the same as many here and otherwise. Just a few deer but I never got the "drop on the spot" that others seem to get despite similar shot placement. I don't understand it but that's my experience. I like it when they don't go anywhere, quick and humane. I have gotten DRT with the 30s and above, sooooo.
If you are a Handloader....the 300 Wby. One of the most efficient cartridges ever developed and can be loaded to recoil like a pussycat. Also, you can run 300 H&H ammo through the rifle.
I think the 340 Wby would be my pick of a favorite. That choice is likely fueled by Bob Hagel and Ross Seyfried writings. A friend of mine had one in a Mark V and it grouped very well with old Barnes X 225 grain bullets.
I do not own a 340. But have, had a donor rifle and brass for years. Other projects took priority and I learned to appreciate the 338 Winchester.

The 7mm Wby is also very intriguing to me as a 7mm fan.

I have a 300 Wby M70 stainless New Haven Classic. Basically bought it because it was somewhat usual chambering in that rifle. I do think it is a great cartridge.
300 Wby is by far my favorite. Killed piles of elk with one, using 180g Abonds or Barnes TSX bullets.

Second fav is the 30-378. This chambering was responsible for killing some elk in several stupidly bad spots. Sold it, and settled on a 300 RUM.

Loudner on both 300 Wby and RUM tames the beast and makes dudes like Judman really mad.

LOL

🦫

Hagel is also the reason I have a .340.. He had the most influence on me as a writer, Keith next..
I’ve owned several 257’s , three 270’s, one 7 mm, and two 300’s. And I almost forgot a 224.
My favorite is a 270. Hasbeen
.270 WM. Cause it’s the one I have. Nipponese Euromark, which always seemed weird to me. A Kalifornia engineered design, given a slight European look, made in Japan. But it is accurate. Before I loaded my BIL helped me with some 150 gr Interlock loads, with way too much RL22, because I refused to pay $19.99 a box for ammo anymore. After sighting the first 100 yd 3 shot group was 3/4”. Had another target at 200 yds and I immediately went to it for a 5/8” group. I’m really not that good consistently, but that day I was. Only issue is that skinny fore end. From the factory it had heavy pressure on the left side of the barrel. Relieved that but it has returned. It’s headed for a bedding job soon, perhaps full length.
I have a 300 and 340. Also had a 30-378. I much prefer the 340. With 210 PTs, it’s nearly as flat shooting as the 300, but I find the recoil to be more of a push than a sharp crack (they have identical stocks). I’ve shot deer, antelope moose and dozens of elk with the 210 PTs and have never been disappointed. It was amazingly accurate and regularly shot 1/2” to 3/4” groups with the now discontinued factory loads.

There’s nothing wrong with the 300, in fact, it is my preferred mule deer rifle. It is literally a 1/2” gun with 165g factory loads.

I played with 30-378 accumark for year but had a hard time getting excited about it. I hate muzzle breaks for hunting, and without one, it would leave me with a headache after every range session. It easily shot into 1”, but I could never cut that substantially with either factory loads or hand loads. In the end, the extra weight and recoil did not justify the 200fps advantage it had over the 300 and it went down the road.

The only other cartridge that tempted me was the 270. Because I already have a great shooting 270 wsm, I doubt that itch will be scratched.

The only other weatherby I can imagine purchasing at this point is in 30-06…and that will take some rationalization (I’ve got a great shooting T3X). I’ve got the fast 7mm itch scratched by a STW, and smaller calibers have never appeal to me…. Perhaps I’m in danger of forfeiting my rifle loony card.
I really don't have a reason why the 270 WM is my favorite. Fell in love with it when I was in high school. 43 years later I finally put together one. Got a Mark V and barreled it with a #3 Pac-Nor polygonal. Rifle shoots very good and seems to be "lucky"...I have seen game every time I carried it in the woods. Feel like I shoulda done this sooner!!!!
The 240 Wby is my current fav and the one I still have.

It's not actually a Weatherby, but an H.S. Precision SPL in a Hunters Edge, wearing a VX-6 in steel Talley's.

It really likes the 100 NPT over MRP. It's enough round for most anything I hunt.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My favorite is the one they never built. The 8mm Weatherby Magnum.That blatantly obvious performance gap between the 300 and 340 just begs to be filled by the might 8mm Weatherby.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

It's not actually a Weatherby, but an H.S. Precision SPL in a Hunters Edge, wearing a VX-6 in steel Talley's.

It really likes the 100 NPT over MRP. It's enough round for most anything I hunt.

DF

DF,
You sir, have some amazing rifles!
Originally Posted by jkinpa

DF

DF,
You sir, have some amazing rifles!

Thanks for those kinds words.

Guess I've been a gun nut for a very long time.

DF
I love all of them. I currently have .240, 257, 270, 7mm and 300 Weatherby Rounds. I use the .240 the most, for prairie mule deer and white tail. The 300 Weatherby has a muzzle break on it and recoils like a .243. The wife is going to use it for a buffalo hunt if she can ever draw a tag for the Wyoming license. I love the .257 but have not used it. I have never fired the 7mm or .270 weatherby.... maybe this coming summer.
Have used the .240, .257, .270, 7mm and .300 Weatherbys on big game, and those from .257-.300 on animals from pronghorns to elk. Have used the .257 and .300 in several rifles.

Prefer the .257, as its plenty for any legal big game in Montana, recoils about like a .270 Winchester, and in my experience is extremely accurate, whether in custom or Weatherby factory rifles.
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I have a 300 and 340. Also had a 30-378. I much prefer the 340. With 210 PTs, it’s nearly as flat shooting as the 300, but I find the recoil to be more of a push than a sharp crack (they have identical stocks). I’ve shot deer, antelope moose and dozens of elk with the 210 PTs and have never been disappointed. It was amazingly accurate and regularly shot 1/2” to 3/4” groups with the now discontinued factory loads.

There’s nothing wrong with the 300, in fact, it is my preferred mule deer rifle. It is literally a 1/2” gun with 165g factory loads.

I played with 30-378 accumark for year but had a hard time getting excited about it. I hate muzzle breaks for hunting, and without one, it would leave me with a headache after every range session. It easily shot into 1”, but I could never cut that substantially with either factory loads or hand loads. In the end, the extra weight and recoil did not justify the 200fps advantage it had over the 300 and it went down the road.

The only other cartridge that tempted me was the 270. Because I already have a great shooting 270 wsm, I doubt that itch will be scratched.

The only other weatherby I can imagine purchasing at this point is in 30-06…and that will take some rationalization (I’ve got a great shooting T3X). I’ve got the fast 7mm itch scratched by a STW, and smaller calibers have never appeal to me…. Perhaps I’m in danger of forfeiting my rifle loony card.

No need to surrender your rifle loony card. There’s no expiration date on them.

The 7STW is a fantastic round, IMO. I’ve always wanted a 340 wby. Had a 300wby for a short time, but the 7STW won out on that battle for me.
I’ve used two of them, a 30-378 and a 7mm. Both killed deer like the hammer of Thor.

I still have two 7mm’s in the safe. Not planning on them going anywhere soon.
I had two Weatherby Mark V in 257 Weatherby, increasable killing ability on this round with the factory 117 Ornx bullet I believe. Friend kIlled 6 bull elk with his Mark V. Then I met a gunsmith from San Diego that had a custom 257 with zero freebore and was shooting the 100g Nosler BT and Partitions at 3850. We shot the barrels out in 1600 rounds on chucks and coyotes. We got extra barrel life, due to the fact that the zero freebore added extra barrel life. Then I had PTG grind a reamer with zero freebore, and over time wore out 5 barrels shooting the 87's at 4130 and 100's at 4000 fps on a 30" hart bbl, with 26" Harts giving 3850 with the 100g bullets, and surprisingly, the 100g Partitions shot half inch groups.

With a Gentry muzzle break on a 26", #5 contour that I now have, you see the water vapor fly off the deer's opposite side as the bullet exits...so little recoil you see the animal collapse. I have never had a deer run when shot within 250 yards with this caliber...never.

Rock chucks detonated like a paint ball splattering on a black rock, and coyotes were cut in half at times.

I always shoot R#22 with 215's with 100g-117g Bullets, 3850-3600 respectively.
270 wthby mag shot some of my biggest WHITETAILS with it..mb
Only had one, 257 WM. Barnes 100 TTSX was very accurate in that rifle. Only reason I sold it was H1000 was no where to be found.
The only true Wby was my first .240 w, an Accumark Ultralight. Had a custom Mod 700 made up in it for my Godson and I tried a new Vanguard (really a Howa) in 240 also. Two 257s (one a converted Mod 700 Classic 25-06 original) and a full custom Mark X. I had one Custom Mod 700 in 340 Wby. All three are great calibers, flat and hit hard!
Had a few but the 340 is my favorite.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have used the .240, .257, .270, 7mm and .300 Weatherbys on big game, and those from .257-.300 on animals from pronghorns to elk. Have used the .257 and .300 in several rifles.

Prefer the .257, as its plenty for any legal big game in Montana, recoils about like a .270 Winchester, and in my experience is extremely accurate, whether in custom or Weatherby factory rifles.

Here here. I have owned a few and all of the 257's have been death rays on everything up to elk. I wish they were not so hard on barrels but man they shoot and kill well.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
270 wthby mag shot some of my biggest WHITETAILS with it..mb

Pards only/favorite rifle. I’ve seen him work some straight magic with that rifle
I have had both a 240 and 257 Weatherby magnum but decided for my 240 was my favorite so the 257 went down the road.
I have a German made mark V in 340 that I’ll never part with I have made some unbelievable shots with it and it’s flattened everything I’ve pointed it at from elk in the Rockies to kudu in Namibia but it’s recoil has broken a few scopes along the way. I put a nightforce on it last year and it held up solid so far. It’s absolutely an amazing caliber with 250 gr partitions but it kills both ways.
Buy my current favorite is my ultra lightweight six lug mark V in 240 Weatherby shooting Barnes ttxs it’s been dream to carry and bang flop every time I’ve pulled the trigger on black tail deer and hogs I think it’s about the perfect caliber for game under 200 lbs and inside 450 yards
I've only had a 300 and found it to be to much of a good thing, if you know what I mean.

If I ever have another one it would be either their 257 or 270.
Picked up a German made Mark V in 257 a week before season opened this year, sighted in with some old Weatherby factory 100 SPs that gun shop had and shot this guy. So I guess I really like the 257 weatherby now, lol.

My German 270 WBY. Also like the 257, but dont have one at this time.
I had a 240 and 257, both on Win 70 CRF actions, liked them both, easy to shoot, got tired of expensive and hard to find ammo and eventually sold them off. Even though I handload, you have to push the envelope to match factory velocity, the good and bad of Wby, at least the factory fodder was maxed out. Sounds like their business is thriving in Sheridan, WY.
Our family has used three different .300 Roys. We load 180s to 2900-2950 fps. Never saw it as "too much" for whitetails. Never saw it as not enough for elk and moose.

Maybe a .340 would have been better. Doubt it tho.

Maybe a .270 or 7mm Roy wouldn't have been as effective. Doubt that too.

So why .300? We have several lifetime supplies of .308" bullets. That makes the .300 Roy our favorite Weatherby cartridge.
My favorite Weatherby caliber is the 7mm. Why? Because that's the only one I own! However, I have hunted with and shot an elk with a borrowed 300 Weatherby Mark V of German manufacture, and I think that's the best Weatherby caliber of all.
I don't own any, but I've shot 240, 257, 300, and 416. 240 is favorite of the bunch, and 257 was a close second. 300 and 416 were both well beyond my comfort zone for recoil.

I've come close to pulling the trigger on a 257 a couple times at LGS, but the price of brass and eating so much powder just put me off. Ended up with a Savage 25-06 instead... total lemon that I traded off within months of buying it. In hindsight, I should have gotten the Vanguard in 257.
I've only owned 2, .240 and .257, both on 700 actions. Neither did as well as I hoped.

I would try the .240 again. I like big 6mms. I had a 6 Rem AI for a while which had some issues but when it was having a good day, it was fun, and I had a slow twist 6x.284 that was about as much fun as it's possible to have blowing up small fuzzies.

The other one that calls to me at times is the .224. Set up with a faster twist and configured for hunting, I think it would be a hell of a cartridge. Unless I had a pile of brass, though, I wouldn't go down that path.
Live2Hunt941: My two favorite Weatherby cartridges are the 224 Weatherby Magnum and the 240 Weatherby Magnum.
MANY years ago I decided I needed a "walking Varminter" and I chose a German production Weatherby MK-V in 224 Weatherby Magnum - it has been one of my favorite Rifles/cartridges ever since.
Accuracy and flat trajectory are just a couple of reasons why.
Then I decided I needed a LONG range Rock Chuck, Coyote and Antelope Rifle and I had a custom Rifle in 240 Weatherby Magnum built on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action.
My 240 has a 27" heavy stainless Hart barrel and its accuracy can only be described as excellent!
All of the rumors and innuendos I had heard about lack of accuracy and poor brass life with these two Weatherby cartridges have long since been disregarded.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
My favorites are .240, .257, .270, .300, .340 and finally the big boy .460 Wby.
My favorite? Any of them, as long as it belongs to somebody else and not me!
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My favorites are .240, .257, .270, .300, .340 and finally the big boy .460 Wby.

The latter being yo fav jackwabbit shooter....

DF
Originally Posted by zcm82
I don't own any, but I've shot 240, 257, 300, and 416. 240 is favorite of the bunch, and 257 was a close second. 300 and 416 were both well beyond my comfort zone for recoil.

I've come close to pulling the trigger on a 257 a couple times at LGS, but the price of brass and eating so much powder just put me off. Ended up with a Savage 25-06 instead... total lemon that I traded off within months of buying it. In hindsight, I should have gotten the Vanguard in 257.

In my experience with a couple of 'em, the Vanguard .257 Weatherbys really shoot well. My first .257 Wby. was a Vanguard Sporter, with a walnut stock and blued barrel. It would put three of the handload I worked up (Ramshot Magnum and 100-grain TSXs into 1-1/2"--at 300 yards.
I've never owned a Weatherby or a rifle in a Weatherby caliber. The closest I've come is a friend who has a .300 Weatherby. I saw him kill a really good caribou at about 400 yards with it. On the same hunt I killed one almost as far with my .25-06 AI. Both shots left our guide just shaking his head...I think he was used to seeing 'bou get killed a lot closer than those two.

If I were to actually get a Weatherby (come close a few times, but less and less likely as I "mature") it would almost certainly be a .257 as I have a great affinity toward the quarter-bores.

In my experience with a couple of 'em, the Vanguard .257 Weatherbys really shoot well. My first .257 Wby. was a Vanguard Sporter, with a walnut barrel. It would put three of the handload I worked up (Ramshot Magnum and 100-grain TSXs into 1-1/2"--at 300 yards.

My Dad has a Vanguard in 25-06 that's a good shooter with both the 90gr GMX and 100 TTSX.

I ended up sending a 300 Savage with really bad headspace to McGowen in August. Getting it rebarreled in 250 Savage to scratch my quarter bore itch. I'm not a very long distance shooter, and I love my 99s, so it should fit the bill for me. 20-25 week turnaround... should be getting it back around the turn of the new year.
I bought a semi-custom Rem 721 chambered in 7mm Weatherby at a gun show. It was a great shooter with everything I loaded for it. The hotter I loaded the better it liked it.
The stock was a little too custom/fancy for me so I sold it off. I have wanted another 721 (or 722) ever since and wouldn't hesitate to have another 7mm Weatherby.

In my experience with a couple of 'em, the Vanguard .257 Weatherbys really shoot well. My first .257 Wby. was a Vanguard Sporter, with a walnut barrel.

LOL, I've gone to mahogany barrels, I was getting too much throat erosion with walnut.....
Owning a 270, 300 & 340 all Mk V

I’d say that my 270 Wby with 150gr NP has been a pleasure to shoot & hunt with. Mine is one of the early Super Biggame Masters or something like that that is a very light gun with a 26” fluted barrel.

I only bring the others on a hunt if required - especially the 340. It’s very accurate but not fun to shoot more than needed. I’ve had it for a long time but I just don’t hunt like I once did after moving East.
Originally Posted by smokepole

In my experience with a couple of 'em, the Vanguard .257 Weatherbys really shoot well. My first .257 Wby. was a Vanguard Sporter, with a walnut barrel.

LOL, I've gone to mahogany barrels, I was getting too much throat erosion with walnut.....

I like the French walnut barrels, makes me bit snobbish on the range.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I like the French walnut barrels, makes me bit snobbish on the range.

Do you get them cryo-ed for stress relief? Seems like too much figure in a barrel might not be a good thing.
The better the figure the better it shoots.
Always wanted to try a .257 as a deer/ antelope rifle.

But on the other hand, I'm just an old confused 7mm Rem Mag fan shooting high BC bullets that seem to work great, especially on windy days.

Hold into the meat.

7mm Guy

Thanks for the catch! My thoughts got ahead of my fingers. Fixed it.
I was always impressed with the 300, I have played with my vanguard 6.5-300.
Ask him about his chrome moly stock…
A 240, 257, 270, and 30-378. I simply have a need for speed. Would like to pick up a 6.5x300
.378 b/c of the mild recoil.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

I prefer the .416 WByMag for same reason.
And I must add that I prefer a synthetic barrel over wood of any kind.

Thanks for the catch! My thoughts got ahead of my fingers. Fixed it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

And when the 505Gibbs recoil is getting too comfortable
257 Weatherby: I've never seen any other caliber come close to anchoring deer, RIGHT THERE.
300 Weatherby: Arguably, the greatest all around caliber out there. I've taken lots of game with it, including about 17 species of African game.
340 Weatherby: Very badass. 338 Winchester on steroids. IF when I ever go fro brown bear, this will be my caliber of choice.
I started out many years ago as a 270 Wby fanboy, so to speak. Great cartridge and amazing ballistics, but after picking up and hunting with a 257 Weatherby a few years later, the 270 Wby rarely leaves the safe. I quickly discovered the 257 kills em' just as dead and does so with less recoil. Also, I will say, every single animal I've shot here in Central and South Tx has dropped at the shot from my 257. Amazing killer. With the 270, I've had a few run 20-30 yds before going down. Purely anecdotal, but just my experience I will say, I've been hunting with a 240 quite a bit these last few years and it's quickly taken a close 2nd as my favorite to my 257. 95gr NBT's at 3450 are nasty.
Got my first last spring. Never got to shoot a deer with it because of daughter and grandson duties. That’s ok though. I kinda wanted to see what a 150 grainers at 3295 did. Oh well next year. Edk
Originally Posted by keith
I I met a gunsmith from San Diego that had a custom 257 with zero freebore and was shooting the 100g Nosler BT and Partitions at 3850. We shot the barrels out in 1600 rounds on chucks and coyotes. We got extra barrel life, due to the fact that the zero freebore added extra barrel life. .

I thought about a zero freebore Wby, but became concerned about someone shooting factory ammo and getting into pressure. As you know, Wby factory ammo is pretty hot. Freebore may tolerate hotter rounds than zero freebore, or at least that's what I've read.

If you know what you have, you can load accordingly. But, if a future owner doesn't know about freebore or the lack there of, he may get excessive pressure with factory ammo. At least that's what kept me from building one.

And, am curious how zero free bore adds extra barrel life.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and experience on this.

DF
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My favorite? Any of them, as long as it belongs to somebody else and not me!

Two kinds of Weatherby folks: Those who own them and those that wish they did….

Curmudgeons abound.

I got my first Mark V 7mm as a rough donor to rebarrel to 7mm STW. After some fine groups with Weatherby factory ammo and comparing the performance of 7 Wby and 7 STW, I decided to keep it and refinish it. My wife gave me a Mark V lightweight .30-06 for our 30th anniversary. Then along came a .300 and another 7mm Roy. Last year I won a 6.5-300 Wby at an RMEF banquet, which I’ve not hunted with yet.

Happy Trails
My favorite is probably the .340, just because it is the only Weatherby cartridge that I have spent any real time with. I think I killed caribou, elk, mule deer, whitetail and black bear with it, plus smaller critters. Spire points and accubonds if I remember correctly. I finally traded it off a couple years ago as I just didn't like dealing with the recoil and that multi lug Mark V action didn't impress me much. It was heavy too.

I really don't miss it, though it hit critters (and myself) with authority.
Here’s a sexy little Weatherby I made a few mods to. It started out as a like new Weatherby custom house job in 300 Wby.

The original owner had, I assume, placed the rifle in his safe with a moisture spot on the barrel. When it was made for sale, the barrel had a dime sized erosion spot that had eaten down into the barrel ~ couldn’t be buffed out or filled.

With a deep discount on the price. I bought it, shot it, and found it to have typical Weatherby accuracy ~ 1.5” at 100 yards with 5 rounds.

I elected to put a new Lilja tube on it, and a MCM stock. Turned it into a Black Knight that shot sub @ 100.

I killed a few deer with it, then sold it to find something else I desired more.

Kinda wish I’d kept it...It was a really good shooting rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
I like several Weatherby calibers, but the .300 is my favorite:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16671066/300-weatherby-magnum

Why? It weighs right at 9# as pictured, is accurate with a variety of bullets, is easy to shoot well and hit with.
I've had most of them including a couple of .340's and 3 different .416's, 2 custom barrels, 1 triple magnaported, 1 factor break and 1 clean barrel, cropped to 25 inches which tended to be the most accurate of the three and generated the highest velocities.

It took me 12 years to shoot the barrel out on the .257 but that included 600 of the rounds at range time and load development, the balance on game. It seemed to kill more instantly than the .270 even when lighter 110 grain and 130 grain bullets were used. Normally I favor a jump in caliber before more velocity but once you get towards those mid 3000's in velocity, you start witnessing a cartridge that breaks all the common opinions. The .257 is exceptional on medium game and if capable of whatever the rifleman is capable.

The .270 was its equal for one shot drops when using 130 grain CnC bullets but as the .270 Weatherby had been used and very successfully on water buffalo, lots of them, using 150 and 160gn Partitions, I also tried the cartridge which some heavier weights for caliber and found it worked well on the mostly medium sized feral game. Never saw a 7mm Weatherby but have used the Remington and STW on game so they are much the same and equal to the .270 Weatherby at least on the game I hunted.

The 300's and .340 couldn't really be tested for any difference or benefit, nor could the 338/378 I had on Aussie game as the aforementioned cartridges sufficed more than adequately for what we had and red deer did not prove as tough as born wild brumbies.

Once you get up to the .378 Weatherby you need a marketing hat to convince yourself you need it, meaning a use for it because the .416 and .460 can cover the same ground. I used the .416's from 1990 to 2002 and never had a complaint. The .460 I used a lot longer than that so often had them in the field at the same time as well as several .458's. Never met and animal that didn't meet its match with those.

The big surprise is accuracy. If you can master the big Weatherby's, they offer surprising accuracy where cloverleaf groups are absolutely not rare.

I think the 240 is as good as contributors state, it does drop deer sized game cleanly and in the 26 inch barrel is relatively soft on the ear. In a practical sense though it offers far less than the standard .25/06 due the cost of brass, case capacity, bullet weight range. I've had both and still have the .25/06 which also has the 26 inch barrel.

Which is best? Hard to provide facts over opinions but the .257 as a pure hunting rifle is good, the .340 is really proving your money's worth if you hunt larger animals but the secret here is to get the barrel Magnaported. It doesn't produce any noticeable increase in muzzle blast, holds the muzzle lower to point of aim and definitely feels like there is a recoil reduction. Add to this lot the .460 as you can load it to your own recoil level and still have reasonably common loading components. Brass lasts forever and the medium 4064/Varget/ 350/760 type powders work very well. If you want to travel light, the .416 can be bought or built in a lighter package but you will need to choose between velocity, recoil and a break of some sort. I probably killed more animals with my first .416 which had no break, but I was half my age and half as smart back then.

If you want 2, I'd recommend a 7mm and a .340.

If you want one, get the .257.
My experience with Weatherby Mark v rifles began in the early 80's, I worked as an Elk guide for a decade.
Dude hunters showed up with these things, they seemed to shoot terribly, one guy told me his rifle was factory zeroed.
The rifles were probably fine but performed poorly due to some amount of ignorance about them.
Got just in my craw and is still there. Funny how that works
I never could get into the Weatherby game. Belts are a negative, not a positive. Half of them are twisted wrong. The double radius shoulder seems to work slightly worse than an improve 40deg shoulder. All their guns are long barrel, long or magnum action behemoths that I can't see a reason to carry.

With the advent of the RUM and Nosler cases for ultra-magnums, I have a hard time imagining I'd ever buy a Weatherby.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I never could get into the Weatherby game. Belts are a negative, not a positive. Half of them are twisted wrong. The double radius shoulder seems to work slightly worse than an improve 40deg shoulder. All their guns are long barrel, long or magnum action behemoths that I can't see a reason to carry.

With the advent of the RUM and Nosler cases for ultra-magnums, I have a hard time imagining I'd ever buy a Weatherby.

Then, which of those terrible Wby rounds is your fav?

DF
[quote=keith]I

DF

Not Keith, but I’ve had rifles that I’ve set the bullets out further as the throat wore. In particular a 6mm on a Mauser action. I was young when dad built that rifle for me. After numerous PD shoots I noticed accuracy fading. When I seated the bullets out further accuracy came back.
I have and like the 257 and the 270. I’m not much of a magnum rifle guy but neither of them produce a lot of recoil.

I have used them enough to believe that something happens on game when you get over 3500fps as long as you’re careful to use good bullets or stay in the ribs using softer slugs. In numerous deer, elk, and caribou I’ve used these two on from 75 to 400 yards I’ve never had one move more than a few steps.

I’m not a MKV guy, one of mine is a M70 and the other is a Voere. I received both with badly pitted barrels and got a good deal on the blanks I ended up using, never actually set out to have a WBY mag just a matter of convenience. I haven’t used any Weatherby brass either. I have friends and family who aren’t handloaders but are 7RM shooters. They give me their once fireds and I run them through a FL die and Viola!
Originally Posted by comerade
My experience with Weatherby Mark v rifles began in the early 80's, I worked as an Elk guide for a decade.
Dude hunters showed up with these things, they seemed to shoot terribly, one guy told me his rifle was factory zeroed.
The rifles were probably fine but performed poorly due to some amount of ignorance about them.

I’ve only been on 1 guided big game hunt in my life and I brought my well worn 70’s vintage Rem 700 300 Win Mag & left my Weatherby home. Guide & I got along great and since hunted on the personal side many times since - just didn’t want to give the wrong initial impression.

We used to wonder the same thing about dudes who showed up in camp with fancy Orvis, Sage, Winston etc fly rods - some of them could even fish. Generally they were surprised that a young cowboy could outfish them with an old Cortland & Pfluger setup.

In my experience with a couple of 'em, the Vanguard .257 Weatherbys really shoot well. My first .257 Wby. was a Vanguard Sporter, with a walnut stock and blued barrel. It would put three of the handload I worked up (Ramshot Magnum and 100-grain TSXs into 1-1/2"--at 300 yards.

Doing a search on-line, I can only find synthetic stocked 257 vanguards.
Have you had as good of results with synthetic Vanguards?

My 300 Weatherby’s are 700 classics. They don’t recoil badly. I believe they are probably heavier than Vanguards. I put a BDL stock on the one I use. They other is a safe queen.
Bugger,

Haven't had as good luck with synthetic-stocked Vanguards, even after rebedding, probably because the stocks were pretty flexible. But the last one I tried was a while back.

Have have much better luck with synthetic-stocked Mark Vs.
I have a 240 and a 300 Weatherby mag. I like both equally well. I use the 240 much more often. Both are re-stocked with McMillan stocks. The 240 got banged around a lot coyote hunting. I like the 240 because while out coyote hunting it's plenty to take down a pig if I run into one here here in Central California. Shoots flat and fast. I actually wore out that rifle barrel and re-barreled it with a Shilen. I got it early in my reloading days and experimented extensively with it. I like the 300 cuz it shoots 180 TTSX bullets sub-MOA and 200 Accubonds just as well. I had a 180 TSX once go thru both shoulders of an elk and exit. Good performance IMHO.
I’ve been thinking about this thread. If you like pure versatility then the .300 is very hard to beat. If you like a ridiculous point & shoot smallbore get a .257 or .270.

I went out & shot my 340 today. If you are looking for something that is incredibly accurate, punishing on both ends and able to inspire some awe - get a 340.

I hate that I love that rifle. Fibermark MkV. Its an honest rifle that asks a lot from the marksman but if you desire to poke holes in animals far, far away this or the .338 Lapua (almost indistinguishable) is your huckleberry. The 340 is best used in the field - not off a bench IMO - it’s got a stiff response to your best efforts but not terrible.
Originally Posted by keith
I I met a gunsmith from San Diego that had a custom 257 with zero freebore and was shooting the 100g Nosler BT and Partitions at 3850. We shot the barrels out in 1600 rounds on chucks and coyotes. We got extra barrel life, due to the fact that the zero freebore added extra barrel life. .

I thought about a zero freebore Wby, but became concerned about someone shooting factory ammo and getting into pressure. As you know, Wby factory ammo is pretty hot. Freebore may tolerate hotter rounds than zero freebore, or at least that's what I've read.

If you know what you have, you can load accordingly. But, if a future owner doesn't know about freebore or the lack there of, he may get excessive pressure with factory ammo. At least that's what kept me from building one.

DF

I had one of my 270 wby’s rebarreled with no free bore. Gun smith ordered a special reamer for this. He used what he called a throater to set up the leade I wanted. He borrowed my modified case and chamber all to set it up.
The bullet I wanted to use was a 140 Fail Safe. We seated the bullet to the depth we wanted in the case neck.
Then he set the ogive at 20 thousands from touching. He used my chamber all to get this measurement.
You could not use factory ammo in this rifle. Load was 70 grains of rl22 with 140 Fail Safe. 3335 fps avg.
Hasbeen
I have never owned a Weatherby rifle or rifle chambered in a Weatherby cartridge. IF I was to ever get one, it would have to be the 270.

Thought it would be pretty cool to push a 85gr TSX to 3900fps.
Never thought of that CRS - I’m gonna do it (if I can find the bullet)
I have a 240, a 7 mm Wby and a 300 Wby, all in Mk V’s. I’ve had the 240 and 7 Wby since about ‘81 and the 300 for a few months. My favorite is probably the 240 but since it only took a couple of loading series with the 300 to attain groups less than an inch it is pushing to the front.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by comerade

I’ve only been on 1 guided big game hunt in my life and I brought my well worn 70’s vintage Rem 700 300 Win Mag & left my Weatherby home. Guide & I got along great and since hunted on the personal side many times since - just didn’t want to give the wrong initial impression.

We used to wonder the same thing about dudes who showed up in camp with fancy Orvis, Sage, Winston etc fly rods - some of them could even fish. Generally they were surprised that a young cowboy could outfish them with an old Cortland & Pfluger setup.

I don't know about dude fishermen, my experience is with client hunters but often then didn't do this on the skinny....in those days. I suspected Daddy funded some of these hunts. Shiny Weatherby's , German glass etc. Many were Safari club guys.
My favorites were tradesman, construction worker types that saved up for this vacation. A 10 day hunt reveals alot....some fine folks...
Originally Posted by CRS
I have never owned a Weatherby rifle or rifle chambered in a Weatherby cartridge. IF I was to ever get one, it would have to be the 270.

Thought it would be pretty cool to push a 85gr TSX to 3900fps.

A friend put a Shilen 270 Wby barrel on an old shot out 7RM Ruger 77 Tanger. That thing is amazing, It'll shoot a 130 gr. as fast and flat as the 26 Nosler will a 140 gr and with a lot less powder. We had built a pair of Noslers. Our deer can't tell the difference between a 130 and a 140 gr. bullet.

The 270 Wby is a great round.

I'd be a bit cautious pushing a very light, low S.D. bullet at hyper velocity. I had a 80 gr. TTSX out of a .240 Wby at 3,600 fps blow up on the chest of a WT doe. BIG blast effect on the rib cage, not much internal damage. She ran 100 yds, had to find her in the woods at night with lights. Not a lot of fun.

That gun now has dedicated load of 100 gr. NPT over MRP. No more 80 TTSX's at 3,600 fps. for me, at least not for WT's. It was very accurate, but not quite as accurate as the NPT load (half MOA). Others may have different experiences. Once burned.....

DF
Originally Posted by GreggH
The 257 Weatherby. It is most impressive on deer and hogs. Electrocution is the best term I can think of. Closest thing to a point and shoot rifle as you can get.

GreggH

I have a 224, and custom rifles chambered in 240 and 257. For deer, and antelope and also coyotes that think they’re out of range, the 257 weatherby is a fantastic cartridge.
.270 wby. Because it's what I killed my ram with. Lol.

I'll cast the odd vote for the 375 Weatherby. In a pinch you can feed it standard 375 H&H ammo and what's not to like about a 300 gr. Nosler AB at 2800 fps.
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
.270 wby. Because it's what I killed my ram with. Lol.

Nice.

DF
© 24hourcampfire