Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carry the skeleton type buck skinner, caper& a boning model along with that smith sharpener and a removable blade when hunting elk, sometimes we get more than one from a herd. Deer hunting a sharp 110 folder has always been adequate but I usually always have a sharpener. I had to resort to a rock in a stream to finish an old boar one time & would prefer not to repeat that.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If your knife gets dull just gutting an elk, next time sharpen it before you go hunting. Skinning, OHOH, will take the edge off. The trick is to keep the same angle. There are many sharpeners that are 15 degrees. Some prefer 20 but keeping it the same is what matters. I carry one of these Smith sharpeners. There are similar brands and Smith makes variation of this one but they all have a fixed angle, a diamond hone, and most work very well.

[Linked Image from smithsproducts.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Forget the quick gadgets, the replaceable blades, and the for home high dollar waterstones. Honestly get yourself a good pocket knife or Swiss army unit and keep it sharp and in the pocket. Buy a couple Moras to use and practice keeping a scandi or convex edge sharp and maintained.

Next get yourself one of them folding DMT units with a med and fine side or get a Falkniven DC4. Then get a small strop. They sell these little strops pretty cheap. In a pinch you can use a leather belt afield.

This setup weighs little. A DC4 and piece of leather can keep my knives and axes in field maintained shape forever. Those disposable knives are actually really good if you dont want to learn to maintain your blade but they have an element of fiddlyness and fragility to them. They're good but a man with a good knife and the ability to maintain it is better.

Get those cheap tools and a couple Moras and go for it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by czech1022
I have just about given up.

For the life of me, I can't keep a consistent angle on any stone, diamond plate or steel small enough to carry with me in the field. I end up getting it sharp, then with the next stroke wiping out all of my progress. Even with a bench-mounted stone, I am one of the unfortunate "sharpening-disabled" that never gets the results others brag about.

When hunting, I either carry more than one knife with me or use a replaceable scalpel blade knife.

I did pick up a nice drop-point skinner with a S30V blade, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I figure that should last me through the season, except in exceptional circumstances.

How do YOU handle this problem?

I carry some knives in a small bag and sharpen them at home.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Carry a Randall as a rule they dont need field sharpening.

if they do they come with small red India stone carried on the side of the scabbard that will touch one up.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

$25 Forschner and a cheap steel. Keep the edge straight with the steel and I can process a lot of critters without having to actually sharpen.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

When was guiding I carried two knives. Plus a third knife and my Gatco sharpening kit in my duffel bag back at camp.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a couple of Doziers that will easily skin and quarter 4 deer before needing a touchup and will do an elk or moose as well without having to be touched up. Get them sharp enough to shave hair before going afield and don't worry about it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I used to do that but i kept nicking the mule's belly grin

Lol…….plus, mules kick when they get pizzed……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm with rockchuck. Simple Smith sharpener. Quick, easy, takes seconds to get the edge back.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
super simple. Replace the blade. I've not seen a single moose/sheep/bear guide that I've worked with lately without that setup. I've used em for years. 1-3 blades on a big moose. Can't get any easier.

At home where I can access my paper wheels I'll use a couple of fixed blade.

while some enjoy sharpening, to me its work. Run on the cardboard wheels on the grinder and call it good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LFC

Carry a Randall as a rule they dont need field sharpening.

if they do they come with small red India stone carried on the side of the scabbard that will touch one up.

Doing a few moose, a Randall won't quite do it all and IF you happen to dull it... VS so easy with havalon etc....the Randalls stay home or get used as an emergency survival blade these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
McCrosky Custom Knives
520 S. Willis
Stillwater, OK 74074

405-624-9900

All this schitt will be over with on a hunt

Like to skin and butcher a couple of elk without ever thinking about touching a blade to sharpen....

How about skinning and butchering 4+ deer and never touch up the blade...

The real deal...not a bunch of BS

Mccroskeyknives.com

A lot of pretty schitt goes down the road after using a McCroskey knive, including everything made in Germany!

Freeking unbelievable knives!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I always used a Wyoming knife to start with and for the gut hook. Changed to a new blade and promptly left it on the shelf at home this year. Was upset about but it turns into a happy mistake.

I carry several knives in my back bak including a Bark River Canadian Belt knife that was luckily sharp. It made extremely short work of the doe my buddy took.

I use a short victorinox filet type knife for some delicate stuff nad a samll CRKT drop point but the belt knife got made most everything else unnecessary ( except a few seconds wiht the Victronix) and went through the rib cage easily.
Those little bone saws suck.

I have two type sharpeners plus a hone in my pack but like most have advised- having the knife already sharp goes a long way.. Should be part two of checking zero before season.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the dry, bleached bones of my mortal enemies!

laugh

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can sharpen freehand , a DC 4 and a ceramic rod is all you need.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just buy good knives outta the gate, if I can’t work up a bull or a few deer, I’d just soon throw it over the hill

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe

I have started using the Outdoor Edge knife with replaceable blades.The blades dont weigh as much or take up as much space as sharpening devices, and when one gets dull, you just replace it and carry on. The nay sayers will point out that they dull easily and aren't good steel. Probably true, but the convenience makes up for it.

Are these American made?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by ingwe

I have started using the Outdoor Edge knife with replaceable blades.The blades dont weigh as much or take up as much space as sharpening devices, and when one gets dull, you just replace it and carry on. The nay sayers will point out that they dull easily and aren't good steel. Probably true, but the convenience makes up for it.

Are these American made?

I use a Gerber Big Game with replaceable blades. Screw that sharpening chore.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where I hunt the deer wear Silica on their deer hair.

Cutting open the deer belly dulls the blade.

In 2021 I got 2 deer.

The Spyderco pocket knife was sharpened with this diamond hone.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06W9J9RTN

Just a couple gentle strokes is all it needed.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.