Home
I have just about given up.

For the life of me, I can't keep a consistent angle on any stone, diamond plate or steel small enough to carry with me in the field. I end up getting it sharp, then with the next stroke wiping out all of my progress. Even with a bench-mounted stone, I am one of the unfortunate "sharpening-disabled" that never gets the results others brag about.

When hunting, I either carry more than one knife with me or use a replaceable scalpel blade knife.

I did pick up a nice drop-point skinner with a S30V blade, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I figure that should last me through the season, except in exceptional circumstances.

How do YOU handle this problem?
I learned how to sharpen a knife by hand with just a
whetstone many years ago. I screwed up a lot before
I figured it out.
Not really any places where I hunt to plug in any
electric sharpening machines

The only advice I could give if one can't sharpen a
knife by hand with a whetstone would be to obtain
one of many replaceable blade knives now available
on the market. There wasn't any such thing years back
when I learned. I'd be all over it if I couldn't do what
I do.
One other thing is to stop whacking at the stone
as soon as I get a cutting edge. It doesn't usually
take but a minute or so to put things back in order.

Good Luck
If you can’t do it by hand with something like a DMT diafold (what I usually throw in the pack) try either a sharpmaker or one of the cheap Rada pull through sharpeners. I really like the Sharpmaker. Ive never used the Rada but it gets good reviews for what it is.
If you need to touch up your blade in the field, the top edge of your truck door window will have razor sharp with just a few strokes. Assuming it already has a good edge.
I know it sound odd to some, but what he'll is wrong with carrying more than one knife. I carry a small Gerber hatchet , came with a caping knife in the handle.
I keep it razor sharp, never use for anything but game. I carry a buck small blade fixed blade in the pack. And a Gerber gator half serrated on my belt. Holding the hatchet like an ulu, skinning becomes simple . I did my brothers elk and mine, never needed to sharpen it until after getting home. The small knives are gutting. Deer are extra simple, start at the neck when you have a good start, pull the hide off,,bumping harder spots with the gutting knife! Just my way others mileage may vary.
https://www.kroger.com/product/images/large/front/0002792519004

These are super light and quickly make a dull knife usable. Not quite like at home, but will keep you cutting. Just a few pulls on each side. Often just need the ceramic side.
I used to carry a $4 lansky mini crock similar to what iron bender posted above, to touch up Vicky parers in the field.

For years now, I’ve been using a havalon and never sharpen in the field anymore, just pop a new blade in. Pocket folder to pop joints or pop blades out of the havalon. Doesn’t get enough use to ever need sharpening in the field.
For skinning and gutting I usually have a knife roll with a Victorinox boner and a Victorinox skinner, together with a steel and a folding gambrel in camp, and use it for all the skinning and butchery. Steeling your knife regularly keeps the edge, without needing to remove metal, and you can do a lot of work before you need to actually whet your knife on a stone.

Out in the bush I have a knife to open and gut, and to do things like putting the foreleg through the tendon of the corresponding hind leg so as to make it easier to carry the deer out. A knife should do several before needing any work, if it is a good one. Just in case a knife should need a touch up I have for some years had a steel card, the size and thickness of a credit card, impregnated with diamond abrasive. It sits in my wallet with the actual credit cards, licences etc, taking up no appreciable room or weight. It does a good job. I don't remember the brand, but I doubt they are hard to get.

One other thing that may help you here is a knife with a Scandinavian grind. For these you can just sit the bevel of the Scandi grind flat onto the stone/sharpener to get the angle. You grind the whole of that wide bevel. I have a couple of Helles made this way, and they are definitely very easy to maintain the angle on. You could even colour the whole bevel with a Sharpie, and then use the stone to remove it evenly, to help you.

The Helle knives also come with a laminated steel blade, meaning that a very hard layer (for great edge retention) is sandwiched between softer layers (for better toughness). I remember once using one of these to gut, skin and butcher several deer in a row, without any need to touch up.
Keep two sharp knives with me, usually a Buck folder with S30V and a fixed blade. If they need touching up (not sharpening) I run them a few strokes over a ceramic rod. All done.
Really only reason to have two is if I have to clean something really sandy or muddy. Usually one will do it.
For deer One knife is enough, no need to sharpen even through a couple deer. In fact for years I had a western knife that was made of something like 440A steel and even that held an edge through a couple of deer.

I find it helps to have a second blade for a moose, between the skinning and getting through the knees one knife is marginal. Rather than field sharpen I just carry two. However i just bought a Outdoor edge razorlite replaceable blade knife and see how that goes next year.
Use a folding diamond stone, piece of saddle girth for a strop in my backpack. The strop is what really does the trick on my Buck 118’s
Only shooting and field dressing whitetails I've never had the need to sharpen a kinfe in the field as I don't even cut to the bone when gutting.

However, if I felt the need to carry a sharpener, it would be the same one I ust at home for kitchen kiives, fillet knives or any other knife for that matter.
A few strokes and you have your edge right back where it should be.

Accusharp
My hunting buddies hand their knives to me for sharpening. The key is to keep the knife at the same angle. I hone the knife at a slightly steeper angle. Last couple of hunts I've carried a replaceable blade knife along with my favorite knife especially useful with bigger game animals like elk. I like smaller knives than many - much handier, IMO. While I have large knives, I mainly use the larger knives when cutting up meat for the freezer or the grinder. I avoid cutting bone with knives - many people seem to feel the need to cut the sternum, I don't understand this need and have not done this for a many years. Also, when cutting skin, cut the skin from the inside rather than cutting through hair - as much as possible.
Happy hunting

Bugger
I always have a “diamond” sharpener with me when hunting! If you do not allow your knife to get too dull......the back side of a leather belt can bring it to near razor edge! I suspect that most of us wear a leather belt! memtb
Yup, Accusharp in a pinch.
Also have in my truck the Work Sharp Field Sharpener.

Usually dress 2 deer before I need to touch it up.
What are y'all cutting up elk/moose?

Get it sharp, keep it off of bone, rocks, dirt.

Carry a Havalon or something with replaceable blades..
Last month I field-dressed 4 deer with one of Dale Howe's knives and a Sagan Saw that I used to split the pelvic bones and the sternums. The blade is still sharp, but a few swipes across the ceramic sticks brought it back to close to razor sharp. I don't like to resharpen in the field if I can avoid it, as I don't like to get blood, fat, or hair on the sharpener.

I usually carry a spare knife in my field-dressing kit, often a Mora, a Cold Steel Pendleton Lite, or a serrated Victorinox paring knife.
A 1000grit Japanese waterstone hone.
hanco, what can I use for a strop, an old belt, piece of saddle leather.. I often wondered if that took a certain kind of leather..
Not long till you retire, enjoy.. It was wonderful..
When hunting I almost always have a second knife.... its like a NY reload. Be prepared. For deer and smaller game, its unlikely you will need to sharpen a knife, as long as it was sharp when you started hunting.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'll have one or both of these, my pocket knife because I have pants on and sometimes the Havalon which I've still never used in the other pocket or daypack.....and all I hunt is deer.
Originally Posted by czech1022
...(snip)...

I don't bother. Unless I were on a truly extended hunting trip .. say african safari .. the size / weight of the sharpening tools needed to get the sort of edge I demand is greater than the size / weight of a second, and probably a third, already sharp knife. That backup knife is a lot faster to get rolling than stopping to sharpen a single knife, too.

Tom
Sharpening is removing metal to create a new edge. That wears a knife out. Do so as little as possible. The knife I use daily gets sharpened once or twice per year. My son has a Mora I've never actually sharpened since he got it a couple years ago.

The thing is you never let it get dull so you never have to sharpen it. Knives are not for cutting bone. When the edge loses it's keenness, straighten it back out. Think straight blade of grass vs one the wind has blown over a little. You can see and feel this.

There are different means to straighten the blade of grass. A few have already been mentioned. The only skill is being able to match the angle of the edge to the steel or hone or whatever. Real simple.
It's only a knife, it not like it's chisel or plane iron. Flesh is easy to cut. I haven't yet done this, but I keep thinking about buying half a dozen skinning knives at a butcher shop wholesaler. Hitting moose hair is the same as dragging the blade across a rock.

I have started using the Outdoor Edge knife with replaceable blades.The blades dont weigh as much or take up as much space as sharpening devices, and when one gets dull, you just replace it and carry on. The nay sayers will point out that they dull easily and aren't good steel. Probably true, but the convenience makes up for it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have a Diamond EZ Lap with me when hunting.
Small light and good for a touch up if needed.
Originally Posted by ingwe

I have started using the Outdoor Edge knife with replaceable blades.The blades dont weigh as much or take up as much space as sharpening devices, and when one gets dull, you just replace it and carry on. The nay sayers will point out that they dull easily and aren't good steel. Probably true, but the convenience makes up for it.

I wish more of my acquaintances that can't sharpen
would do that. If I couldn't sharpen, I'd already
have one or more and blades enough for the
rest of my life
Carry a Havalon. Replace the blade in less than 5 seconds when it gets dull.
I use a regular knife for field dressing and a replaceable blade knife for skinning. I've rarely needed to sharpen my regular knives in the field, but skinning will dull an edge, and for that I just replace the blade. I do carry a small stone, but have never needed to use it since I started using replaceable blade knives for skinning.
A Latigo & green stropping compound tunes a nice blade like a razor.

Stones (most anyway under 3000) are for setting an edge or fixing damage not for making a razor edge.

Use your strop or tile or glass in a light feathering reverse and your blade will be sweet.
I have 1 of these so would probably use it for an away hunt

https://lansky.com/index.php/products/blademedic-knife-sharpener/
For deer?
What the hell are you cutting?
I can see needing to sharpen to work up a moose.
Maybe an elk.

But deer.

I've bones 2 and gutted on in one sitting and the knife was workable.
Not real sharp, but not dull enough to be much trouble.
If a steel had been available, it would have been used.

Heck we used to kill several cows in a day with only stealing
the knives to keep going. That was skinning and quartering.
Czech10/22: Consider this - and never have to sharpen afield again!
I carry 2 (two!) knives at all times when I am afield Hunting.
The 2 (two) knives I carry on my Hunts have 3 (three!) blades total.
Even after much use and work on game I do NOT have to worry about sharpening "afield".
I carry a LARGE Buck Model 315 (with two long robust blades) and a BuckLite Model 110 with a single very adequate blade.
I of course have a carbide type "sharpener" back at my camp/vehicle at all times as well.
Yeah, take two knives along with you on your treks afield - works for me and has for a VERY long time.
Good luck with whichever you choose to solve your "problem".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
V block style sharpeners, like the Spyderco Sharpmaker, are the easiest way to ‘manually’ sharpen a knife in my opinion. Here is a pretty compact version that should easily fit in a pack with your gear.

https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell-Field-Sharpener--AG3750

[quote=ironbender]https://www.kroger.com/product/images/large/front/0002792519004

These are super light and quickly make a dull knife usable. Not quite like at home, but will keep you cutting. Just a few pulls on each side. Often just need the ceramic side.

{Quote}
That's what I use and it gets you back in business quickly and will keep you going. That's important with a big animal like a moose.
I carry several.

One is always a Case Trapper and the others are various different blade types.

I also carry something to wipe the fat off the blade to help it cut better.

I have a crock stick and a diamond sharpener that fits in a shirt pocket.
My preferred steel in a hunting knife is 3V. I also prefer to have a knife with a fully convex edge. 3V has enough edge retention i can field process multiple deer before needling to touch up the edge.

When I feel the need to carry a way to touch up the edge in the field I have a compact strop loaded with abrasive compound. I find a convex edge much easier to maintain by hand.

If I was really concerned about being able to restore an edge in the field, a few pieces of wet/dry sandpaper could be included with the strip. Wrap a piece of sandpaper around the strop, secure with bands/tape/etc. and then sharpen away. This is similar to the sandpaper on a mousepad technique. Basically, with a strop or sandpaper you are always “pulling” the blade edge and never pushing.

But frankly, I just carry an extra knife so with two blades there’s no way I’ll need to sharpen anything in the field for a single deer.
On the edge of my truck window.
I use a Havalon with replaceable blades now, takes about 15 seconds to replace.
I carry a 5" EZE lap diamond sharpener in my pack.

http://eze-lap.com/products/oval-diamond-sharpeners/
Originally Posted by szihn
I carry a 5" EZE lap diamond sharpener in my pack.

http://eze-lap.com/products/oval-diamond-sharpeners/

Steve, I’ve been carrying this Eze-Lap since the late ‘80’s. I think it was the predecessor to yours! memtb

Originally Posted by Ranger99
I learned how to sharpen a knife by hand with just a
whetstone many years ago. I screwed up a lot before
I figured it out.
Not really any places where I hunt to plug in any
electric sharpening machines

The only advice I could give if one can't sharpen a
knife by hand with a whetstone would be to obtain
one of many replaceable blade knives now available
on the market. There wasn't any such thing years back
when I learned. I'd be all over it if I couldn't do what
I do.
One other thing is to stop whacking at the stone
as soon as I get a cutting edge. It doesn't usually
take but a minute or so to put things back in order.

Good Luck

Speedy Sharp.....best Iv'e ever seen, owned, or used.

https://speedysharp.com/
I never sharpen anything in the field. Carry one knife on my belt and 3 or so in my day pack along with a small T-handle bone saw. Do all my sharpening at home on a Smith Tri-Hone 3 sided sharpening stone and use some honing oil. That way I can take my time and leisurely do a good job.
I don’t like the replaceable blades, but sound like it might be your best bet.

I use a red DMT, I like an edge a little more “toothy” than most of the above mentioned devices give.
A simple $5 ceramic sharpener that weighs next to nothing and takes about one minute to get an edge back.

I’ve used many type knife sharpeners.
My current favorite is made by Benchmark. It has 20 degree guides, a course diamond embedded plate, a fine embedded plate, various ceramics, and a leather. With this sharpener you can take a poorly sharpened knife or a fairly sharp knife to a very sharp knife.
I also like what Sagebrush has shown for a quick edge.
I started using the Outdoor Edge like Ingwe showed last year. I field dressed 2 deer with the same blade and it was still sharp. I'm not that good with a stone.

Ron
This is all you need, plus a piece of leather for a strop.

Originally Posted by NVhntr
On the edge of my truck window.

An extra knife is a lot easier to pack.
I did this alone with a havalon and two blades.

DMT folding diamond sharpner. Works. If you need it.
That DMT folder is what I use in the blind if I need a sharper knife. Mostly though, I sharpen in the workshop with a Very Fine DMT diamond plate, then use a Hard Black Arkansas stone, then a strop with a jeweler’s paste. The secret is to not dull them too badly in the first place.
memth, I also have one just like that I got in the 70. It's a great little tool.
I only leave in behind now because EZE Lap has the larger 5" one I show in the link. But it's the same company. My 1st one is old enough that I carried it when I was a Marine. I used to sharpen my Kabar and my pocket knife with it when I was in the field.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I did this alone with a havalon and two blades.

4 quarters & gutless. Seems like the rib meat was on the cutting list too. Very clean for sure.
a good custom hand made knife will do a bull elk and skin the bull too i know have done it a few times with one good knife
Originally Posted by hanco
Use a folding diamond stone, piece of saddle girth for a strop in my backpack. The strop is what really does the trick on my Buck 118’s

I used to do that but i kept nicking the mule's belly grin
For elk-size animals and smaller, if you can’t clean a couple of them on one sharpening, your knife’s steel is not very good.
I carry several different knives while hunting.
Certain knives for specific tasks..... gutting, skinning, boning, caping...
I clean them up at home. Hit them with the WorkSharp and a steel and get ready for the next trip.
Rada

That thing is awesome. It’ll take some steel off, though, more than you might want.
I carry the skeleton type buck skinner, caper& a boning model along with that smith sharpener and a removable blade when hunting elk, sometimes we get more than one from a herd. Deer hunting a sharp 110 folder has always been adequate but I usually always have a sharpener. I had to resort to a rock in a stream to finish an old boar one time & would prefer not to repeat that.
If your knife gets dull just gutting an elk, next time sharpen it before you go hunting. Skinning, OHOH, will take the edge off. The trick is to keep the same angle. There are many sharpeners that are 15 degrees. Some prefer 20 but keeping it the same is what matters. I carry one of these Smith sharpeners. There are similar brands and Smith makes variation of this one but they all have a fixed angle, a diamond hone, and most work very well.

[Linked Image from smithsproducts.com]
Forget the quick gadgets, the replaceable blades, and the for home high dollar waterstones. Honestly get yourself a good pocket knife or Swiss army unit and keep it sharp and in the pocket. Buy a couple Moras to use and practice keeping a scandi or convex edge sharp and maintained.

Next get yourself one of them folding DMT units with a med and fine side or get a Falkniven DC4. Then get a small strop. They sell these little strops pretty cheap. In a pinch you can use a leather belt afield.

This setup weighs little. A DC4 and piece of leather can keep my knives and axes in field maintained shape forever. Those disposable knives are actually really good if you dont want to learn to maintain your blade but they have an element of fiddlyness and fragility to them. They're good but a man with a good knife and the ability to maintain it is better.

Get those cheap tools and a couple Moras and go for it.

For the life of me, I can't keep a consistent angle on any stone, diamond plate or steel small enough to carry with me in the field. I end up getting it sharp, then with the next stroke wiping out all of my progress. Even with a bench-mounted stone, I am one of the unfortunate "sharpening-disabled" that never gets the results others brag about.

When hunting, I either carry more than one knife with me or use a replaceable scalpel blade knife.

I did pick up a nice drop-point skinner with a S30V blade, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I figure that should last me through the season, except in exceptional circumstances.

I carry some knives in a small bag and sharpen them at home.

Carry a Randall as a rule they dont need field sharpening.

if they do they come with small red India stone carried on the side of the scabbard that will touch one up.

$25 Forschner and a cheap steel. Keep the edge straight with the steel and I can process a lot of critters without having to actually sharpen.

When was guiding I carried two knives. Plus a third knife and my Gatco sharpening kit in my duffel bag back at camp.
I've got a couple of Doziers that will easily skin and quarter 4 deer before needing a touchup and will do an elk or moose as well without having to be touched up. Get them sharp enough to shave hair before going afield and don't worry about it.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I used to do that but i kept nicking the mule's belly grin

Lol…….plus, mules kick when they get pizzed……
I'm with rockchuck. Simple Smith sharpener. Quick, easy, takes seconds to get the edge back.
super simple. Replace the blade. I've not seen a single moose/sheep/bear guide that I've worked with lately without that setup. I've used em for years. 1-3 blades on a big moose. Can't get any easier.

At home where I can access my paper wheels I'll use a couple of fixed blade.

while some enjoy sharpening, to me its work. Run on the cardboard wheels on the grinder and call it good.
Originally Posted by LFC

Carry a Randall as a rule they dont need field sharpening.

if they do they come with small red India stone carried on the side of the scabbard that will touch one up.

Doing a few moose, a Randall won't quite do it all and IF you happen to dull it... VS so easy with havalon etc....the Randalls stay home or get used as an emergency survival blade these days.
McCrosky Custom Knives
520 S. Willis
Stillwater, OK 74074

405-624-9900

All this schitt will be over with on a hunt

Like to skin and butcher a couple of elk without ever thinking about touching a blade to sharpen....

How about skinning and butchering 4+ deer and never touch up the blade...

The real deal...not a bunch of BS

Mccroskeyknives.com

A lot of pretty schitt goes down the road after using a McCroskey knive, including everything made in Germany!

Freeking unbelievable knives!
I always used a Wyoming knife to start with and for the gut hook. Changed to a new blade and promptly left it on the shelf at home this year. Was upset about but it turns into a happy mistake.

I carry several knives in my back bak including a Bark River Canadian Belt knife that was luckily sharp. It made extremely short work of the doe my buddy took.

I use a short victorinox filet type knife for some delicate stuff nad a samll CRKT drop point but the belt knife got made most everything else unnecessary ( except a few seconds wiht the Victronix) and went through the rib cage easily.
Those little bone saws suck.

I have two type sharpeners plus a hone in my pack but like most have advised- having the knife already sharp goes a long way.. Should be part two of checking zero before season.
On the dry, bleached bones of my mortal enemies!

laugh
If you can sharpen freehand , a DC 4 and a ceramic rod is all you need.
I just buy good knives outta the gate, if I can’t work up a bull or a few deer, I’d just soon throw it over the hill

Are these American made?
Originally Posted by Texczech

Are these American made?

I use a Gerber Big Game with replaceable blades. Screw that sharpening chore.
Where I hunt the deer wear Silica on their deer hair.

Cutting open the deer belly dulls the blade.

In 2021 I got 2 deer.

The Spyderco pocket knife was sharpened with this diamond hone.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06W9J9RTN

Just a couple gentle strokes is all it needed.
Havalon eclipses all sharpening methods. But I still carry a good folder. It's a Gerber with ATS34 steel; far and away the best steel I've ever owned. The Gerber is used to split the hide and cut off the lower legs and skull. The Havalon does the rest.

Yes, I could easily use the Havalon for everything, but have a romantic attachment to the folding knife.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Havalon eclipses all sharpening methods. But I still carry a good folder. It's a Gerber with ATS34 steel; far and away the best steel I've ever owned. The Gerber is used to split the hide and cut off the lower legs and skull. The Havalon does the rest.

Yes, I could easily use the Havalon for everything, but have a romantic attachment to the folding knife.

^^^This^^^

I carry a Havolon, plus a “cheap” Gerber, and a good sheath knife. Don’t want to be sharpening in the field.
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife-Steel-Guide--3368#seeMore

PREMIUM STEELS

M390 CTS-204P CPM-20CV
CPM-M4 CPM-S90V CPM-S110V
Elmax
---------------------------------
HIGH-END STEELS
CPM-154 CPM-3V CPM-4V
CPM-S30V CPM-S35VN CTS-XHP
LC200N

--------------------------------------------------------
MID-RANGE STEELS
1095 154CM A2
D2 H1 O1
N690 VG-10

----------------------------
BUDGET STEELS
400 Series AUS-8 CTS-BD1
Sandvik Series SEE MORE>
14C28N 12C27MoV 420HC
440C 7CR17MoV 8Cr13MoV
AUS-8 CTS-BD1

I have gutted deer and antelope with all matter of premium, high end, and mid range steels. They all work about the same for me.
I just keep buying more knives because I feel like it.
© 24hourcampfire